Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:34 am 

Somewhat yes, it doesn't necessarily have to be female fronted. Any retro/trad doom which is weak and sappy, is categorized as mumdoom.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Just wait a couple of years and I'm sure dad doom will be a thing, it's gonna be like Saint Vitus mixed with Boston and Kansas.

I can't be the only one who thinks this would be awesome?

I actually kinda tossed the idea of incorporating some prog (specifically Rush) influence into my doom songwriting, but then I realized I definitely didn't have the chops, both as a technically proficient player as well as a songwriter to do any such mash up.

As far as mum doom goes... I like it. Usually just some nice, chill music. It's my go to choice when I'm hanging out with a girl who is interested in what I listen to.

EDIT: Abom: Too old for slow? I listen to an inordinate amount of samey doom/stoner bands these days and that trend just seems to be continuing. I just really like the sound. And at the same time, I've been getting away from death/thrash/speed. It seems we are on opposite paths, ha! I don't think I'll ever get tired of black metal, though.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:36 am 

I've been listening to the few available tracks of Rautavaris on YouTube throughout the day. I want their demos now.

Thank Lucifer it's Friday. Battle Beast & Whispered later in the evening, with the daughters in tow. Should be nice.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 am 

Napero wrote:
I've been listening to the few available tracks of Rautavaris on YouTube throughout the day. I want their demos now.

Thank Lucifer it's Friday. Battle Beast & Whispered later in the evening, with the daughters in tow. Should be nice.

Indeed! I was listening to "Alttareiden Raunioista" the other day, truly entrancing!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 am 

Byrain wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Just wait a couple of years and I'm sure dad doom will be a thing, it's gonna be like Saint Vitus mixed with Boston and Kansas.

Something like this maybe? Note, I don't really remember what Boston or Kansas sound like and I'm not going to remind myself. One of the worst concerts I have ever been to was Boston...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boumCOnybKA

Kansas actually was a very good prog rock band for the first few albums (pretty much all of John Petrucci's good riffs are straight out of Kansas' playbook). I've heard their stuff after Leftoverture is shit though.

Also this "mum doom" doesn't sound like it would appeal to middle aged mothers, but it might appeal to people who do ketamine or are looking for a cure for insomnia.:zzz:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:36 am 

Ketamine and doom do indeed go well together.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 am 

inhumanist wrote:
niix wrote:
so, googled 'mum doom'.. and that sure was not very helpful..
anyways, what exactly is it? a sound with some older influented(influented is a word?) sound?

Based on that song Metantoine posted I'd say stuff coming out of the retro doom niche sounding a little bit too much like just straight up stoner rock. But female fronted.

Haha well, it's a term Caspian coined to describe a kind of doom I like (Castle, Blood Ceremony...) and I've been using it a bit. I just googled it and there's my review for Avatarium on the first page lol, the term can be used negatively (in that case it was) or not. I showed bands like Jex Thoth and Mansion to my mom and she liked them, it's accessible, melodic stuff.

But I'm seeing some weed doom tomorrow as I'll see Dopethrone :o

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I can't be the only one who thinks this would be awesome?

I actually kinda tossed the idea of incorporating some prog (specifically Rush) influence into my doom songwriting, but then I realized I definitely didn't have the chops, both as a technically proficient player as well as a songwriter to do any such mash up.

Yeah, a lot of people I've noticed tell these sortt of "Lighter" doom bands that they should "become more prog", as though that were an easy thing that anybody could just pull out of their hats and accomplish. Some of these bands don't even have the chops to pull off convincing bluesy soloing...you bet throwing in a covert Yes tribute would be out of the question. :lol:

Quote:

EDIT: Abom: Too old for slow? I listen to an inordinate amount of samey doom/stoner bands these days and that trend just seems to be continuing. I just really like the sound. And at the same time, I've been getting away from death/thrash/speed. It seems we are on opposite paths, ha! I don't think I'll ever get tired of black metal, though.

haha, I'm only being half serious really, I joke about this with the Cromlech boys all the time. But my band's music does seem to be getting faster, and the gist of it is that as you feel the years slipping by, your life seems shorter and you want everythign fast and NOW so you can get as much of it in there as possible before the end. :lol: So I tell the guys in Cromlech that if they ever stop incorporating their speed metallish parts I'll no longer be a fan.

I don't necessarily think it's permanent but I do find I'm losing patience for slow, long songs. I even listen to hardcore now (only the really fast stuff) and I had absolutely no interest in it when I was a teen. I jammed with some guys recently and the main songwriter wanted us to do doom stuff, but I kept pushing them to go faster, too. Finally the one guy decided he had had enough and that he was going to move to Alberta just to get away from me and my speedfreak ways. :D
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 pm 

I never liked the term mum doom, Blood Ceremony is a great band. Not familiar with all the other acts like that but they do all seem to sound alike. Heard another new one, Mount Salem, the other day. Not bad.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:49 pm 

The term isn't an "official designation", it's just something for us to have a little fun with. And I agree some of those bands are good. Blood Ceremony are friends and a great live band which everyone should catch if they ever get the chance.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:53 pm 

'mum doom'..
that makes more sense i would say.. the term of it paints a really odd picture in mind, not sure if it freaks me out or not.. i keep seeing that Roseanne lady, blaring Candlemass and clutching her hair in a frantic form of silent sorrow..

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm 

Love this album but goddamn that's an ugly fucking shirt.
Spoiler: show

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm 

Napero wrote:

I am unbelievably jealous. Do tell if Noora is as good live as Messiah Marcolin's mom was.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 pm 

dragmire wrote:

that shirt is badass as hell man

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 pm 

niix wrote:
dragmire wrote:

that shirt is badass as hell man

Agreed

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 pm 

Looks like something you'd wear during the 90's, with some short shorts and a fanny pack.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:17 pm 

or just a shirt you would wear at all?

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:34 pm 

I never liked all-over print shirts. Never liked the color pink either. The album art has a darker, less disgusting, shade of pink.
Speaking of totally rad shirt designs:
Front

Back

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:49 pm 

That shirt is not fucking around.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Napero wrote:

I am unbelievably jealous. Do tell if Noora is as good live as Messiah Marcolin's mom was.

I'm flabbergasted... They were... incredible. I'm not supposed to enjoy a show like that quite that much. Holy crap!

Esoteric
RETIRED?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:48 pm 

So I finally heard Deafheaven.

Some parts are interesting enough that I want to like it, but it seems to be the kind of thing I'd just have playing in the background. It's not really great at holding attention.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 am 

Deafheaven is really the victim of a lot of hype backlash, plus many metal publications trying to shoehorn them into the metal fandom when really (despite the metal parts being undeniably black metal (just pretty instead of dark)) they're more suited to fans of other stuff. I don't think they're bad, some sections are very good and some of it's kinda forgettable, but on the whole I like it and really don't see what makes them so controversial when compared to the oodles of other bands in the style.

Also re: Nappy, you're a goober. I think every show I've gone to in the last year or so has been extreme metal or hardcore. I haven't seen a trad metal show in ages.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:35 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Yeah, a lot of people I've noticed tell these sortt of "Lighter" doom bands that they should "become more prog", as though that were an easy thing that anybody could just pull out of their hats and accomplish. Some of these bands don't even have the chops to pull off convincing bluesy soloing...you bet throwing in a covert Yes tribute would be out of the question. :lol:

Revelation and their side project Against Nature do well with blending some classic prog rock riffing with utterly hopeless doom. Not sure if you are a fan, but if you were at Montreal is Doomed a few years back, you should remember them. Prog influence wouldn't be bad if bands could pull it off, but even better, I'd like to see more doom metal bands try and incorporate some space rock into their sound. There's a really great Polish band called Ampacity that do really great stuff with that kind of influence, but I suppose they are more stoner/rock than doom metal.

Quote:
haha, I'm only being half serious really, I joke about this with the Cromlech boys all the time. But my band's music does seem to be getting faster, and the gist of it is that as you feel the years slipping by, your life seems shorter and you want everythign fast and NOW so you can get as much of it in there as possible before the end. :lol: So I tell the guys in Cromlech that if they ever stop incorporating their speed metallish parts I'll no longer be a fan.

Ha! That definitely makes sense. I definitely make my forays into faster music, but I find my general listening habit always rest back on to doom/stoner stuff. Maybe existential anxiety will push me back to faster music eventually.

Quote:
I don't necessarily think it's permanent but I do find I'm losing patience for slow, long songs. I even listen to hardcore now (only the really fast stuff) and I had absolutely no interest in it when I was a teen. I jammed with some guys recently and the main songwriter wanted us to do doom stuff, but I kept pushing them to go faster, too. Finally the one guy decided he had had enough and that he was going to move to Alberta just to get away from me and my speedfreak ways. :D

Yeah, I hear you on that one. I think it's just a matter of schedules and time. There's so much stuff to do, sometimes it's hard to just sit down and relax enough to get into something that is so slow to change and could be seen as relatively repetitive. I find that I'm a very "mood" listener too. I never used to be, I could play whatever I wanted to hear any time. Nowadays I find myself reaching for specific atmospheres depending on what I'm doing. Going to work? Throw on some catchy power or heavy metal. Busing home after with the sun coming up? Sparse atmospheric black metal or post metal usually does the trick. Stuff like that. It seems we're kinda opposites, I acutally got into metal through punk and hardcore (I really thank Nausea for getting me into more extreme music, listen to their album Extinction if you haven't already!) and so I was all about fast, relentless rhythms when I started listening to metal. Nowadays I prefer a nice groove.

As for Deafheaven... I can see where the complaints come from, but to me the album is impossible not to like. It actually got me a bit more open minded towards that kind of stuff. The album is so tight and energetic, it sounds utterly life affirming, it just makes me smile. While the songs are great and well put together, I definitely think the album as a whole is more memorable for the mood and atmosphere than specific riffs. The between song "interludes" are just great, maybe even better than the "actual" songs.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:48 am 

I'm seeing Sleep tomorrow. I know you guys are jealous.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:58 am 

God damn right I'm jealous.

I was planning on going to that. But other, erm let's call her "things" came up instead.

edit:
;)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 am 

Whenever there is Sleep or HoF related discussion, I feel the need to plug in this link:
http://mattpikesbelly.tumblr.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Deafheaven is really the victim of a lot of hype backlash, plus many metal publications trying to shoehorn them into the metal fandom when really (despite the metal parts being undeniably black metal (just pretty instead of dark)) they're more suited to fans of other stuff. I don't think they're bad, some sections are very good and some of it's kinda forgettable, but on the whole I like it and really don't see what makes them so controversial when compared to the oodles of other bands in the style.

Also re: Nappy, you're a goober. I think every show I've gone to in the last year or so has been extreme metal or hardcore. I haven't seen a trad metal show in ages.

It's literally just because of the "hipster" scare. If the Deafheaven guys wore stupid face paint and sang about nature they would be at least 50% more liked. That's just how the black metal scene seems to work.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 am 

I disagree. While Roads to Judah is definitely an amazing album that I could listen to endlessly Sunbather just rubs me the wrong way. Sure the music itself is mostly fine but those damn vocals just sound way to screamo-y for me to be able to enjoy the album. No amount of face paint or nature themed lyrics could change that. They also have more of an Alcesty kind of wall of sound in a beautiful and encompassing way not loud and abrasive way feel to them and I think that doesn't appeal to a lot of people either.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:57 am 

Oh sure, you'd get people giving it 40% and saying it sounds wimpy, but you wouldn't have nearly as many 0% or 5% reviews proclaiming it the enemy of metal or whatever dumb thing.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 am 

Some interesting news from Nokturnal Mortum's Facebook:

Quote:
Salute! Many things change as years pass by – including our world-outlook. If I say that today I am a same person that I was fifteen years ago, when “Nechrist” was created, I would be a hypocrite. And changes in me inevitably bring the changes to Nokturnal Mortum.

Henceforth Nokturnal Mortum is a Sun shining through the night. We create music which is opened for everyone who has got the strength to be a human and to walk the path of creation that passes from the depths of the ages. In eternal search for truth we deny all the labels which ever were put on us. Now we draw the inspiration from the beginning of times when gods lived among the men, when emotions and senses ruled the world and spiritual foundation of mankind was forged of elements and cosmic energies.

That’s why new album “Істина” (“The Truth”) will open the new epoch in our history. Thereby, one of the first steps that we consider to be necessary to take is a total change of our logo. All the professionals who have abilities and desire to create the new logotype for Nokturnal Mortum should write to [email protected]. Let us know about your propositions, ideas and terms of cooperation under which you would like to work with us. Maybe logo made by one of you will become the symbol, under which we shall continue our musical journey – that, as I hope, will last for a long time.
Varggoth, 22nd of March, 2014.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 am 

Empyreal wrote:
It's literally just because of the "hipster" scare. If the Deafheaven guys wore stupid face paint and sang about nature they would be at least 50% more liked. That's just how the black metal scene seems to work.

These days black metal fans can be manipulated like any other target audience. If Deafheaven wore battlepaint and had black metal lyrics, more black metal fans would listen to them, but at the same time they would attract less of the pretentious indie crowd who need a castrated, pretentious version of black metal so they can claim they like the genre. If nobody called them black metal, fewer black metal fans would listen to them but they would also lose points with the indie audience due to loss of novelty value. Either way they couldn't have generated the hype they are riding on right now, so really, what they are doing is the smartest thing for them economically.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 am 

Dammit, I like Nokturnal Mortum's logo :(. This is an outrage.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am 

Yeah, but oh well, I get why bands want to change their logo as I change their sound. I think Panopticon recently did this as well.

As for Deathheaven, I hate everything about them (in one of their interviews they went on about how Drake is a visionary), except their music. Roads to Judah was basically just throwing post/shoegaze over the stereotypical USBM sound. I actually like Sunbather to some degree, although I have to say they're way better at the non-metal stuff than they are at black metal. It's not the most amazing release ever like some people claim, though.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 am 

Listening to Deafheaven for the first time this morning. It's a little too pastel for me and the vocals seem pretty ill-fitting, but I guess it's not the worst thing in the world. Eh. I'd take it over Liturgy.... :|

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:02 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Dammit, I like Nokturnal Mortum's logo :(. This is an outrage.

Me too. Let's just hope the new album will be as good as Voice of Steel to compensate for this dire mistake.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:25 pm 

I was just popping in to post that news about Nokturnal Mortum; it doesn't warrant its own thread but it's pretty interesting nonetheless, considering all the past discussions about their ideology. The ideology of the band is the only thing that's changed (besides the logo once they get a new one). Their Facebook administrator replied to a concern about the music genre changing and said, "No, of course! Nokturnal Mortum still play their own brand of metal." So no reason for concern there. Now if they write an album as good as Voice of Steel, well that's another question! Anyway, my guess is that they take the crosses out of the logo.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:34 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

These days black metal fans can be manipulated like any other target audience. If Deafheaven wore battlepaint and had black metal lyrics, more black metal fans would listen to them, but at the same time they would attract less of the pretentious indie crowd who need a castrated, pretentious version of black metal so they can claim they like the genre. If nobody called them black metal, fewer black metal fans would listen to them but they would also lose points with the indie audience due to loss of novelty value. Either way they couldn't have generated the hype they are riding on right now, so really, what they are doing is the smartest thing for them economically.

Pretty much, yeah - it's all about image. To be fair that's not necessarily a complete diss on it, as image was a part of even the best BM bands and a lot of great bands from other genres. But it's just getting ludicrous these days, I think.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:41 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Revelation and their side project Against Nature do well with blending some classic prog rock riffing with utterly hopeless doom. Not sure if you are a fan, but if you were at Montreal is Doomed a few years back, you should remember them. Prog influence wouldn't be bad if bands could pull it off, but even better, I'd like to see more doom metal bands try and incorporate some space rock into their sound. There's a really great Polish band called Ampacity that do really great stuff with that kind of influence, but I suppose they are more stoner/rock than doom metal.

Revelation are awesome indeed, their later stuff is basically Rush + doom metal. Pretty damn weird and original. My favorite prog doom is probably Memory Driven though, I reviewed their 2nd album a while back and it's so good.

Someone I dislike in my extended family just asked me if I was joining Al-Qaeda since I'm growing my beard. Fucking dumbass.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm 

Interesting news about Nokturnal Mortum. Makes it unclear whether their spiritual foundation will still be paganism, or an Arckanum-type gnostic Satanism. If they're keeping the music the same style, I'd assume the first option. Will stay tuned fir sure.

Metantoine, maybe tell him you're starting Quebec's new hunting show, Dynastie des canards
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 pm 

I'm perfectly happy if this means that Nokturnal Mortum are dropping the racist stuff. I'm not sure about the logo change, as I too like their current/old logo very much, although inverted crosses are decidedly immature. In my opinion, they've improved musically with age, so as long as they still deliver, all the rest is peripheral.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 476, 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482 ... 518  Next