Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Huh, so Atheist's Jupiter is pretty badass. I feel bad for missing it these last few years.

If you can get through the loud production, then yeah, it's not too bad at all. It's a little short, so hopefully they can add another song or two for their next album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:28 am 

I like how short this is. It goes down nice and easy like a good shot. Just a blazing 32-minute exercise of spastic death/thrash metal. Pretty damn cool.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 am 

I'd like to hear that cover of YYZ they apparently recorded for Jupiter but never released.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I like how short this is. It goes down nice and easy like a good shot. Just a blazing 32-minute exercise of spastic death/thrash metal. Pretty damn cool.

I still feel it would've benefited from an extra song, but it's still good at 32 minutes. I think their early albums were about the same length, too, from memory.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Huh, so Atheist's Jupiter is pretty badass. I feel bad for missing it these last few years.

If you can get through the loud production, then yeah, it's not too bad at all. It's a little short, so hopefully they can add another song or two for their next album.

I don't know how bad the production on Jupiter is, but Elements has a really bad sounding production job, I thought there was an manufacturing error with my cd at first but it just sounds that way, I don't know if its clipping from over compression or just some other problem but either way, awful sounding production job.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:25 am 

I ate a huge plateful of mushrooms I found in the forest last night. I simply fried them in butter and gluttoned up around midnight. I have a feeling I won't need to eat anything today...

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 am 

The souls of the banned appear as mushrooms in the forests of Finland to be consumed by Napero once and for all.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

Has anyone else seen that stupid petition for having GWAR play the half time show for the Superbowl in 2015? Do people really care about GWAR that much? Would anyone actually want to have to listen to GWAR? Kind of irritating to see everywhere.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm 

I went onto the "rouge[sic] mod" thread expecting to find something about a mod for a game or something :lol: why do so many people get rouge and rogue mixed up so often? it annoys me so much but one thing that annoys me more than any is the phrase "I could care less" oh my god anytime I see it I go nuts. Mostly because it's generally accepted by most people and you'll even see it in articles or in places where you'd expect to find professional writing. Its "I couldn't care less" you fucking gonks :grr:

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:25 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
I don't know how bad the production on Jupiter is, but Elements has a really bad sounding production job, I thought there was an manufacturing error with my cd at first but it just sounds that way, I don't know if its clipping from over compression or just some other problem but either way, awful sounding production job.

Geez so it's not just me? I could've sworn all the drums on Elements were clipping nonstop. I like the album a lot but that production is uh... yeah.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:28 pm 

Today is the kind of day where I just engulf myself in the fuzzed out distortion of Electric Wizard. :np:

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Has anyone else seen that stupid petition for having GWAR play the half time show for the Superbowl in 2015? Do people really care about GWAR that much? Would anyone actually want to have to listen to GWAR? Kind of irritating to see everywhere.

I don't see how anybody could be stupid enough to believe they would actually ever allow it. The half time show for the Superbowl is just an excuse to get the biggest and most well music names they know to attract more people who may not be football fans. Why would they pick a band that really isn't all that well viewed in the metal world, let alone public opinion?

Its like when they tried to get Maiden to play during the Olympics a couple years back. It isn't going to happen, despite what one may want.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm 

iAm wrote:
The souls of the banned appear as mushrooms in the forests of Finland to be consumed by Napero once and for all.

The banned turn into these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis

Damn tasty, and the season is just starting. Anyone living in suitable areas in Europe or North America is hereby told to get off the computer and go hunting for these. Yummy as hell, guaranteed.

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:44 pm 

Napero wrote:
iAm wrote:

The banned turn into these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis

Damn tasty, and the season is just starting. Anyone living in suitable areas in Europe or North America is hereby told to get off the computer and go hunting for these. Yummy as hell, guaranteed.

Coincidentally, our neighbor brought us a bucket of those mushrooms today.

Now the only thing left is to decide how to cook them.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

Fry them quickly, add onions and sautee them, add a few dl of white wine. Spice with sea salt and ground pepper. Boil off the alcohol, add one of those funny herb bullion thingies, and let boil for a few minutes. Then add Koskenlaskija cheese in chunks, stir until they melt. Add a carton of cream, and flour in cold water to get the consistency to your liking. Then throw in some chopped parsley and enjoy with toasted bread.

Awesome stuff when it goes right.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:54 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
one thing that annoys me more than any is the phrase "I could care less" oh my god anytime I see it I go nuts. Mostly because it's generally accepted by most people and you'll even see it in articles or in places where you'd expect to find professional writing. Its "I couldn't care less" you fucking gonks :grr:

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Not only is it grammatically incorrect but you just sound so fucking dumb when you say it. Learn how to talk people.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
one thing that annoys me more than any is the phrase "I could care less" oh my god anytime I see it I go nuts. Mostly because it's generally accepted by most people and you'll even see it in articles or in places where you'd expect to find professional writing. Its "I couldn't care less" you fucking gonks :grr:

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Not only is it grammatically incorrect but you just sound so fucking dumb when you say it. Learn how to talk people.

I think most people who use that phrase really could care less about how you feel about their use of it.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm 

Good man yerself, it's ridiculous. You could care loads about something, like be incredibly passionate and "you could care less" expressing absolute disdain for something to the point of vitriolic hatred is when "you couldn't care less" get it right people...

AppleQueso wrote:
I think most people who use that phrase really could care less about how you feel about their use of it.

I couldn't care less about those people ;)

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

Ah, I remember the first time I had to use that sentence as a non native english speaker. I had to think twice before I decided to use "couldn't". Another classic: "I didn't do nothing."

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:02 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Ah, I remember the first time I had to use that sentence as a non native english speaker. I had to think twice before I decided to use "couldn't". Another classic: "I didn't do nothing."

In your case it's easily forgivable though, although in saying that I find most non native English speakers to show an incredibly proficiency with the language. "I didn't do nothing" is not one that gets on my nerves though :lol: you'd be surprised how terrible most native speakers are :-D

Ireland I think is the only country in the world where if you say "I will yeah" it means no :lol: depends on the tone it's said though so that's usually the giveaway, still very strange though ;)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13 pm 

it annoys me so much but one thing that annoys me more than any is the phrase "I could care less" oh my god anytime I see it I go nuts. Mostly because it's generally accepted by most people and you'll even see it in articles or in places where you'd expect to find professional writing. Its "I couldn't care less" you fucking gonks :grr:

David Mitchell on this very subject.

I'd say "hold DOWN the fort" is even more annoying to me than "could care less."

EDIT: failsafeman's employment of this idiom in the sticky on the top of this page bugs me to no end. :lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

"I will yeah" sounds like the kind of thing a Irishman would say before punching you in the mouth. I kinda like it though, and I don't think it's that strange when someone says it in a sarcastic or angry tone. We dutchmen have some similar phrases like "ja hoor" and "natuurlijk". Normally these phrases are used in a postive setting. "ja hoor' means something like "yeah sure" and "natuurlijk" means "ofcourse" Using them in a negative setting makes you sound like a annoying smart ass in my opinion. Especially because the negative versions are mostly used in very obvious cases.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:30 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
"I will yeah" sounds like the kind of thing a Irishman would say before punching you in the mouth. I kinda like it though, and I don't think it's that strange when someone says it in a sarcastic or angry tone. We dutchmen have some similar phrases like "ja hoor" and "natuurlijk". Normally these phrases are used in a postive setting. "ja hoor' means something like "yeah sure" and "natuurlijk" means "ofcourse" Using them in a negative setting makes you sound like a annoying smart ass in my opinion. Especially because the negative versions are mostly used in very obvious cases.

I suppose that Irishman is drunk when he punches you huh? then he stops to do some hail Mary's and after that he shouts obscenities about the British? you stereotyping bastard!!! I always knew you were a racist, I knew it :lol:

Gotta love cultural language differences, "ja hoor" sounds like something we say here in Ireland as well, phonetically that is. "Ya hoor" just an innocent way of saying "you whore" calling someone a "hoor" is not terrible though, calling someone a whore is :lol:

On a completely unrelated note, I just found a full tub of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie in the freezer that I didn't know I had and it's after making my night :-D

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
David Mitchell on this very subject.

I'd say "hold DOWN the fort" is even more annoying to me than "could care less."

EDIT: failsafeman's employment of this idiom in the sticky on the top of this page bugs me to no end. :lol:

David Mitchell is a man after my own heart, his rants are absolutely legendary. No one rants quite like him.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:39 pm 

It would actually be a lot more offensive if you scrap the drinking and the swearing, because then I would be implying that Irish people are inherently horrible. :wink: Anyway, I'm already amused about the fact that you guys have a innocent way of saying "whore" to someone. :-P We Dutch are far to blunt for that. If we say whore, we mean whore. (nothing against whores)

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:52 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
It would actually be a lot more offensive if you scrap the drinking and the swearing, because then I would be implying that Irish people are inherently horrible. :wink: Anyway, I'm already amused about the fact that you guys have a innocent way of saying "whore" to someone. :-P We Dutch are far to blunt for that. If we say whore, we mean whore. (nothing against whores)

If anything the Irish are inherently lovable, we can do no wrong. "Oh did I kick pregnant woman last night? ahh sher I had a bit too much sauce and I thought it'd be a great bit of craic to do that" can you imagine an Irishman saying that and you thinking "Aww he's a lovable ole scamp" then rubbing his head and giving a few coins for a pint of Guinness and watching him skip off into the distance. Bet you could :-D

As for the "hoor" thing it doesn't really mean whore as such it just means well..... hoor, a hoor is a hoor and if you were Irish you'd know a hoor when you saw one. The hypothetical pregnant woman kicking Irishman I just described would be a cute hoor for doing that.

Also as for saying ye're too blunt, does that mean ye've had too many blunts and are so stoned ye can't remember what whore means? ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 pm 

No one says "whore" quite like Frank Reynolds.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:05 pm 

I say it like that :-D

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 pm 

I know I'm breaking character with this announcement, SadisticGratification, but I have never smoked a blunt in my entire life. I did however once produce some exquisite marijuana infused croissants.

EDIT Someone please write a positive review for the new Satyricon. The 0% rating is pissing me off. :grr:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:52 pm 

So I've been humming and whistling this tune for a couple months now and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how or where I picked it up only that is was oddly familiar so I eventually put it out of my mind and kept on humming. Then today like a bolt of lightening it hit me - it's the song that plays in the background of the dwarf miner's secret mythril forge in Shinning Force II. And that ends a completely pointless and useless excerpt into my day.

This story brought a genuine smile to my face. Because Shining Force <3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

Any of you guys seen the music video for The Devil Put Dinousaurs Here's titletrack?

It's pretty out there. And ridiculous. And a tad disturbing.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 pm 

The kid's expression after that guy dry humps the disembodied rabbit head is priceless.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
EDIT Someone please write a positive review for the new Satyricon. The 0% rating is pissing me off. :grr:

It ain't coming from me. From what I've listened to, this album is really mediocre.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

Do it yourself, Henk, your English is good enough, no?

I'm interviewing Neige tomorrow at the Anathema & Alcest gig, if he's too shy I'll pinch his ass!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:15 pm 

Just ask him why in heaven's name he did that dreadful appearance on the Deafheaven album. It's absolutely terrible.

I'm still in the process of writing a review in Dutch for Satyricon, which might be quite positive. I was very skeptical the 3 times I listened to it, but I think the album has quite a few redeeming factors.

Last edited by crises79 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 pm 

My English is good enough, however my review writing skills are not. :-P I have thought about writing reviews, maybe I should give it a go. It won't be this album though, I haven't listened to it enough to form a coherent opinion about it. All I know is that it certainly doesn't deserve a 0% rating.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm 

Well, mediocre spells about 50% for me. Not 0%. 0% should be reserved for bedroom black metal "artists" attempting to rewrite the "Transylvanian Hunger" for the 97890th time but ending up unwittingly covering Super Mario Bros' soundtrack in the worst way possible.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm 

I just listened to some promo song from the new Satyricon, "Our World, It Rumbles Tonight". I'm not really terribly familiar with any of the band's recent output, but apart from some sort of clunky transitions (and a stupid title), the song had some genuinely interesting parts and generally was much more worthwhile than their boring crap from a few years back ("Black Crow on a Tombstone"). Still wouldn't go out of my way to listen to more of it, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

His review had a pretty condescending and obnoxious tone, but I can totally see a modern Satyricon album deserving 0% after The Age of Nero, personally. :p

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm interviewing Neige tomorrow at the Anathema & Alcest gig, if he's too shy I'll pinch his ass!

Sounds hot. Take pictures if you do!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 518  Next