Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 pm 

I'm not detracting from either of those excellent films but I know I've watched Robocop like 300 times. it's a constant viewing pleasure.

this remake that's going on is going to be such fucking bullshit.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 pm 

I remember when I was a kid me and the neighbors used to sneak a copy of Die Hard 2 that their parents had tapped off HBO or something like that all the time, man that was an awesome movie. They're re-making Robocop?? :durr: It's Probably gonna suck as bad as the remake of Judge Dredd.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm 

the new robocop looks like a shitty fucking batman. look here:

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 pm 

That version of Robocop has got nothing on RobertCop

Spoiler: show

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
It's Probably gonna suck as bad as the remake of Judge Dredd.

Dredd wasn't any more a remake of Judge Dredd than The Dark Knight was a remake of Batman & Robin. It was another film based on the comic, and it was significantly closer to the source.

Also, I haven't seen it, but everything I've heard tells me that it's significantly better than Judge Dredd, which kind of sucked.

Menternor wrote:
That version of Robocop has got nothing on RobertCop

I'll see your RobertCop and raise you a Knight Rider Becames Robert:
Spoiler: show

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 pm 

dear god those toys.. I want.

and yea I heard and saw the preview for Dredd and knew it was basically another take on the comic which I'm fine with I just plan on renting it.

But this robocop is supposed to be a full remake.. it'll suck like the remake of Total Recall which I refuse to watch as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 pm 

I watched The Fugitive again tonight; behind Die Hard and Terminator 2 that's got to be one of the best action movies, if you could call it that. Maybe more of a blend of thriller/suspense and action. But it's fucking awesome anyway.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:04 pm 

:annoyed:

Hanging out on the beach with pretty girls showing off your tattoo is cool and all, but three days later it's a god damned mess. Fuck sunburns.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 pm 

Have you watched any of the old Roy Huggins TV show on which The Fugitive was based, Empyreal? Because it's friggin' awesome.

No comment on the movie from me; I'm sure you'll guess :P .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:08 am 

darkeningday wrote:
No comment on the movie from me; I'm sure you'll guess :P .

:ah-ha:

Oh and as far as action movies go, It's all about Commando bitches.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:17 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm not detracting from either of those excellent films but I know I've watched Robocop like 300 times. it's a constant viewing pleasure.

this remake that's going on is going to be such fucking bullshit.

Yeah, agreed on both counts. Dredd was a huge surprise in that it was really good, but this new Robocop just has "failure" written all over it. The original managed to thread the needle by perfectly parodying 80s action movie excesses while simultaneously being a genuinely good 80s action movie. It's like a win-win version of Poe's Law. The new one is probably going to try to make it SUPER GRITTY AND SERIOUS and just totally fucking miss the point of the original. At the same time, I harbor the tiny, TINY hope that it will actually do the same thing for 10s action movies that Robocop did for 80s action movies, because good lord is this whole "gritty" trend ripe for parody.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 am 

Dredd? The Fugitive? Robocop? Fuckin' Bloodsport? The FFA is spewing a whole lot of awesome tonight.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 am 

Some mod found this in the band queue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECS5H4OHPA

Seriously the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time. :lol:

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Some mod found this in the band queue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECS5H4OHPA

I still cannot breathe.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:

I'm disappointed that they haven't been added to the site. This is just too horrible not to share with the world. :lol:

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 am 

fetalfeast wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:

I still cannot breathe.

That's actually pretty rockin'.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 am 

Hey, if Underoath can be on this site, so can that band.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 am 

8. The Wheels On The Bus Go Rape Rape
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am 

What the fuck new Robocop looked like a giant pussy... I'm pretty tired of this trend of churning out bad re-makes, rehashes, and sequels that Hollywood has been on for the last few years now. The last movie I saw in the theater was Die Hard 5 and that was lame as fuck and before that I can't even remember the last time I went to the theater.

Azmodes wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 am 

Yes, Die Hard 5 sucked balls. Or should I say ''Not Die Hard: The Adventures of Invincible Bruce Willis''
Also fuck the Robocop remake. I'm not going to see it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yes, Die Hard 5 sucked balls. Or should I say ''Not Die Hard: The Adventures of Invincible Bruce Willis''

Yeah for sure they went way over bored with the faux action shit in 5. Even Die Hard 4 was pushing the envelope with all they shit they pulled in there, the whole semi truck vs fighter jet thing was just absurd but the rest of it was decent. But yeah that aside it was still pushing the boundries of "believable action stunts" and the Die Hard 5 just blew that out of the fucking water. I'll just stick with the original trilogy and maybe 4 a few times cause Justin Long is funny and Mary Elizabeth Winstead (need I say more?)

Azmodes wrote:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 am 

I haven't even watched Die Hard 4 or 5... just haven't cared.

And I agree totally failsafeman, Same thing with Starship Troopers... took something that was ultra stupid in theory and made something quite awesome... and guess what... same director.
Paul Verhoeven, oh and directed Total Recall. it's like hollywood is trying to erase him with utterly piss poor remakes.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:41 am 

So how about the fact that Monsanto can't be sued anymore if shit hits the fan because of their genetically modified food? Seems like a perfectly legal and democratic thing to do..... You know something is wrong when a company is so insecure about the safety of their own products that they need to pass a bill saying they can't be sued... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbXpRReaHk

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am 

Fuck Monsanto.
The typical modern corporation is structured in a way that anyone in charge who puts ethics before profit is immediately replaced.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 am 

I went to listen to Jane Goodall give a speech at Oakland University last night, and got to meet her afterwards. If you ever want an absolutely humbling experience, read one of her books - or better yet, look into her eyes. I was overwhelmed by her radiance and her love, and by how committed she is. The poor woman looked absolutely exhausted, though. At 78 years old, and still travelling 300 days a year, it is no wonder why.

After listening to her speak I feel like I need to re-assess what is important in my life and what I am going to choose to do with it.

If anybody has a chance, go see her.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am 

Robocop remake sounds like a terrible idea, though an altogether predictable one. :ugh: Probably won't ever watch it, just like the Total Recall remake. And even though I had no ill feelings about a Dredd redux (since the original was fucking laughable, I figured there wasn't any real legacy to shit on), I still think they wasted a good opportunity there. The general premise wasn't that bad and it had some neat ideas, but where there could have been tons of tension there was mostly flaccidity; where there was room for martial ingenuity and skin-of-their-teeth survival there was only lazy writing; and where there could have been some sort of actually interesting "final boss stage" confrontation there wasn't any real fight at all. Plus... psychic cop? ...that was just plain bad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 am 

Die Hard 4 wasn't as good as the original three, but it was still plenty awesome on its own. Apparently the new one really is shit, from what I've heard...shame. I'll probably see it on DVD.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am 

I will refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Robocop remake just like the Total Recall remake and The Thing re-re-remake. Fuck that noise.

I live for 80's and 90's action movies... Predator, Terminator 1 & 2, Robocop 1 & 2, Commando, Die Hard trilogy, Cobra, Delta Force, First Blood, Above the Law, Bloodsport, Escape From NY, Cyborg, Raw Deal... Arnold was untouchable back then, man. Those movies are just great, there were even some pretty solid one's moving into the 90's but I don't even remember the last action movie I gave a fuck about. Actually, that last Rambo movie they did was pretty rad now that I think about it...
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 am 

This is really bringing back memories of my childhood. I was always partial to the police action / comedy movies: Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, etc. I also dug the action flicks from that era, like Rambo, Commando, Predator, etc. Predator 2 was like the combination of both genres and styles. I could swear Danny Glover yells "God damnit Riggs, I'm too old for this shit" sometime during Predator 2.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am 

Nobody told me just how bad-ass the Scandinavian Metal Attack version of Bathory's Sacrifice sounds... just thought I'd drop by and recommend it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am 

Glover definitely says "I'm too old for this shit"

I love Predator 2, though I always thought it was a little absurd that the rest of the commandos in the original are killed but Danny. Fucking. Glover. kills the Predator...

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am 

just finished this term's essays :D

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 am 

Fun fact - apparently Busey's character in P2 was supposed to be played by Arnie.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:21 am 

Under_Starmere about Dredd wrote:
The general premise wasn't that bad and it had some neat ideas, but where there could have been tons of tension there was mostly flaccidity; where there was room for martial ingenuity and skin-of-their-teeth survival there was only lazy writing; and where there could have been some sort of actually interesting "final boss stage" confrontation there wasn't any real fight at all. Plus... psychic cop? ...that was just plain bad.

I won't say anything about you disliking the movie (even if I enjoyed it a lot myself), but I want to let you know that there are actual psychic cops in the comic the movie is based on. Actually, in them, the Department of Justice features an entire division comprised of psychics. Can't really criticize a piece of work for being close to the source material, me thinks.
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
I will refuse to acknowledge the existence of the Robocop remake just like the Total Recall remake and The Thing re-re-remake. Fuck that noise.

Oh yeah, fuck the newest The Thing to hell and back. I swear, the CGI completely sucked the life out of that film. The practical effects were a huge part of the success of John Carpenter's version, and seeing the aliens rendered through CGI was like being slapped in the face by a walrus.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Under_Starmere about Dredd wrote:
The general premise wasn't that bad and it had some neat ideas, but where there could have been tons of tension there was mostly flaccidity; where there was room for martial ingenuity and skin-of-their-teeth survival there was only lazy writing; and where there could have been some sort of actually interesting "final boss stage" confrontation there wasn't any real fight at all. Plus... psychic cop? ...that was just plain bad.

I won't say anything about you disliking the movie (even if I enjoyed it a lot myself), but I want to let you know that there are actual psychic cops in the comic the movie is based on. Actually, in them, the Department of Justice features an entire division comprised of psychics. Can't really criticize a piece of work for being close to the source material, me thinks.

Oh yeah, fuck the newest The Thing to hell and back. I swear, the CGI completely sucked the life out of that film. The practical effects were a huge part of the success of John Carpenter's version, and seeing the aliens rendered through CGI was like being slapped in the face by a walrus.

Yeah, Judge Anderson and the PSI division is an absolutely central element to many of the core story arks. If you're not familiar with the source materiel, the 2 films are somewhat unrepresentative if anything. The supernatural aspect of the psychic judges and the horrific things they accidentally trigger off (thinking specifically of the "Necropolis" and "the Judge Child" stories) is part and parcel of what made late 80's Dredd so awesome.

Shit got pretty dark in Mega-city 1, what with the mass demonic posession and genocide. If you recognise ol' smiley there you'll know.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm 

Aw yeah, I get what you're talkin' about. Speaking of which, I'd really like to see Judge Death on a movie. Don't know how he'd fare on a live action film, but I have two words for you regarding voice acting; Mark. Hamill.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm 

New Robocop looks like beefed up Adam Jensen.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:22 pm 

Dredd is the perfect action movie. That is all.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm 

I love Predator 2, though I always thought it was a little absurd that the rest of the commandos in the original are killed but Danny. Fucking. Glover. kills the Predator...

I find it pretty amazing that Danny Glover has built an entire career out of the "I'm too old" thing. Aside from a few movies, everything he has acted in has cast him as the over the hill, tired, about to retire guy who just wants to go home.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

I find it pretty amazing that Danny Glover has built an entire career out of the "I'm too old" thing. Aside from a few movies, everything he has acted in has cast him as the over the hill, tired, about to retire guy who just wants to go home.

Haha well he's been in a ludicrous number of things so I'm not sure his ENTIRE career was built on that but he certainly cornered the market on "tired black guy" in Hollywood.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 518  Next