Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm 

You make me sad, fish- man.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Oh...I should mention that I tried giving By the Hands of the Devil a listen this morning and it (the first three tracks, at least) bored me to tears. There are just so many things that don't work very well about that album. I do remember "Before the Flame" being pretty cool, though. Will try to force myself to listen to the rest later.

It really, really picks up after "Before the Flame", "Fallen Angel" being my favourite (Despite the annoyance of tapping da da da da dadadadadadaDA da da da da dadadadadadadaDA on anything I have my hands on for the next three days), the early tracks are definitely the weakest, but still good.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:44 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
You make me sad, fish- man.

'Ts why'm here! :thumbsup:

lord_genghis wrote:
the early tracks are definitely the weakest, but still good.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. So far the album sounds like Rhapsody if they tried to write something that actually had some balls.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Okay, I'll give it a shot. So far the album sounds like Rhapsody if they tried to write something that actually had some balls.

:ugh: :annoyed: :???: :grumble: :scratch: :nono: :snipe: :durr:

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

If you really think those to bands sound anything alike, you're probably the kind of person that thinks most power metal sounds the same. They have practically nothing in common, and neither does most Euro PM and USPM.

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

:ugh: :annoyed: :???: :grumble: :scratch: :nono: :snipe: :durr:

Basically my reaction.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 pm 

I thought U_S was a cool guy :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 pm 

You all know it's true!!!! :guns:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 pm 

Do you have any idea what Rhapsody actually sounds like? :lol:

Anyway, I actually think their more recent compilation (re-recordings of old demo tracks that never got a decent production + some new tracks) was better than the album. Witches Return is fucking awesome, the vocal lines get complex as hell toward the end.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm 

You know, the one thing people mean when they mention a band "sounds like Rhapsody" in any kind of context is usually "the band has keyboards louder than the guitars"...so yeah, totally confused about the Rhapsody comparison.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm 

Yeah, there are really no similarities between Satan's Host and Rhapsody. No clue where you got that from, unless you're just trying to rile up the regulars. :p

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 pm 

The band that I think of first when I hear "Rhapsody with balls" is later Virgin Steele. They're both trying to create these sprawling, multi-part epics, and Defeis gets really keyboard-happy on the Atreus albums, but of course does it a million times better than Rhapsody (and has Ed Pursino's awesome riffs backing him up).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm 

I don't know about Satan's Host or Virgin Steele, but Rhapsody and Manilla Road are pretty similar. :D

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm 

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I don't know about Satan's Host or Virgin Steele, but Rhapsody and Manilla Road are pretty similar. :D

Leave the hall.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 pm 

United States of Tara is a decent series too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 pm 

Listening to the new Tyler, The Creator album. Got to say I'm disappointed. I've already listened to it the whole way through and there weren't many tracks that really stood out to me. It's not bad, and it's definitely better than most rap albums (rap is a genre I'm really picky about) but it left me feeling underwhelmed.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 pm 

So I decided to look for the origin of failsafeman's signature. That thread left me wondering something very very important, so important I am bothering to ask about it here in this sacred Free For All thread...

Did failsafeman really finish an entire coloring book using four pastels?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
So I decided to look for the origin of failsafeman's signature. That thread left me wondering something very very important, so important I am bothering to ask about it here in this sacred Free For All thread...

I recall that thread (human666 is retarded) and I think it was Napero who said it. Coming from him, we just don't know.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

Under_Starmere about By the Hands of the Devil wrote:
So far the album sounds like Rhapsody if they tried to write something that actually had some balls.

That's it, man. I'm calling the Elder Things.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:

Yes, but I've since beaten that record. I'm down to 2.3 now.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm 

Rhapsody of are awful garbage. But Luca is a truly exceptional musician, its a shame that neither he nor his band can write a song to save their lives.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Rhapsody of are awful garbage.

:nazi:
This phrase doesn't seem quite right, perhaps you meant to say "Rhapsody of our awful garbage?" Remember that "are" and "our" are two frequent homophones which commonly are mistaken for each other.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 pm 

I think he meant "Rhapsody are awful garbage." Or maybe "Rhapsody of Awful Garbage" (making fun of the "Rhapsody of Fire" episode).

Maybe he thought of both and accidentally merged them.

Either way it's a vile lie. Rhapsody are heroic metallers.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 pm 

giving Panopticon's Kentucky a listen, quite excellent! Also did my first teaching prac, a year 1 class, I played rhyming card games and got them to count up and down from 100 in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s, quite enjoyable. My week has been made complete by watching u_s get a huge bite from all the USPM nerds 8) Did you know it actually stands for Ultra Sucky Power Metal? :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I think he meant "Rhapsody are awful garbage." Or maybe "Rhapsody of Awful Garbage" (making fun of the "Rhapsody of Fire" episode).

You know I'm just fucking with him, right? "Of" should be emitted.

And yes! Kentucky is a fantastic album, one of my recent favourites.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Rhapsody of are awful garbage. But Luca is a truly exceptional musician, its a shame that neither he nor his band can write a song to save their lives.

One of the most true things I've read all day.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

I recall that thread (human666 is retarded) and I think it was Napero who said it. Coming from him, we just don't know.

:|

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 pm 

well I'm drunk again after trying to stay sober for at least a night (ONE night is literally all I'm trying to do now)- turns out that shit is hard when the entire fucking world seems to balance on your goddamn shoulders.

goddamn friend asks me to be honest about his thoughts on proposing to this fucking girl he's been dating for like barely five months (LONG FUCKING DISTANCE) and they see each other like for a fucking weekend a month and there's been all sorts of problems and I think both of them are just scared that they'll end up alone and drunk and miserable and sad like me. But, fuck 'em.

I wrote him this extremely lengthy letter and sent it to him - detailing with entirely reasonable and thoughtful insights and opinions on their situation, on what he should think about, about what he truly feels and she feels, asking is he's been honest with himself, with her - asking about what he thinks he means when he says "I love you" and naturally - because of my FUCKING HONESTY I get shit back. I get sadness and anger and hurt.

FUCK YOU ALL FINE RUIN YOUR FUCKING LIFE AND MOVE OUT HERE WITH SOME FUCKING GIRL YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING KNOW.

I feel like the entirety of my goddamn life got a hell of a lot more complicated after I moved to this shit-hole capital city of this fucking country.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 pm 

iAm wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Rhapsody of are awful garbage.

:nazi:
This phrase doesn't seem quite right, perhaps you meant to say "Rhapsody of our awful garbage?" Remember that "are" and "our" are two frequent homophones which commonly are mistaken for each other.

John_Sunlight wrote:

Either way it's a vile lie. Rhapsody are heroic metallers.

So is there no possibility that he just forgot to type "fire" after "of"? :P

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 pm 

Butterfly Sister Froggysuckle.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
well I'm drunk again after trying to stay sober for at least a night (ONE night is literally all I'm trying to do now)- turns out that shit is hard when the entire fucking world seems to balance on your goddamn shoulders.

goddamn friend asks me to be honest about his thoughts on proposing to this fucking girl he's been dating for like barely five months (LONG FUCKING DISTANCE) and they see each other like for a fucking weekend a month and there's been all sorts of problems and I think both of them are just scared that they'll end up alone and drunk and miserable and sad like me. But, fuck 'em.

I wrote him this extremely lengthy letter and sent it to him - detailing with entirely reasonable and thoughtful insights and opinions on their situation, on what he should think about, about what he truly feels and she feels, asking is he's been honest with himself, with her - asking about what he thinks he means when he says "I love you" and naturally - because of my FUCKING HONESTY I get shit back. I get sadness and anger and hurt.

FUCK YOU ALL FINE RUIN YOUR FUCKING LIFE AND MOVE OUT HERE WITH SOME FUCKING GIRL YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING KNOW.

I feel like the entirety of my goddamn life got a hell of a lot more complicated after I moved to this shit-hole capital city of this fucking country.

M-A: the Livejournal of metal.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 pm 

no one else to yell at really. it's depressing when you really think about it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 pm 

Frog should just do what I do! Approach all situations with absolutely zero fucks to give. You too can be immune when you've nothing to lose!
Hehe, foreskins.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 pm 

Crick wrote:
Frog should just do what I do! Approach all situations with absolutely zero fucks to give. You too can be immune when you've nothing to lose!

And fuck men.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

So I'm going to a wedding reception on Friday. There's an open bar for the first three hours.

:)

Obligatory Last FM Link

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Crick wrote:

And fuck men.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing any of that lately because I have no free time.

EDIT: Well, technically I'll be vacationing in Jamaica next week, but that's probably one of the last places in the world you wanna be gay.
Hehe, foreskins.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:06 am 

i just slipped on a puddle of cat piss in the hallway while was going to grab a beer on the fridge
fucking hell

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 am 

caspian wrote:
My week has been made complete by watching u_s get a huge bite from all the USPM nerds 8)

Hah! Well the funny part from where I'm standing is that I wasn't even trying to troll you guys; that's genuinely what this stuff reminded me of. And yes, I'm more than familiar with Rhapsody's sound. I never said Satan's Host "sounded like Rhapsody," I said they sounded like what Rhapsody might sound like if Rhapsody didn't write complete asswipe. It's as though Rhapsody woke up one day and said "Hey, we just realized that the direction we've taken over the last fifteen years is complete shite, let's try writing something that sounds fucking metal!", sold their keyboards and used the money to dissolve Christopher Lee's voiceover contract guarantees, then proceeded to try to not be gay for the first time in their careers.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:16 am 

You must have smoked some pretty strong stuff to come up with an scenario like that :lol:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:24 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
So I'm going to a wedding reception on Friday. There's an open bar for the first three hours.

:)

I went to a cousins wedding in DC once that had an open bar. Despite being like 18, because of the beard, the bartender gave no shits and didn't card me once pouring shot after shot of Jack Daniels.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 518  Next