Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I don't get it. Was there supposed to be a pun somewhere?

Probably sounded better in his (stoned) head?

inhumanist wrote:
Anyways, I think the real question here is how many fedoras Diamhea owns.

Only one. And he hangs it off his granite hard contest-winner.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Wretched and self-deprecating dark humor is pretty much the only stand up I laugh at. I can't help it.

Do you enjoy Stephen Merchant's stand-up? I can't imagine anyone more wretched and self-deprecating than that dude. His show, Hello Ladies, is also pretty watchable. Nothing amazing but it's a good few notches above most American comedies (notable exceptions being GIRLS and the aforementioned Louie).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:56 pm 

I thought that name looked familiar. I've never seen his stand up, but I was a big fan of The Office (UK) probably more than most TV series I've seen. It was awkward and painful. Yes, it was very good. After that, though, Gervais just got on my nerves to the point where I won't watch him, but in that show he was basically perfect. Yeah, they're a great team. Thanks for reminding me about them. .. also, I found The Office (US) to be bastardized shit lacking all the original's hollow atmosphere and emotional suffocation, despite the efforts of Steve Carrell.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm 

Don't dismiss Gervais post-Office (no pun intended) until you watch the entirety of Extras. If it wasn't for Peep Show that would probably be my favorite series of all time. Brilliant in every way; just as painful as The Office but with far more to say.

Speaking of which, do you like Peep Show? Perhaps not as painful as a Gervais production... but almost. It's also about as good as television gets in my opinion and nicely proves that a show can be edgy and perverted as hell without actually being misogynistic or homophobic. (In fact, most of the women and gay characters on the show are much better people than the straight male leads.)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 pm 

As I've said before, years back I wrote Louis C.K. off as trying way too hard to be edgy and offensive. I remember cringing at that "faggots" bit even as I was starting to warm up to the guy; I think it's just sort of a holdover from his older "offensive as possible" era that was just totally out of place during his transition to newer, more nuanced material.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm 

This most recent one had the best and most consistent material I've heard from him. I'd strongly recommend starting with it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

darkeningday: I'd have a look at Extras again at some point. I know I started watching it too soon after The Office. Can't remember Peep Show, but I'll make a note of it and have a gander.

iamntbatman wrote:
As I've said before, years back I wrote Louis C.K. off as trying way too hard to be edgy and offensive. I remember cringing at that "faggots" bit even as I was starting to warm up to the guy; I think it's just sort of a holdover from his older "offensive as possible" era that was just totally out of place during his transition to newer, more nuanced material.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I first heard him I felt the same way. He didn't so much grow on me as I was actually forced to listen to him in my friend's car. Lo and behold I found him funny in places and the more I heard, the more I got on board. I actually found him less funny over all when I watched something or other on Netflix. That faggot thing didn't make me cringe so much as think, "it sounds like he's trying to convince me of this so he can make himself feel like less of a douche bag when he calls people faggot. You lose this one, Louis."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:39 pm 

Pretty much anything off of his last three specials is gold. The earlier stuff like that "faggot" bit isn't very good, but these days he's great.

Bought Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth the other day along with some Rush albums and the new Motorhead. Opinions on the DCD? I think it's really good so far - quite spacious, they really excel at expressing a lot without doing very much. It's already growing on me.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

It's 2am and I just heard to most hellish growls coming from the street. I think I'm about to get attacked by an angry chupacabra.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Bought Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth the other day .. It's already growing on me.

Kind of forgot about them, actually. More of the same, or have they changed somewhat?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

Well, this one's about 20 years old now. I haven't gotten to their newest one yet.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 pm 

Oh, I've seen loads of Louis C.K. material and I really enjoy his newer material. I liked his recent commentary on cell phones on Conan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR8E8wQhseA

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, this one's about 20 years old now. I haven't gotten to their newest one yet.

oh .. right. Got confused which you were talking about. I've always enjoyed them, but hardly ever listen to them anymore. It's interesting, though, that whenever I go back to them I like them fine. They should be cheesy, but .. they aren't. If I try to make them something majestic in my mind, though, that doesn't really work, either. I used to own The Serpent's Egg and Aion, and have half-listened to a smattering of others I never kept track of the titles for (so who knows). Aion is thusfar my favorite on the whole. Their style can be pretty cloying if I'm not in the right mood or try to listen to too much at a time, but nostalgia definitely plays a big role in my appreciation.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 pm 

So, I may be six years or more late to the party, but I just finished watching the third season of Battlestar Galactica. All I wanted to say was holy shit, it's amazing. No one spoil any of it please! :wink:

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
darkeningday: I'd have a look at Extras again at some point. I know I started watching it too soon after The Office. Can't remember Peep Show, but I'll make a note of it and have a gander.

Peep Show is superb, I highly recommend it. I don't think there's another show out there that does self-loathing quite so well. How it keeps you laughing in spite of the repeated disasters the protagonists wander into, I really don't know.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:12 am 

Went down to New Jersey to see Liege Lord and Attacker today. Orion and I did a 20+ minute interview with Matt from LL in which we covered tons of stuff about the band. While the sound quality at the venue was awful, it was a great show - my first proper NJ show and it left a good impression. Pretty good turnout for a Sunday matinee at a dive!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:15 am 

Yep, Peep Show is legitimately the funniest thing ever and I love it dearly.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:18 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Went down to New Jersey to see Liege Lord and Attacker today. Orion and I did a 20+ minute interview with Matt from LL in which we covered tons of stuff about the band. While the sound quality at the venue was awful, it was a great show - my first proper NJ show and it left a good impression. Pretty good turnout for a Sunday matinee at a dive!

Will you be posting the interview? I'd love to see it. Liege Lord are a great band.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 am 

The little I've seen of Peep Show is fantastic. I started watching it when I stumbled upon this video on youtube.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 am 

That kicks so much ass, good to know Liege Lord is back.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 am 

So, this Cleveland band wants me to fill in for their rhythm guitarist when he leaves to go off to college in a bout a month or two. Right now, I'm unemployed and stuck in a shitty apartment with a shitty roommate. I'm close to just paying off the rest of my half of the lease at the duplex I'm renting and living in my car for awhile. I have more than enough money to pay for a YMCA membership (for access to showers) and to feed myself... I'm already anticipating a bunch of "You're an idiot" responses, but I've honestly been waiting to get some stage experience since I was 12 years old. I dunno, guize, what's your opinion on these guys:
Spoiler: show

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 am 

Any of you Peep Show fans checked out Armstrong & Bain's *other* show, Fresh Meat? I'm not going to say it's better than their breakthrough Peep Show, but it's definitely not far behind either. It even features Robert Webb (Jeremy on Peep Show) in a recurring role. Also: Vod, performed by the unmatchable Zawe Ashton, plays the show's Super Hans, arguably to even greater effect.

Coincidentally enough, it's entering its third series tomorrow.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:25 am 

Quote:
Several posts about stand up comedians

:???: Am I in the right thread here?
Under_Starmere wrote:
It's just odd to me that there was a time when this sort of thing wasn't seen as awkward and borderline creepy:
Anyway.
Best part is the woman in the audience crying tears of joy. Truly heart-warming stuff.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Plus his diatribe on why we should describe effeminate men as "faggots" was so utterly misguided and childish it nearly made me quit watching any and everything to do with him altogether. Really embarrassing stuff.

When does he do that? All I can find is that it was used for annoying people and that he wouldn't call someone gay a faggot.

"People from Phoenix are Phoneticians." What's effeminate about that?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Bought Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth the other day along with some Rush albums and the new Motorhead. Opinions on the DCD? I think it's really good so far - quite spacious, they really excel at expressing a lot without doing very much. It's already growing on me.

Pretty much my least favourite DCD album (apart from Spritchaser), it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the grandiose sense of spaciousness of earlier, and much better works in their discography. Not really one I go back to, as there are better compositions in their repertoire. Have you heard many other DCD albums? The holy trinity for most fans (though it does differ for each one) is usually the impressive Serpent's Egg, Spleen And Ideal and my personal favourite Within The Realms Of A Dying Sun, all of which have massive amounts of superb emotional depth and power, with moments of deep, pained melancholy and sadness, without being trite. Aion is another well received album, though personally I don't think it's quite as strong as the above mentioned three, although it is still rather good.

Having said that, the new album is certainly strong, and I would put it up there equal with the aforementioned three albums.

My collection

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:30 am 

Wilytank wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Plus his diatribe on why we should describe effeminate men as "faggots" was so utterly misguided and childish it nearly made me quit watching any and everything to do with him altogether. Really embarrassing stuff.

When does he do that? All I can find is that it was used for annoying people and that he wouldn't call someone gay a faggot.

"People from Phoenix are Phoneticians." What's effeminate about that?

Yeah, are all of you really talking about this clip? Because this sounds completely innocuous to me. So far from "trying way too hard to be as edgy and offensive as possible".

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:57 am 

New I Shalt Become dropped a week or so ago, if anybody's interested. I like it - the cascading symphonic touch is very odd and the low guitar presence reminds me of Animus.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 am 

And still they're at it. In fact how many elections have been rigged? I remember in the news three or four years ago about postal votes being abused - and that was a general election (UK)

Last edited by mindshadow on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 am 

mindshadow, I don't want to be rude about this, but there's a message here that seems to be incapable of penetrating your powerful mental e-armour. You seem to be serious about your message, whaever it may be, but frankly, no one here gives a crap about your random links about immigration and election rigging and whatever. That usually happens to messages by people who are, essentially, alarmists about completely random things without any logic whatsoever, and even less suggestions on how to solve the alleged problems. Your point is lost to us all, and I'm not sure it even exists. It's just white noise, ignored by everybody, and already de facto spam.

Reconsider your posts several times before posting them, please. Then consider the plight of a Pakistani family in Coventry when their Curry Palace gets raided by malicious health inspectors with an agenda, while several family members lie in bed ridden by a malicious rotting nose disease brought by the neighboring Azeri immigrants who circumvented the quarantine by bribing a customs official of questionable central African ancestry. Then consider the daffodil. Then reconsider posting. After that, consider the plight of a Polish plumber in Buttminster county, willing to marry his transgender Special Other from a family of Jamaican Zoroastrians, hindered by the cultural barrier and the fact that officials who call the shots in these matters are actually led by an ex-Australian Labour MP with a conviction on steroid smuggling, leading to unfair tax rulings and lack of governmental funds for his medically necessary circumcision. Then consider the mallard duck, and proceed to reconsider posting at all. Then consider the fact that unless Graham W from Gasworth, who needs governmental medicine to remove the swastika tattoo from his forehead, lest the competing IMMIGRANTS will completely crush him in the race for a job as a scrubber in the local morgue, funded by the corrupted joint venture of the Anglican church and the Big Money investors who are only after the European Union subsidiaries meant for the bicycle training wheel factories in Brighton, so that their R&D departments could find ways to help retards stay upright. Then consider the idea that any immigrants should pay for the physical pain they cause the police and the neighborhood watch when they maul the fists of the locals with their noses. Then forget posting, and go and buy a pair of military booths and shave your head, all in the memory of the grannies that will die of old age, without any support from the locals who rather buy dreamcatchers made in sweatshops in Uzbekistan from the corner store owned by a cannabis hobbyist who immigrated from Absurdistan to get government money for his fake Monopoly money pyramid scheme. The national nature reserve forests will rot in weeks, because the rigging they need to butcher the elections has been tied too tightly around the trunks, and the kids will never get any education or governmental support for their skeptical climate change research. It's an outrage! They will NEVER pay taxes. NEVER! Just like in the Victorian era, when the children of the labourers were forced to catch rats in the recycling glass bins, and kill them by putting the rodents on their own foreheads and whacking them with an (imported) red brick paid for by governmental money, which, of course, is stolen from taxpayers and was supposed to go to help sheep farmers in Wales develop their trade to keep the UK mutton competitive in the face of the factory-made crap from New Zealand.

If you get my drift. I can post links if you want.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:58 am 

Napero wrote:

Reconsider your posts several times before posting them, please

No.

All I post is to show up how people's democracy is fast being eroded here by inside influences and from outside.

I've tried on numerous occasions to get through to you and a few others, posting links to back up my claims, and still you come up with utter tripe like your above post, your a suppressor of the truth sir.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:08 am 

You do understand that you're an equivalent of an unwashed bearded conspiracy preacher yelling at passers-by in a street corner, don't you? A message that gets convoluted and confused beyond recognition before it reaches your keyboard is not a message that gets through to anyone. It's white noise. Also, the less than 10% of the people here who actually care for the situation in the UK have not shown much support for your "cause", either, and the rest could hardly care less even if your message had some sensible content.

I'm not suppressing any truths. I'm asking for some measure of token logic in your postings. Because, honestly, and without any malice, it makes no fucking sense to most of us, especially since it mostly consists of links to UK tabloids, with no explanation or context whatsoever. It's spam, and makes even less sense than those 23 emails I get daily for a walk-in bathtub.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:42 am 

I honestly don't know how to make my posts any clearer. I wouldn't have posted so many political references if it wasn't for some of the past name calling or insinuations directed at me (and peoples insistance on rubbishing the mail but not the other media providers, namely the bbc who take money from the EU (they're supposed to be always impartial, but have turned into a propaganda machine)

We're in a very poor state of affairs here Napero, and ultimately if it's not checked soon I, and many others, believe it will be curtains for the country we once knew and grew up in - it's becoming unrecognisable.

It fills me with sadness that you and a few others seem to think this is all about picking on immigrants, I suspect it's because it's easier to label me as a bigot or worse. britain needs immigrants, our NHS runs mostly on their contribution, but (I thought my earlier post addressed this) one party in particular has used mass immigration as a weapon against us to try and keep them in power for many generations. UK is a small island and unless this is checked now there will be huge repercussions for all of us later on - forget different cultures and people gravitating to their own areas - there are simply too many people competing for jobs/school places and housing to name a few.

The main parties here have one thing in common, they're all pro EU. People want a vote, we expect a vote on our future We were never consulted or realised what being a member state entailed, and simply begrudge having our laws made in Brussels and are constantly belittled as children by many politicians and the bbc.

My friend who I often baby sit for is Malaysian, many I have worked/visited their homes were Philipino, and I often prefferred their company to my British collegues. So to sudgest this is only about immigration is to me 1/ offensive and 2/ down right false, and your focusing on it is robbing you of the ability to see the big picture of what's happening here, which will ultimately become the norm for the whole of Europe - hence my posts to warn everyone to take note of what is happening on the world/European stage today.

Last edited by mindshadow on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:43 am 

Speaking of suppressing the truth:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o ... an-snowden

Not only is his use of the word 'social responsibility' an outright lie (as in truth, he refers to the act of censoring information that might prove damaging to the government's credibility), it's also completely orwellian to use that term in a context where the damages he refers to as being caused by free press reporting these things chiefly means threat to his own power. He calls for censorship to prevent his status and power from faltering, and has the guts to call that 'social responsibility'.

This is far more indicative of 'erosion of democracy' than the odd murder.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 am 

A few politicians here should be in jail Ilwhyan.

Your post is one of the reasons I put my location as Airstrip One. Please google Airstrip One and read about the book it's taken from.

(^^ Suggest - not sudgest :ugh: )

Last edited by mindshadow on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am 

Quote:
EU socialist state

Uhm... did I oversleep the revolution?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 am 

We're still talking about immigration/race issues in here?

I'm holding in a fart. Damn coffee making me shit my pants!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am 

I hope for your sake you don't actually shit your pants every time you fart :P

Ilwhyan wrote:
This is far more indicative of 'erosion of democracy' than the odd murder.

Agreed. It's thoroughly disturbing. I have to admit that I also find it disturbing how little people in general seem to care about gross invasions of their privacy, particularly online.

Last edited by Gypaetus on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mindshadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am 

Immigration/race issues? For me it's more about betrayal from those who are supposed to create a fair society for all.

Last edited by mindshadow on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 am 

http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Cookie_Clicker_Wiki

I see a lot of ideas for new buildings here...but think about it. So far, there has been no new building that did not become the most productive building. So...what's bigger that an antimatter condener? Assuming that Portal creates universe, Time Machine uses the space time continum, and Condener destroys the universe...what is more powerful than destroying the universe? I think that ten is a nice even number, and I think there will be no more new buildings

<-- fascinating comment

and let us never forget
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

I blame the BBC.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am 

caspian wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

I wonder if this can be resolved using random tangents.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am 

I'm just relieved that doughnuts are easily combable.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 518  Next