Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 am 

Egh, I spit on those who wait for semi official days to pay attention to Star Wars. Randomly browsing wookieepedia ist krieg! :panda:

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:30 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
^ Wha?? That's definitely news to me but I like it. Anyways I'll probably just sport one of my Star Wars shirts (probably vader and stormtroopers on a roller coaster) and watch the original trilogy.

Yeah I first heard about it on Facebook this morning. I didn't even know the day even existed until today.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Egh, I spit on those who wait for semi official days to pay attention to Star Wars. Randomly browsing wookieepedia ist krieg! :panda:

:lol: :lol: I usually celebrate, at least in a small way, Star Wars 3-4 times a week since my shirts consist of mostly Star Wars tees and band shirts, so if I leave the house it's 50/50 that I'm wearing a Star Wars shirt.

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Against Such Things
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 am 

May the fourth be with you all (and don't forget to sacrifice a Jedi youngling to Satan!)

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 am 

Against Such Things wrote:
May the fourth be with you all (and don't forget to sacrifice a Jedi youngling to Abeloth!)

Fixed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 pm 

Blind Guardian's Tales from the Twilight World is kick ass. Pure old school power metal with tons of energy...why don't people talk about this more than their recent stuff? "Lost in the Twilight Hall" and "Last Candle" have to be among their best tracks, and "Traveler in Time" is infectious as hell. Wish I had discovered this back when I was getting into metal and BG were one of my starting bands.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

After sampling it a long time ago and (albeit enjoy it) deciding I liked their latter material better, I never revisited it, but I've been meaning to get back to it since I've got it saved. Thanks for the reminder...

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Blind Guardian's Tales from the Twilight World is kick ass. Pure old school power metal with tons of energy...why don't people talk about this more than their recent stuff?

Couldn't tell ya. It's kind of in the middle there and, honestly, I totally forgot about it. Wasn't my favorite, but didn't have anything against it. But yeah, like Starmere said, thanks for the reminder. Got it on right now!

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:27 pm 

You ever hate laziness?

Seems like every day I tell myself I need to do homework, play some guitar, maybe write a bit, read, do some sit-ups, but I never end up doing it.

Anyone have any techniques to get over this?

TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:

When you get old it's the only way to stave off feeling like you're middle aged.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:46 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
Seems like every day I tell myself I need to do homework, play some guitar, maybe write a bit, read, do some sit-ups, but I never end up doing it.

If you sit at the computer the whole day, put your guitar next to it. I play guitar all the time that way.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:50 pm 

^ Ditto.

Perhaps, you can reward yourself with something once you complete a set of tasks? Keep doing that and be mentally strong about it haha. I get things done only when push comes to shove - like last minute reports, presentations etc.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:28 pm 

The only technique I've found to work (and I'm one of the procrastinatingest muthafukas) is just to do it. The computer's a little like TV .. easy to turn on, hard to turn off. So you basically just have to bite the bullet.

If you think of it, just slide out of your butt-warm chair and do fifty sit ups. Then lie on your back until you feel like getting up, then make a coffee, and grab your note pad or whatever .. then make lunch, then play guitar a little. I guess I've found that the point of view of "I'M GONNA FUCKIN DO THIS I'M GONNA BE PRODUCTIVE" gets waaaay less done than chipping away at stuff casually. Generally I'll get into it after I've done it for a few minutes, and can end up doing it for hours that way, but I never even start if the thought stresses me out or if I have to "push" myself. It's no big deal, really. Just do it.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 pm 

Harm's Way Chicago Bulls Hoodie purchased. My life is complete.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:23 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Just do it.

This.

Parents and I were at my grand-grandmother who recently broke her hip. We're talking while she suddenly goes ''ssh Colin, one thing: don't ever turn gay. Just sayin'.''

I wish I made this up. :thumbsdown:

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm 

Well, she is your grand-grandmother.. Maybe she was loopy because of pain killers?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 pm 

I hate when I'm having a perfectly normal day, and them BAM! I suddenly have an overwhelming, urgent need to jump headfirst down a flight of stairs.
Last.fm all day long!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I hate when I'm having a perfectly normal day, and them BAM! I suddenly have an overwhelming, urgent need to jump headfirst down a flight of stairs.

Well... Did you do it?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:11 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
You ever hate laziness?

Procrastination is a big issue for me, too. The only thing I can say is to just turn your computer off, and go do it. You'll be surprised and you'll eventually be more inclined to keep the productivity going.
Expedience's girlfriend left him for a cheetah.

She cheetah'd on him.

lord_ghengis
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Blind Guardian's Tales from the Twilight World is kick ass. Pure old school power metal with tons of energy...why don't people talk about this more than their recent stuff? "Lost in the Twilight Hall" and "Last Candle" have to be among their best tracks, and "Traveler in Time" is infectious as hell. Wish I had discovered this back when I was getting into metal and BG were one of my starting bands.

For me at least its bacause it drops the ball badly after the 6th song. The first six are all masterpieces, but everything after is resoundingly meh.

dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:27 pm 

YsmirsBeard666 wrote:
You ever hate laziness?

Yup. Even with schoolwork and stuff, I got all 90s in grade 12. Now I've kind of lost that momentum (I'm sure drinking plays a part in this) and my grades have dropped to average. I still play a bit of guitar pretty much everyday, but I'm not nearly as disciplined as I'd like to be. Same with exercise, I get a bit but not nearly as much as I should. I'd really like to stop being a fatass, so I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and work out more often. I dunno dude, it's not easy once being a lazy bastard has become a habit, but you just have to be tough with yourself and force yourself.

Edit - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98428
:lol:

Last edited by dystopia4 on Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm 

It is difficult to get off your ass and do something. I was forced into exercising daily when I was at the academy. I found that I hated exercising because I was forced to do it. Seven years later, I realized, holy hell you fat bastard, you gained forty-five pounds in those seven years, which made me start running again. Second month of running now and it gets easier every time I go out. Yesterday I did my first file mile plus run since my next to last day at the academy.

Get up. Do it. Make it a habit.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

For me at least its bacause it drops the ball badly after the 6th song. The first six are all masterpieces, but everything after is resoundingly meh.

It stumbles a bit, but I don't think it drops the ball. "Tommyknockers" is at least catchy and fun, and "Last Candle" is still damn solid, they're just... not as good as the first six. The fact "Traveler in Time" and "Goodbye My Friend" seemed to drop off their setlists pretty quickly is a damn shame.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 pm 

Neurosis and cheap beer is all you need on a Saturday night. If I could smoke a joint...I would. But this is doing the trick.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:38 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
It is difficult to get off your ass and do something. I was forced into exercising daily when I was at the academy. I found that I hated exercising because I was forced to do it. Seven years later, I realized, holy hell you fat bastard, you gained forty-five pounds in those seven years, which made me start running again. Second month of running now and it gets easier every time I go out. Yesterday I did my first file mile plus run since my next to last day at the academy.

Get up. Do it. Make it a habit.

Exercise dramatically changed my life. I remember being, like, 21, depressed all the time, horribly underweight, smoked like a fiend, generally sucked at everything, etc. I started lifting weights and running, and things are a lot better three years later. I'm dieting a little healthier (although some of it is still shitty), ditched smoking cold-turkey, got my life in order, etc.

Granted, I'm quite inconsistent once life gets in the way (class, work, whatever) but I'm making them habits again. Just got back from a run myself.

Thrashpit
Last FM

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 pm 

Interesting that you put that out there, Gunther, because regular exercise is one of the best things to "combat" depression. Clinically proven to be more effective than meds! :)

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

So I'm officially moving out of this God-forsaken hellhole next week and back home to Reno. It's been a strange two years running into ex-Love and Terror Cult members, angry Neo-Nazis, burn outs, military brats, and God fearing Glenn Beck worshipers out here in the desert.

Can't say I'm going to miss this place.

I hate music

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 pm 

fuck, iAm.. congratulations. seriously.

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm 

Thanks I suppose :lol:

I like rural California and love the scenery around here but the people in this town are... Well hard to be around.

I hate music

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

If bugs were into music for vibrations, they'd be all over dubstep.

That. Is. METAL!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Exercise dramatically changed my life. I remember being, like, 21, depressed all the time, horribly underweight, smoked like a fiend, generally sucked at everything, etc. I started lifting weights and running, and things are a lot better three years later. I'm dieting a little healthier (although some of it is still shitty), ditched smoking cold-turkey, got my life in order, etc.

Granted, I'm quite inconsistent once life gets in the way (class, work, whatever) but I'm making them habits again. Just got back from a run myself.

Mate, this is fantastic to hear. As someone who suffers from depression, it's great to hear stories like this. :thumbsup: I'm glad you got things in order.

Exercise really is great, and I have no problem doing it (I came back from a 90-odd minute walk today), but my diet is ridiculous. I can't get motivated enough to eat well. I hope it's something I learn in time - hopefully before I need the jaws of life to get out of my home.
Expedience's girlfriend left him for a cheetah.

She cheetah'd on him.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 pm 

I decided to give Sabaton's Primo Victoria a listen today, being completely unfamiliar with said band, and do you know what comes to mind a couple tracks in?

That "Be Prepared" song from The Lion King. I can't shake it. I get a little way into a song like "Panzer Battalion" and all I can think about is Scar leaping around and singing at those hyenas.

last.fm

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 pm 

I, four and a half years ago wrote:
everything sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a Disney adaptation of WWII

I feel a lot less crazy now, thank you.

Last edited by BastardHead on Sat May 04, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dystopia4
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:47 pm 

PhantomGreen wrote:
Neurosis and cheap beer is all you need on a Saturday night. If I could smoke a joint...I would. But this is doing the trick.

Amen to that (as long as the beer isn't PBR). Currently trying to figure out how I'll tackle such a monolithic album as Souls at Zero in a review.

As for exercise, yeah fuck, I need to get back on that. I'm currently 240 pounds (6 foot) and I really don't want to break 250 and become a total fatass. And I agree, the times in my life where I have exercised the most, I've definitely experienced a positive increase in mood. This semester that just past, my only exercise really was lifting weights. I'm going to miss that over the summer, maybe if I get a job soon I'll suck it up and pay for a gym membership.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 pm 

The more I browse Discogs, the more glad I become that I joined - there are some fantastic albums to be found at reasonable prices. Great resource for stocking my collection.

My collection

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:36 am 

Guys IK'm so close i'm so sorry plezse forgivr me okay I',m out

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 am 

Just go to sleep if you can't handle drinking, young puss.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:

Mate, this is fantastic to hear. As someone who suffers from depression, it's great to hear stories like this. :thumbsup: I'm glad you got things in order.

Exercise really is great, and I have no problem doing it (I came back from a 90-odd minute walk today), but my diet is ridiculous. I can't get motivated enough to eat well. I hope it's something I learn in time - hopefully before I need the jaws of life to get out of my home.

These men speak the truth. Consistent, regular exercise with which you regular push yourself to the limit and set (and meet goals) is the best feeling and hands down the best thing you can do for both your physical and mental health. When I miss a few days of lifting for whatever reasons (usually staying up to late and having no energy the following day) it makes me feel really bad: like a minor depression, a mild sickness. And when I finally do end up back in the gym, my mood takes a massive upswing even though the workout is more difficult than if I hadn't skipped those days. Just give yourself an hour a day, everyone. If you say you don't have the time you are lying to yourself.
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:30 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Guys IK'm so close i'm so sorry plezse forgivr me okay I',m out

Really hope that wasn't a suicide note... :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 am 

BastardHead wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

It stumbles a bit, but I don't think it drops the ball. "Tommyknockers" is at least catchy and fun, and "Last Candle" is still damn solid, they're just... not as good as the first six. The fact "Traveler in Time" and "Goodbye My Friend" seemed to drop off their setlists pretty quickly is a damn shame.

I think it's astoundingly good, considering almost every song is warp speed ahead. Just crazy dynamics and guitarwork - Andre Olbrich is the fucking man.

Exercise is something I like. Haven't been doing half of my routine lately after I injured my foot, but I'm slowly getting back on track. Did some decent swimming today and some pushups the other day.

And yeah, M_D, hope that was just a drunk post.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 518  Next