Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 pm 

Is there a website that sells demo tapes.

Been looking all over the internet but can't find any!!!

Links to the websites will be very helpful.

Cheers \m/

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:00 pm 

Ummm... well I mean, there's eBay, and Discogs, and random distros like Hell's Headbangers, Dark Descent... that's where most people look for physical copies of demos. I'm going to assume you're not too familiar with buying demos, though, so I feel the need to warn you that you're not going to get many demos without paying out your ass. A demo by Immolation, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse or some similarly famous band will cost you around $100, if not more.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:48 pm 

If you're looking for tapes from newer underground bands, your best bet is to try to contact the bands themselves. There are a lot of great online resources that allow bands to get their contact info out to potential buyers; the aforementioned discogs, bandcamp, and MA itself are all good places to check for stuff like that. In my experience, a lot of bands are very eager to connect with listeners and are very helpful in providing ways to purchase their stuff. People like to know they have listeners and direct contact with buyers is just about the most immediate way of knowing that your music is getting heard.

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:40 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Ummm... well I mean, there's eBay, and Discogs, and random distros like Hell's Headbangers, Dark Descent... that's where most people look for physical copies of demos. I'm going to assume you're not too familiar with buying demos, though, so I feel the need to warn you that you're not going to get many demos without paying out your ass. A demo by Immolation, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse or some similarly famous band will cost you around $100, if not more.

Yes I do know demos from those particular bands you mentioned will cost a hell of a lot. I saw Cannibal Corpse demo on ebay go for about £250-£300.

I was more wanting to get demos from bands that aren't very well known or they are new bands to the metal genre.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:44 pm 

UKMetal wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

Yes I do know demos from those particular bands you mentioned will cost a hell of a lot. I saw Cannibal Corpse demo on ebay go for about £250-£300.

I was more wanting to get demos from bands that aren't very well known or they are new bands to the metal genre.

Feel free to pay my web site a visit UK based Underground Cassette record label - Darkness Shade Records - http://darknessshaderecords.blogspot.co.uk

Winterfell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:53 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
If you're looking for tapes from newer underground bands, your best bet is to try to contact the bands themselves. There are a lot of great online resources that allow bands to get their contact info out to potential buyers; the aforementioned discogs, bandcamp, and MA itself are all good places to check for stuff like that. In my experience, a lot of bands are very eager to connect with listeners and are very helpful in providing ways to purchase their stuff. People like to know they have listeners and direct contact with buyers is just about the most immediate way of knowing that your music is getting heard.

Also, given that the internet exists, physical demos are becoming relatively scarce (and demos on actual tape almost non-existant). Most bands will release their demos online for free download or digital purchase. That said, if you go to enough shows you'll end up with plenty of demo CDs in paper sleeves.

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 am 

Thanks Buried Death, I have also found another site that sells demos.

Reply to topic