Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 am 

Do you work in an assisted care center or something? When I was younger I worked in a nursing home and there was a guy there who always peed in the elevators after dinner.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Do you work in an assisted care center or something? When I was younger I worked in a nursing home and there was a guy there who always peed in the elevators after dinner.

My city's police department. He actually got arrested a few days ago for something and had some weed on him, which was confiscated, of course. He got himself into trouble again for calling 911 about 30 times to report that the police wouldn't give him his weed back. Things spiraled out of control, which is par for the course around here. I got to work this morning and he was already in the holding cell.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 am 

Can someone recommend me a cheap turntable? That would be supercool.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:24 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
it just hurts me to see attractive people committing crimes - ugh - crime is for ugly people of low breeding.

Varg is that you? I didn't think you would frequent a forum full of evil liberal-gay-jew-metalheads like this one :wink:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:29 pm 

Quote:
Can someone recommend me a cheap turntable? That would be supercool.

I've got a "Steepletone" one, I think it's called - it was in the £30-£50 bracket including posting from Amazon. Let it be noted I'm recommending it because it's cheap, and not because it's good, because there are fairly solid grounds for concluding that it isn't.; for instance, trying to plug in headphones makes it become quieter, as opposed to making sound come out of the headphones themselves. It very much does the job though, and if I can make plug-in speakers actually work, might even sound reasonable someday.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 pm 

:lol: Well okay, that doesn't sound very convincing. An old turntable thread suggests it might be a good idea to look for old, used ones. Something I should pay special attention to when doing that?

Edit: Listening to Jon Lord - Sarabande vinyl at my parent's. Now that's some fucking cool music! R.I.P.
Sadly they won't surrender their turntable... :-P

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:43 pm 

I am trying to understand why some doctors have such god complexes. Show some goddamn humility and try to at least pretend like you have a heart.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:18 pm 

Moonsorrow's got some good stuff. I need to listen to more Moonsorrow. Let's talk about Moonsorrow.

The name Moonsorrow gets a little sillier each time I think about it.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 pm 

I've only heard four of their albums, but the second one is still the best. It has just about the best ratio of silly/goofy folk metal and more serious stuff. Plus it's more rifftastic than the 1st, 3rd, or 5th albums (I haven't heard the 4th or 6th albums).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsgGR1J ... ata_player
Phobocosm is a very cool new death/doom band from Montréal, this was their 2nd show ever if I'm not mistaken, I was there for the first show! Their first album will be awesome and along with Chthe'ilist, they're the future of Québec death metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Oh, teenage girls. Always thinking with your dicks.

THIS is being sig'd.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:05 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I've only heard four of their albums, but the second one is still the best. It has just about the best ratio of silly/goofy folk metal and more serious stuff. Plus it's more rifftastic than the 1st, 3rd, or 5th albums (I haven't heard the 4th or 6th albums).

The 4th and 5th are my personal favourites, I love the epic more serious approch, with just enough bombastic over the topness to keep hings thrilling. The last album misses the bombast and sucks total ass outside of the third pretty good song. You should try Veriskeet, it's definitely more serious and dark that the first three, but its a bit tighter and less all over the place than Hevitetty. Pimea has the only flute/pipe instrument/keyboard approximation of a traditional instrument hook that I've ever loved.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 pm 

So far the only album I've spent any actual time with is Havitetty, but it definitely struck me as a great example of a band successfully stretching out metal compositions to what you would expect to be exhausting lengths and yet never falling into tedium or losing momentum and dynamism. What I've sampled from Verisakeet as well as Voimasta Ja Kunniasta have also been really positive. They really incorporate the folk influences in a great way, steering well wide of hoedown cheese in favor of lots of epic vibes. I noticed the reviews on the newest album were a lot more divided than those for the previous discs.

STORMM's thread on Ifing made me remember to delve more into Moonsorrow's work this morning, and though the former's take on that kind of epic heatheny metal has its merits, it doesn't do as much for me. Vocals aren't nearly as good, and I really feel that building tedium within the compositions, that sort of "fuck, this track is only half over?" feeling. With Moonsorrow I get this great sense of not realizing how much time is passing as I listen... I just get sort of subconsciously awash in the work, more lost in the moment-to-moment experience.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
I am trying to understand why some doctors have such god complexes. Show some goddamn humility and try to at least pretend like you have a heart.

First off, again, condolences. I hope she's stable and repairing.

I'm not sure about the god complex (probably comes from being an authority figure everyone constantly bows down to and making a hundred g's plus), but I can offer some perspective on the heartlessness. A lot of it comes down to med school. I'm friends with a couple who both disappeared into med school a few years ago, but on one of the rare occasions I saw them, the boyfriend was talking about anatomy class and learning surgery procedures. At first he was really put off by what a callous man his professor was, wondering how the hell he could be so cold. Then after a few weeks of gruesome classes and exposure, he started getting numb to it and was starting to have a hard time NOT looking at people as bags of meat. It takes its toll, for sure. But really, I'd say feel free to remind the doctor that you haven't been through that and that's your mom in there and could he please remember that kindness is part of bed-side manner.. It starts to be an industry after a while, but also, considering the shit they have to see regularly, it isn't too surprising they get detached.

I know a woman who worked in the ER for over a decade and the pressure was so bad she got addicted to pills. So .. caring also has its downsides in a position like that. Not that this makes it any better when they're dicks. Don't let any of that keep you from giving them a reality check. Might be good for them. .. Best to your mom, you, and your family.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm 

Summoning have been hitting the spot so goddamn hard these past few days.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

:thumbsup: I've been listening to Summoning almost exclusively this past week. Even got two of my non-metal friends sort of interested in them.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm 

That's not too hard since they're barely metal!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:05 pm 

Among the tides of Queensryche, Jag Panzer and other stuff I've been addicted to The Devil's debut. It's not metal really, aside from some heavy guitars - more of an ambient album. But it's such a rare gem in that it has such a unified purpose and vision for what the band is. I don't agree with all the views expressed, but this is a band with really something to say, which I'd like to see more of.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
:thumbsup: I've been listening to Summoning almost exclusively this past week. Even got two of my non-metal friends sort of interested in them.

Haha yeah I've had a hard time listening to anything but them and that new Caladan Brood band who more or less worship the hell out of them the past few days. I think the most impressive aspect of the band is how they manage to take such cheap, shitty synths and create such massive atmospheres from them. Now, if only I had some fantasy novels to read...

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

I still consider it an achievement considering these are two people who cringe and shudder at the sound of harsh vocals.

theposega wrote:
Caladan Brood

I just checked them out on youtube. Goddamn. Thanks for introducing me.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:

It ain't easy being fat and gay. Shit is like oil and water.
Fags can be viscous for real, honey-child.

Not sure if you're serious about the fat & gay thing...But If so I feel you, most Bromos are in good shape it seems. Dude, my best advice is fucking psyche yourself up somehow I don't care if you gotta drink a 5 hour energy and listen to Angel of death 47 times just fuckin do it and go to the gym and jump on the exercise bike first then the treadmill to work the kinks in your muscles and avoid whatever soreness you can, one strenuous cardio exercise is very exhilarating I mean like an hour, and you will feel great afterwards, hardest part is doing it that first time. This is coming from someone who joined the military without ever working out a day in his life now keeping my job depends on staying in shape. Oh, and if you do heed my advice drink at least 16oz of water before starting and another 16 while on the bike.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 pm 

iAm wrote:
I think he kind of looks like this guy...

Spoiler: show

He just wanted his goddamm pancakes!

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

The possession of authority (even illusory authority created for the purpose of a sociological experiment) has a way of making otherwise normal people turn into raging self-centered assholes. Also if your doctor drives a bright red Porsche 911, he's probably not a very trustworthy doctor (speaking from personal experience here).

Derigin wrote:
They got him! Taken alive!

I'm glad at least this one terrorist is actually going to get his just deserts in a real court instead of this stupid Gitmo farce where some landlord in Afghanistan rats a tenant out to the US authorities on false terrorism charges for being late with rent and we drag him off to our Cuban torture farm indefinitely. KEEPING 'MURICA SAFE.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
It ain't easy being fat and gay. Shit is like oil and water.
Fags can be viscous for real, honey-child.

You fo' realz? All my gay friends get laid, like, five times as often as me* and you're way better looking than most... if not all of them. Although I guess you've indicated in the past you're not particularly interested in the sexual side of things, soooo I guess that could be an issue. Still though, gayting seems to have a lower attractiveness bar than str8ing, at least in my circle of cyclist/pretentious movie buff hipster friends. I guess it could be different in your area, though!

*though this may have something to do with the fact that I sleep exclusively with skinny black women and I live in Nebraska
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
They are less metal than, say, Gorgoroth or Lunar Aurora, but calling them "barely metal" is fucking ridiculous. Lugburz is 100% black metal and they've only gradually increased electronic non-metal elements over the years. They've still got a bunch of songs with black metal riffs on every album, and even their non-metal stuff is pretty damn metal for not being metal in the narrow sense. :panda:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:29 am 

Seriously, they aren't very metallic. Their most metallic album since Lugburz was Let The Mortal Heroes, but even that was unmetal but for a couple of heavy metal riffs and the vocals. About as metal as Coldworld.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am 

Eh, they just seem un-metal to you because you nerds spend a lot of time listening to metal. So to your senses they seem far removed from that standard. In a world where Rammstein or Marilyn Manson count as metal to the general population though, Summoning are as metal as an anvil. But as opposed to Marilyn Manson and Rammstein they are metal at the core, while just having so greatly expanded their horizons that metal fans feel alienated. Just like a ferret on steroids looks like a poodle to some people (okay, bad analogy).

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 am 

Eh, no man. You can't always look at things just on a relative scale. Even on an absolute scale, they're not "too" metal. Yeah, I wouldn't go as far and say "barely" but maybe minimal metal elements. Anyway, does it really matter? :)

I'm seriously thinking of adopting a Corgi pup (if ever I get the chance to). They're fuckin' adorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... OF3icemRJc

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 am 

Nay, does not matter. I'm just bored.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am 

Stronghold is pretty goddamn FUCKING METAL, certainly one of the goddamn metallest discs in their catalogue. I mean I see where you guys are going with this, but there's still plenty of metal to be found in Summoning's oeuvre. Minas Morgul is a lot more metal than it's not. Oath Bound is really the only full-length of theirs that starts to let the metal ( :metal: ) go altogether.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:49 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
They are less metal than, say, Gorgoroth or Lunar Aurora, but calling them "barely metal" is fucking ridiculous. Lugburz is 100% black metal and they've only gradually increased electronic non-metal elements over the years. They've still got a bunch of songs with black metal riffs on every album, and even their non-metal stuff is pretty damn metal for not being metal in the narrow sense. :panda:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Stronghold is pretty goddamn FUCKING METAL, certainly one of the goddamn metallest discs in their catalogue. I mean I see where you guys are going with this, but there's still plenty of metal to be found in Summoning's oeuvre. Minas Morgul is a lot more metal than it's not. Oath Bound is really the only full-length of theirs that starts to let the metal ( :metal: ) go altogether.

I love it, but Oath Bound is really almost completely divorced from metal in my opinion. There were...I'm not really sure what the best word is...premonitions, maybe---that they were going that route on Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, but you wouldn't know it unless you actually sat down and tried to play the riffs on guitar. The second riff on "Runes of Power" is a great example: sure, the phrasing is metal, but when you tab out the fingering on the guitar it becomes pretty obvious it was composed on a piano/synth first and then transposed to guitar. With Oath Bound, virtually every song has at least one riff like that. And most of them actually sound like a piano leitmotif too.

Of course, this is all predicated on the idea that something has to be played on and be composed around guitars to be metal.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:57 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWLZjArVpo

Go 38 seconds in to see my point. He's playing the synth part and the guitar riff at the same time with ease. Hell, this could have easily been exactly how Summoning composed it originally, then afterwards decided to split it up between synth and guitar.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:11 pm 

That probably is how that song was composed, really. But, just for the sake of argument (because we all loooove arguing), couldn't you play plenty of metal on piano and then say it was 'clearly composed on piano and then transposed to guitar'? :scratch: I mean how can you really know? With Summoning it makes more immediate/logical sense because they are so heavily keyboard-based, but theoretically plenty of bands could compose this way and it wouldn't make them any less metal. I'm not sure the specific instrument of origin necessarily has any bearing on the ultimate genre of the music, as long as it sounds like metal in the end. I can sing a riff first and then play it on guitar, but that doesn't make the music "voice-based," if you see what I mean.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
You fo' realz? All my gay friends get laid, like, five times as often as me

I may be doing the gay wrong.
Hehe, foreskins.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:39 pm 

Calm your sex, Inhumanist. I love the band but Fenriz's scrambled eggs are more metal than Summoning. My one sentence statement was obviously a joke, ya know and it touched your German humor fanboy sensibilities!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:52 pm 

The tibetan mastiff is the most expensive dog in the world. And purebreds can go for as high as $1.5 million. Sigh.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/193237/ ... the-world/

But damn, have a look at this guy!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 pm 

So are you guys saying that Summoning is included on the Archives on the basis of Lugburz alone?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:02 pm 

Personally, I would assume so considering I have every album except Lugburz and Stronghold, and there's very, very little metal in the four or five albums otherwise. Like, the influence is there and they're definitely part of the scene, but anybody calling them a predominately black metal band, especially nowadays, is just lying to themselves.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:11 pm 

shouvince wrote:
The tibetan mastiff is the most expensive dog in the world. And purebreds can go for as high as $1.5 million. Sigh.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/193237/ ... the-world/

But damn, have a look at this guy!

I already knew about this breed, but had no idea they were that expensive.
Apparently, the "real" Tibetan Mastiff from Tibet is very different from the "breed standard" dog most likely being bought by these wealthy chiinamen. They are said to be very ferocious guard dogs and unfit as companions. Either way, they look fucking metal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:12 pm 

Definitely not black metal, that's just silly. But fantasy metal, say...that's a whole different argument. I do find a lot of 'metalness' in Summoning, but their style is so unique and unusual that it makes them difficult to categorize. I dunno... I think whatever HB/Morrigan think :P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 518  Next