Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 pm 

I completely fucked up at work today. I spent the morning weed-eating around a ton of condos while the other guys were manning the riding mowers. Sure enough, I hit a small rock with my trimming line and the motherfucker flung into someone's glass storm-door. I was taking proper precautions to avoid incidents like this when it happened: taking into account that the trimming line rotates counter-clockwise and angling myself so that all debris (including rocks) flies AWAY from the house. Well, the laws of physics decided to momentarily shut off just long enough to spoil my reputation with my new employer. The glass in the storm-door completely shattered, but of course not until the lady who lives in that particular house ran outside and asked what happened.

*sigh*

I want to quit this job but I've only been working here for just over a month. I just don't do well with monotonous types of work. I tend to mentally burn myself out working in overdrive my first couple weeks at a new job, then everything starts to go downhill. Always. I'm seriously considering taking all of my money in savings and just going back to school for electronic engineering or maybe something computer-related. It won't do anyone any good if I keep destroying shit every week.

I dunno. Have any of you ever gotten yourselves into a job that you felt was completely incompatible with your personality, and then quit? Are some people just not cut out for certain jobs- period? I seriously can't bring myself to "mental overdrive-mode" at work. Maybe I just need more sleep. Maybe I need to just do some drugs like Jonpo recommends. Maybe I'm an idiot for trying to force myself into a job that I absolutely despise.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm 

^The worst was onetime I had to work every day with a weedeater that always broke and ended up exploding.

Most hilariously bad band pic of all time? It's of Megatharian, who are on the archives. Just look at the two guys on the right. The dude in the Batman shirt looks surprisingly chill, though.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

bunch of lady killers right up there, dude in the hat looks like a fucking asshole

as with jobs, I worked at a Cici's Pizza for 30 minutes, some g-thug screamed "where yo pizza at" really fucking loud into my face so I threw a pizza on his, then walked to my car and drove away, I wasn't chased or beaten, most loudmouths never do shit when it comes to it

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm 

You should just quit and go back to school full time if you can afford too. I work a job that I despise more and more every day but it's the best job I'll ever get as an uneducated cretin which is why I'm now working on my associates degree as much as I can within my work schedule. I tell this to every person I can, if I could I would go back and kick myself in the sack as hard as possible for not going to college when I really had the chance. Working a job that you hate isn't a good way to live and you don't want to get stuck there.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

Varth wrote:
as with jobs, I worked at a Cici's Pizza for 30 minutes, some g-thug screamed "where yo pizza at" really fucking loud into my face so I threw a pizza on his, then walked to my car and drove away, I wasn't chased or beaten, most loudmouths never do shit when it comes to it

Something's telling me that didn't happen.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:07 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
You should just quit and go back to school full time if you can afford too. I work a job that I despise more and more every day but it's the best job I'll ever get as an uneducated cretin which is why I'm now working on my associates degree as much as I can within my work schedule. I tell this to every person I can, if I could I would go back and kick myself in the sack as hard as possible for not going to college when I really had the chance. Working a job that you hate isn't a good way to live and you don't want to get stuck there.

This man speaks the truth. It's pretty much the situation I was in. I just got my associates and am probably going back to school again in the fall. It took me a long time to get, compared to my peers. One of the biggest regrets I have was taking 4 years off of school, because it put me so far behind. If you can afford to go back to school, and if that desire is still in your heart, definitely do it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Varth wrote:

Something's telling me that didn't happen.

I'd like to think it happened. Some people just need it.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 pm 

Sunderland changed the name to Baptist. I liked it better and fell in love with the name when working on the new album.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 am 

So some guy hacked one of Westboro baptist church's pages - http://www.godhatesoklahoma.com/

Nice.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
So some guy hacked one of Westboro baptist church's pages - http://www.godhatesoklahoma.com/

Nice.

Haha, Stay Frosty!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I want to quit this job but I've only been working here for just over a month. I just don't do well with monotonous types of work. I tend to mentally burn myself out working in overdrive my first couple weeks at a new job, then everything starts to go downhill.

Your mistake was working overdrive. If you are involved in tedious manual labor of any kind, don't work in overdrive. Never. Not even for a second! Not even when the boss is watching! It's not worth it. Consider, these jobs generally have zero upward mobility, the most you can ever look forward to is doing the same thing or something slightly different for slightly more pay years down the line. So don't strain yourself. It is physically, mentally and economically not worth it. The bosses won't mind, they expect it. They are part of the same system too.

Find a cool, steady pace you can manage without strain, and if you need to be more productive for whatever reason, find ways to perform your tasks more efficiently or work on getting better organized. Don't exceed the comfortable pace. When you aren't straining yourself, it's much easier to let your mind wander, which in turn helps you beat the clock, which is the whole point, afterall.

This is my advice from 10 years of boring manual labor.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 am 

Besides which, people who work too hard at a job like that don't even get the nod when there is upward mobility. Why would they promote their most productive guy? The skills it takes to be a good assembly line worker (or whatever) aren't at all the same skills it takes to be a good assembly line supervisor. I've seen it before where guys who really REALLY wanted a promotion worked their asses off (as in, staying for hours of overtime they weren't even getting paid for) and I never once saw them get promoted. Honestly the managers just seemed uncomfortable with how hard these guys were working; I'm sure they'd already made the decision not to promote these guys based on other factors that hard work of that nature wouldn't change (intelligence, trustworthiness, how much they liked the guy, etc.).

Just do what you're told, meet expectations, and take SMALL amounts of initiative when it's something you'd almost certainly be told to do anyway if your bosses knew it had to be done. If you're not sure you're supposed to be doing it, ask your boss if you ought to. Every boss I've had has appreciated me asking them if I should be doing something extra (when it's reasonably within my job's duties). That's the best way I've found to get promoted within your workplace. Taking excessive initiative and doing way more than necessary is much less likely to help you.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I want to quit this job but I've only been working here for just over a month. I just don't do well with monotonous types of work. I tend to mentally burn myself out working in overdrive my first couple weeks at a new job, then everything starts to go downhill.

Your mistake was working overdrive. If you are involved in tedious manual labor of any kind, don't work in overdrive. Never. Not even for a second! Not even when the boss is watching! It's not worth it. Consider, these jobs generally have zero upward mobility, the most you can ever look forward to is doing the same thing or something slightly different for slightly more pay years down the line. So don't strain yourself. It is physically, mentally and economically not worth it. The bosses won't mind, they expect it. They are part of the same system too.

Find a cool, steady pace you can manage without strain, and if you need to be more productive for whatever reason, find ways to perform your tasks more efficiently or work on getting better organized. Don't exceed the comfortable pace. When you aren't straining yourself, it's much easier to let your mind wander, which in turn helps you beat the clock, which is the whole point, afterall.

This is my advice from 10 years of boring manual labor.

I really appreciate your respone. Seriously.

I always had the suspicion that everyone else on my crew was working harder than me, but maybe that's my real problem... maybe I was actually working as hard as humanly possible, led myself to believe that it wasn't hard enough, then just depressed the fuck out of myself. My boss is kind of an asshole which doesn't help. The business owner seems to be the stingy type. There are people that have been working at this company for over a year and are STILL making minimum wage. My crew leader is pushing a ridiculous work-load on all of us in hopes that he can get a raise in doing so. I've seen two kids get hired in and quit within a couple days since I started working here a month ago; about five of the more "veteran" employees have already quit this spring.

The thing is: I'm only 22 years old and I've quit about four jobs so far. I have a terrible work history. I'm at a point where I don't know if I'm being lazy or if I'm just the unlucky one to get the absolute worst jobs. I've always just applied for the jobs I knew nobody else would take because I knew I'd get hired in, eventually. I guess that's my first problem. I need to be more choosy about where I submit my applications. I dunno. Something obviously isn't right if I feel like literally shooting myself every day over a job. This might be the turning point where I tell my boss to fuck himself and start pursuing something I enjoy for once... even if it adds more damage to my employment history. I feel like I've reached the end of the line.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:46 am 

Varth wrote:
bunch of lady killers right up there, dude in the hat looks like a fucking asshole as with jobs, I worked at a Cici's Pizza for 30 minutes, some g-thug screamed "where yo pizza at" really fucking loud into my face so I threw a pizza on his, then walked to my car and drove away, I wasn't chased or beaten, most loudmouths never do shit when it comes to it
On his what?! Don't leave me hanging here.
I always had the suspicion that everyone else on my crew was working harder than me, but maybe that's my real problem... maybe I was actually working as hard as humanly possible, led myself to believe that it wasn't hard enough, then just depressed the fuck out of myself. My boss is kind of an asshole which doesn't help. The business owner seems to be the stingy type. There are people that have been working at this company for over a year and are STILL making minimum wage. My crew leader is pushing a ridiculous work-load on all of us in hopes that he can get a raise in doing so. I've seen two kids get hired in and quit within a couple days since I started working here a month ago; about five of the more "veteran" employees have already quit this spring. The thing is: I'm only 22 years old and I've quit about four jobs so far. I have a terrible work history. I'm at a point where I don't know if I'm being lazy or if I'm just the unlucky one to get the absolute worst jobs. I've always just applied for the jobs I knew nobody else would take because I knew I'd get hired in, eventually. I guess that's my first problem. I need to be more choosy about where I submit my applications. I dunno. Something obviously isn't right if I feel like literally shooting myself every day over a job. This might be the turning point where I tell my boss to fuck himself and start pursuing something I enjoy for once... even if it adds more damage to my employment history. I feel like I've reached the end of the line.
Don't beat yourself up over it. The job sounds like shit, you shouldn't hold yourself wholly responsible for your actions when there's mounting pressure and stress every way you turn. Tell them to ease off and work at your own pace until that glorious day comes where you ditch the bitch.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 am 

This might be the turning point where I tell my boss to fuck himself and start pursuing something I enjoy for once... even if it adds more damage to my employment history. I feel like I've reached the end of the line.

Never just tell your boss to go fuck himself, even if he deserves it, always quit in a respectable manor especially with a sordid work history like yours. You need all the good feedback you can get at this point in time. Just make up a bull shit excuse and say something to the effect of 'thank you for the opportunity' or whatever. It's very important to leave on good terms whenever possible.

Azmodes wrote:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 am 

...always quit in a respectable manor...

He's a skilled butler, and fed up with his work? No such thing should surely take place in a civilized, respectable manor!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:48 am 

If you work any harder than the minimum that is expected, that will be expected of you all the time. If you work for a faceless corporate culture, don't personally invest yourself in it. You won't get anything in return unless your boss has significant autonomy.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:00 am 

I've seen Cannibal Corpse live three times. Each time they did roughly the same set with maybe five or six of their twenty songs mixed up a bit. I just looked into their Decibel Tour setlist with Napalm Death and Immolation, and it's fucking crazy the amount of obscure/hardly played stuff they're doing: Addicted to Vaginal Skin, An Experiment in Homicide, Dormant Bodies Bursting, Dead Human Collection, Decency Defied, Disposal of the Body, and Edible Autopsy.

I may have to truck to Detroit next week and see them tear it up.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm 

Napero wrote:
...always quit in a respectable manor...

He's a skilled butler, and fed up with his work? No such thing should surely take place in a civilized, respectable manor!

I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not, either way, I'm a glorified delivery boy but I would never quit in such a manor that would make me look bad to potential future employers.

Azmodes wrote:

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

You're spelling manner wrong, you numpty fumpkin.
Hehe, foreskins.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not, either way, I'm a glorified delivery boy but I would never quit in such a manor that would make me look bad to potential future employers.

You're spelling manner wrong dude, that's what he was joking about. Manor is something completely different.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

Crick wrote:
You're spelling manner wrong, you numpty fumpkin.

Damn you beat me to it Crick!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm 

But if working in that manor makes you look bad to potential future employers, wouldn't quitting be the best thing you could do? My advice is that you leave that establishment to keep your reputation intact.

Edit: Goddamnit guys, way to prematurely let him in on the joke.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:40 pm 

Anyone going to the Metalfest Open Air in Germany???

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:00 pm 

Maybe I'm an idiot for trying to force myself into a job that I absolutely despise.

Confirmed. .. just kidding. Well, half kidding. No one other than the entirely desperate (or masochistic) should FORCE themselves into a job they despise. In the event you must stay, take the good advice provided. In the even you quit, take the good advice provided.

It may have been hyperbole on your part, but .. reached the end of the line at 22? If you literally feel like shooting yourself, you need to quit politely and quickly and spend some of your savings on a therapist, not school. however: Definitely go to school. Community college first. BUT YOU HAVE TO GET GOOD GRADES, DUDE, OR HIGHER EDUCATION WON'T WANT YOU. Do moderate amounts of low impact drugs and get more sleep. I understand the temptation to work with cool things as opposed to annoying, loud, and dangerous things. Go for the cool things. They tend to be more exciting, interesting, and help keep you from feeling like you're living in hopeless, suicidal, self-destructive vain.

When I was your age I couldn't hold down a job, either. It fucking sucked and was totally demoralizing. There are options; one of them is :brick: and I advise you try every one that doesn't involve facial brick prints and brain bruises before getting terribly upset. However, if your job makes you want to kill yourself, you're clearly in the wrong field.

Edit: Actually, I think you should see a therapist no matter what you do. Your last couple stories have been about how you're about to go off the deep end over comparatively average problems (lame job, lazy roommate, not much money). It looks to me like you're just basically having trouble coping for one reason or another, and could use some help. It could be that all this is new and you've never had to be self-sufficient, and that's fine; there are tools for that. It could be that you're inflating all this for a pity-party, and that's fine; there are tools for that. It could be that you legitimately do have trouble coping with real life, and that's fine; there are tools for that. Therapy, my good man. In the mean time, chill the hell down. Every day you go to work hating your job, the more your job becomes a source of hate. That means either quit, or change your attitude and work habit.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

gomorro wrote:
Anyone going to the Metalfest Open Air in Germany???

Not anymore, sorry. It was a neat Festival once, but nowadays it's just another cashgrab imo.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Addicted to Vaginal Skin, An Experiment in Homicide, Dormant Bodies Bursting, Dead Human Collection, Decency Defied, Disposal of the Body, and Edible Autopsy.

I may have to truck to Detroit next week and see them tear it up.

*drool*

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:19 pm 

Can someone please lock that poser bashing thread? The Korn fans are making themselves known.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Maybe I'm an idiot for trying to force myself into a job that I absolutely despise.

It could be that all this is new and you've never had to be self-sufficient, and that's fine; there are tools for that. It could be that you're inflating all this for a pity-party, and that's fine; there are tools for that. It could be that you legitimately do have trouble coping with real life, and that's fine; there are tools for that. Therapy, my good man. In the mean time, chill the hell down. Every day you go to work hating your job, the more your job becomes a source of hate. That means either quit, or change your attitude and work habit.

haha, I'm honestly just prone to ranting. I'm definitely not the kind of dude who would do anything stupid on impulse. As for the job: I basically quit today. I just found out through another co-worker that the business owner is trying to stiff the replacement cost of that door I broke onto me. The law makes it very clear that any damages caused by an employee to either an employer's property to anyone else's are not the responsibility of the employee. I might end up having to take the asshole to court over this. I decided to run like hell away from this job since it's likely I would have ended up breaking something way more expensive and would have had to pay for it. One of the guys I worked with is currently paying off over $500 for a mower he messed up on the job... again- he is not legally required to pay for the damages since it was not a deliberate act or "gross negligence".

EDIT: And I wasn't implying anything drastic with my "end of the line" comment. I just meant I'm totally burnt out from my current, boring lifestyle and I'm going to start putting my money in savings to good use. Who knows; I might just stuff some clothes in a backpack and join one of those groups that hike around the world.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm 

haha, I'm honestly just prone to ranting.

ah. Noted.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm 

Ahh thank you all for pointing out the fact that i am a very ignorant American when it comes to my own language. :lol:

Azmodes wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:15 pm 

Know worries, Erosion. Know worries.

Been listening to a bit of early Samael for the first time recently and kind of wondering what the fuss is about, when it does occur. Worship Him and Blood Ceremony are nice enough, but mostly what I hear in them is a whole lot of unfulfilled potential.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 pm 

Listen to Above. Amazing album and my favorite by the band.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

Subrick wrote:

I thought it was a safe and generic return to an heavier sound personally.

Samael's best is probably Ceremony of Opposites and I really like Passage, it's a groundbreaking album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I thought it was a safe and generic return to an heavier sound personally.

Samael's best is probably Ceremony of Opposites and I really like Passage, it's a groundbreaking album.

Passage was definitely something different for its time. I always dug that one. Eternal is pretty decent too, but it gets a little over the top at times with the synthy industrialisms.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm 

I was never into designer clothing brand stores like Hollister, Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. (not sure if Old Navy counts as well), but this just adds another reason why I don't like shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch.

By the way, this is the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO who who wants to exclude Fat Chicks and Ugly People from the stores:

Last edited by Metalfuckingrules on Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm 

Dude looks like a fish.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 pm 

He doesn't like ugly people and the obese? When did I become the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch?

Obligatory Last FM Link

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:42 pm 

Only a dozen or so people are going to get this joke, but MFR is the new Tom.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Only a dozen or so people are going to get this joke, but MFR is the new Tom.

I agree, but MFR still has some work cut out for him if he hopes to reach the lofty heights of Tomdom. :P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 518  Next