Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:33 pm 

Getting a half sleeve on Saturday, really looking forward to it. Already have a sizable tattoo on the inside of that arm so I'm getting the rest of it finished off, it'll take two sessions. It's just gonna be awkward in work applying bepanthen to it :mrgreen: anyone have any suggestions how to simultaneously hide the tattoo under a sleeve and still use bepanthen on it without the cream sticking to the t shirt and annoying me?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:04 pm 

Pretty sure Meshuggah only really get a pass because the really early stuff is basically a shittier version of ...And Justice For All. I think I've read a mod say at some point that if all of their stuff was like their most recent material, they'd probably not have an entry on the Archives.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

So my last.fm scrobbler says I have 0 Reverend Kriss Hades plays and 118 Rev. Kriss Hades plays, my recent tracks have Reverend Kriss Hades auto-corrected to Rev. Kriss Hades, yet my charts have 80 Reverend Kriss Hades plays and no Rev. Kriss Hades plays... okaaaaay...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm 

I still can't believe that after all these years last.fm never bothered to even try some kind of separation for artists with the same name.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Pretty sure Meshuggah only really get a pass because the really early stuff is basically a shittier version of ...And Justice For All. I think I've read a mod say at some point that if all of their stuff was like their most recent material, they'd probably not have an entry on the Archives.

i can get behind this 110%. the contradictions collapse album is actually really good, and there's an EP and another album that are alright as well. hate the rest. i remember buying chaosphere on th basis of the album cover (it was the late 90s/early 00s) and being sooooo ultra-mega-super disappointed.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 pm 

I heard a song off Chaosphere on a Metal Hammer sampler back then and it was total shit.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 pm 

droneriot wrote:
So my last.fm scrobbler says I have 0 Reverend Kriss Hades plays and 118 Rev. Kriss Hades plays, my recent tracks have Reverend Kriss Hades auto-corrected to Rev. Kriss Hades, yet my charts have 80 Reverend Kriss Hades plays and no Rev. Kriss Hades plays... okaaaaay...

i have the same problem with some artists - tina dico/dickow is a big one. also "featuring xxx" is an annoying extra tag it doesn't need.

slightly OT anecdote: back when i lived in sydney (2006-7) i got drunk one sunday night and made friends with some local bum. bought him drinks all night and listened to his disjointed rambling in one of those unspoken "you are now my drinking buddy for the evening, cause fuck, it's sunday" deals. he kept making sly references to being a heavy metal dude but kinda in the same way random weirdos always say shit like "yeah, i listened to sepoltra when i was younger" and he was pretty (seemingly) drug-fucked, so i didn't take much notice. then my housemate came along and immediately started being chummy with this random bum. turned out it was kriss hades. ha.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 pm 

Marag wrote:
I still can't believe that after all these years last.fm never bothered to even try some kind of separation for artists with the same name.

Yeah, it can't be that hard, can it? They could simply consult Musicbrainz or freedb to get the info necessary to seperate artists based on track and album names but no. In fact they did very little at all in the last 5 years or so to improve functionality of their site. I guess they decided that hiring the web developers necessary just wasn't worth the additional ad-revenue. Lame.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:54 pm 

I just make the posts I do because I have yet to find anyone who shares my musical interests on the metal side of things- if I do find someone who claims to like metal, they like metalcore, black or death. Hell, I have trouble finding people who know there is such a thing as metal without harsh vocals. I'd do better if I did more in Austin, but here the only music you can find the majority of people listening to is some form of rap/hip hop or various forms of country. I'm excited to find someone who listens to any form of rock, punk or metal, excluding metalcore kids.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Actually Nochielo, the first Meshuggah album is like a much more pissed off MOP era Metallica, so..... Yeah.

I haven't heard anything prior to Chaosphere, so can't speak for those. But I haven't heard any Meshuggah songs that sound far more like hardcore than metal. Anyone care to explain the metal elements in Meshuggah? I really don't hear any of that.

I think more like an explanation why they are not extreme metal is necessary here. I see their music as a very obvious development of technical thrash taken to the extreme, with some jazzy prog elements added (especially the leads) and downtuned as fuck. The only thing that could ever be taken into account as in at least one percent hardcore in their music is the vocals. If you hear hardcore in anything else they do, then I'm curious about your idea of hardcore.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:38 pm 

Meshuggah are technical nu-metal. They basically play Korn songs in odd times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LpMZuBEMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGK00Q7xx-s

Is it any wonder that their breakthrough coincided with a change in style and their appearance on Ozzfest '02? Chugga chugga chugga chugga!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:21 pm 

Ok, I decided that in order to have a fresh look on the matter, I actually just re-listened both (even though neither song is new to me) and, well...

What the fuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm honestly speechless.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm 

Nothing and Obzen are albums I enjoy a decent amount, but I think you guys are crazy. Contradictions Collapse is fucking garbage.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:04 pm 

I remember CC was just very inconsistent. The first few tracks were definitely good, then it became very monotonous around the middle, and the closing track was pretty cool and experimental.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm 

"Spasm" is awesome. The rest is somewhere between meh and shit. And by "Spasm" I mean the original take, not the version from Re-Nothing.

It would be so easy for a second-year guitar student to do a Meshuggah parody that didn't sound terribly different from what they actually sound like. I considered giving Meshuggah the Anal Cunt treatment (that is, playing like them, but intentionally bad) and making all of the lyrics about mathematics being cool, but I value my vocal chords too much.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 pm 

Chaosphere and Catch 33 are some of my all-time favourite albums. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 pm 

Yeah Spasm is fine, I don't dislike it for some reason, rare when it comes to Meshuggah.

And how can you make Anal Cunt "intentionally bad" when it has been that since the start? Unless you intend to make shitty djent and deathcore covers off Howard is Bald or something like that

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 pm 

I really like Meshuggah. Catch Thirtythree in particular is just a marvel to listen to when you do it the way it's intended to be listened to; all the way through from the beginning.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 pm 

Marag wrote:
Yeah Spasm is fine, I don't dislike it for some reason, rare when it comes to Meshuggah.

And how can you make Anal Cunt "intentionally bad" when it has been that since the start? Unless you intend to make shitty djent and deathcore covers off Howard is Bald or something like that

Meaning I play Meshuggah-style songs that intentionally suck.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 pm 

Sorry, I thought you meant you played Anal Cunt-style songs that intentionally suck.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Meshuggah are technical nu-metal. They basically play Korn songs in odd times.
chugga!

I got an idea. How about next April 1st, remove 'shuggah from the archives and watch the fanboys cry all over the world?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 am 

If that happened, most of the mods I think would be in favor of them not being put back on.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Meaning I play Meshuggah-style songs that intentionally suck.

...But Meshuggah-style songs suck by default, so I'm not sure where intention really enters into it.

I actually owned a Meshuggah album (Nothing)at one point. This was back before I was really all that aware of underground metal, and I bought the album after some review in a mainstream publication favorably compared the band to Tool, who I was really into at the time. I got trolled into buying an Opeth album around the same time via a similar path. I sold both a few years later, but since Meshuggah aren't even in my Winamp library I guess I never even bothered ripping the album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:36 am 

I like Meshuggah from time to time but it really depends on my mood. I picked up their latest album, Koloss or whatever the hell it's called, because it got pretty good reviews around these parts but I'm not a fan. It just sounds like a bunch of lifeless crap that just gets drawn out way too long to me.

iamntbatman wrote:
I got trolled into buying an Opeth album around the same time via a similar path.

Same thing happened to me too. All I ever heard is how great Opeth is so I got their debut from a used cd store when I saw it. I got half way through the first song and turned it off. I don't know what people see in their music.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:48 am 

The first two Opeth albums, despite having some excellent songs on them, take a LOT of listening to in order to not be bored to tears by just how big these songs are. This issue started to go away on My Arms, Your Hearse, through Still Life, and finally they got it right on Blackwater Park. Compare the pacing of Forest of October with a later song like The Grand Conjuration. A marked improvement, even though the former is my favorite song off Orchid.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 am 

Opeth to me were always a band that is boring and induced me to sleep. The exception to this is their last album which is a very solid piece of 70's styled hard prog. If they continued this route I would be very happy.

In other news - more people need to listen to the first two Tokyo Blade albums. These two are some of the prime examples of how awesome NWOBHM could be. Packed with riffs, melody and energy.

Also - the new Witch Cross album rules.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:17 am 

Opeth back in the day were one of the first bands to convince me that I really loved Death Metal.

Good ideas, poor execution.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:45 am 

Subrick wrote:
The first two Opeth albums, despite having some excellent songs on them, take a LOT of listening to in order to not be bored to tears by just how big these songs are.

haha

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 am 

Subrick wrote:
If that happened, most of the mods I think would be in favor of them not being put back on.

And I would to agree. Can't stand them, with their chuggy go-nowhere "clever" time signatures :wanker:

They are boring.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I actually really like Opeth's Orchid. Smooth and cool as hell melodic, and, at time atmospheric album.

My collection

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:59 am 

I'm a bit of a Meshuggah fanboy, as has been established, but I do think it's time for them to perhaps give it up if Koloss is the quality of their output from now on. Like, it's not bad and I do like it, but from what they did from Destroy Erase Improve to Catch 33 will be their highlights.

Nevertheless, I will still look forward to any and all new albums they may produce in the future.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 am 

Subrick wrote:
The first two Opeth albums, despite having some excellent songs on them, take a LOT of listening to in order to not be bored to tears by just how big these songs are. This issue started to go away on My Arms, Your Hearse, through Still Life, and finally they got it right on Blackwater Park. Compare the pacing of Forest of October with a later song like The Grand Conjuration. A marked improvement, even though the former is my favorite song off Orchid.

This might also be me having a massive sentiment for these two (I got into Orchid/Morningrise when I was really, really young for some reason, and they actually got me into harsh vocals/growls), but I've never had a problem with Orchid and Morningrise. The songwriting is still pretty chaotic, but the atmosphere of these albums is just amazing. If there's any album that gives me that "walking through a forest" feeling, it's definitely these two, although I've always thought Morningrise is a bit of an improvement (Advent, THOSE RIFFS).

Although from Still Life onwards the songwriting has definitely become great and the albums don't have to be carried by just the atmosphere. The improvement between Black Rose Immortal and, say, The Moor is amazing.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 am 

I've been listening to Agalloch off YouTube at work, and the thing keeps suggesting Gallowbraid to me. I sampled a few tracks, and it's not bad. Anyone happen to have a copy of the EP for trade?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:50 am 

Anyone happen to have a tutorial for Soulseek for the old geezer who still lives in the 20th century?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am 

The new Ayreon has 42 songs, damn! Can't wait to hear that album, I'm a bit worried by the number of songs though as I like their longer songs.
Tracklist:
Spoiler: show

Cover art:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:28 am 

Mr Cameron speaking at G20 summit;

"Britain is an island that has helped to clear the European continent of fascism and was resolute in doing that throughout the Second World War,"

"Britain is an island that helped to abolish slavery, that has invented most of the things worth inventing, including every sport currently played around the world, that still today is responsible for art, literature and music that delights the entire world.

"We are very proud of everything we do as a small island - a small island that has the sixth-largest economy, the fourth best-funded military, some of the most effective diplomats, the proudest history, one of the best records for art and literature and contribution to philosophy and world civilisation."

We were even a democracy once :-D

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am 

mindshadow wrote:
We were even a democracy once

UK has been a monarchy as far as written history goes, basically. Stop deluding yourself.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 am 

I don't think the representative monarchy in Britain has much to do with how democratic or undemocratic it was during the last century.
Of course in a truly democratic country there wouldn't be any kind of monarchy, but which country is truly democratic? I've never seen one that is.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am 

inhumanist, would you mind? Grown-ups are having a discussion. With mindshadow.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:10 am 

Metantoine wrote:
The new Ayreon has 42 songs, damn! Can't wait to hear that album, I'm a bit worried by the number of songs though as I like their longer songs.
Tracklist:

Cover art:

Looks like an uber-mega-ultra-super expansion of the idea of Porcupine Tree's The Incident. That one was a continuous song cycle of just fourteen tracks... :p

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am 

I wonder how much Wizards of the Coast will fuck up when it comes to Dungeons And Dragons 5e (aka DnD Next). Fourth edition was a dismal failure and resulted in a gigantic spilntering of the player base with most 3e people going to Pathfinder and old school grognards being even futher alienated. I doubt they can regain any of those two groups. They basically should put all of their cards on gaining new players and that can be problematic for many reasons.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 518  Next