Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Also, I didn't know you could withdraw cash from a phone.

Indeed, if your mobile produces a bank note, it's obviously a forgery. Only the official, wall-mounted, state sanctioned money printers can spew out sweet smelling, fresh 'n legit currency. Duh.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:14 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ah, in that case you should look into BBH. Branikald, Forest, Raven Dark, all excellent projects with their fair share of absolutely killer releases. Barbaric, wrathful, relentless, uncompromising shit, some of my absolute favorite black metal.

I really would have loved check them out but I just can't get past their ass backward ideology.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 am 

I didn't realize it until today that Metallica's Lulu has something to do with Jack the Ripper... And when I finally did, this immediately popped into my mind:

Quote:
DEREK: That’s right...absolutely right. I mean, we could take those projects that we thought, you know, we didn’t have time for....
DAVID: Oh, there’s dozens, there’s so many dozens of projects.
DEREK: You know, we didn’t have time for ‘em because of Tap and bring ‘em back to life maybe.
DAVID: Do you remember what we were...do you remember the time?
DEREK: At the Luton...at the Luton Palace...
DAVID: Yes.
DEREK: We were talking about a rock musical based on the life of Jack the Ripper...
DAVID: Yeah,’Saucy Jack.’
DEREK: Right.’Saucy Jack.’ Now’s the time to do that.
DAVID: “Saucy Jack, you’re a naughty one, Saucy Jack, you’re a haughty one, Saucy Jack.”
DEREK: Right...
DAVID: It’s a freein’ up, innit?
DEREK: Yeah.

It's a post de facto omen.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am 

Napero wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Also, I didn't know you could withdraw cash from a phone.

Indeed, if your mobile produces a bank note, it's obviously a forgery. Only the official, wall-mounted, state sanctioned money printers can spew out sweet smelling, fresh 'n legit currency. Duh.

Money printers? And I always thought the things ran on leprechaun magic.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
Ah, in that case you should look into BBH. Branikald, Forest, Raven Dark, all excellent projects with their fair share of absolutely killer releases. Barbaric, wrathful, relentless, uncompromising shit, some of my absolute favorite black metal.

I really would have loved check them out but I just can't get past their ass backward ideology.

If it changes anything, the lyrics on the vast majority of those older Branikald/Forest/Raven Dark albums contain little to no racist content, they're much more on the cosmic/spiritual side. I'd say they're more than worth looking into!

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am 

Where to start with Branikald? I heard a few tracks once but not sure which. Ideology doesn't bother me at all
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:19 am 

Start at the beginning with Branikald. The Stormheit demo is just appallingly transcendent and hypnotic. They got away from that long cold Siberian deathmarch songwriting style in later years, which is also when they put the overt NS content into their lyrics. So if that bothers you, you can kill two birds with one stone: avoiding their lesser quality music coincides with avoiding the controversial content. Though there are still quite a few good moments in their transition from raw-but-atmospheric to fast and hateful RAC intluenced black metal - the "Life Revoked from Lives Unworthy" album especially. Or жизнеотрицанью жизневероломство as the original title.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 am 

If you're more into raw black metal, Stormheit would be a good starting point, though for me it's one of their least interesting releases in terms of actual riffs and memorability. I started with Hladavzor - Frost Vision and that was a fantastic starter for me, much more colorful and poignant, and much heavier on the ambient sensibility. Easily one of Branikald's foremost masterpieces, IMO. But really everything from Stormheit all the way through Rising Up the Thing of the Winds (with the exception of To Kampf) is great.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:
If I have to use an atm, which is never, I use ones inside shopping centres, because for some reason cameras and bustling people have a tendency to scare away would be criminals. Thankfully we've moved away from the 90's and have internet banking from phones.

You are clearly not paranoid enough. Phones are incredibly unsafe.

Also, I didn't know you could withdraw cash from a phone. :scratch:

Not withdraw, just use the phone to pay. Many places (over here in my little part of the states at least) are taking PayPal as a legitimate form of payment. Aslo there's some new app that I can't remember the name of that links to your bank account and you just hold your phone up to the pay box thing instead of swiping a card and voila instant payment.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm 

Sounds like begging to get hacked to me. No, thanks.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:19 pm 

Yeah risky business. Phones are being used to pay at point-of-sale outlets using NFC. I think Erosion is referring to this. I'd never do that though, heck I avoid mobile banking completely.

In other news, I got myself a new phone - a Moto G. Supposedly the best budget smartphone right now. It's pretty nifty and since I'm used to stock android (been using my Nexus S for close to 3 years), it didn't take long to get used to.

Last edited by shouvince on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

Yeah no way I'd use my phone for banking. If I could, I wouldn't bank at all, just withdraw every dollar and hole it all up at home.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 pm 

Mobile banking rules. Being able to deposit checks with my phone is the greatest development in human laziness since pizza delivery.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:08 pm 

I think it's fairly secure and most companies and/or banks have policies in place for situations such as getting hacked. Hell in that situation I was referring to a few pages back, where $3,000 was stolen from my accounts, chase had the money back to us within 48 hours. They never even asked us to prove that it was really theft, they also never caught the douche bag to my knowledge. And that app that I was talking about before is called Isis just fyi.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
You are clearly not paranoid enough. Phones are incredibly unsafe.

Also, I didn't know you could withdraw cash from a phone. :scratch:
You're right, I'm clearly not :tinfoil: enough. I better get stuck into bogus sites full of half-truths and build a time machine out of a 4 car batteries, cirtrus acid and a coat hanger, so I can swiftly bring money printing mobiles back to the present.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

No, I mean if you first state that you don't trust ATMs and follow that up by saying that you use your phone instead, then that means your mistrust and/or comprehension of technology is insufficient in regards to your apparent concern for banking safety, that's all I'm saying.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
No, I mean if you first state that you don't trust ATMs and follow that up by saying that you use your phone instead, then that means your mistrust and/or comprehension of technology is insufficient in regards to your apparent concern for banking safety, that's all I'm saying.
Buddy, I was having a laugh, it being the FFA and all.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

Could well have been a sarcastic stab, it's always so hard to tell. I'm a bit paranoid, you know?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Buddy, I was having a laugh, it being the FFA and all.

You think the FFA is a motherfucking game?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:57 pm 

I installed every mod I could find to make Skyrim more bad ass and high resolution and my video card doesn't even break a sweat.

Well, it does, technically since it reaches 70 C, but even in the most chaotic and FPS lagging areas it maintains 60 FPS because of V-sync.

I fucking love my GTX 780 Ti!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 pm 

why wrote:
Metallica - The Lords of Summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rh_eL9Jlc A New Metallica song, which has its moments. Actually it sounds like a spot on emulation of something written between justice and s/T.
Not bad, but then Metallica usually pick the best cut for the first taste. A lot less black album than I assumed. It of course has the unmistakable unedited Metallica song length, where the song continues well beyond when it should end, which I'd say is done about 4 minutes in.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:14 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
I installed every mod I could find to make Skyrim more bad ass and high resolution and my video card doesn't even break a sweat.

Well, it does, technically since it reaches 70 C, but even in the most chaotic and FPS lagging areas it maintains 60 FPS because of V-sync.

I fucking love my GTX 780 Ti!

I have to play Witcher 2 in 1280 x 720 at minimum settings to avoid stuttering, and even then I have occasional FPS drops. I'm not even mad, just impressed that my six year old PC can still handle relatively new games like that. :thumbsup:

Btw did you mean to post that in the Video Game Thread?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 am 

There has been some talk about the controversy of using vaccines and it causing autism. A bunch of stupid celebrities brushed off the benefits of vaccines.

Well, you can always count on the internet to come up with a response to that - http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 am 

I can't listen right now, but Agalloch just released a new track for their upcoming album:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/167 ... al-effigy/

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 am 

shouvince wrote:

Yes, defeating polio in the western world and more recentely India sure is a benefit to just brush off. This is a perfect example of a pseudoscientific claim actually endangering people who believe it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 am 

Damn anti-autistic celebrity bastards (and bastardesses).

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I can't listen right now, but Agalloch just released a new track for their upcoming album:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/167 ... al-effigy/

I really like this. I'm glad they're going back to their older sound since I found Marrow of the Spirit a bit lacking for an Agalloch release.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Mobile banking rules. Being able to deposit checks with my phone is the greatest development in human laziness since pizza delivery.

Does that work well for you, or do you have trouble getting the check to read/approve/whatever? I still go the old fashioned route of using the ATM to deposit shit, but was hoping to switch to a bank that does mobile check depositing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:15 pm 

Works fine for me, but then again I do have a pretty high-res phone camera. Might be tougher to get it to accept the image if you've got a shittier camera.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm 

Does anyone else think that the guy on the front cover of Anthrax's 'Spreading the Disease' looks like he's doing a Godzilla impression? The first time I saw this artwork, I didn't realize that he was lying on a table. :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 pm 

Damn, you're right. Everything I believed is a lie!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 pm 

As always I'm super late to the party but I was blown away by Tribulation's The Formulas of Death on my initial listen. I expected to be bored to tears since it's almost an hour and twenty minutes, but they really just jam-packed each song with great ideas. I haven't seen the comparison anywhere else yet, but I think on Formulas they found a very similar sound to what Negative Plane were doing on Stained Glass Revelations. Very spooky and clean, until the breakneck savagery crashes in. I may have to take up listening to it in sections but I can't wait to get more spins in.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 pm 

Eh, 1 year is not bad for you! Glad you like the album, poojo, one of my highlights of 2013. Seeing them live (for a mere 30 minutes so like 2,5 songs) was pretty awesome too. They looked like they did at least 2 kg of coke with In Solitude's singer!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm 

I still have to hear that Tribulation. Back when I did reviews for Metalcrypt I got a promo of their debut, which was pretty alright. The new one sounds more up my alley.

But today I have been listening to another promo, from my fellow Floridians in Skyliner. Killer fucking power/prog metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZmsDrEy5Y

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Seeing them live (for a mere 30 minutes so like 2,5 songs) was pretty awesome too. They looked like they did at least 2 kg of coke with In Solitude's singer!

Maaan thirty minutes would have been such a tease for Tribulation. Do you remember what they played? I'm sure they were exciting live but it's definitely the kind of music I prefer to be alone with, headphones and all that. I ordered it as sort of a "fluke", just something to pair up with the new Teitanblood, but I think it may end up being a huge favorite/grower.

Digital Resistance rules, by the way. It starts out suuuuper weird but from Magic Hooligan on it pretty much sounds like a Slough Feg album to me. I'm not going to lie, by the time Habeas Corpsus ended I was kind of excited to see how "weird" Scalzi was going to take things. I was a little disappointed when the songs started to sound like the Slough Feg I already know and love. Maybe the next one will be completely off the deep end. Ghastly Appendage KILLS.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:49 pm 

Bout time someone sees it my way, I think Digital Resistance is a complete delight. Many fans don't seem to agree unfortunately. Oh well - I have a blast every time I put it on.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:01 pm 

Man, the Formulas of Death/Negative Plane comparison puts into writing perhaps some of my reservations about that album. It's cool and it's interesting, but fuck, the debut *destroyed*. Stop playing four minute psych solos and RIFF, goddamnit!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm 

Count me in on absolutely loving Digital Resistance. Most peeps seem to prefer the more "normal" songs on the album like Laser Enforcer and Warrior's Dusk, but while those are good songs I consider them to be the weakest of the bunch. Really the only downside of the album is the lack of cohesion between the more traditional songs and the oddballs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:21 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Man, the Formulas of Death/Negative Plane comparison puts into writing perhaps some of my reservations about that album. It's cool and it's interesting, but fuck, the debut *destroyed*. Stop playing four minute psych solos and RIFF, goddamnit!

I haven't heard The Horror but I think I get what you're saying here. Because Et In Saecula was just a face-ripping album, and SGR took a huge step back towards a more wispy and atmospheric sound. But from what I've read it seems like Tribulation made a much more drastic switch than that. There's hardly anything ON Formulas that I would call death metal. Even when they shift up into the really savage and super fast stuff it doesn't sound anything like death metal to me. Really weird album, far better written and paced than I expected. Looking forward to carving out more time with it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 pm 

I've only heard the first Negative Plane's first album and it was extremely disappointing/annoying. I'd heard Cultes des Ghoules comparisons, but the key difference is that Cultes des Ghoules have riffs that are awesome while Negative Plane bounce around from idea to idea without ever really letting anything properly percolate.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480 ... 518  Next