Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 pm 

So far five people (including the gunman) were killed in the shooting. Several others were also wounded. And the police have someone in custody for interest.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families and loved ones of the victims who were killed in the shooting.

I would like to know what you guys think of the shooting.

And NO CONSPIRACIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to not have this thread locked because you guys think the president or the government has planned this (go to any YouTube video about 9/11 and you see what I mean).

Update: Victims of the shooting include the father and brother of the shooter and someone near by the school

Edit: I will post updates about the shooting spree in the thread.

Last edited by Metalfuckingrules on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 pm 

i have my thoughts of guns but this is not a place for that discussion

RIP, hope no one else is confirmed dead and my thoughts go out to those involved negatively

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm 

This is unsettling. So many tragedies withing a year or so's time. Hopefully everyone is okay.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:19 pm 

I wonder what's is it with americans and this kind of shooting spree. Maybe the media just doesn't report this kind of thing in other places, but it seems to be a crime very particular to the USA. Even in areas with rampant crime here in Brazil we don't see this.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm 

I'm calling Obama's response right now: "it's horrible, this should have never happened, guns don't belong in the hands of people like that, let's all pray for the families, something has to be done.

3 months later: "yeah... what? Ow that? Yeah, not going to happen, sorry vast majority of the US population.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:00 pm 

Marag wrote:
I wonder what's is it with americans and this kind of shooting spree. Maybe the media just doesn't report this kind of thing in other places, but it seems to be a crime very particular to the USA. Even in areas with rampant crime here in Brazil we don't see this.

Didn't you guys have a school shooting similar to the one in Newtown? I heard someone went into a school and killed 12 children and injured 18 others before killing himself.

@henkkjelle: I'd figure Obama would say that.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 pm 

In the west kids pretty much get everything they want, technology is isolating people and can warp their perspective of the world, making them feel detached, and how they view relationships, maybe?

I read once that the Dalai Lama said he noticed how people smile less in the west, while people in poorer countries laugh and smile much more readily and spontaneously, they are more sociable and depend much more on their friends and neighbours, they are less prone to spending many hours alone.

Quote:
"people have become too self-absorbed. "I don't think people have become more selfish, but their lives have become easier and that has spoilt them. They have less resilience, they expect more, they constantly compare themselves to others and they have too much choice - which brings no real freedom".

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:42 pm 

these killers are making things worse for themselves.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:44 pm 

He's dead, I don't think he could have made it anymore worse for himself.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Didn't you guys have a school shooting similar to the one in Newtown? I heard someone went into a school and killed 12 children and injured 18 others before killing himself.

Yes, but that was pretty much the only one and an isolated case, in the USA seems like an yearly occurrence.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:31 pm 

Wow. You guys have any gun laws or something?

Also, according to police, they described the Santa Monica gunman as a 25 to 30 year old man.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:43 pm 

Yes, pretty strict ones too. But it doesn't really matter since we have more than enough armed criminals to compensate for the lack of armed civilians. But anyway that's not what's the thread is about.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:50 pm 

It would be very interesting to see the statistics for these kinds of shootings, how many people die a year on average from them when you compare it to the overall population. We have a lot of gun crime in Ireland(as far as I'm aware we have the most illegal guns in Western Europe) but it is usually confined to one gangster shooting another. I do agree with the Brazilian guy this definitely seems to be a very American thing. I remember there was one in the UK there about 20 years ago give or take, handguns and a lot of high calibre rifles were banned as a consequence. In Ireland gun laws are ridiculously strict, my uncle hunts deer and he has to register how much ammo he buys/uses every year and it can only be a very low calibre.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:55 pm 

Oh yea, right. I got a little carried on there.

And since henkkjelle brought up Obama, it's sort a strange coincidence that Obama was doing a fundraiser just three miles from the shooting itself.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
And NO CONSPIRACIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:02 pm 

It's not a conspiracy by all means. I just found it a coincidence that Obama was at a fundraiser just 3 miles from the shooting.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:05 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
And since henkkjelle brought up Obama, it's sort a strange coincidence that Obama was doing a fundraiser just three miles from the shooting itself.

Why? please don't tell me you're of the opinion that he has something to do with this stuff? I think a more logical explanation would be is the gunner decided to do it while Obama was in town as a message. I'm not particularly focusing on you but mixing politics with a tragedy like this is nothing short of fucking disgusting. Once again the malice isn't intended towards you but in America there seems to be this focus on gaining some political advantage from stuff like this and it's so degrading to the victims.

Pro or anti guns leave the shitty childeshness at the door and discuss what needs to be done objectively. Everyone on this board has an opinion on gun control one way or another but when a tragedy like this happens there needs to be something done without the NRA going tits up saying teachers should have AK's and hand grenades to deal with potential threats or the liberals bitching about how guns kill people but flowers and hugs don't. Don't blame the video games don't blame music, don't blame anything.

Put money into studying these kinds of incidents, find out the backgrounds of the killers and objectively study if the loose gun laws have had anything to do with it. American politicians are salivating at the thought of the political ground they can make up by addressing this issue.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
It's not a conspiracy by all means. I just found it a coincidence that Obama was at a fundraiser just 3 miles from the shooting.

You did say a strange coincidence. Why call it strange? If anything isn't strange it's a coincidence.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm 

Well, CNN did say that the shooter has Mental Health problems and was hospitalized for it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:13 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm calling Obama's response right now: "it's horrible, this should have never happened, guns don't belong in the hands of people like that, let's all pray for the families, something has to be done.

3 months later: "yeah... what? Ow that? Yeah, not going to happen, sorry vast majority of the US population.

:lol: I think it's great that even people who live outside this country can see how fucked up it is over here yet our politicians still can't make things happen even when the majority of the people they represent want it to be done. Big business just pays better than Joe Schmo who's kids just got gunned down in their own fucking school or the people that get caught in the cross fire during gang fights and drive by's. Oh well that's just the American way I guess. :nono: :nono: and a big :finger: to all you politicians (and the NRA) out there who won't approve the laws.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:17 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Metalfuckingrules wrote:

You did say a strange coincidence. Why call it strange? If anything isn't strange it's a coincidence.

Oh. I guess I didn't realize that when I posted it.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 pm 

And for those who are interested on how this shooting happened in the first place and who the person is, here it is: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-monica-gunman-identified-john-zawahri-20130608,0,1143675.story

They are still in the early stages of investigation, but this is what has been released.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:14 pm 

More Update: http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/06/more_details_revealed_about_sa.html
The Gunman basically planned the entire thing and had 1,300 rounds of ammo.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:11 pm 

Jesus, another one? Mass shootings almost seem like a routine occurrence in America.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 pm 

I think this stuff happens more in the US because it's just a more psychologically miserable country than most others. Many people feel isolated from society and disconnected from themselves, and just like any animal raised in an emotional vacuum(self imposed or otherwise) will often respond to the powerlessness of their situation with violent and absurd behavior.

I'm not surprised it doesn't happen in Latin American countries, despite their high levels of crime and violence(almost all of which is politically or money motivated), those countries tend to be happier on the whole as people know their neighbors, extended families are still close and there is a sense of community and cultural consensus(even in multicultural places like Brazil). The same can't be said for the States - how many americans even know our neighbors names? Hang out with family members regularly? Participate in something outside of work? This kind of rules out guns as the root cause, because there's plenty of guns in Latin America as well. Take away the weapons and you still have the root problem - a large number of people who are heartless enough to want to murder strangers.

Maybe that's why out of all these American spree killers, there's never been a metalhead carrying one out(correct me if i'm wrong), despite all the violent and macho imagery of metal. Although the metal scene is a poor substitute for family and community, it's at least _something_ to care about, a way to make friends, play in a band, meet with people and discuss whatever. Most of these spree killers like Loughner, Holmes, Sandy Hook guy etc seem so average in lifestyle and maybe the banality of their life and its lack of emotional content is what makes them so cold blooded.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:31 pm 

EDIT: Eh, nevermind. I went on a rant and later decided against it.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:54 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

he ruined his own reputation and besides he got shot by a cop anyways

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 pm 

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

he ruined his own reputation and besides he got shot by a cop anyways

Not to mention he got blood all over his clothes. Jesus Christ, now what's he gonna' do?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 am 

Nameless_Rites wrote:
I think this stuff happens more in the US because it's just a more psychologically miserable country than most others. Many people feel isolated from society and disconnected from themselves, and just like any animal raised in an emotional vacuum(self imposed or otherwise) will often respond to the powerlessness of their situation with violent and absurd behavior.

I'm not surprised it doesn't happen in Latin American countries, despite their high levels of crime and violence(almost all of which is politically or money motivated), those countries tend to be happier on the whole as people know their neighbors, extended families are still close and there is a sense of community and cultural consensus(even in multicultural places like Brazil). The same can't be said for the States - how many americans even know our neighbors names? Hang out with family members regularly? Participate in something outside of work? This kind of rules out guns as the root cause, because there's plenty of guns in Latin America as well. Take away the weapons and you still have the root problem - a large number of people who are heartless enough to want to murder strangers.

Maybe that's why out of all these American spree killers, there's never been a metalhead carrying one out(correct me if i'm wrong), despite all the violent and macho imagery of metal. Although the metal scene is a poor substitute for family and community, it's at least _something_ to care about, a way to make friends, play in a band, meet with people and discuss whatever. Most of these spree killers like Loughner, Holmes, Sandy Hook guy etc seem so average in lifestyle and maybe the banality of their life and its lack of emotional content is what makes them so cold blooded.

Agreed. Their society just doesn't seem mature enough to handle the right to bear arms. Over here in Singapore, hundreds of civilian conscripts do guard duty at their respective base camps with live ammo and world-class assault rifles that could efficiently slaughter dozens without much effort(you even have a fucking laser-pointer on the weapon for idiot-proof target sighting at night) and yet you see none of this.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am 

Quite honestly I'm a little surprised to see a thread on this since the campus usually goes on lockdowns because of crimes nearby. Has this story really spread?
I actually go there and I took my finals on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I had many friends that were actually gonna hang out at the library on Friday, and I was concerned because that's where the shooting took place. As far as I know they're all okay, but it's just so messed up to see something like this happen nearby. I'm still pretty sad about this, my thoughts go out to the families of those that were killed.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:11 am 

^Yeah, it's spread. I heard about it on the national news (though I do live in SoCal). I think this particular shooting story probably only spread because of how near the president was to it.

Anyways, hopefully this won't reignite the gun control debate. If so, I'll posts my thoughts on that later.

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:14 am 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
my thoughts go out to the families of those that were killed.

I always wonder what the fuck does that mean...what are they gonna do with your thoughts? wipe their collective mourning ass with them?

What happened to political activism?

Tragedies like this are going to happen again and again because people in America don't really give a fuck, the maximum they do is attempt telepathy with the families of the diseased (now i know what Xasthur meant by Telepathic with the Deceased, it's a cultural thing over there, actually)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 am 

altered_vlad wrote:
TheMysticWombat wrote:
my thoughts go out to the families of those that were killed.

I always wonder what the fuck does that mean...what are they gonna do with your thoughts? wipe their collective mourning ass with them?

What happened to political activism?

Tragedies like this are going to happen again and again because people in America don't really give a fuck, the maximum they do is attempt telepathy with the families of the diseased (now i know what Xasthur meant by Telepathic with the Deceased, it's a cultural thing over there, actually)

It's not that people over here don't want to get shit done, it's that in our political system the vast majority of the people get the shaft. We do it kind of backwards over here in 'Murica, sure we vote and elect our officials (only so we can sleep better at night feeling like we have done our civic duties and helped make this a better place to live) but that's as far as our influence stretches. Once they take office the vast majority (i.e. the people who elected them) become nothing but pond scum on the shoes of Big Business and Corporate America. See over here it isn't about what the country wants or needs, it's all about money...

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm 

Here is some pictures of the suspect entering the college (from CNN):

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:21 pm 

This is very sad to hear, but not surprising at all. As long as there are so many social problems along with a broad availability of weapons, shootings like these will continue to happen.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:10 pm 

somefella wrote:
Nameless_Rites wrote:

Agreed. Their society just doesn't seem mature enough to handle the right to bear arms. Over here in Singapore, hundreds of civilian conscripts do guard duty at their respective base camps with live ammo and world-class assault rifles that could efficiently slaughter dozens without much effort(you even have a fucking laser-pointer on the weapon for idiot-proof target sighting at night) and yet you see none of this.

Even with a complete lack of gun availability, people like Loughner/Holmes etc would still be **fucking crazy**. Someone that crazy, unarmed, is still a danger to society. For every nutcase mass shooter, there's also someone like Ariel Castro - just as bad without a gun. The real, ignored issue is: Why are so many people in America like this? What is it about our society that makes them go crazy? How do we fix this?

Until people start looking at the root problem and not a stupid political soapbox issue of guns vs. no guns, these people will still exist and their violent insanity will continue to manifest itself in ever more fucked up ways.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:41 pm 

Nameless_Rites wrote:
The real, ignored issue is: Why are so many people in America like this? What is it about our society that makes them go crazy? How do we fix this?

^ This is almost exactly what I was going to say. It makes more sense to prevent violent urges altogether than to simply outlaw guns. The availability of guns isn't entirely to blame when it comes to public shootings- it's parents who spoil their kids to the point where they totally lack self-control and start bullying certain peers. Yeah, guns kill people. And fucking assholes make people want to kill people.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 am 

Nameless_Rites wrote:

Until people start looking at the root problem and not a stupid political soapbox issue of guns vs. no guns, these people will still exist and their violent insanity will continue to manifest itself in ever more fucked up ways.

Exactly, that was the point of my post. A mature and civilized society armed to the teeth would be no problem.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

the retarded ass-backward north american media that actually gives these pathetic fuckwits the notoriety they so crave has more of an influence on the possibilities of BS like this happening than the availability of firearms......the CIA (or FBI? can't remember) has gone on record to say just as much and yet here we go again....guns, guns, guns!

bleh, humanity is fucking worthless.....never facing the true issues

Metalfuckingrules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 pm 

It turns out that Zawahri wrote an apology note for killing his father and brother after he killed them:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/14/us/california-santa-monica-gunman/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Reply to topic