Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: In the Open Sea
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:57 am 
 

Hey, I don't blame you. I'm not particularly pleased with how this all went down, either. But .. it's because of his manners that the dismissal even happened. And like I said, I was hungover. People who don't see eye to eye rarely have good arguments. He was just making a bunch of assumptions about me I didn't care to defend against.

FTR, only my first post was sarcastic. The rest can be chalked up to bad writing, but .. yeah. I've already talked about the books I wanted to mention. The rest of my "contribution" was a fool's errand by a mediocre writer. No hard feelings, I'm just starting to see why no one wants to talk about this stuff around here.

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:24 am 
 

Well, I like talking about it. I always thought people into metal and all things occult and esoteric kind of went hand in hand, although I can see that's probably a bit of a generalisation. Still, I thought there'd be a few metallers on here who like to discuss this stuff.

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1658
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm 
 

We should all gather at the standing stones, and talk business.

Top
 Profile  
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 pm
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 am 
 

@ Grave_Wyrm

Can you recommend something with a more modern twist to it, say something that mixes science with the occult? I remember Burroughs said something about how in the future researchers would integrate the sciences and the occult in hopes of better understanding each with respect to one another? If not, how about some good fiction or sci-fi that refers to the occult, its historical texts and practices? Something like a modern day version of Burroughs' The Western Lands that dealt with the Egyptian Book of The Dead.

Image

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 am 
 

Scientists are already finding out that things get a bit strange when you're down at a quantum level, even believing that our own conciousness may utilise this new branch of physics. Some particles react to thought alone.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: In the Open Sea
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 pm 
 

nekuomanteia wrote:
I remember Burroughs said something about how in the future researchers would integrate the sciences and the occult in hopes of better understanding each with respect to one another?

I can see why Burroughs would say that. It's pretty often that a spiritualist will point to something in science and compare it to something they heard from their yogi (nevermind that the yogi could just as easily have read it, too, since yogis can probably use computers). And to a certain degree, I'd say that in the dawn of discovery they had a fair amount of "beginner's luck". Some of the reasons meditation, for example, can be shown to have beneficial health effects is because the complex state of rest is a state the body naturally finds when it's in need of repair. People who did this more often were less stressed and better rested, able to consider things more patiently, were provided time to reflect, and could be more measured. The difference is that the mechanist/materialist hold the mechanism responsible, while the spiritualist/animist hold the belief responsible (or in the case drterror666 is making, IMMERSIVE BELIEF: you consider something long enough to refine the idea, then ignore or avoid as many aversive conditions as you can, and credit belief for what could otherwise be called "setting about the business" while refreshed after a sitting up nap. It's like calling rehearsal magic.).

To hold a minority of similarities as validation for an entire system of belief is a significant error (I'm baffled by how Christians can even stand the bible). The early "occultists", who weren't that at the time any more than the indigenous people here were "Native Americans", were wrong about a lot more than they were right, but some of the things they got right were logical and effective then for the same reasons they are today: reality has not changed. Imagination worked, the endochrine system was there, serotonin flooded the brain then as it does now when the retinas cease relaying stimulation; not to mention the ever present x factor of THE ALMIGHTY PLACEBO .. PLACEBO .. Placebo ...

When the Egyptians went about their studies of anatomy, the same systems were found (The corpus callosum wrapping about the thallamus was the basis for the design of The Eye of Horus). They put a magical tag on the cadaver's toe and sipped on colloid silver made from a melted down heirloom. They also made a crude battery. The same mechanics are at work at the thin overlap of science and the occult (the established and the theoretical). So that's why people say the occult is bollocks: it's rhetorical/contextual chaff around the fertile seed of mechanistic knowledge. Science is redundant in that way: it's got .. to pass .. the test. The reasonable person credits the compound in the medicine, whereas the spiritualist credits the shape of the pill.


As far as books, sorry, nekuomanteia, I intentionally stayed away from the lion's share of occult fiction. There's the obligatory quip of "if you want to read occult fiction, pick up any of the sacred texts". I prefer pure fiction because if I'm going to be indulging in my imagination, I'd rather like it to be fun!

Of what little I've read, modern non-fiction work is limited to the better portions of Disinformation Press. Ralph Metzner is an odd guy. Burroughs is a favorite over there. In fiction, my closest experiences are Foucault's Pendulum (which I didn't finish, but was very good); I've heard good reviews of Robert A. Wilson's The Illuminatus Trilogy (fiction), but haven't read them; I'm always quick to recommend Gene Wolfe's Latro in the Mist. It's not "occult fiction" by any stretch, but it is a beautiful, masterfully handled work of historical fiction set during the Peloponnesian War when belief in and rituals to the gods were intrinsic to one's life and society; and freakin William Blake, man! That guy wrote the best religious/occult fiction you're likely to find. It's unclear how much he took it to be fiction, but whatever .. I don't have to be religious to like Bosch or the wood work in 16 century cathedrals, either.

Do NOT .. I repeat DO NOT read The Secret (unless you want to have an educated opinion about your toilet paper). That is the biggest piece of infuriating shit I've come across. The fact that that asshole had people literally expire in his overcrowded sweat lodge ... What the absolute fuck .. Like a Darwin Awards Jonestown. Fuck .. YOU, shit book! I feel similarly about The Alchemist and, to a less bilious degree, The Prophet. Ach .. there's so much bullshit!!

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7293
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:17 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
Some particles react to thought alone.


Source?
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
Scientists are already finding out that things get a bit strange when you're down at a quantum level, even believing that our own conciousness may utilise this new branch of physics. Some particles react to thought alone.


False.

I think this claim, which is incessantly and infuriatingly repeated by scientifically illiterate people, stems from a basic misunderstanding of what an "observation" is in terms of quantum mechanics. Hint: it doesn't mean "someone thinking about it."

Counterintuitive and magical aren't the same thing. Quantum mechanics is really weird but it has nothing whatsoever to do with magic. It's a description of entirely natural phenomena that can be clearly described with mathematics, it's just hard to get your head around outside of the equations.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9357
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm 
 

Woo-woos misunderstanding and misappropriating quantum physics? Say it ain't so!
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 am 
 

OK, OK, so I'll leave the whole quantum thing as it's just theory that I've read at some point. I couldn't give a source, as it was long ago I read about it.

Anyway, as this thread is about the Occult, I'll write down some thoughts.

I don't like the word 'occult' when used to describe abilities that our ancient ancestors had (which few modern tribes possess) that are freely available to everyone. I've studied Occult literature for a long time and I came to the conclusion ages back that it's the same as our ancestors were doing, but dressed up with all sorts of romantic nonsense.

My belief is that we are surrounded by an energy field that connects us all to one another and the universal conciousness. This energy source can be manipulated when in a deep, trance state (what Occultists / Chaosites like to call Gnostic Trance) to do just about anything. Of course, it's not going to solve the question of world hunger or anything like that, but it can be utilised to help one's own life and other people's. This is all based on things I have experienced myself. I didn't need any candles, robes, effigies, physical altars, etc. I didn't need to be sitting in a hay field facing north when the moon was full at exactly 01:15. It doesn't work like that. Everything you need is already in your mind.

There are others of us out here who feel that this information should be freely available to everyone in order for us to all have a better life. Our ancestors knew of this stuff and so should we. It should not be guarded like some arcane secret by a theatrical looking bunch who think they're better than everyone else.

So, er, mote it be, or something like that.

Top
 Profile  
Bede
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:58 am
Posts: 209
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
 

I feel like reading a Final Fantasy plot here.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7293
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
OK, OK, so I'll leave the whole quantum thing as it's just theory that I've read at some point. I couldn't give a source, as it was long ago I read about it.

Anyway, as this thread is about the Occult, I'll write down some thoughts.

I don't like the word 'occult' when used to describe abilities that our ancient ancestors had (which few modern tribes possess) that are freely available to everyone. I've studied Occult literature for a long time and I came to the conclusion ages back that it's the same as our ancestors were doing, but dressed up with all sorts of romantic nonsense.

My belief is that we are surrounded by an energy field that connects us all to one another and the universal conciousness. This energy source can be manipulated when in a deep, trance state (what Occultists / Chaosites like to call Gnostic Trance) to do just about anything. Of course, it's not going to solve the question of world hunger or anything like that, but it can be utilised to help one's own life and other people's. This is all based on things I have experienced myself. I didn't need any candles, robes, effigies, physical altars, etc. I didn't need to be sitting in a hay field facing north when the moon was full at exactly 01:15. It doesn't work like that. Everything you need is already in your mind.

There are others of us out here who feel that this information should be freely available to everyone in order for us to all have a better life. Our ancestors knew of this stuff and so should we. It should not be guarded like some arcane secret by a theatrical looking bunch who think they're better than everyone else.

So, er, mote it be, or something like that.


I don't know if I'd exactly describe New World Order Jewish reptilians as "theatrical looking." Actually, quite the opposite - they have to blend in, you know.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
My belief is that we are surrounded by an energy field that connects us all to one another and the universal conciousness. This energy source can be manipulated when in a deep, trance state (what Occultists / Chaosites like to call Gnostic Trance) to do just about anything. Of course, it's not going to solve the question of world hunger or anything like that, but it can be utilised to help one's own life and other people's. This is all based on things I have experienced myself. I didn't need any candles, robes, effigies, physical altars, etc. I didn't need to be sitting in a hay field facing north when the moon was full at exactly 01:15. It doesn't work like that. Everything you need is already in your mind.


This is a testable truth claim about the world. Thing is, every time it's tested, it's proven wrong, every single time.

And don't go all conspiracy theorist on me. If a scientist could prove that magic was real, it would be the biggest breakthrough of all time. That's what scientists live for. No one would hush this stuff up. But science is really good at figuring out how the world actually works -- and it turns out the world doesn't work like you say it does.

There is no mystical energy field. You're tricking yourself into thinking you're doing something when you're not. We even know exactly how.

Top
 Profile  
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 pm
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:41 am 
 

Why do these 'detractors' insist on posting on subjects they don't like and in which the OP never invited? Seriously, look up the thread 'What's the most brutal death metal right now?' and the same shit happens. People go in talking shit about the genre when clearly nobody ever asked them what they thought.

Quote:
I've been getting into the teachings of Crowley and reading the Book Of The Law as well as Magick Without Tears. I am stumped on Qaballah and all of the numbers a bit, but I'm pressing on. Does anyone else here study the occult, and if so, what do you recommend reading/studying?

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:23 am 
 

FearTheNome wrote:
And don't go all conspiracy theorist on me. If a scientist could prove that magic was real, it would be the biggest breakthrough of all time. That's what scientists live for. No one would hush this stuff up. But science is really good at figuring out how the world actually works -- and it turns out the world doesn't work like you say it does.


Is magic (that's discussed here) events that are currently unexplained, as of yet? Or are we talking in the realms of;

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble"


"Last of the magicians"
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 am 
 

FearTheNome wrote:
drterror666 wrote:
There is no mystical energy field. You're tricking yourself into thinking you're doing something when you're not. We even know exactly how.


Well, you won't be the first psychology fan to say I talk a load of crap and throw various theories at me. The thing is, it's much easier to believe in the whole science and psychology thing because it can be proved. I could say to you that I've experienced things that just don't make sense when measured against a scientific ruler, but that's just the way it is. You either believe or you don't and I'm not going to try and convert anyone. I just pass on my knowledge and theories and invite other people to do the same.

How about this, which is loosely to do with this thread, but you won't be able to explain it anyway. Our expanding universe is contained within a place scientists, astrophysicists, etc. call the Void, because there's nothing but darkness (and possible other universes). Now, this Void has no size or age. It has been here for eternity; it never began and will probably never end and is infinite by design. Get your head around that concept. The alternative would have been nothingness, which is also really difficult to imagine. The point I'm making here is that there are things out there that cannot be explained using traditional physics.

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am 
 

mindshadow wrote:
FearTheNome wrote:
And don't go all conspiracy theorist on me. If a scientist could prove that magic was real, it would be the biggest breakthrough of all time. That's what scientists live for. No one would hush this stuff up. But science is really good at figuring out how the world actually works -- and it turns out the world doesn't work like you say it does.


Is magic (that's discussed here) events that are currently unexplained, as of yet? Or are we talking in the realms of;

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble"


"Last of the magicians"


I don't like the term magic (or magick), but I suppose it is used when scientific explanation is at a loss. As for Macbeth, I've seen it many times, both at the theatre and on TV. That Shakespeare knew his stuff, even if he did rip most of it off from other writers!

I think, in this thread, magic is the unexplained stuff.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7293
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am 
 

drterror666 wrote:
The thing is, it's much easier to believe in the whole science and psychology thing because it can be proved.


This sentence shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the scientific method that is likely a contributing factor to your mistrust of what it can be used to accomplish.

"Proof" is not something scientists are really concerned with at all. Proving things is for mathematicians. Science is an inductive process, not a deductive one. Scientific theories can be confirmed or disproved but they can never be proved.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS


Last edited by iamntbatman on Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8403
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 am 
 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
In fiction, my closest experiences are Foucault's Pendulum (which I didn't finish, but was very good)

An excellent book, but needs to be read through in a week. A reading period any longer than that, and you start to lose the subtleties buried in it. Not suitable for toilet reading, in other words.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I've heard good reviews of Robert A. Wilson's The Illuminatus Trilogy (fiction), but haven't read them

Sucks. Big time. Sucks a donkey. Heavily, and with disturbing dedication. Not worth your time.

It simply reeks of a couple of hippies writing half-paranoid and half-"illuminated" crap while baked off their asses... which, incidentally, is known to be how it factually went. A couple of nice ideas, a funny atmosphere, but gets old in the beginning of the second book as you notice it's all blabbering with no real content, and keeps going downhill thereafter, with nothing to back the so-called story up.

If you want to read something worthwhile by Robert A. Wilson, I suggest Masks of the Illuminati. It actually makes some token sense after you figure out the weird logic of the way it was written. It's also relatively short, so if you get fed up with it, you will not have invested an unreasonable amount of time in it before quitting.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
I don't like the term magic (or magick), but I suppose it is used when scientific explanation is at a loss. As for Macbeth, I've seen it many times, both at the theatre and on TV. That Shakespeare knew his stuff, even if he did rip most of it off from other writers!

I think, in this thread, magic is the unexplained stuff.



I think this is a really basic problem. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and say we can't understand something. Likewise, just because science hasn't explained something yet doesn't mean that it won't, because every problem is a mystery until it's solved. Saying "it's magic" just shuts off inquiry.


That's a moot point for this thread, though, since we understand clearly why it can sometimes appear that meditation and positive thinking has a mystical effect on events, even though we can show conclusively that it doesn't. This work has already been done. There's no mystery at all.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: In the Open Sea
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:03 pm 
 

Napero wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Foucault's Pendulum

An excellent book, but needs to be read through in a week. A reading period any longer than that, and you start to lose the subtleties buried in it. Not suitable for toilet reading, in other words.

.. leave it curling in the shower steam next to Make Love! the Bruce Campbell Way. I got half way through and then stupid real life took the free time, and I didn't want to forge ahead and spoil it. I'll start over entirely, since the beginning actually has context now.

Napero wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Robert A. Wilson's The Illuminatus Trilogy

Sucks. Big time. Sucks a donkey. Heavily, and with disturbing dedication. Not worth your time. ...
half-paranoid and half-"illuminated" crap while baked off their asses...

ech .. disappointing, but it's what I feared. I must have caught a wiff of unwashed donkey penis. :(

Now that I think about it, that's basically been my reaction to the vast majority of this kind of material: varying levels of repulsion proportionate to the strength of the scent of unwashed donkey penis.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9357
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
Well, you won't be the first psychology fan to say I talk a load of crap and throw various theories at me. The thing is, it's much easier to believe in the whole science and psychology thing because it can be proved. I could say to you that I've experienced things that just don't make sense when measured against a scientific ruler, but that's just the way it is. You either believe or you don't

Ironic how most occult fans probably hate Christianity, but are actually no different in terms of mindset and gullibility...

Quote:
and I'm not going to try and convert anyone. I just pass on my knowledge and theories and invite other people to do the same.

You have neither knowledge, nor theories. You have faith (which isn't knowledge), and beliefs (which aren't theories as they aren't testable or verifiable -- and when they are, they are disproven).

Quote:
The point I'm making here is that there are things out there that cannot be are not yet explained using traditional physics.

FTFY
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 pm 
 

drterror666 wrote:
The point I'm making here is that there are things out there that cannot be explained using traditional physics.


*yet.
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
baron samedi
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Kyoto, Japan
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm 
 

it's good for the digestive system!

Top
 Profile  
ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Los Osos, California
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 am 
 

The scientific method is very good at explaining physical natural phenomena. Matters of metaphysics often times actually cannot be explained because for all intents and purposes are not real in the physical sense. You cannot prove using science whether or not God exists. That being said, that fact doesn't make God any less real for people I've met that believe in both God and science. Science is nothing more or less than a method for describing physical phenomena. Science is not a god.

Top
 Profile  
baron samedi
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Kyoto, Japan
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:16 am 
 

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
metaphysics are not real

Finally someone making sense in here

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am 
 

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
The scientific method is very good at explaining physical natural phenomena. Matters of metaphysics often times actually cannot be explained because for all intents and purposes are not real in the physical sense. You cannot prove using science whether or not God exists... Science is nothing more or less than a method for describing physical phenomena.


That's only true in a very limited sense. There are only two kinds of gods that science can't disprove:

1) An omniscient, omnipotent trickster god who is deliberately trying to fool us into thinking it doesn't exist, and has created a flawless deception with no errors.
If this is the case, its existence doesn't matter, because a universe with one is indistinguishable from one without.

2) An inactive, deistic god that is out there somewhere but never, ever does anything. As before, its existence doesn't matter, because we could never tell.


What do these gods have in common? They never touch the natural world. Because the instant you say your gods or spirits or magic are doing things in the real world, you're making a testable hypothesis about how the natural world works. If gods are real and they really do stuff, or if magic is real and you can really cast spells that affect the natural world, then that's as much a part of the natural world as gravity or magnetism, and therefore they are subject to scientific investigation.

And we all know what science discovers when it investigates claims about gods and spirits and magic.

Top
 Profile  
ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Los Osos, California
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
 

Didn't Einstein say that his scientific discoveries strengthen his belief in God?

That being said, humans can only observe reality using our brains perception of our five senses. The reality we inhabit just as easily could be as much of an illusion as many of you say God and Magick are. Repeatability serves us in that we can come to consensus about certain physical occurrences, but for whatever reason, at the quantum level, not of those principles apply and we are left once again questioning the universe.

More on topic, has anyone here read any biblical apocrypha? Personally I find it far more interesting than the 2000 year old game of telephone that the mainstream bible is.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9357
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:32 pm 
 

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
Didn't Einstein say that his scientific discoveries strengthen his belief in God?

Pretty sure he didn't, but so what if he did? Authority fallacy.

Quote:
The reality we inhabit just as easily could be as much of an illusion as many of you say God and Magick are.

Sophism. :rolleyes:
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: In the Open Sea
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
ChaosGoatKills wrote:
The reality we inhabit just as easily could be as much of an illusion as many of you say God and Magick are.

Sophism. :rolleyes:

+1 .. not to mention that would make God and Magick not-real squared.

Top
 Profile  
nekuomanteia
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 pm
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm 
 

This is a fascinating series I highly recommend called Magical Egypt by John Anthony West. He brings on other guests each giving their take on Egypt, its history, cosmology, harmony and chaos cycles, architecture, art, philosophy, way of life as well as drawing comparisons to other cultures like ancient India and Mesoamerica.

part 1 - The Invisible Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tshlYmX8OkI

part 2 - The Old Kingdom and still Older Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAImOggWolo

part 3 - Descent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1FbVEGzJA0

part 4 - The Temple In Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xli3uYjfJqA

part 5 - Navigating the Afterlife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyob7cjqkk

part 6 - Legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6MCkWzn5c

part 7 - Illumination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJxeg5jDmw

part 8 - Cosmology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5c608C9RY


Another great series is The Pyramid Code by Carmen Boulter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHSECwJKo0M

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9357
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:21 pm 
 

nekuomanteia wrote:
This is a fascinating series I highly recommend called Magical Egypt by John Anthony West. He brings on other guests each giving their take on Egypt, its history, cosmology, harmony and chaos cycles, architecture, art, philosophy, way of life as well as drawing comparisons to other cultures like ancient India and Mesoamerica.

This dude is associated with the likes of Graham Hancock and doesn't believe in evolution (comparing to fascism for some reason)? Yeah, doesn't seem much better than this guy then:
Image

I'll pass.

Quote:
Another great series is The Pyramid Code by Carmen Boulter

You have got to be shitting me.
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7293
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm 
 

Guys, guys...did you realize that tons of ancient cultures all built pyramids, but all SEEMINGLY INDEPENDENTLY? They had no contact with one another at all yet somehow all arrived at very similar architecture. There can only be one explanation for this.

Spoiler: show
Pyramids are piles of rocks and therefore the easiest things to build ever. Jesus, c'mon.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 am 
 

Well, I'm beginning to see why these types of threads hit the skids. Are some of you completely encased by science? Do you ever wonder what the point to our existence is?

I guess not.

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 am 
 

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
Didn't Einstein say that his scientific discoveries strengthen his belief in God?


No. He frequently used the word "god" as a metaphor, as scientists of his time often did, but he did not believe in a personal god, and considered himself an agnostic.

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
Repeatability serves us in that we can come to consensus about certain physical occurrences, but for whatever reason, at the quantum level, not of those principles apply and we are left once again questioning the universe.


Quantum quackery again. You're claiming that the subatomic world, which is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, is some kind of "wild west" where there are no rules. There are rules, and we've known what they are for almost a hundred years, and they're not magical in any way, although they're odd. They're repeatable -- so repeatable, in fact, that when you average the behavior of large numbers of subatomic particles, you get Newton's laws, exactly as you'd expect.

The macroscopic world is, in a very real sense, built upon the microscopic world. If it weren't repeatable, we'd all be fucked.

Please read something on quantum mechanics written by a physicist instead of by someone who thinks they're some kind of wizard. Preferably a book that goes through the math. It's really a fascinating topic but easy to over-interpret.

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
More on topic, has anyone here read any biblical apocrypha? Personally I find it far more interesting than the 2000 year old game of telephone that the mainstream bible is.


I have. They're amazingly silly, even moreso that the canonical bible. But I guess you'd expect that if they were too silly even for the early christian church.
Also, they're no less a 2000 year game of telephone.

ChaosGoatKills wrote:
Are some of you completely encased by science? Do you ever wonder what the point to our existence is?


:lol:

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 am 
 

Actually, ChaosGoatKills didn't write what you last quoted, FearTheNome. I did.

And, I think you answered me quite nicely...

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 am 
 

iamntbatman wrote:
drterror666 wrote:
The thing is, it's much easier to believe in the whole science and psychology thing because it can be proved.


This sentence shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the scientific method that is likely a contributing factor to your mistrust of what it can be used to accomplish.

"Proof" is not something scientists are really concerned with at all. Proving things is for mathematicians. Science is an inductive process, not a deductive one. Scientific theories can be confirmed or disproved but they can never be proved.


Like I don't know that... Do you scour my posts for just one inaccuracy and then jump in? No, don't answer that. I bow to your innate cleverness.

Top
 Profile  
FearTheNome
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 372
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am 
 

drterror666 wrote:
Actually, ChaosGoatKills didn't write what you last quoted, FearTheNome. I did.

And, I think you answered me quite nicely...


Oops, sorry about that misquote.

OK, here's a real answer: of course I try to find meaning in my life. I just don't think meaning comes from fairy tales. I'm concerned about whether the things I believe are actually true. If my personal "meaning" is based on a faulty model of reality, then that meaning is likely to be wrong. I can't abide that.

I want to have a happy, ethical life, where I have a net positive impact on the rest of the world. I want to have satisfying, mutual personal relationships with friends and lovers. I want to advance human understanding of the natural world. I want to make music. That's enough meaning for me.

I can do all of these things without some ill-defined "spiritual" entity telling me that I'm supposed to. Moreover, since I know all of these things -- art, science, other people -- really exist, I can be sure I'm not wasting my time.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7293
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am 
 

drterror666 wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
"Proof" is not something scientists are really concerned with at all. Proving things is for mathematicians. Science is an inductive process, not a deductive one. Scientific theories can be confirmed or disproved but they can never be proved.


Like I don't know that... Do you scour my posts for just one inaccuracy and then jump in? No, don't answer that. I bow to your innate cleverness.


No, actually. If I wanted to "jump in" to criticize you for the sake of doing so, I would've called you out on the myriad nonsense you've been spewing throughout this entire thread. I chose this quote of yours specifically because I think it's a very strong indicator of exactly why you hold the specific worldview that you do, and I think it's a common thread among many believers in the supernatural. You claim to know how the scientific method works but your statements indicate otherwise.

Spiritualists in general like to make claims about how magic, the supernatural, divine influence, etc. are outside the scope of science because they aren't concerned with things that can be "proved" by science, as if "proving" how natural phenomena work is something any scientist ever sets out to do.

I also enjoy the hilarious insinuation that non-spiritualists don't wonder about the "point" of existence. As I've explained in threads long locked, I'm a rule utilitarian. I think the "point" of existence is to maximize pleasure/minimize pain. It's endlessly amusing to me that people genuinely think that atheist have no moral compass or reason to live or do good things with their lives.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
drterror666
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 69
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am 
 

FearTheNome wrote:
drterror666 wrote:
Actually, ChaosGoatKills didn't write what you last quoted, FearTheNome. I did.

And, I think you answered me quite nicely...


Oops, sorry about that misquote.

OK, here's a real answer: of course I try to find meaning in my life. I just don't think meaning comes from fairy tales. I'm concerned about whether the things I believe are actually true. If my personal "meaning" is based on a faulty model of reality, then that meaning is likely to be wrong. I can't abide that.

I want to have a happy, ethical life, where I have a net positive impact on the rest of the world. I want to have satisfying, mutual personal relationships with friends and lovers. I want to advance human understanding of the natural world. I want to make music. That's enough meaning for me.

I can do all of these things without some ill-defined "spiritual" entity telling me that I'm supposed to. Moreover, since I know all of these things -- art, science, other people -- really exist, I can be sure I'm not wasting my time.


And, I would never expect you to be anything else. I was just writing my beliefs from my own experiences on this forum. If you're happy with your life, then that's great. If I drank beer, I'd raise one to you.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adriankat, Rompestromper and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group