Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm 
 

Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2002
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm 
 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
^ if God constantly intervened to keep us from harm, what would be the point in making us? How would our character develop with no danger? You'd behave carefree and recklessly as no harm would come, life wouldn't mean anything or be precious.

We're all subject to the laws of science here, which means shit is going to happen, then many blame/question God, but maybe the reason we're here is to learn from the experiences we have - though this would seem very harsh "schooling" from what some people go through.

Do you see the logical gymnastics that have to go on in order for that to make sense, and that with this cavalier musing you're justifying truly revolting callousness and completely heinous behavior?


I may be wrong here but I don't think that Mindshadow was trying to justify the wrong doings of others as lessons in life from God. I think he was just saying that maybe there is more to life than this earthly life and that what happens to us here will effect the after life. Again I could be wrong.


Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?


Why do you find eternal life terrifying?
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:05 pm 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I may be wrong here but I don't think that Mindshadow was trying to justify the wrong doings of others as lessons in life from God. I think he was just saying that maybe there is more to life than this earthly life and that what happens to us here will effect the after life. Again I could be wrong.




I was just musing :(

Some say we live a karmic existence, but I find it hard to believe, I can't imagine that some youngsters are suffering in hospital because they did something bad in another life. That's the main reason I struggle with buddhism, because they believe we can come back as an insect or "hungry ghost" depending on how we behave here.
zen interests me because it's all about living here and now, and not about anything before or after, as I understand it.
With regards to eternal life, I've often wondered how we would fill our time, and if we're supposed to just rest easy once there.
I like to believe there is something else, but I'd struggle to come up with a convincing argument, (and I did say - ..though this would seem very harsh "schooling" from what some people go through)
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed


Last edited by mindshadow on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 pm 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?

Why do you find eternal life terrifying?

Well, first of all, I have a hard time believing that the human psyche is made to withstand eternity. Our minds are already quite fragile and limited as it is to even begin to understand the universe we live in, let alone cope with a never ending existence. Secondly; from what I understand, many religious groups think that, in the afterlife, if one has God's blessing, the only thing one will do is sing the aforementioned's praises, all the time, forever and ever, till the end of times. Basically, you're stripped of your free will, turned into a little robot, and forced to lick the Creators' boots until bloody existence itself ceases to be. How is that better than hell?!
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4224
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:31 pm 
 

Oh, that's not a big problem. Most ancient / medieval christian philosophers believed that when the immortal soul ascends to heaven / is united with god, the limitations of a flesh-bound human mind disappear. You see, a psych that isn't constantly confronted with the finiteness of mortal life, that is pure mind-essence, undisturbed by pesky brain chemicals and such, might be capable to deal with eternity just fine.
_________________
Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
Compared to how it is here in Sweden, fascism sounds like paradise.
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:45 pm 
 

.....that doesn't make it any less horrific to me.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4224
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm 
 

Sure, you're scared because you're just a tiny mortal with no ability to understand the greatness of god's kingdom :-D
_________________
Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
Compared to how it is here in Sweden, fascism sounds like paradise.
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Top
 Profile  
yentass
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:28 am
Posts: 898
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?

Well, personally I deem the concept of eternal death as utterly terrifying. Eternal life though? I can live with that (pun intended). I'd kill myself once I'm fed up with it, simple as that.
_________________
Voidal, Doom/Death Metulz.
kingnuuuur wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2043
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm 
 

yentass wrote:
I'd kill myself once I'm fed up with it, simple as that.

Not if it's eternal. You'd just walk around for a long time with an exit wound in your skull. Or hang by the neck until you got bored.. :)

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

yentass wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?

Well, personally I deem the concept of eternal death as utterly terrifying.

How? Death is, if anything, one of the most peaceful things ever. Now, being afraid of the act of dying I can understand.....
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2002
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, first of all, I have a hard time believing that the human psyche is made to withstand eternity. Our minds are already quite fragile and limited as it is to even begin to understand the universe we live in, let alone cope with a never ending existence. Secondly; from what I understand, many religious groups think that, in the afterlife, if one has God's blessing, the only thing one will do is sing the aforementioned's praises, all the time, forever and ever, till the end of times. Basically, you're stripped of your free will, turned into a little robot, and forced to lick the Creators' boots until bloody existence itself ceases to be. How is that better than hell?!


Well it sure beats getting a pineapple shoved up your ass every day for eternity now doesn't it.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.


Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:50 pm 
 

I dunno, a lot of people are into a little bit of ass play now and then..... and I'm sure it will loosen up after a few days.

Aaaanyways, heaven is pictured as a place of constant bliss. Never ending constant happiness and bliss. It will never stop. Sure, a eternity in heaven seems like a horrible thing if you think about it, but you will be in constant bliss ALL THE DAMN TIME. I don't think you would care about the time period anymore, it's not like the bliss is going to end.

Oh, and being scared of eternal death is silly. You are dead.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2043
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:49 pm 
 

I wonder what the board's Indian population would say about the OP, considering how many major religions are represented in that country alone.

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4677
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:07 pm 
 

Quote:
Evolution is a religion and science leads to killing people.
_________________
"Funny how being fair and neutral always involves adopting the beliefs of the wrong side."

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 492
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 pm 
 

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:14

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:17 am 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Well, first of all, I have a hard time believing that the human psyche is made to withstand eternity. Our minds are already quite fragile and limited as it is to even begin to understand the universe we live in, let alone cope with a never ending existence. Secondly; from what I understand, many religious groups think that, in the afterlife, if one has God's blessing, the only thing one will do is sing the aforementioned's praises, all the time, forever and ever, till the end of times. Basically, you're stripped of your free will, turned into a little robot, and forced to lick the Creators' boots until bloody existence itself ceases to be. How is that better than hell?!

Well it sure beats getting a pineapple shoved up your ass every day for eternity now doesn't it.

Lobotomy..... Or ass rape..... Mmmmmmm.....

Tough choice.
John_Sunlight wrote:
Quote:
Evolution is a religion and science leads to killing people.

Who the fuck said this?
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 7741
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:36 am 
 

Ben Stein said something to that effect.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Fortunately the seminar started and when it finished, I runed away like if Usain Bolt were about to rape me.

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 3317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 am 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Well, first of all, I have a hard time believing that the human psyche is made to withstand eternity. Our minds are already quite fragile and limited as it is to even begin to understand the universe we live in, let alone cope with a never ending existence. Secondly; from what I understand, many religious groups think that, in the afterlife, if one has God's blessing, the only thing one will do is sing the aforementioned's praises, all the time, forever and ever, till the end of times. Basically, you're stripped of your free will, turned into a little robot, and forced to lick the Creators' boots until bloody existence itself ceases to be. How is that better than hell?!


Well it sure beats getting a pineapple shoved up your ass every day for eternity now doesn't it.


Now the Christians who say explicit things like that about hell couldn't possibly be closet gays could they? I've been wondering that.
_________________
Oddeye wrote:
bug_man wrote:
a whole planet, made out of satan


That. Is. METAL!

Top
 Profile  
w0Lf
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:04 am
Posts: 127
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 am 
 

Nochielo wrote:
So poorer countries are stupider countries? Have you considered the circumstances that lead countries to be poor? Do sovereign states not go through problems that deplete their resources like, for example, wars, invasions, epidemics, shitty leaders and the like? That has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence.
But it has everything to do with intelligence. What you described are problems, intelligence is defined as capacity for problem solving. A nation made up of smart people is going to bounce back from war, famine, etc. much better than a nation made up of dumb people. China has experienced all of those things, and yet they are thriving economically.

Quote:
On an individual level, graduating the top of your class doesn't mean you get the best job or a job at all. Maybe you'll have a heart attack and lose some brain faculties. You could get shot and end up a quadriplegic. Maybe you just won't get hired because no one is willing to give you a chance.
Intelligence is an important variable in success, but I never said it was the only variable. Health and environment play significant roles, too, but on average, higher intelligence = higher socioeconomic status.

Quote:
Which brings me to my next point: millions of brilliant kids the world over will never know of their gift because the can't attend a proper school where they can cultivate their talents. Some kids will learn absolutely nothing, of course, but intelligence is not intrinsic to nationality.
Maybe so, but in the process of "upgrading" third world countries, we strip them of their culture. They never had a say as to whether they want to assimilate into modern society. Who is to say adopting the cultural, economic, political practices of developed countries is objectively good? We're basically forcing it down their throats.

Quote:
In any case, your "smart" systems have been funded by China for the past decade. Considering the decrease is US wealth and vertiginous rise of wealth in China, does this mean they are slowly getting smarter than US citizens because they are very slowly bleeding you dry of assets.
China has a higher average IQ -- not really surprising.
_________________
www.deathmetal.org

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 am 
 

The_Beast_in_Black about John_Sunlight's quote wrote:
Ben Stein said something to that effect.

You mean the dipshit who made Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed?

Ah, wait, wait, I found the exact quote:
Ben Stein wrote:
Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

Yup, sounds about right considering the bright mind it's coming from.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2002
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:42 am 
 

For the record (because everybody thinks I was serious and now it's not funny) the whole pineapple up the ass thing was Satan's punishment for Hitler in the movie Little Nicky. I figured at least a few people would have gotten that oh well. But yeah I was totally kidding.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

Top
 Profile  
ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 392
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 am 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?


I hear you there. I don't want to live forever (that's an answer to you, Marco Hietala).

Maybe it's not full on the subject, but I'm more into cyclic perception of time, not linear like Jews, Christians etc. tend to believe. I'm more of a pagan in my thinking. You know, a new spring follows winter, a new life follows death. It's just logical, I guess. I believe in Finnish pagan gods because they're visible everywhere as natural forces. Well, I must stop now before I start sounding like Varg...
_________________
Give me the mustard, you bastard!

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2002
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 am 
 

^ You don't run the risk of sounding like Varg unless you start making hate speeches. Anyways what you were starting to say was quite interesting, please continue. Also I think maybe this thread should be split since we have been a long way from the OP for some time now.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

Top
 Profile  
ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 392
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 am 
 

Well, that was all I got to say from my part, really. The doctor said I shouldn't stress my sick little schitzophrenic brains. :) But maybe that same thought works on a universal scale too. The end is followed by a new beginning. I'm not so much into this hinduan concept a rebirth though, namely because I got so much bad karma, and I don't want to be born as a fly, moscuito or something similar. :)
_________________
Give me the mustard, you bastard!

Top
 Profile  
yentass
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:28 am
Posts: 898
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:00 am 
 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Not if it's eternal. You'd just walk around for a long time with an exit wound in your skull. Or hang by the neck until you got bored.. :)

Yeah, if you look at it from a "superhuman" perspective. I was thinking in more, um, "plausible" terms so to speak.

Xlxlx wrote:
How? Death is, if anything, one of the most peaceful things ever. Now, being afraid of the act of dying I can understand.....

That alleged peacefulness is the problem. In my eyes, death is basically like going to sleep... and never waking up. No dreams, no consciousness... just nothing. It's this part that freaks me out just because I can't wrap my mind around it.

henkkjelle wrote:
Oh, and being scared of eternal death is silly. You are dead.

That's just a shortened way of saying "I never really thought about the subject and don't really care".
_________________
Voidal, Doom/Death Metulz.
kingnuuuur wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 am 
 

Napero wrote:
That's really just a wishful way to interpret the genetic background of selfless acts and justice/morality to something supernatural or divine. It's all a combination of genetics and learning, and that's it.

To elaborate, humans were supposed to live in family groups of half a dozen to less than a hundred or so, largely isolated from other such groups. That's our history, and there's little to debate in that. After a million years of that, finding someone in trouble makes us feel the need to help the other person, simply because of two things:
1) we have learned that helping each other leads to useful and selfish reciprocity of "good" acts, and therefore leads to a beneficial expected outcome for the individual, i.e. the morality discussed there is, essentially, cultural, or, if you will, an ancient beneficial meme.
2) it makes sense from the point of genetics to help anyone in need of help, because in such circumstances any help to other individual would lead to the increased survival chances of the very same genes that reside temporarily in the helper's gonads. They are supposed to be family members in this scenario, after all.


How about a third reason - the emotive ability to empathize?

Quote:
Although exact motives behind complex social behaviors are difficult to distinguish, the "ability to put oneself in the shoes of another person and experience events and emotions the way that person experienced them" is the definitive factor for truly altruistic behavior according to Batson's empathy-altruism hypothesis. If empathy is not felt, social exchange (what's in it for me?) supersedes pure altruism, but if empathy is felt, an individual will help by actions or by word, regardless of whether it is in their self-interest to do so and even if the costs outweigh potential rewards


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

it's just that humans don't sound very nice by your too concise definition.

Quote:
Haim Ginott wrote that "It takes time and wisdom to realize that the personal parallels the universal and what pains one man pains mankind." Now we might add that it also takes highly developed emotional intelligence.
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:58 am 
 

henkkjelle wrote:
Oh, and being scared of eternal death is silly. You are dead.


yentass wrote: That's just a shortened way of saying "I never really thought about the subject and don't really care".

Dead is dead. The person that was you is gone, your consciousness has disappeared with the death of your body. And even if you believe in some kind of spirit or soul surviving after the death of your body it wouldn't be considered true death, your soul or "essence" so to speak would live on. As Xlxlx already said, being scared of dying is absolutely understandable, but being scared of "eternal death" (what does that even mean) is just silly. You only die once, and after that all that was you is gone.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
For the record (because everybody thinks I was serious and now it's not funny) the whole pineapple up the ass thing was Satan's punishment for Hitler in the movie Little Nicky. I figured at least a few people would have gotten that oh well. But yeah I was totally kidding.

You could've picked a better movie though :-P
yentass wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
How? Death is, if anything, one of the most peaceful things ever. Now, being afraid of the act of dying I can understand.....

That alleged peacefulness is the problem. In my eyes, death is basically like going to sleep... and never waking up. No dreams, no consciousness... just nothing. It's this part that freaks me out just because I can't wrap my mind around it.

Have you ever heard of that philosophical approach which insists that death doesn't even exist? It goes sorta like this; when you are alive, you don't experience death first hand, ergo, it's inconsequential to you. Now, when your time comes and you actually die, you are obviously incapable of thinking/musing about it. As such, death technically doesn't exist, because no being can fully experience it. That might help you cope with the existential dread that such things tend to evoke (it has certainly helped me).
ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?

I hear you there. I don't want to live forever (that's an answer to you, Marco Hietala).

Maybe it's not full on the subject, but I'm more into cyclic perception of time, not linear like Jews, Christians etc. tend to believe. I'm more of a pagan in my thinking. You know, a new spring follows winter, a new life follows death. It's just logical, I guess. I believe in Finnish pagan gods because they're visible everywhere as natural forces. Well, I must stop now before I start sounding like Varg...

I guess it's more of an answer to Freddie Mercury, but oh well :-P

And hey, that whole thing about having a cyclic perception of time is pretty fascinating. You should elaborate on that. I'd surely appreciate it.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 pm 
 

Oh, yeah. That's from Epicurus.

"If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"

It's a good way to look at it. Just live your life, enjoy it. Don't worry about death, it's inevitable. And when the time comes you will not be there anymore to experience it. Ofcourse, the moment of dying could be extremely horrible and painful.....
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 392
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
I guess it's more of an answer to Freddie Mercury, but oh well :-P

Or maybe it's an answer to Valerie from Conan the Barbarian :) As I recall, Conan never answered that question besides maybe with his doings.

I try to collect the slime from my brain and elaborate this thing later on. It's not so uncommon perception or anything though, there must be many people who think alike.
_________________
Give me the mustard, you bastard!

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm 
 

@Henkkjelle; oh yeah, you'll have to excuse me for not mentioning Epicurus by name. I'm a bit rusty on the topic of Greek philosophers :-P
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 pm 
 

Don't mention it, when it comes to Greek philosophers I'm already fully eroded. :-D
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8441
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
How about a third reason - the emotive ability to empathize?

...which had to evolve, and could only have evolved through natural selection by providing some edge in the competition for the survival of the genes causing it. Or, well, a god could have installed that characteristic in her creations, if you wish to go the fairytale route, but let's not go there, we are adults, after all. In any case, you're confusing the mentioned ability and my feeble explanation on how it could have evolved. Apples and oranges, in other words. And even those two evolved, as well.

mindshadow wrote:
it's just that humans don't sound very nice by your too concise definition.

The universe is not very nice overall, and evolution through natural selection even less so, at least for those involved in it. Which means us, practically. And human beings are definitely not nice, either. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the world around us possesses any meaning or purpose whatsoever, and to assume it even could be "nice" in any meaningful way is childish.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2002
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:18 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
For the record (because everybody thinks I was serious and now it's not funny) the whole pineapple up the ass thing was Satan's punishment for Hitler in the movie Little Nicky. I figured at least a few people would have gotten that oh well. But yeah I was totally kidding.

You could've picked a better movie though :-P


Whaaa?? Are you implying that Little Nicky is anything but a cinematic masterpiece?? Yeah I probably could have thought up a better movie but it was this first thing that popped in my head when I read your post.

Xlxlx wrote:
Have you ever heard of that philosophical approach which insists that death doesn't even exist? It goes sorta like this; when you are alive, you don't experience death first hand, ergo, it's inconsequential to you. Now, when your time comes and you actually die, you are obviously incapable of thinking/musing about it. As such, death technically doesn't exist, because no being can fully experience it. That might help you cope with the existential dread that such things tend to evoke (it has certainly helped me).


That's actually quite brilliant assuming you don't die any way involving mass amounts of agony or time to think about your upcoming death. Otherwise though that does make death seem far less terrifying.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

Top
 Profile  
Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Posts: 1524
Location: México, DF
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 pm 
 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of eternal life..... Am I the only one here who finds such a concept to be utterly terrifying?

Yep, or it depends on what eternal life are you talking about. As a vampire, it could be nice. You don't die, you don't get sick and your mind works like a charm.
As a soul, on the other hand, well not terrifying, just impossible. You cannot live outside a bodie. I dare you to try. Dying sucks. :lol:
_________________
My Anime Blog
My personal blog in Spanish
The Science Blog
Let's be Google+ Friends
Sorry, almost everything is in Spanish...

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5312
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 pm 
 

@Erosion; remember that I said that being afraid of the act of dying is perfectly understandable. It's not the same at all to die peacefully in your bed while surrounded by your relatives than to be eaten alive by crocodiles. And yeah, I know that's an extreme example, but it gets the point across.
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
yentass
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:28 am
Posts: 898
Location: Israel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm 
 

henkkjelle wrote:
Dead is dead. The person that was you is gone, your consciousness has disappeared with the death of your body. And even if you believe in some kind of spirit or soul surviving after the death of your body it wouldn't be considered true death, your soul or "essence" so to speak would live on. As Xlxlx already said, being scared of dying is absolutely understandable, but being scared of "eternal death" (what does that even mean) is just silly. You only die once, and after that all that was you is gone.

Yeah, thanks for defining "death" to me mate. I'm perfectly aware that I won't care about anything once I'm dead, hell, that's why I have a donor card. The thing is - as far as I know I'm not currently dead, and the notion of reaching that state is what I'm uncomfortable with NOW. Also, according to your logic, there's no difference between dying of old age and burned alive (since "dead is dead", right?), so I'm not able to follow how did the fear of dying became understandable to you all of a sudden (us not being on one page as far as our terminology goes would be the culprit I reckon).

Xlxlx wrote:
Have you ever heard of that philosophical approach which insists that death doesn't even exist? It goes sorta like this; when you are alive, you don't experience death first hand, ergo, it's inconsequential to you. Now, when your time comes and you actually die, you are obviously incapable of thinking/musing about it. As such, death technically doesn't exist, because no being can fully experience it. That might help you cope with the existential dread that such things tend to evoke (it has certainly helped me).

An interesting thought, although I find the last line quite problematic (or probably miss something) - an inability to fully experience something could be used to negate all kinds of stuff, no matter how outlandish such a claim could turn out, don't you think?
_________________
Voidal, Doom/Death Metulz.
kingnuuuur wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:16 am 
 

Napero wrote:
The universe is not very nice overall, and evolution through natural selection even less so, at least for those involved in it. Which means us, practically. And human beings are definitely not nice, either. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the world around us possesses any meaning or purpose whatsoever, and to assume it even could be "nice" in any meaningful way is childish.


I guess it could be described as indifferent, not good not bad, just obeying the mechanics of the universe. By nice I meant it sounds as if people are incapable of being nice to another without subconsciously obeying programmed genetics - I would like to think some self-less acts are the result of people helping others because they genuinely don't want to see them suffer as they would in a similar situation - though you say this is covered in your earlier statements on evolution.
All these billions of years, initial stars exploding to set off the next chain of events which produce amino acids - the building blocks of life. Then more billions of years as life can develop in finite areas, which is programmed to survive (through genetics) - and only the strongest survive, and all because of a chance(?) initial big bang singularity event (one theory I know). Where did it come from? We don't know. Why did it appear? We don't know. Yet here we are, and not just standing still living in caves, but now reaching out into the space that spawned us (or allowed us to be). And yet it could possess no meaning or purpose whatsoever as you state, I'm not sure whether that makes it all the more amazing or bloody depressing :lol:
I have even more respect for people who reasoned 2500+ years ago that the only logic was to sit and acquire inner peace, not live life dictated to by our evolutionary emotions - not constantly dancing to their tune so to speak.
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 am 
 

@ yentass

There is only one kind of death. So yeah, dead is dead. I didn't say anything about the way of dying. Again, I have nothing against the fear of dying. It's the fear of the state of being dead that is irrational to me.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 392
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am 
 

Us mere mortals don't know shit about what happens after death. Hence the fear. One can only have his/her beliefs. If there's a man that claims to know what happens after death, I don't believe him. Death is like the last unsolved mystery, and it will remain as such for a loooooong time.
_________________
Give me the mustard, you bastard!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Machine_Dead and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group