Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 am 

"Melissa" is 30 years old since yesterday. :metal:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:02 am 

Yep :nods: I guess you've already seen this then:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 am 

No, but that's pretty rad!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:26 am 

Listening today to celebrate. "Satan's Fall" still has some of my favorite riffs.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:28 am 

Seeing KMFDM tonight. Unbelievable alignment of events to see them on Halloween! I'm going dressed up as a metalhead.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:33 am 

I listened to Mercyful Fate yesterday hahahaha. I'm going to go hopefully score Omen's Battle Cry LP from the local record store today if it's still there, I finally have the money for it. I'll post a picture of it in the album purchases thread if I do.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 pm 

That intro solo to Melissa is still one of my favourite things ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Speaking of race and speaking of bullshit,

D3athCr0ak in this month's NSBM thread (now locked) wrote:
I don't have a problem with the remaining non whites living here until old age, so long as they do not breed anymore. If they breed there will be the penalty of deportation, this may sound mean or whatever but it's the most peaceful solution if we want to maintain true racial diversity.

My cousin is married to a half black woman, and I sense no threat to my race or anything. They're expecting a child next April too.

Don't worry, the idiot was banned. He was trying too hard to troll. Probably Falconsbane's protege or something.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm 

Wilytank, don't you think that's probably because you're a media-brainwashed liberal degenerate? You've just lost your Aryan Racial Pureness Instinct (tm).

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:52 pm 

What benefits does that shit entail anyway? Magic powers? Flight? Invisibility?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:56 pm 

Nah, but you are impervious to reason and able to perform incredible feats of cognitive dissonance.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:58 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Nah, but you are impervious to reason and able to perform incredible feats of cognitive dissonance.

In other words, I just screwed myself out of a respectable job at the Christian Coalition of America. Bummer.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 pm 

I am officially addicted to the rip it Stinger energy drink (the green one). It is like monster + red bull and for only $1! I don't care that I just had two kidney stones removed on the 20th. Bring on the paiiiiiiiiiiin!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:24 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Subrick wrote:
It's somewhat strange having been born in 1993 and now there are people much younger than I am beginning to populate metal boards.

I was born in '87... I've been on the internet longer than you've been alive!

You actually claim to have had an internet account of some sort in 1992 when you were 5 years old?

This is a story I want to hear.

I got an email address in 1990, although I could not log on earlier than 1991. I have not so far found anyone here with an earlier account, and internet at those times was no kiddie business.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:06 pm 

Breaking Bad/Snes fans should appreciate this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zgGd_7pTSI

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:32 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Breaking Bad/Snes fans should appreciate this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zgGd_7pTSI

If someone actually made an old-school Breaking Bad RPG I would absolutely play it.

In other news, it's now official: Rob Ford is a crackhead. Though I didn't really doubt it before, the police announced that they have the video showing the Mayor of Toronto smoking crack. Ford's response, 'I have no reason to resign'. Yeeeeahhhh, right. Obviously Canadian news media is leading with this story, so I figure Duffy and Harper co. owe Ford a debt of gratitude for redirecting attention from their debacle. "Sure I claimed ridiculous and ineligible expenses and the PM lied about knowing anything, but hey, at least we don't smoke crack!".

Canadian politics can be pretty dull sometimes so despite being pissed about the level of dysfunction, I must admit I am enjoying watching this clusterfuck.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:41 pm 

Rob Ford is hilarious, I can't wait to see how this plays out. Canadian political theater has been pretty entertaining (in a noo my tax dollars kind of way) lately. There's been all sorts of shit going down in Winnipeg, too.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 pm 

I'm not fond of dumping YouTube videos, but if any has ever watched wrestling, and even if you haven't, you should check out Botchamania. I literally lost my shit for a good ten minutes during the Vince McMahon double quad-tear sequence.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:34 pm 

My dad had a BBS called Excalibur BBS, which had online games such as Trade Wars and Land of Devastation. Several others as well. They were all text-based (though LoD had a graphical version).

I played LoD as a kid. I can't remember what year that was, it could be as far back as 1992 - when I was only five years old. Other games I played around that time included Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom - of course those are not online games, but I do remember a mod for Doom that replaced the Barons of Hell with Barney the Dinosaur that my dad downloaded. I remember using the chatroom in the BBS, but I think that was 1995/1996. I also tried to make a "sequel" to Land of Devastation by modifying pretty much everything in the game around 1996. Of course, around '95 and '96 is when I was first exposed to the World Wide Web. I remember browsing Jurassic Park's website at the time.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm 

I'm stuck between going to a massive house party teaming with attractive but vacuous people or staying in, smoking a bowl and watching Theatre of Blood. Goddamn these first world problems.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:32 pm 

You can always go to the house party and come back home later to smoke "a" bowl.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:26 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I'm stuck between going to a massive house party teaming with attractive but vacuous people or staying in, smoking a bowl and watching Theatre of Blood. Goddamn these first world problems.

Sounds like a bad idea. You never want stupid people on your team, especially if we're talkin' board games.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 am 

Does Twister count as a board game?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

Don't know. It depends.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:01 am 

Just spent my entire Halloween working until just now. Feels bad man.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:09 am 

Impregnating human women with your sea-brood doesn't count as work, Starmere.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:16 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
That intro solo to Melissa is still one of my favourite things ever.

:nods:

One of the best albums ever. Satan's Fall is the king of kings.

Obligatory Last FM Link

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:26 am 

Arizmenda - Within the Vacuum of Infinity, available on bandcamp

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:58 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
My dad had a BBS called Excalibur BBS, which had online games such as Trade Wars and Land of Devastation. Several others as well. They were all text-based (though LoD had a graphical version).

I played LoD as a kid. I can't remember what year that was, it could be as far back as 1992 - when I was only five years old. Other games I played around that time included Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom - of course those are not online games, but I do remember a mod for Doom that replaced the Barons of Hell with Barney the Dinosaur that my dad downloaded. I remember using the chatroom in the BBS, but I think that was 1995/1996. I also tried to make a "sequel" to Land of Devastation by modifying pretty much everything in the game around 1996. Of course, around '95 and '96 is when I was first exposed to the World Wide Web. I remember browsing Jurassic Park's website at the time.

I learned a few tricks with trade Wars 2002 and pretty much mastered that game/the competition. It coudl be a lot of fun, although as with most computer games once you get to a high level/point there really doesn't seem to be a lot of point in carrying on.

Got the Internet in early 1996, I think, through a BBS I subscribed to. Completely text-based of course, but then my internet experience still is that way, so it's about the same, only a lot slower now because of the extra picture and app crap you guys all want. :P

Yeah, that Rob Ford business is quite something. Also teh senate/Conservative Party scandal in Ottawa. THe thing is that Canadians never seem to like their politicians at all..it's almost as if we expect this sort of thing from them.

Ford is just hilarious though. I almost feel bad for him. He must feel there are vultures circling around him all the time. Perhaps it's no wonder he has a substance abuse problem? hahah

Oh, and I have a preference for DOn't Break the Oath and even teh first EP over Melissa, but the first half or so of that debut album is absolutely monumental, so it's not like I'm really going to complain about it.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 am 

My first web experience was 1998 playing some old ass multiplayer tank game on the now defunct Bonus.com called inventively: "Battlefield".
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am 

So I have been digging in that "Best Of Extravaganza" thread that was going a few months back, and amongst other things (what a brilliant thread it is, let me just say) I have listened to Sabbat (Jp) for the first time, and what a band they are! I think it was Wilytank who posted about them, and I have just been playing it over and over again. It's like a sped-up, even more fun Celtic Frost, and I find I like it so much more than early Bathory or Venom, who feel like the other two touchstones. They have a dauntingly huge discography though...what's the best way to progress with them, is everything this good?

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:36 am 

oh yeah, and I also rank Don't Break the Oath (and whisper it softly, Abigail) above Melissa. But maybe I should play it again...only one day late!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm 

Melissa and the Nuns Have No Fun EP are the best things King ever did, period. Don't Break the Oath and Abigail are both great (DBtO significantly more so than Abigail) but nothing can touch the majesty that are those first two releases. THE FUCKING RIFFS UUUAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:48 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
So I have been digging in that "Best Of Extravaganza" thread that was going a few months back, and amongst other things (what a brilliant thread it is, let me just say) I have listened to Sabbat (Jp) for the first time, and what a band they are! I think it was Wilytank who posted about them, and I have just been playing it over and over again. It's like a sped-up, even more fun Celtic Frost, and I find I like it so much more than early Bathory or Venom, who feel like the other two touchstones. They have a dauntingly huge discography though...what's the best way to progress with them, is everything this good?

As good as what, exactly? Not sure which material from teh band you started with, but yes, I enjoy all of their full lengths really, except I never got Karmagmassacre because honestly it felt kind of like a near copy of the absolutely great Satanasword to me.

THe 94/2000 period is I think when they released some of their best stuff. But they still had three great LPs before that and obviously a ridiculous number of 7s and so on. They have a lot of compilations out now and while they still don't contain everything the band has recorded for non-LP releases you can pretty much fill your Sabbat requirements by getting them.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:51 pm 

Speaking of anniversaries of legendary metal albums by artists with peculiar makeup, it seems "Pure Holocaust" is 20 years old today. :panda:

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Pippin_Took wrote:
...Sabbat (Jp) ... have a dauntingly huge discography though...what's the best way to progress with them, is everything this good?

As good as what, exactly? Not sure which material from teh band you started with, but yes, I enjoy all of their full lengths really, except I never got Karmagmassacre because honestly it felt kind of like a near copy of the absolutely great Satanasword to me.

THe 94/2000 period is I think when they released some of their best stuff. But they still had three great LPs before that and obviously a ridiculous number of 7s and so on. They have a lot of compilations out now and while they still don't contain everything the band has recorded for non-LP releases you can pretty much fill your Sabbat requirements by getting them.

So the tracklisting for the proposed best-of was:

Side A:
1. "The Melody of the Deathmask" - taken from The Dwelling

Side B:
1. "Bird of Ill Omen" - taken from Disembody
2. "Deathtemptation" - taken from Envenom
3. "Orochie" - taken from Karisma
4. "Demonic Serenade" - taken from Karmagmassacre
5. "Satan is Beautiful" - taken from Fetishism
6. "Northern Satanism" - taken from Sabbatrinity
7. "Kiss of Lilith" - taken from Satanasword
8. "Mion's Hill" - taken from the self titled debut EP
9. "Possessed the Room" - taken from the Seven Deadly Sins EP

...which covers a pretty broad spread of their material! I think the compilations you mention sound like a good next step for me. Thanks!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 pm 

Oh, that's the thread you were talking about...right, I see now.

The trio of Fetishism, Karisma and Satanasword are really special, with Karisma by far being their most Japanese-sounding release. The Dwelling was recorded in this period too but while I think it's brilliant I can't really listen to it much as it is a bit of an undertaking!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

Don't know. What's your position?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 pm 

Napero wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:

Don't know. What's your position?

I think there's a joke in here that I can't identify.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:59 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Oh, that's the thread you were talking about...right, I see now.

The trio of Fetishism, Karisma and Satanasword are really special, with Karisma by far being their most Japanese-sounding release. The Dwelling was recorded in this period too but while I think it's brilliant I can't really listen to it much as it is a bit of an undertaking!

Yeah, I've listened to the Dwelling only once through; the shorter tracks just worked better for me, but I'll persevere haha! "Most Japanese-sounding" sounds interesting. Orochie was pretty rad, had amazing vocals. Can't wait to get out of work now and get listening!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 518  Next