Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 am 
 

Hello everyone, I hope I'm not causing any sort of problems here by posting this but it's something that's been bugging me for years.

Several years ago I was told that when Halford made his homosexuality public Tom Araya insulted him (I don't know if it was in an interview or somewhere else) for being gay, I can't remember exactly what he said though and now that I've been trying to find information about it on the web my search has been fruitless, so I needed to ask here since this place seems to have long time fans of Araya and therefore maybe someone knows if he said such things or not.

So, in short, Has Tom Araya ever insulted Rob Halford for being homosexual? Is he homophobic?

Well, thanks in advance for your replies.

Top
 Profile  
Samoroth
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 212
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 am 
 

Don't see why Araya's opinion on homosexuals or anything for that matter has any value.

Top
 Profile  
iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am
Posts: 497
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 am 
 

No! He never did. Tom and the rest of the guys in Slayer have always been very respectful and big fans of Judas Priest and Rob Halford. Tom's early vocals were based upon Halford's style to a very great extent.

And no Tom is not homophobic.

The only person he called "gay" was Dave Mustaine and that's because Dave had said he liked it when Tom was sucking his dick which of course never happened but that was the period when Davey was being a dick to everyone.
_________________
Thrash Was Born In Bloody Stourbridge!
marktheviktor wrote:
I think the guys in Metallica suffer from a condition known as Metal Sclerosis: the cognitive disability to play metal anymore.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 19089
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 pm 
 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
the period when Davey was being a dick to everyone.


His whole life?
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: 12 Great New Halloween Staples

Top
 Profile  
Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 am
Posts: 603
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 pm 
 

Aw, I was going to make that joke

Top
 Profile  
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm 
 

Thanks for your reply iAmDisturbed, however I just found out that Kerry King is the homophobic one yet I am confused since on an interview given on 2008 he praises Halford and I'm pretty sure he should have known he was homosexual by that time so... what the hell? Is he just making an exception while being homophobic to all other homosexuals?

Top
 Profile  
Marag
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: down there where chaos prevails
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm 
 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Thanks for your reply iAmDisturbed, however I just found out that Kerry King is the homophobic one yet I am confused since on an interview given on 2008 he praises Halford and I'm pretty sure he should have known he was homosexual by that time so... what the hell? Is he just making an exception while being homophobic to all other homosexuals?

A lot of people make an exception to Halford.

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5630
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am 
 

Tom and Rob used to have "a thing." Tom's just butt-hurt about the break up is all.

:oh shit:
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
hesychasmsa
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 am
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 am 
 

Marag wrote:
A lot of people make an exception to Halford.


There's a lot of people that actually don't like homosexuality but make exceptions for family members, close friends or celebrities because they "aren't like the others", i.e. these family members, close friends or celebrities don't conform to the negative stereotypes those people have associated with homosexuals.
_________________
Youtube For guitar covers of songs, whole albums and live footage of Stone em All and other bands from Guernsey/Jersey
Soundcloud For originals and covers
Bandcamp For originals
Youtube For originals

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2424
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am 
 

Marag wrote:
Lowtide85 wrote:
Thanks for your reply iAmDisturbed, however I just found out that Kerry King is the homophobic one yet I am confused since on an interview given on 2008 he praises Halford and I'm pretty sure he should have known he was homosexual by that time so... what the hell? Is he just making an exception while being homophobic to all other homosexuals?

A lot of people make an exception to Halford.


That and the fact that King might just praise Rob for his voice and contribution to metal instead minimizing his archievements for his sexual preference.

Still, most metalheads I know. while not homophobic per se, aren't very tolerant with homosexuals. In the very same Archives' reviews you can find plenty of gayness references for insulting a certain album, where gay is used to describe mediocre, inferior, pointless, terrible/retarded releases. That speakes volumes about the tolerance of homosexuality, especially in metal.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 819
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 am 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Marag wrote:
A lot of people make an exception to Halford.


That and the fact that King might just praise Rob for his voice and contribution to metal instead minimizing his archievements for his sexual preference.

Still, most metalheads I know. while not homophobic per se, aren't very tolerant with homosexuals. In the very same Archives' reviews you can find plenty of gayness references for insulting a certain album, where gay is used to describe mediocre, inferior, pointless, terrible/retarded releases. That speakes volumes about the tolerance of homosexuality, especially in metal.

The word "gay" has gone through a lot huh?
If someone is homosexual, that's what I call them: homosexual. I use gay just to bash people and things I don't like since it lost its original meaning and original slang meaning.
_________________
Murtal wrote:
In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Top
 Profile  
AzzaKnowldy
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 70
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm 
 

People use gay to describe everything nowadays. Most people aren't intending to be homophobic when they use it.
_________________
DISCLAIMER: The above post is probably either opinionated, ignorant, arrogant or just stupid. You have been warned.

Top
 Profile  
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:

That and the fact that King might just praise Rob for his voice and contribution to metal instead minimizing his archievements for his sexual preference.

Still, most metalheads I know. while not homophobic per se, aren't very tolerant with homosexuals. In the very same Archives' reviews you can find plenty of gayness references for insulting a certain album, where gay is used to describe mediocre, inferior, pointless, terrible/retarded releases. That speakes volumes about the tolerance of homosexuality, especially in metal.


Well, one of the things that made me reject heavy metal all those years ago was the fact that most metalheads seem to be homophobic and it's really sad to see that hasn't changed one bit, sure they might make an exception with Halford but that doesn't make it allright.

So I'm not really sure if I should listen to Slayer or not.

Top
 Profile  
AppleQueso
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 am
Posts: 2528
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm 
 

Wait that's what this is about? Asking if Kerry King is homophobic so you can decide if you should listen to Slayer or not? Oh come on, lots of us are Megadeth fans despite basically thinking Dave Mustaine is a complete d-bag, doesn't stop us from enjoying the band.

If Slayer made it a point to spread an anti-gay agenda through their music, I could maybe understand, but that's not at all the case here.

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4699
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
 

If something makes the band unenjoyable for him, he should continue listening because it is mandatory to do so or something?
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
Conservationism
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 431
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 pm 
 

I thought this was going to be slash fiction.

"'Oh, it's you,' said Tom breathlessly. 'I've been waiting.' He stepped out of the hot tub, water cascading off of him in rivulets. Halford flexed a muscular arm and then slid it around his shoulders, his tongue probing deep in Tom's warm furry mouth..."
_________________
DEATH METAL CULT
Open Directory: Grindcore

Top
 Profile  
AppleQueso
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 am
Posts: 2528
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:21 am 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
If something makes the band unenjoyable for him, he should continue listening because it is mandatory to do so or something?

Well no, of course not. Just hoping I might persuade him a little to reconsider that viewpoint. After all, he was saying that he wasn't sure if it's "okay" for him to listen to Slayer despite one of the band members holding views he disagrees with. If he's on the fence like that, I think it's worth putting in my two cents in.

If he decides it's just not something he can get past, oh well.

Top
 Profile  
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 1621
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 am 
 

if we only listen to bands with no douche bags in the band then we would not have much to listen to but listen to whatever you like as long as it doesnt conflict with your own values(for example i refuse to listen to racist music) then its your choice if you still want to listen to it or not

Top
 Profile  
iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am
Posts: 497
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm 
 

But Kerry is not homophobic either!

And of everyone in Slayer he is the biggest Priest fan. A solo Halford in the 90's and early 2000's appeared at a lot of Slayer/Pantera/Metallica/Testament et cetera gigs. I have seen footage of him pulling "Metal Gods" with Kerry on guitar and with Metallica doing "Rapid Fire".

Pantera and most of those other groove/thrash bands seemed only to know British Steel onwards Priest but Slayer were more turned on to the 70's material.

This is from 2002 (and Halford was way outta the closet by then!)
_________________
Thrash Was Born In Bloody Stourbridge!
marktheviktor wrote:
I think the guys in Metallica suffer from a condition known as Metal Sclerosis: the cognitive disability to play metal anymore.

Top
 Profile  
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:45 pm 
 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
But Kerry is not homophobic either!

And of everyone in Slayer he is the biggest Priest fan. A solo Halford in the 90's and early 2000's appeared at a lot of Slayer/Pantera/Metallica/Testament et cetera gigs. I have seen footage of him pulling "Metal Gods" with Kerry on guitar and with Metallica doing "Rapid Fire".

Pantera and most of those other groove/thrash bands seemed only to know British Steel onwards Priest but Slayer were more turned on to the 70's material.

This is from 2002 (and Halford was way outta the closet by then!)


Really? Because I have read this interview where he was asked about new drummers for Slayer (which is from 2002 as well) and when he speaks about Adrian Erlandsson (Cradle of Filth, At the Gates) says this:

Quote:
...Like the guy in Cradle Of Filth [Adrian Erlandsson], who used to play in The Haunted [and At The Gates]. He hits like a fag! He hits everything, but he hits like a fag. This is Slayer, people expect more."


http://www.knac.com/article.asp?Article ... 1BG5u.dpuf

So if he's not homophobic then what's the deal with that?

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 894
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 pm 
 

I remember only one "incident" between Halford and the Slayer guys.

During a big press conference involving lots of bands that included Slayer and Halford (I believe it might have been for an Ozzfest), Tom Araya (or maybe Kerry King) said something about this tour being great and not having any "gay metal". Some journalists and band members laughed at the comment (obviously realizing Halford was there) and the Slayer member said something like "well, you know what I mean" and that was the end of it.


There was no feud or anything, no backtalk. Obviously, that kind of thing can make some people uncomfortable. I don't think using the word gay as an adjective for things you don't like is the most productive thing in the world but I don't think that automatically makes people homophobic either. I have no idea if the guys in Slayer are homophobic or not.
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
AppleQueso
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 am
Posts: 2528
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 pm 
 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Quote:
...Like the guy in Cradle Of Filth [Adrian Erlandsson], who used to play in The Haunted [and At The Gates]. He hits like a fag! He hits everything, but he hits like a fag. This is Slayer, people expect more."


http://www.knac.com/article.asp?Article ... 1BG5u.dpuf

So if he's not homophobic then what's the deal with that?


I'm pretty certain that's just him using it in the typical slang fashion to mean "wimp" or whatever. That might make him inconsiderate, but I don't think it means that he actually hates homosexuals.

Top
 Profile  
VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:26 pm
Posts: 397
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:20 am 
 

Exactly.

Instead of being all PC (and ignorant to some extent), King used the terms "gay" and "fag" to mean wimpy not as insult to homosexuals.

Kerry King on JUDAS PRIEST and HALFORD wrote:
"Well, HALFORD, to me, is more JUDAS PRIEST than JUDAS PRIEST itself. Cause I heard 'Resurrection' and I'm like, 'That's the best JUDAS PRIEST song I've heard in ten years!' [As for JUDAS PRIEST] to me, they're failing miserably. And I hate to see them fail, because they're my own heroes, but the songwriting on these last two records, to me, just sucked a big dick."

:lol:

"sucked a big dick", there you go again with his choice of words.

Kerry King worships Rob Halford as far as I know. He did before he knew he was gay and he still does.

But it's all in the context, bro, which is why you'll always come across such stuff;
Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
"...in some dark distant future you'll meet my presence in a song..."
-David DeFeis

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 179
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 am 
 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone, I hope I'm not causing any sort of problems here by posting this but it's something that's been bugging me for years.

Several years ago I was told that when Halford made his homosexuality public Tom Araya insulted him (I don't know if it was in an interview or somewhere else) for being gay, I can't remember exactly what he said though and now that I've been trying to find information about it on the web my search has been fruitless, so I needed to ask here since this place seems to have long time fans of Araya and therefore maybe someone knows if he said such things or not.

So, in short, Has Tom Araya ever insulted Rob Halford for being homosexual? Is he homophobic?

Well, thanks in advance for your replies.



Wow, so do you vet every band member's personal beliefs, past statements, lifestyle, hobbies, to ensure they don't offend some current PC nonsensical dogma? How about outside of music? Do you do that with like mechanics, doctors, teachers? That must make it very difficult for you to enjoy most anything.

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2424
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 am 
 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Exactly.

Instead of being all PC (and ignorant to some extent), King used the terms "gay" and "fag" to mean wimpy not as insult to homosexuals.

Kerry King on JUDAS PRIEST and HALFORD wrote:
"Well, HALFORD, to me, is more JUDAS PRIEST than JUDAS PRIEST itself. Cause I heard 'Resurrection' and I'm like, 'That's the best JUDAS PRIEST song I've heard in ten years!' [As for JUDAS PRIEST] to me, they're failing miserably. And I hate to see them fail, because they're my own heroes, but the songwriting on these last two records, to me, just sucked a big dick."

:lol:

"sucked a big dick", there you go again with his choice of words.

Kerry King worships Rob Halford as far as I know. He did before he knew he was gay and he still does.

But it's all in the context, bro, which is why you'll always come across such stuff;
Spoiler: show
Image


Hahahah! That was probably on purpose, as a double meaning kind of joke.

Lowtide85 wrote:
Quote:
...Like the guy in Cradle Of Filth [Adrian Erlandsson], who used to play in The Haunted [and At The Gates]. He hits like a fag! He hits everything, but he hits like a fag. This is Slayer, people expect more."


http://www.knac.com/article.asp?Article ... 1BG5u.dpuf

So if he's not homophobic then what's the deal with that?


Strange, they turned down Proscriptor for playing 'too hard':

Proscriptor wrote:
...Yes, I truly auditioned for Slayer and made the top 5 drummers to try out; actually I came in 3rd place. Roddy (Hate Enternal) and Talley (Misery Index) supposedly came ahead of me, but I really did not care at the time. My main objective was to record on one Slayer album only and then resign. Kerry King once said in an interview, after the try-out, that I played extremely too hard, too fast and I completely cracked two of the cymbals, which utterly did not impress him. The funny part about this is that it was Vinnie Paul's (Pantera) drum set and I abused it like a French whore! Anyway, if I am going execute drums in any band that perform in, I am going to beat the shit out of them. It's as simple as that.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHhvefoneo

Other versions say Araya didn't want Proscriptor for being too much into the occult, being him a quite catholic guy. Lastly, the audition was only a way to get Lombardo back once again.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm 
 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone, I hope I'm not causing any sort of problems here by posting this but it's something that's been bugging me for years.

Several years ago I was told that when Halford made his homosexuality public Tom Araya insulted him (I don't know if it was in an interview or somewhere else) for being gay, I can't remember exactly what he said though and now that I've been trying to find information about it on the web my search has been fruitless, so I needed to ask here since this place seems to have long time fans of Araya and therefore maybe someone knows if he said such things or not.

So, in short, Has Tom Araya ever insulted Rob Halford for being homosexual? Is he homophobic?

Well, thanks in advance for your replies.

Wow, so do you vet every band member's personal beliefs, past statements, lifestyle, hobbies, to ensure they don't offend some current PC nonsensical dogma? How about outside of music? Do you do that with like mechanics, doctors, teachers? That must make it very difficult for you to enjoy most anything.

There's a difference between not being politically correct (how much of metal actually is?) and someone representing something you find plain offensive, and I definitely find it understandable if someone would have a problem with someone being openly homophobic. But then, the OP doesn't even say that, he just asks for information.
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
Marag
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: down there where chaos prevails
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:18 am 
 

Conservationism wrote:
I thought this was going to be slash fiction.

"'Oh, it's you,' said Tom breathlessly. 'I've been waiting.' He stepped out of the hot tub, water cascading off of him in rivulets. Halford flexed a muscular arm and then slid it around his shoulders, his tongue probing deep in Tom's warm furry mouth..."

You seem to have a knack for this kind of thing, I'm sure if you put more dedication you can become one of the greatest gay-porno fiction writers in the entire metal realm, second only to Manowar.

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4699
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 am 
 

TheLiberation wrote:
There's a difference between not being politically correct (how much of metal actually is?) and someone representing something you find plain offensive, and I definitely find it understandable if someone would have a problem with someone being openly homophobic. But then, the OP doesn't even say that, he just asks for information.

Good point. The anti-PC crowd sure does love to harass people a lot more than the imaginary PC communazis they always complain about.

I listen to a lot of black metal, and really most of it isn't that un-PC. Forests, paganism, darkness, being lonely, imaginary battles, etc. None of this stuff is strictly Politically Incorrect. Killing Christians? According to Christians, anti-Christianity is PC.
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 954
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
That and the fact that King might just praise Rob for his voice and contribution to metal instead minimizing his archievements for his sexual preference.

Still, most metalheads I know. while not homophobic per se, aren't very tolerant with homosexuals. In the very same Archives' reviews you can find plenty of gayness references for insulting a certain album, where gay is used to describe mediocre, inferior, pointless, terrible/retarded releases. That speakes volumes about the tolerance of homosexuality, especially in metal.


It really doesn't speak "volumes." Unfortunately for your argument, usage of the word "gay" to describe things as shit, or whatever, does not necessarily mean a person is homophobic anymore. I mean, homosexuals themselves use the word to describe stupid shit. Haha. My sister is gay, she does it all the time. Also, if you "aren't very tolerant with homosexuals", you are absolutely homophobic.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 179
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
There's a difference between not being politically correct (how much of metal actually is?) and someone representing something you find plain offensive, and I definitely find it understandable if someone would have a problem with someone being openly homophobic. But then, the OP doesn't even say that, he just asks for information.

Good point. The anti-PC crowd sure does love to harass people a lot more than the imaginary PC communazis they always complain about.

I listen to a lot of black metal, and really most of it isn't that un-PC. Forests, paganism, darkness, being lonely, imaginary battles, etc. None of this stuff is strictly Politically Incorrect. Killing Christians? According to Christians, anti-Christianity is PC.


Nope. Where in the US do you live that this is the case? If you think black metal is PC compliant you need to read some more interviews. The OP is free to determine what bands he wants to listen to, and if something offends his PC sensibilities that's his choice. Letting a bunch of strangers on a metal tell him what they think Tom Araya's personal thoughts/beliefs are on homosexuality, so that he can feel PC compliant when listening to Slayer, seems a bit overzealous to me, but then again so does the whole notion of PC ideology.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4384
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:44 pm 
 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Letting a bunch of strangers on a metal tell him what they think Tom Araya's personal thoughts/beliefs are on homosexuality, so that he can feel PC compliant when listening to Slayer

And where exactly does OP say that? :durr:

Looks to me like you're kinda proving John's point :roll:
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 pm 
 

I'm kind of stunned there are people who don't distinguish the difference between "being politically correct" and "being against offending people".
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 179
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am 
 

inhumanist wrote:
FJ Receptor wrote:
Letting a bunch of strangers on a metal tell him what they think Tom Araya's personal thoughts/beliefs are on homosexuality, so that he can feel PC compliant when listening to Slayer

And where exactly does OP say that? :durr:

Looks to me like you're kinda proving John's point :roll:


Well, one of the things that made me reject heavy metal all those years ago was the fact that most metalheads seem to be homophobic and it's really sad to see that hasn't changed one bit, sure they might make an exception with Halford but that doesn't make it allright.

So I'm not really sure if I should listen to Slayer or not.


Right there. He's not really sure if he should listen to Slayer or not and he's asking you all about Tom's opinions.

Top
 Profile  
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 179
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am 
 

TheLiberation wrote:
I'm kind of stunned there are people who don't distinguish the difference between "being politically correct" and "being against offending people".


Well, I'm kind of stunned there are metal heads who embrace PC BS. It's really just a form of censorship through guilt. I'm not one to go out of my way to offend people. Not by a long shot, but with this kind of music is based on rebellion of the mainstream and always has been. Take it or leave it. He's worried about what Tom said about Rob years ago being gay. What about subject matter Tom sings about? Aren't you offending Jews by listening to Angel of Death? What about the designs on Slayer's shirts? What about Christians offended by that kind imagery? Should PC dictate to not offend those people you can only listen to Slayer with headphones? Should you only wear their shirts at home?

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2242
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
 

I think the OP had a valid question until he stated that he didn't listen to metal simply because he had this view that homophobia was rampant in metal music and seemed to be still thinking that way and using any casual thing said by Kerry King (who is pretty much a known jokster and equal opportunity offender) to disqualify himself from listening to Slayer. This sort of reasoning might lead just about any person anywhere to stop watching South Park since they've pretty much mocked every single existing person/viewpoint on the planet.

TheLiberation wrote:
I'm kind of stunned there are people who don't distinguish the difference between "being politically correct" and "being against offending people".


I've yet to meet an outwardly PC person who doesn't constantly fail to make this distinction, so I began feeling safe in the assumption that it didn't exist.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
TheLiberation
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 pm 
 

FJ Receptor wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
I'm kind of stunned there are people who don't distinguish the difference between "being politically correct" and "being against offending people".


Well, I'm kind of stunned there are metal heads who embrace PC BS. It's really just a form of censorship through guilt. I'm not one to go out of my way to offend people. Not by a long shot, but with this kind of music is based on rebellion of the mainstream and always has been. Take it or leave it. He's worried about what Tom said about Rob years ago being gay. What about subject matter Tom sings about? Aren't you offending Jews by listening to Angel of Death? What about the designs on Slayer's shirts? What about Christians offended by that kind imagery? Should PC dictate to not offend those people you can only listen to Slayer with headphones? Should you only wear their shirts at home?

Actually I'm under the impression there are no metalheads who are "politically correct", as political correctness means being afraid not to accidentally offend anyone even in the slightest, including not using any stronger language, and as you can guess, nobody listening to metal gives a fuck about it. However, being unhappy with certain people being assholes and offending people for no apparent reason is a different issue entirely. Do I seriously need to explain the difference between disliking homophobia and similar matters because "it's politically incorrect" and because you consider people representing it to be assholes or at least of kind of questionable attitude?

Another thing is that this thread is not completely random "this musician seems like a good guy BUT I HEARD HE'S HOMOPHOBIC FUCK HIM", as Kerry King is not exactly known to be the nicest person in metal, and him collectively with Tom Araya also haven't showed too much gentlemanly behaviour recently (although King was usually the "spokesman").

hells_unicorn wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
I'm kind of stunned there are people who don't distinguish the difference between "being politically correct" and "being against offending people".


I've yet to meet an outwardly PC person who doesn't constantly fail to make this distinction, so I began feeling safe in the assumption that it didn't exist.

Hm? I'm kind of confused.
_________________
Poisonfume wrote:
I marvel at the clusterfuck of confusion we have constructed.

Top
 Profile  
Conservationism
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 431
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:27 pm 
 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
But Kerry is not homophobic either!


It's juvenile to divide the world into homophobic/not.

These political topics all fail.

I'd like to go back to writing Tom/Rob slash. What happens when beards lock?
_________________
DEATH METAL CULT
Open Directory: Grindcore

Top
 Profile  
Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:28 am
Posts: 126
Location: Egypt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am 
 

Conservationism wrote:

I'd like to go back to writing Tom/Rob slash. What happens when beards lock?


we shatter and explooooooooode!
_________________
from the ills of my whimsy rose Napero's poem

Top
 Profile  
Lowtide85
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm
Posts: 51
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:38 am 
 

Well, it seems that being politically incorrect is what most people here want because it's so "heavy metal" but then again, what is political correctness? 60 years ago or so racism wasn't viewed as a bad thing, in fact it was encourage and I'm guessing homophobia was as well... so what would have happened if heavy metal had been born at those days? Probably most of you would have supported african-americans and homosexuals since it would have been P.I, right? So this makes me realize something that is ugly to say but true:

Headbangers will side with whatever is considered P.I depending on the times they live in, selling their "rebellion" to fight alongside those who are against anything that's considered good by the "mainstream". Given the evidence on this thread and others of this forum I strongly believe this to be true which is actually pretty pathetic and sad, now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't heavy metal rebellious mainly because of its sound? You could be singing about hamburgers and still be considered brutal just cause of the loudness?

That's pretty much it for now... and about the topic it seems that almost no one here is certain about Kerry King being a total homophobe so maybe I was rushing a little in passing judgement.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4384
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 am 
 

Please don't generalize based on a few vocal individuals.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CorpseFister, Crick, Empyreal, inhumanist, PhilosophicalFrog and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group