Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:48 pm 

I´ve been listening to a lot of TH lately as background music as I study, and the more I try to concentrate in my books, the more I pay attention to some details and patterns that I like here. The bands I´ve hear are the classicas (Tricky, Portishead and Massive Attack) and some others that I don´t know their names.
So, last night I left the books aside and listened with full attention, and descovered that I really like some of this stuff, perhaps not the "rap" sections some of these bands have, but the overall atmosphere is somehow overwhelming and trippy, and the minimalist approach ressembles at some point to Black Meal bands like Burzum and the likes.
So, what do you think about TH?, do you find a link of it with some metal (or former metal like Ulver) artists, if you do, which and why?
Not hearsay but the will of man

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm 

A genre I've been meaning to get more into. I only know Massive Attack and Portishead, but they both have some very cool stuff.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 pm 

My only flirtations with Triphop are on Ulver's Perdition City (if you could even call it triphop? I don't know...) which I absolutely love and some random stuff that friends have shown me but I am not really familiar at all. I'll have to check out Portishead and Massive Attack.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm 

That specific Ulver album lead me to TH, it has some definitive elements of TH but is not a standard band of the genre, well, Ulver and standard don´t fit in the same sentence...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 pm 

Been meaning to get into this stuff, problem is if a guy is singing, I'm not interested. For me, it's either instrumental tracks or female vocals only. I've yet to hear Tricky, but the woman that sang on his debut (Martina Topley Bird) is awesome(not sure if it counts as trip hop, though...).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZvB8P3vGbM
A little bit more on the hip hop side of things but Neroche also has some good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuKiNI3_JB4
...and of course, Akira Yamaoka (the Silent Hill guy) who is god and wrote one the sexiest songs ever for one of the creepiest games ever. Go figure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8A22ulogJs
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:47 pm 

Perfect timing! I've been on a trip-hop binge lately and I absolutist love it!

Trip-hop is the perfect chill-out music: it's simple, hypnotic, trippy, and sexy. In fact it is so sexy that its the kind of music that would be perfect in being background music while having sex. And though it may seem extremely simple and straightforward at first listen, it is actually filled with slight hints of nuanced sounds and complexities in the background.

The usual mentions such as Massive Attack and Portishead are some of the best for sure. The first two albums of Massive Attack (which feature the first appearance of Tricky, a well-known trip-hop artist who eventually went solo afterwards) act as perfect introduction albums in showing what trip-hop is all about. A style of music that is an off-shoot of hip-hop, with rapping vocals but relaxed, trippy beats.

Now what is expected of trip-hop lately has changed somewhat and I'm guessing Portishead has something to do with it. Instead of the rapping vocals we now tend to have softly sung verses, the singer usually being a female; and the singing is sometimes so relaxed that it becomes more of a spoken-word piece than actual singing. The debut of Portishead perfectly represents this version of trip-hop (I absolutely dislike their second album however).

When it comes to Tricky however, that's when things get really weird. As I mentioned earlier, Tricky was a rapper that debuted with the group Massive Attack. He appeared in the first two albums, and then he left the group to go pursue a solo career. Tricky's discography however is plagued with hit-or-miss experimental material that relies heavily on repetitive beats and simple stripped-down, bare-bones production sound. I tend to not like his material, however his debut and his latest offering, "False Idols," is absolutely superb. Apparently his experimentation was inspired by his discomfort from the unexpected praise of his debut album. As a result his music became inconsistent and unpredictable, an attempt, I suppose, in distancing his own artistic desires from the expectations of his fans. But then on the latest album Tricky claimed he was able to get over his discomfort and make an album without any external pressure from the media and fan base. What may have seemed as pretentious artsy-fartsy talk at first has now become, what seems to be, the absolute truth; for "False Idols" is his absolute best and most consistent work since his debut album. Many who love trip-hop tend to love Tricky, but for the most part he simply is not for me (When it comes to weird, experimental material, Portishead's third album does a really good job in pulling it off. A trip-hop album with more psychedelic influence than usual, a solid album indeed!)

Other than these artist who everyone has probably has heard of at least in passing, there are also some hidden gems within the genre. Zero 7 is one group that gained some attention from the public since there music was heard in the well-known film, "Garden State." Another is a group I absolutely adore known as Crustation. They followed in the footsteps of Portishead and they unfortunately released only one album called "Bloom" in the year 1997 Despite that however I still love what they had done on the debut, and I would've loved to have seen what else they could've done with their sound.

Nochielo wrote:
Been meaning to get into this stuff, problem is if a guy is singing, I'm not interested.

Though I feel this may be a little too unfair as some solid material has male vocalists, I also find myself noticing that some of the best trip-hop material are the ones done with female vocals. The soothing vocals of females go very well with the soothing atmosphere of trip-hop beats, much much better than male vocals could ever do.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 pm 

That's it. Male vocals get in the way of trip hop's strengths. In my opinion, it is an overwhelmingly feminine form of music.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 am 

Aim is a really fantastic project, they have pretty cool album art as well.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

Wow SuperVeji4, great post, about females vocals, I like them but get old really fast for me, I hope to find some male vocals butnot like hip hop, but actually singing, like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIovpUQiro

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am 

Some of my favorite trip-hop albums, in case you guys want some recs:

Saltillo - Ganglion
Daughter Darling - Sweet Shadows
Dutch - A Bright Cold Day
Emancipator - Soon It Will Be Cold Enough

Saltillo is absolutely incredible music, mostly instrumental with some Shakespeare samplings and one or two tracks with female vocals. Daughter Darling is a personal favorite although it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. Brilliant singing by the female vocalist. Same with Dutch, it's the Jedi Mind Tricks guy making the music plus a really amazing female vocalist. Emancipator is instrumental, but very, very moving and well-written.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:35 pm 

Saltillo - Ganglion blew my mind when I first listened to it a few years back, I still love the album, but back then, damn I was just amazed. I don't like his second album in the same way, though it's still pretty good.

Ulver's Perdition City is something I recently got into, it's great of course.

Lamb is a very cool band, I love Between Darkness and Wonder (minus the title song, strangely enough), but the three (out of four or five) albums I've heard of theirs are all great.

DJ Krush has some good stuff, Recoil's good too, though way more atsmopheric and less 'song-y' than what I usually prefer.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:36 pm 

Boards of Canada.
You're welcome.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:18 am 

I've heard about Boards. Didn't think they were trip hop though, I think they were described as some sort of ambient music, but I will check it out.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:04 am 

absurder21 wrote:
Boards of Canada.
You're welcome.

kinda reminds me of Blockhead (the former producer of Aesop Rock)

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:52 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Dutch - A Bright Cold Day

it's the Jedi Mind Tricks guy making the music plus a really amazing female vocalist.

nice.
his project Vespertina sounds nice, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3ujWRONZU

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:01 am 

absurder21 wrote:
Boards of Canada.
You're welcome.

If you're going to sound like a know it all d-bag, at least pick a band that fits!

Glad this thread exists.. been meaning to get into this genre, think I'll download a bunch of stuff now :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:08 am 

Handsome Boy Modelling School has some cool songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtPVOSmeFC4

I loved Morcheeba's one album with guest vocalists instead of their usual one female singer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7G09Kcncg8

Portishead, of course. I'm kinda shocked kids today don't even know who Portishead are, I always thought of them as timeless, something everyone would know about like Elvis or Tupac, by name if not sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kLnTQEhjSs

I tend to listen to a lot of Buck 65 when I'm in a trip-hop mood, though he might not be considered trip-hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQC4i2Jh_yY
same with Everlast, just kinda mellow hip-hop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-GM4youBY
and this one Peeping Tom song with hip-hop producers Jel and Odd Nosdam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7b-U5wSEfk
speaking of Mike Patton, though... the whole Lovage album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCaLSmCAGhA

this song is hip-hop, instrumental, but I think some of you might dig it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUuI8vfS8A

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 am 

absurder21 wrote:
Boards of Canada.
You're welcome.

Nice. Perfect for my hang over too

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 pm 

TX Eroteric, will check the Mike Patton stuff, just out of curiosity, I love his voice!
I second Caspian on the fact that "...I'll download a bunch of stuff now :)"

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:49 am 

I'm sorry to say that I checked out most if not all of the recommendations here but found most of them boring :( I'm just always searching for stuff with the same gravity as Portishead, Perdition City and Saltillo, no luck though. Most of the stuff here is too 'easy listening' to my tastes, if that makes sense; I want my trip hop to be dark, emotional, and more trippy than hoppy instead of 'just' mellow or nice.

Dutch - A Bright Cold Day is probably the best new rec for me, so thanks for that :)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am 

andersbang wrote:
I'm sorry to say that I checked out most if not all of the recommendations here but found most of them boring :( I'm just always searching for stuff with the same gravity as Portishead, Perdition City and Saltillo, no luck though. Most of the stuff here is too 'easy listening' to my tastes, if that makes sense; I want my trip hop to be dark, emotional, and more trippy than hoppy instead of 'just' mellow or nice.

The OP mentioned them but (1998) Massive Attack - Mezzanine is wonderful.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 am 

I like Massive Attack's debut better than Mezzanine, but it may just be because I've listened to it more. I'm very new to triphop but I don't like anything too chilled and ambient. As andersbang said, the darkness is a big part of the appeal for me. This Saltillo sounds good though, and I've never listened to Perdition City. Tricky's album Maxinquaye is great, haven't seen that mentioned by name yet.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 pm 

A few people have mentioned Ulver's Perdition City, a favorite of mine, and while the general consensus seems to be that it's not quite trip hop per se, I'd be interested in hearing recommendations for albums that sound as close to it as possible.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
andersbang wrote:

The OP mentioned them but (1998) Massive Attack - Mezzanine is wonderful.

Thank you, but Mezzanine is one of my favorite nonmetal albums, I know and love Massive Attack (Blue Lines was the first trip hop album I listened to, my uncle introduced me back around 2002-2003 I think).

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
I like Massive Attack's debut better than Mezzanine, but it may just be because I've listened to it more. I'm very new to triphop but I don't like anything too chilled and ambient. As andersbang said, the darkness is a big part of the appeal for me. This Saltillo sounds good though, and I've never listened to Perdition City. Tricky's album Maxinquaye is great, haven't seen that mentioned by name yet.

I have yet to really get into Massive Attack. I'll have to try more albums, thanks.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
A few people have mentioned Ulver's Perdition City, a favorite of mine, and while the general consensus seems to be that it's not quite trip hop per se, I'd be interested in hearing recommendations for albums that sound as close to it as possible.

In what sense? I have read quite some times about those:
-(1996) The Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities for the urban feeling and electronic music.
-Bohren & der Club of Gore for the jazzy stuff.

andersbang wrote:
Thank you, but Mezzanine is one of my favorite nonmetal albums, I know and love Massive Attack (Blue Lines was the first trip hop album I listened to, my uncle introduced me back around 2002-2003 I think).

Ok, I had to be sure about that.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm 

I'm going to mention Sneaker Pimps, seeing as no-one else has brought them up yet. I'm only really familiar with the first album "Becoming X" which had a female singer, but she left after that album and they continued with the guitarist doing vocals. Some good tracks, especially "Low Place Like Home".

First album "Becoming X"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moRzhrYLu5E

Second album "Splinter"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdyK4jh6_A

And a brief note regarding Morcheeba (who were mentioned earlier), they were local to me; I once did work-experience at Paul Godrey's studio, and my ex once went out with Ross Godfrey!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:00 am 

Does Gonjasufi count as trip hop? I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I highly enjoyed his newest album MU.ZZ.LE.
I was surprised when I heard Portishead for the first time half a year ago. I had an idea of what they sounded like, but it turned out I was completely wrong. I found it to be oddly mezmerising.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 pm 

Netra's (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Netra/41467) "Melancolie urbaine" had a good bit of Trip Hop mixed with DBM. It's an odd mix, but it worked well. I can't speak for the other albums though.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:18 am 

Paatos - Kallocain. This one is very much Portishead influenced, maybe with a bit more of a rock approach. Grown on me a lot lately, its a nice listen for someone who likes Portishead but bemoans that they only have three albums. I can't say what their other material is like as I haven't yet heard it. Their singer has a rather gorgeous voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZNcMWRkJI

Lamb - S/T A nice listen, again like Portishead. Not quite as good as Dummy, but nice, a lot more trippy I think too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=148ksRWUw-s

Tactile Gemma - s/t. This has the Edvardsen sisters contributing vocals, of The 3rd and the mortal/Atrox fame. This album is absolutely batshit insane, never heard singing so weird as these two (although if you've heard Atrox and The 3rd and the mortals second and third album you'll know what to expect.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrw2-iGiXM

The 3rd and the mortal - memoirs. Different singer to that on the Tactile Gemma album, but this is also a nice trip-hop album. Very good vocals, a bit experimental too on some tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_a16SFwC98

The Gathering - Souvenirs. Called a trip-rock album by some, this is a great album, lots of layering going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDstMZc4IOI

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 pm 

Quality post. That Tactile Gemma song is fucked up, I love it. Best rec for me in this thread, thanks.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm 

I love trip-hop. I'm a big fan of bands like Hooverphonic, Flunk, Sunday Munich etc. I'm yet to check out the new Hooverphonic album though. And I agree that male vocals absolutely don't go with trip-hop. I intentionally avoid trip-hop with male vocals. No doubt trip-hop is sexy but it can be very melancholic at times. Flunk's last album gave me that kind of feeling. Need to listen to this genre more

Reply to topic