Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:32 pm 

So I have my first day as a radio show host tomorrow (1pm-2pm). Please tune in and stream online. There will be much in the way of metal, as well as other really cool stuff.
http://whcl.org/index_1.html
I was also wondering how many of you guys have done radio shows (college or otherwise).

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:40 pm 

What time zone are you in?

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 pm 

Silly me. United States Eastern.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:24 pm 

I'll be in class, will it be recorded?

Iron Maiden live in Rio, they're currently playing The Prisoner, tune up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcvj6X ... inp-lt-rbr

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I just read Erosion's location as Scumburg, IL. A part of me wants that to be real.

There's a town off of I-95 in Maryland between DC and Baltimore called Scaggsville. It sounds like a badlands ghost town in Borderlands and/or a place where 96% of the population is passed out in gutters with heroin needles sticking out of their arms at any given time.

I did guest spots on my friends' radio show in college a bunch of times, usually for their comedy skits. My school had an AM radio transmitter with a range of don't light a cigarette while listening to this radio show because there's no smoking allowed within 20 feet of the building.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 am 

Man, one of my buddies fell off a balcony last night and fractured his sternum pretty bad. :(

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 am 

Ugh, that must feel like hell.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Man, one of my buddies fell off a balcony last night and fractured his sternum pretty bad. :(

Wow, that must be a really, really awful injury. Hopefully he'll recover quickly.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 am 

He'll be fine in the end and released from the hospital in a few days, but man he must be hurting right now.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 am 

A guy I know tripped while slightly intoxicated during a party at the university, and actually managed to fall sternum first into a steel stake that held a rope to keep a tent up. He fractured it almost completely in half. Painful as hell, I heard.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:29 am 

dystopia4: wh - .. how does that happen?
Napero: I can't even process how intense the feeling of good fortune/horrible fail would be. And how impossible it would be to breathe for months. It's exhausting just imagining it.

.. I'd never looked until now. There are hundreds of pages of locked threads. Whenever I'd see a thread get the diving weights padlocked on, I figured it must gradually drift down to become the top turd on a sprawling underwater mountain. But it had always been abstract. It was a little like being in a submersible trundling through the bowels of a lake-sized outhouse.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:36 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
dystopia4: wh - .. how does that happen?

Tequila.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Serenades is just such an hilariously terrible album; I literally burst out laughing every time I hear it. It's true The Silent Enigma showed a marked improvement but I still can't understand how their early work could be considered legendary by anyone.

Legendary might be overmuch for Serenades, but your not understanding why people enjoy it might have something to do with a thing called taste. Have you heard of it? Yours seems kind of bad, by the way.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
The Silent Enigma is the only thing that's kept them in regular rotation for me. Restless... oblivion... FOREVER!

This gentleman right here gets it. The new Anathema sucks. Hard.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:11 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIh8urwF8wY

About 30 seconds in.

I've never been able to not hear the opening lyrics as "Another day unfolds, and still... I eat shiiiiit". There's no way I'm the only one. It doesn't sound like he's even trying to say "exist".

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:19 am 

LogiLink is related to Logitech, right? I'm thinking about getting a LogiLink USB hub because the USB hubs I had in a past were no-name ones and none of them ever worked, which annoyed the fuck out of me, so I'm thinking maybe a brand name product might perform better (read: at all). Has anyone used LogiLink or knows another reliable brand I could look into?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 am 

I have two no-name hubs and they both work fine. Maybe the problem is that your USB port doesn't have enough power to supply all the stuff you are connecting? In that case you need an additional power supply for the hub, no matter what brand. Look for hubs that come with a power adapter.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:48 am 

Had a chat with a fellow about becoming a pilot today. Definitely keen, just got to wait it out until April when I can apply. :)

Also wondering whether I should buy Behemoth tickets now, or just hope they have some left on the door...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am 

One of my no-name hubs is actively powered/comes with a power adapter. But it's such cheap shit it was literally half falling apart when I got it.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Had a chat with a fellow about becoming a pilot today

As soon as I read that I thought of this :lol:

Spoiler: show

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Had a chat with a fellow about becoming a pilot today. Definitely keen, just got to wait it out until April when I can apply. :)

Private Gomer Pilot.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:08 am 

HeWhoIsInTheWater wrote:
So I have my first day as a radio show host tomorrow (1pm-2pm). Please tune in and stream online. There will be much in the way of metal, as well as other really cool stuff.
http://whcl.org/index_1.html
I was also wondering how many of you guys have done radio shows (college or otherwise).

I did two shows in university on separate canvases. A lot of fun, especially teh one with teh shitty transmitter because we had a lot of freedom and could basically play whatever we wanted, and there weren't any ads. I did it for several years (although the show at the bigger campus only lasted about a year because of the shit timeslot; my friend and I basically had no choice but to back out), and it was a lot of fun; I'd gladly get into it again. Hope you enjoy yours. Sadly I doubt I'll be able to tune in much as I'm usually working at thea time.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 am 

The Silent Enigma sucks. It's like a bunch of people using the right ingredients for a meal while having no idea how to actually cook: the album has alright musicianship but in the end the songwriting on that album is absolutely mediocre.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 am 

Of the old Anathema stuff, the Pentecost III EP probably works best overall. Some really fantastic use of guitar feedback and eerie leads to build atmosphere there, and also one of their heaviest ever tunes in the form of "Memento Mori".

Serenades is a bit eccentric but in the end I have appreciation for it, faults and all. I enjoy the lyrics though White's vocals are very much an acquired taste, and the band sort of lumbers along awkwardly at times, but when they hit on something good it's generally very good.

the Silent Enigma I do not listen to much. I think the musicianship is terrific and the atmosphere is potent, but something's missing. I think the whole thing feels rushed, which was pretty much confirmed by the band not long after it was released. The lyrics were practically written on the mixing desk. And I'm sure some of the weirder songwriting decisions would have been questioned had they had more time to let the material simmer (to continue colin's cooking analogy)...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am 

I'm at Starbuck's GETTIN' MUH WERK ONN, and some jive turkey motherfucker decided it'd be the perfect time to stream or download a thing, therefore making the connection crap for the rest of us. I had some work I needed to send to a client, 800 KILOS of a file, and it took about two minutes to attach.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:08 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
the Silent Enigma I do not listen to much. I think the musicianship is terrific and the atmosphere is potent, but something's missing.

I do agree with this, but I think this problem extends to all of their material (that I've heard). The Silent Enigma just manages to get by with the raw, crushing misery it evokes when it's at its best. By no means a perfect album though, there's also plenty of filler I don't care for.

Just generally a "hit or miss" band, good bits here and there but never consistently interesting.

hots_towel wrote:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am 

Silent Enigma is by far my favourite release from Anathema. While I do agree that some songs are better than others ("A Dying Wish" and "Shroud of Frost" are just about perfect), I'd still easily give the album 90+. The atmosphere is amazing and as a whole the songwriting and guitarwork is strong. I do agree about Anathema being a hit or miss band. Most of their albums do have filler, and like I've said earlier, I don't like their later work at all.

Also, what's the consensus on the new Ruins of Beverast album? I mean it is Ruins of Beverast so of course it'll be good, but as a whole I think I'd put Unlock the Shrine and Foulest Semen above it. The atmosphere here is amazing, the guitar playing is strong, the drum tones are superb, but I feel like songwriting may be lacking a bit. I'd love for him to get as weird and nightmarish as Unlock the Shrine again, but I accept that this probably won't happen. But then again I've only listened to the album 2 or 3 times and my opinion is liable to change - it took at least 5 listens for Unlock the Shrine to really click with me, at first listen I was rather unimpressed actually.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm 

colin040 wrote:
The Silent Enigma sucks. It's like a bunch of people using the right ingredients for a meal while having no idea how to actually cook: the album has alright musicianship but in the end the songwriting on that album is absolutely mediocre.

That actually sounds exactly what I think of Meads of Aspohdel. When I checked them out I was like, 'oh cool, a black metal band with lots of different genre elements blended together well like sigh'. When sigh goes off and does something ridiculous like a reggae break or basically a blues song, it works because the sound is full and everyone in the band layers parts over each other with keen enough songwriting skills to make it feel like a natural transition.

With meads it's like your analogy but the band is making soup with a really boring base; tremendously tame black metal. The growls are apathetic, and the guitars kind of just drone around for the vaguely ethnic repetitive keyboard loops, both of these elements kind of just clash constantly. It's almost like low tier power metal with slightly exotic keyboards and sudden breaks of non-metal music. It's a fucking mess.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:25 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
colin040 wrote:

That actually sounds exactly what I think of Meads of Aspohdel. When I checked them out I was like, 'oh cool, a black metal band with lots of different genre elements blended together well like sigh'. When sigh goes off and does something ridiculous like a reggae break or basically a blues song, it works because the sound is full and everyone in the band layers parts over each other with keen enough songwriting skills to make it feel like a natural transition.

With meads it's like your analogy but the band is making soup with a really boring base; tremendously tame black metal. The growls are apathetic, and the guitars kind of just drone around for the vaguely ethnic repetitive keyboard loops, both of these elements kind of just clash constantly. It's almost like low tier power metal with slightly exotic keyboards and sudden breaks of non-metal music. It's a fucking mess.

Which Meads have you listened to? That's definitely true of their first three albums, but they really got their shit together on The Murder of Jesus the Jew and Sonderkommando. Great riffing, skillful integration of the experimental bits...it's almost like a whole different band.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

What's up with the rampant later Anathema hate? darkeningday is right in that their doom/death days are laughable. They're much, much better as a cleaner, more rock-ish band. Judgement is a masterpiece of feels.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

I can see why people like Sigh, but The Meads of Asphodel's last two albums are much more serious in intent, epic in scope and better from a songwriting point of view than anything I've heard from Sigh - which is most of their discography bar one or two albums.

dystopia4 wrote:
Also, what's the consensus on the new Ruins of Beverast album? I mean it is Ruins of Beverast so of course it'll be good, but as a whole I think I'd put Unlock the Shrine and Foulest Semen above it. The atmosphere here is amazing, the guitar playing is strong, the drum tones are superb, but I feel like songwriting may be lacking a bit. I'd love for him to get as weird and nightmarish as Unlock the Shrine again, but I accept that this probably won't happen. But then again I've only listened to the album 2 or 3 times and my opinion is liable to change - it took at least 5 listens for Unlock the Shrine to really click with me, at first listen I was rather unimpressed actually.

It's not perfect like Foulest Semen, and the first two albums are more interesting in how insanely creative and epic they are, but I really like Blood Vaults. It's got this really cool cyclical "ritual" feel. It's like an ancient occult rite put to music.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
What's up with the rampant later Anathema hate? darkeningday is right in that their doom/death days are laughable. They're much, much better as a cleaner, more rock-ish band. Judgement is a masterpiece of feels.

I've kind of got used to people hating different eras of their work, so I kinda try to stay away (though believe me it's hard as I admit to being a full-on fanboy of everything they've done and everything this band stands for). Although the thing that does manage to crack me up is when some people say they are "pop" these days or something along these lines (yes, some people do actually say that). Man, I can already imagine those 9-minute songs getting massive pop radio airplay.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 pm 

You're missing the point by a margin, TheLiberation. Nobody cares to what degree Anathema's music is suited for radio play. If they're criticised of being pop, it's probably because they sound like Coldplay, and it's a valid criticism even if their artistic intentions are more honest than it may come across as.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

I'm not saying this was said in this thread, just a random semi-quote I've actually heard which I think is quite related, not meant as a jab at anyone here. They might occasionally sound like Coldplay or U2 or whatever, but I don't see why that automatically counts as a bad thing, accessible rock can also be done really well. Songs like Dreaming Light or Untouchable Pt. 2 maybe are "poppy" to a certain extent, but if there's a world where music like this is the mainstream, I want a teleporter please.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

We're talking about a band that stopped being relevant 15 years ago.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

I'd like to borrow your relevance barometer, drone. I'd like to believe that a band that is able to sell out a venue in New York is still mildly relevant.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'd like to borrow your relevance barometer, drone. I'd like to believe that a band that is able to sell out a venue in New York is still mildly relevant.

:lol: No, it just means that their music is popular. I'm sure a Black Sabbath gig in New York would sell out pretty quickly, but that's not to say that their new album's relevant in any way.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

Tons of wuss rock bands sell tons of tickets to tons of wusses.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:11 pm 

Sure, but this can't hardly be compared to Sabbath who sells tickets to dudes who only know their first two albums and don't know who's Dio. Most people who went to see Anathema know they're not playing anything from their early albums. If you don't like wuss rock, you're a puss rook.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:38 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

I like the way you think.

Gardenian's Soulburner is a good ass record.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 518  Next