Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:07 pm 

If ticket sales determine relevance, then Nickleback must be one of the most musically relevant bands out there today.

Lib, I can only speak for myself, but I don't dislike later Anathema solely because it's poppy, accessible or lightweight. It's because I don't feel they pull off that type of music very well. To my ears it largely comes off as a mix of boring post-rock and boring soft rock. I don't really buy the whole "uplifting feels" aspect people are on about - it just sounds cheesy to me. I know I'm kind of dwelling on this song but I think it's the perfect example - "Everything" sounds like a lighter and sappier Coldplay, with the addition of female vocals of course. It's just really annoying and sounds like something played at the credits of a horrible romance movie or something I'd hear on 88.1 Soft Rock.

Edit - Judgement is indeed a good album, A Natural Disaster is the last album they've released that I would consider worthwhile. Weather Systems is massively overrated.

Last edited by Thumbman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm 

Chad Kroeger is a visionary.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:42 pm 

So much so that he was cruelly retracted from his well-deserved place on the Metal Archives.

4/1/13 NEVER FORGET :(

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm 

Yep, all modern day Anathema totally sounds like milquetoast Coldplay worship ;)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:30 pm 

Carcass and Macabre tonight, look for the unshaven guy with the ecru Sigh shirt, ask him if he's a necrophiliac.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm 

Probably the worst thing ever is when you're in a business-type relationship with somebody and when you send emails with English or American-isms, they don't understand and then get completely offended. I was discussing final payment plans with said person and I started my email off with, "I'll tell you what," you know, like saying, "hey, how does this work for you?" He sent me back an email basically saying he didn't like the tone of my email. I apologized and said my opening sentence may have been misconstrued as something else.

It sure makes communication difficult, especially if you're already a super casual guy in terms of tone and stuff.

I'm probably going to terminate our work relationship once I get my money, anyway. I'm being horribly underpaid for this project and he's had non-stop "problems" or issues with almost every email I sent him concerning the project scope and budget, etc. He forgets I'm a contractor and not one of his employees.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
you're in a business-type relationship with somebody

FasterDisaster wrote:
you're already a super casual guy in terms of tone and stuff

I'm pretty sure this is your problem put in basest terms.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:49 pm 

There's nothing wrong with having a casual attitude, as long as I'm timely and respectful, which I am. And I do good work. it was just one phrase he probably didn't understand and got offended by because it came off as something else. Tone is hard to parse in email, anyway.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having a casual attitude, as long as I'm timely and respectful, which I am. And I do good work. it was just one phrase he probably didn't understand and got offended by because it came off as something else. Tone is hard to parse in email, anyway.

Usually as the emails progress you can tell what type of person you are dealing with, and whether or not you can lighten the tone (I generally do). Mind telling us where the guy is from? Could be a cultural thing, who knows really.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 pm 

Since I haven't bothered to ask specifically, I want to say he might Chinese. He's Asian, definitely, I'm just not sure where specifically. Definitely not Korean or Japanese. Doesn't look Thai, either. His English is mostly fine, though I'll notice a word missing occasionally from his emails, but it's nothing major.

And since I'm working for mostly Asian companies, either they don't value my sector of work, or assume it can all be done for cheap, because I'm doing stuff on the cheap right now in hopes of bigger stuff coming down the pipeline. Sacrifice a little more now for a work relationship or other contacts, and get bigger projects in the future, I hope.

And I'm also desperate for work. I ain't too far from sucking a dick for some money. And yes, that's the second time in a week I've mentioned oral sex in the Free-For-All. Also hopefully the last. Better news though, I also got a part time job at Home Depot moving and loading stuff. Should be good times. Kinda the opposite of what I'm doing now, so I think it'll be a nice counterbalance.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm 

All my work emails are cold, faceless and impersonal. I'd basically like to convey the impression of communicating with a robot.

Also, to discourage people from calling me I haven't changed my voicemail message from the previous person who had the extention. It was this Indian dude named Raj who hurriedly mumbles something in a thick accent before saying the company name, and then he leaves a really long pause before the tone. It's a great deterrent, and anytime someone does leave me a voicemail they seem thrown off and slightly bewildered.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:26 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
And I'm also desperate for work. I ain't too far from sucking a dick for some money.

If it's any consolation I've been collecting empty cans and bottles from parks and recycling them to make extra money. I even made a facebook group for it, where we post pics of scores, such as four empty cans found on a park bench and other such brag-worthy items of note. There's no shame in wanting money at least.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:03 pm 

Quote:
They might occasionally sound like Coldplay or U2 or whatever, but I don't see why that automatically counts as a bad thing,

This automatically counts as a very very very very bad thing.

Glad drone and ANA are around. I gave Weather Systems a look after Natural Disaster, and I really have no idea whatsoever how anyone can find this exciting. Anything but a masterpiece, remarkably boring really.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:14 pm 

droneriot wrote:
We're talking about a band that stopped being relevant 15 years ago.

The whole "this band is not relevant anymore" thing is absolutely retarded. Long live The Only Correct Opinion which determines which bands should still write stuff and which should have already split up, and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

This is not just Anathema related, seen something like this said in various parts of the forum and it's nothing else than retarded.

dystopia4 wrote:
If ticket sales determine relevance, then Nickleback must be one of the most musically relevant bands out there today.

Lib, I can only speak for myself, but I don't dislike later Anathema solely because it's poppy, accessible or lightweight. It's because I don't feel they pull off that type of music very well. To my ears it largely comes off as a mix of boring post-rock and boring soft rock. I don't really buy the whole "uplifting feels" aspect people are on about - it just sounds cheesy to me. I know I'm kind of dwelling on this song but I think it's the perfect example - "Everything" sounds like a lighter and sappier Coldplay, with the addition of female vocals of course. It's just really annoying and sounds like something played at the credits of a horrible romance movie or something I'd hear on 88.1 Soft Rock.

Edit - Judgement is indeed a good album, A Natural Disaster is the last album they've released that I would consider worthwhile. Weather Systems is massively overrated.

Imo "Everything" is not a good example, and for me it's the only song on the last two albums I slightly dislike, exactly because it's the only song that crosses the line between "clever, convincing optimistic atmosphere" and "overly sweet". On the other hand, Dreaming Light is equally accessible, but it's a lot more subtle and actually emotional. Not to mention the two Untouchables which are amazing.

It's hard to call Weather Systems - or We're Here Because We're Here - overrated as these two cause massively varied opinions, to the point of people even sometimes splitting between "WHBWH is awesome, how is WS so weak then", or, like me "WHBWH was decent but WS does it much better". I've seen everything from burning hatred to massive love towards both of these albums, so perceiving them as universally loved is really weird. That would be A4 and Judgement, as not everyone considers them divine (although many people do), but I don't think I've heard anyone actually dislike these.

caspian wrote:
Quote:
They might occasionally sound like Coldplay or U2 or whatever, but I don't see why that automatically counts as a bad thing,

This automatically counts as a very very very very bad thing.

Because all accessible rock is bad, and if something is not underground to the core it automatically sucks.

(What's the generally agreed way to do a sarcasm font around here?)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm 

So Coldplay and U2 = all accessible rock now? :lol: I don't really care about Anathema as I have never heard anything they've done, but you should be less defensive about these things.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 pm 

Can everyone stop fucking calling me "defensive" when I, GASP, dare to do pretty much the same thing as 3435683245678654312457683213567 people in this thread, which is stating my opinion? (And in a less aggressive way than most)

No, but I got the idea from his post that he means that indeed, all of it. (Dismissing all of U2, which has one of the more varied and experimental discographies in rock, as worthless is a quite ridiculous concept.)

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm 

Calm down dude, it's the internet.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Can everyone stop fucking calling me "defensive" when I, GASP, dare to do pretty much the same thing as 3435683245678654312457683213567 people in this thread, which is stating my opinion?

Stop being a defensive little bitch.

(I just really wanted to say this for comedic effect.)

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm 

I actually do a samurai war cry every time someone writes a post disagreeing with me, and every such post brings me closer to a ritual suicide with a katana. Seriously.

I also write from a bunker to be more defensive. Ha ha.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm 

i wouldn't say you're overly defensive, well, actually I will say it, because you are. Plus you whine basically all the time, and make a huge amount of strawmen. I'm curious as to whether you even like metal- every band I've seen you plug has been a variant on wuss rock (Katatonia= aggressive! remember that?).

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 pm 

I find it very amusing how with all your "cool guy" and "don't care" attitude, you sometimes seem plain obsessed with trying to find something to insult me. The Katatonia thing just cracks me up :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:
Can everyone stop fucking calling me "defensive" when I, GASP, dare to do pretty much the same thing as 3435683245678654312457683213567 people in this thread, which is stating my opinion?

You'll never be funny though.

TheLib, you're always on the defensive but sadly your defense is as good as Poland's army during WWII (get off your high horse, get it?)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

You hairy blasphemer.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

TheLib, you're also on the defensive but sadly your defense is as good as Poland's army during WWII (get off your high horse, get it?)

Except unlike them, I don't even care that much about defending anything. But it seems like some people have some really weird obsession with me, and even if everyone is throwing aggressive bullshit around and all I do is sneaking in a short post written while half-asleep (which is what happened on the previous page), LIB IS THE DEFENSIVE AND WHINY ONE! OMFG

Anyway, I stop bothering now, sorry for not being cool enough to join the elite circle here or whatever the fuck it is. Carry on.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Anyway, I stop bothering now, sorry for not being cool enough to join the elite circle here or whatever the fuck it is. Carry on.

Not helping your argument there dude.

Anyway, anyone hear the new Endstille track? I'm not entirely sure what it is about this band , their music is straight ahead and by the books but they really managed to nicely balance melody and aggression on the last couple records. Not quite sure yet how I feel about this new track, seems like they are going for a bigger sound. The rocking, punky riff is pretty cool but the slower sections seem like a flat attempt to go for epic.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/endsti ... reaming-2/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Al ... ned/388488

Instructions unclear, I died.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
I actually do a samurai war cry every time someone writes a post disagreeing with me, and every such post brings me closer to a ritual suicide with a katana. Seriously.

Seppuku is performed with a wakizashi. If you only get one chance, get it right, man.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
LIB IS THE DEFENSIVE AND WHINY ONE! OMFG

You are the whiny one? Thanks for letting me know because as far as I was concerned you were just some random, faceless user among a horde of random, faceless users without anything memorable about them (save for your username which I vaguely associate with a guy who I discussed anarchism with). But now you're the whiny one. :-P

Under_Starmere wrote:
Seppuku is performed with a wakizashi. If you only get one chance, get it right, man.

I love sushi!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

You sure? I have a friend who is really into that shit and claims that a kikuichimoji is the preferred weapon. I personally would use chirijiraden or kiyomori for style over substance.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 pm 

I would personally use a chainsaw, I'm spectacular.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

slow mo seppuku via plastic knife, that's how it should be done. Make everyone suit down and watch for an hour or two

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 pm 

The most horrible form of suicide normally takes around 40-60 years and is called adult life.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
Gardenian's Soulburner is a good ass record.

Hell yeah it is and soooo under discussed and recommended, it's actually one of my favorite melo death albums of all time.

BastardHead wrote:
Carcass and Macabre tonight, look for the unshaven guy with the ecru Sigh shirt, ask him if he's a necrophiliac.

You're a bastard. :-D

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

You sure? I have a friend who is really into that shit and claims that a kikuichimoji is the preferred weapon.

Hmm...I'd have to guess that purely for practicality's sake one wouldn't want to (or even really easily be able to) disembowel oneself with anything longer than a short sword. It's quite possible he may have been referring to the sword that was used in the decapitation portion of the seppuku ritual. That makes sense. You can find references to wakizashi in seppuku pretty easily on da web but not so with the blade you mentioned. But I'm no expert in these things, really, so WJCK.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 pm 

Neither am I, I got all of those sword names from Final Fantasy Tactics. Sarcasm detector failure.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 pm 

:|

I blame you here.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Neither am I, I got all of those sword names from Final Fantasy Tactics. Sarcasm detector failure.

On the plus side, for about six seconds we all thought you were a ninja.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 am 

So this is the funniest thing I've watched in a minute. Some of you may know about it, some may not. The one guy seriously sounds like Toki from Metalocalypse.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:06 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Really, it can be performed with any of the Japanese short swords, of which the wakizashi is just one sort. The tanto for exampe was also common.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 am 

Insomnia for the freaking loss. Despite how it looks, I really despise sitting up on here all night.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 ... 518  Next