Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:44 pm 

Isn't expecting depth of character in a young teenage girl a little like me expecting my wife to come home from work highly aroused with a case of beer and tickets to the NBA finals? She's a young girl in a primitive society who strode into a giant fire and came out with fucking dragons. That seems like it would draw people to your cause. I mean, if I walk in to a burning building and come out with a pair of dinosaurs, even in our jaded modern world, I guarantee I can do better than Joseph Smith ever even dreamed.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:43 pm 

Von Jugel wrote:
In regards to Daenerys storyline. I have an opinion/semi-spolier.

Spoiler: show
While Daenerys' storyline got off to a good start, we're up to the point where her story hits a big wall in the books. If the show watchers see it moving too slowly now, then I'm a bit concerned with how they'll deal with the future episodes because, in my opinion, D's story gets even more meandering and uneventful. Hopefully the show can rescue, or re-write was has already been written.

Then I hope she won't get much screen 4th season onwards. At the end of the day her plot is the weakest of the current series.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 pm 

Just finished Dance with Dragons. It's not over till the ball-less men laugh.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:25 pm 

Ughhhh, lots of my recent bar conversations have been about the TV show, but I've only seen the first season. I've almost completed Feast, and it's really hard for me to not ruin the story for the TV show-only fans.

@HeWhoIsInThe Water, is DWD a little...faster than Feast is? Reading this one has given me headaches at times.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:08 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
is DWD a little...faster than Feast is?

I'd say it's similarly paced, and both books feel somewhat... padded. It has good parts for sure, but there's no doubt the series took a turn for the worse after book 3. I can understand the reasons for splitting up the characters as he did, but in hindsight it seems to me like it was definitely a mistake. It hurts the flow of the story a lot, and it sometimes feels like he added some filler chapters just to make a decent-sized book despite having less characters.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:15 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
is DWD a little...faster than Feast is?

I'd say it's similarly paced, and both books feel somewhat... padded. It has good parts for sure, but there's no doubt the series took a turn for the worse after book 3. I can understand the reasons for splitting up the characters as he did, but in hindsight it seems to me like it was definitely a mistake. It hurts the flow of the story a lot, and it sometimes feels like he added some filler chapters just to make a decent-sized book despite having less characters.

I would agree with that. Once you get to the end of DWD, it all comes together quite a bit easier. I actually really enjoyed Feast; it was my second favorite book second to Storm just because all of the cultures were intriguing to me. The first two were boring for me, except for the Battle of the Blackwater. Back to what HellBlazer was saying, it was a big mistake. Westeros lacks a timeline that a series like Star Wars does, because things are never put in terms of dates or months, as compared to BBY and ABY. It really doesn't matter too much until you have these simultaneous plot lines, which serves to make them poor complements to one another.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:12 am 

I found DWD went faster than Feast.
That's likely a reflection of my preference for the POV characters of DWD (Tyrion, Arya, Jon, etc.) as opposed to those of Feast (Cersei, Brienne, Sansa, etc.) I attribute some of the narrative weakness and excess of books 4 & 5 to Martin not planning for them in his earlier visions of ASOIAF. He decided to write them because he felt it was too awkward to simply pick up the stories with a 4 year gap after ASOS. As a result, some of the storylines happening in DWD and Feast feel suspended or bloated or very nearly arbitrary, at least when compared to the momentum and scale of the various arcs that the first three books had. They are novels meant to bridge the gap between ASOS and the last 2 books, so at this point when you read DWD and Feast without being able to interpret all of their exposition from the perspective of the conclusion that the last 2 books hopefully provide, they can definitely seem unsatisfying and even incomplete. That said if you're addicted to the lore of ASOIAF, Feast and DWD will scratch that itch.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 pm 

We're really veering into spoiler territory here,
basically saying "yep these characters are still alive 2 years from now". Oh well... non-readers beware.

Sourlows, I'm pretty sure Arya had more chapters in AFFC than in ADWD, and honestly, Tyrion and Jon's arcs in ADWD were among the dullest of the book (along with Dany). Ironic that the fan favourite characters had the most tedious arcs, but characters like Davos (!), Bran and Theon had the best chapters. Incidentally, I found Jaime's and Cersei's stories to be more compelling than Tyrion's interminable travelogue... go figure.

Btw, everyone, this is the thread about the TV show. I'm a huge book purist and I'll be the first to say "come on, read the books, you peasants!", but still, have some respect for the non-readers and tag the book stuff, especially later books.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm 

Tyrion's story in ADWD is mindblowingly dull. "I travel for over a 1000 pages to a place I don't really care to get to. Also I repeatedly think if person x or y knows where whores go."

Davos & Theon are best what this series has to offer.
Also, I kinda liked Victarion's chapters (including AFFC of course), he actually seemed to accomplish something and get things done.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:41 pm 

Tyrion's chapters in ADWD were interesting to me for the view into the Free Cities, but ultimately it went nowhere and was ruined by Penny. Gods I hate Penny, I hope they remove her from the TV series.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:58 pm 

Whoa guys. This thread is about the TV show. Use spoiler tags if you mention anything at all about future plot points from the books.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:33 pm 

Morrigan, I'll agree that Tyrion's and Jon's were malformed compared to Cersei and Jaime's in Feast, but I sort of powered through DWD based not on the merits of each story, but more the fact I had been wondering what happened to those characters post-ASOS for like... a couple years at that point. I wasn't saying it's a better book than Feast or vice versa, just a faster read. I was able to read Feast immediately after I read ASOS, and then I had to wait a couple years for DWD and stew on what was going to happen with Tyrion/Jon/Dany/etc.

As far as the show goes, I have some friends who watch the show exclusively and won't touch the books and I'm always interested to listen to their theories on what might happen and what understanding they have of the storyline just from watching the show. I personally thought the third season was a bit better done than the second (rushed in some places), but I'm not sure someone who watches the show exclusively would agree. The story gets so spread out that the producers and writers are going to have a great challenge in keeping it both fairly loyal to the source material (which it has been in pragmatic terms) and making watchable TV that is going to keep earning them deals for future seasons. I'd be interesting in seeing how the series would work with ~7 90 minute episodes instead of 10 60 minute episodes. I doubt this is attractive to HBO from a financial perspective, since they can keep people subscribed for longer with 10 episode seasons, but it might help the show be a little more watchable if it's only jumping across continents every 15 minutes instead of every 10.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 pm 

Agreed Sourlows, the season was put together noticeably more smoothly than the second, which is why I think I'd still call it better than the second, although the second likely had more going on. Not much really happened in S3 when you think about it, with everyone either continuing to walk in a direction, or sitting around in reasonable safety in the same place they were at the end of last season. There was enough, but not the same volume of interesting events as previous seasons.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Von Jugel wrote:
In regards to Daenerys storyline. I have an opinion/semi-spolier.

While Daenerys' storyline got off to a good start, we're up to the point where her story hits a big wall in the books. If the show watchers see it moving too slowly now, then I'm a bit concerned with how they'll deal with the future episodes because, in my opinion, D's story gets even more meandering and uneventful. Hopefully the show can rescue, or re-write was has already been written.

Then I hope she won't get much screen 4th season onwards. At the end of the day her plot is the weakest of the current series.

Oh, too bad. I'm just a TV show watcher and not reader of the books and I def. hunger for Daenery wrecking havoc on all and anything.
Just watched S03E04 a few days ago (in germany were only at E05 atm) and it was quite great to see Daenerys raising her army! :headbang:

Pyroclasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 am 

I learned one thing from GoT, Jon Snow knows nothing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9