Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
maidenpriestmanic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:45 am 

So black flag is coming to my town next week and the concert is $20, I only ever hear their stuff with rollins in the band. I am curious if any one seen the current black flag line up live yet and how where they.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 am 

Isn't there two lineups running around?
You wanna look out for the one with Greg Gin, since he was the heart and soul of Black Flag.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

maidenpriestmanic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You wanna look out for the one with Greg Gin, since he was the heart and soul of Black Flag.

I just looked and it is the greg gin line-up. So it is worth checking out. I am just not sure how there current vocalist sounds, not that matter too much as long as they play a good set.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:01 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

I just looked and it is the greg gin line-up. So it is worth checking out. I am just not sure how there current vocalist sounds, not that matter too much as long as they play a good set.

If I were you, I'd look up some youtube videos to see what Greg's current version sounds like before investing the money to see them. Yes, Black Flag was Ginn's artistic vision and you know what? He got bored of it a long time ago. He's only doing Black Flag now because Chuck and Keith got together. To be fair, Greg's new band isn't bad, barring the drummer who is really weak. Ron Reyes is the vocalist and I think he sounds fine. They do a fair amount of new songs that aren't really as good as the old stuff but they aren't awful, although I'm mystified by Greg's current hard on for the theramin, which he is incorporating a lot into the new material. I just don't know if it's worth the $25-$30 they're charging for tickets just to say I saw Greg Ginn play Black Flag sounds. On the other hand, Chuck & Keith's version has been pretty spectacular, based on the videos I've seen.

dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 pm 

My dad and my mom's friend saw them in the 80s, and like you'd expect they said it was quite the experience. I also know someone who's hung out with Henry Rollins for the day. The current lineup with Ginn in it would probably be worth seeing, as he really is the heart of the band. I know he's done some weird stuff afterwards, but the guitar on the records really is something else. I mean, they singlehandedly inspired sludge with basically three songs.

Reply to topic