Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Chavaluria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

So, a small (or big) has been collecting vinyls since ye olde times or recently.

But I have doubts about this topic:

Which is the difference between vinyls?

We got the colourful ones, 180 Grams, black vinyls, clear vinyls, etc.

Which is the difference between them? Is a difference in audio quiality? Which proves to be the best in this matter?

All the info is well received.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm 

Color has nothing to do with the way a vinyl sounds. Your best bet however is to just google for the info. You'll get directed to professional sites that will provide you with better info than here.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 am 

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Chavaluria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:

TIL.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 am 

Chavaluria, crop you sig to 6 lines, tops. Half a page is butt-ugly and definitely overkill.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm 

You may check this page on wikipedia for more information.

AFAIK, regular vinyl (be it black, colored or splatter) have a better sound than picture disks.
Also having 100% virgin vinyl is of better quality than the ones using recycled vinyl.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

Slightly off topic here but I just came into possession of a used record player recently and it's stopped working correctly. The tape player and radio functions still work so I know it's not a wiring issue but everytime I put the needle to wax I get nothing but a low static. Could it be an issue with the needle and if so is that an easy fix? Any insight would be appreciated, I'm shamefully unfamiliar with these.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm 

It all depends. Is that an all-in-one system? Or is all of it separate?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:45 pm 

The speakers are separate. It's similar to this setup
Spoiler: show

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:56 pm 

So from what I'm understanding you have an all in one except for the speakers. I'm no expert, so I don't know what exactly the problem is. It could be the needle however. It is an easy fix (you can get a new cartridge, which is the plastic head thing that houses the needle). Your best bet right now is to go on a forum that specializes in stuff like this. Good luck.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

Pfft... We all know that the Plural of Vinyl is "Vynils". Off with this uppity book-learning! Ignorant Elitist!

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm 

Let's settle this:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the term "vinyls", okay? I don't say it because it sounds weird to me (seems like its use is more common in GB than the US), but that doesn't make it "wrong", particularly in an informal setting (i.e., on a public forum).

Vinyl is a material. There are only "things" made of it. You wouldn't say "golds" to refer to the raw material, but "golds" has surely been pluralized to refer to objects made of the element.

I admit, I can't think of a specific example, but that's because it's most likely used as informal shorthand for people "in the know" discussiong a variety of things... But anyone in a discussion about records/formats is aware that "vinyls" is informal shorthand for "vinyl records". It might "sound weird", but it's not more or less inaccurate in conversation than just saying "vinyl" as a plural.

And shellac (the substance) is just "shellac"... but the records made from it are called "shellacs" by almost everyone... It's a lot faster than saying "Shellac records", and it's understood by everyone to mean the same thing.

The only time the "s" would be out of the question is when referring to the material that a collection consists of: "My vinyl/shellac [record] collection".
You could say "My collection of vinyls/shellacs" and mean "vinyl/shellac records", though... Means exactly the same thing to anyone who's content to have a discussion, as opposed to being distracted by their own nit-picking.

The English language is like putty. Mold it. MOLD IT, FUCKERS!!!
This is a public forum, not a university. Academia's rules mean basically fuck-all in the disgusting, dirty shithole known as "the real world", which is full of stupid, uneducated people like myself. ;)

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

I propose that we extend this thread's purpose to include all activities and ideas regarding or related to vinyl. Collecting vinyl, vinyl players, vinyl aesthetics, analog to digital conversion, considerations of analog sound in general, etc. Who's with me?!!

Chavaluria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
I propose that we extend this thread's purpose to include all activities and ideas regarding or related to vinyl. Collecting vinyl, vinyl players, vinyl aesthetics, analog to digital conversion, considerations of analog sound in general, etc. Who's with me?!!

Sure, why not?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Let's settle this:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the term "vinyls", okay? I don't say it because it sounds weird to me (seems like its use is more common in GB than the US), but that doesn't make it "wrong", particularly in an informal setting (i.e., on a public forum).

Vinyl is a material. There are only "things" made of it. You wouldn't say "golds" to refer to the raw material, but "golds" has surely been pluralized to refer to objects made of the element.

I admit, I can't think of a specific example, but that's because it's most likely used as informal shorthand for people "in the know" discussiong a variety of things... But anyone in a discussion about records/formats is aware that "vinyls" is informal shorthand for "vinyl records". It might "sound weird", but it's not more or less inaccurate in conversation than just saying "vinyl" as a plural.

And shellac (the substance) is just "shellac"... but the records made from it are called "shellacs" by almost everyone... It's a lot faster than saying "Shellac records", and it's understood by everyone to mean the same thing.

The only time the "s" would be out of the question is when referring to the material that a collection consists of: "My vinyl/shellac [record] collection".
You could say "My collection of vinyls/shellacs" and mean "vinyl/shellac records", though... Means exactly the same thing to anyone who's content to have a discussion, as opposed to being distracted by their own nit-picking.

The English language is like putty. Mold it. MOLD IT, FUCKERS!!!
This is a public forum, not a university. Academia's rules mean basically fuck-all in the disgusting, dirty shithole known as "the real world", which is full of stupid, uneducated people like myself. ;)

Do you say "sheeps"? "Aircrafts"? "Deers"? "Cannons"? "Mooses"? "Swines"? It's not an academic rule, it's a "can I speak the queens english" rule. Additionally, it's more gramatically correct to "I bought an L.P" than to say "I bought a vinyl". A vinyl what? It sounds wierd because its wrong.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 pm 

the queen = professional nit-picker.

do you see my point here?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm 

the grammar-nazi is driving the pedant-panzer :P

JAGEagent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 pm 

i have some vinyl, maybe 100 records and about 10 singles and E.P.s. I rarely listen to them or even the hifi though, because I'm rarely at the house were I keep it and using the computer with speakers or headphones, or my phone withe earphones or headphones is often much easier. The sound quality is better with the hifi (cost about $800, bit less maybe) but not amazing or anything. Not natural sounding at all or any real good compared to some £20000 systems I've heard at friend's places. I don't want to get into being an audiophile because frankly I don't see myself every wanting to prioritize that amount of cash on it. The only plus side would be that it wouldn't be as bad a use of money as on something like a car, but eh, still. I could buy a house in a really bad neighbourhood in the UK for that much money.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm 

vinyl/s is a cool word, and how many 'v' words beyond 'very' do you get to use on a day to day basis? not much

i gotta couple rectangular vinyl.....interview? albums, of Megadave.....apparently they can play normally, but i've never tried and i still don't understand how-doesn't seem like they'd fit. but as i said, never tried-i'll just keep em hanging on my wall, lookin cool, for the time being

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 pm 

I started collecting vinyl a little while ago, mainly due to the fact that a number of releases I am interested in only get put out on vinyl, particularly in various electronic genres. However, I can't deny the aesthetic appeal of vinyl. Some album covers just look so good when blown up to that 12 inch+ size, and I much prefer getting these releases on vinyl rather than some other medium. I have noticed something sort of odd since I've been collecting vinyl though. A lot of artwork that looks good on CD does not look as good, or looks flat out ugly, when enlarged to record size (my best example of artwork I love on cd but hate on vinyl is Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted). Generally artwork that has a smaller scope or features very centered images and relatively symmetrical layouts looks very ugly to me on vinyl, even though I may like some of these images in a smaller size. Anyone else experience something similar to this?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm 

This is the one vinyl I own. Bought it at an instrument shop in Manchester, New Hampshire called the Music Mill. They had three large boxes full of vinyls for sale that I skimmed through. I got it for $5.

One of the boxes also had Into the Pandemonium and Defenders of the Faith, and I really wish that I had gotten them too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 pm 

I don't know about sound quality, but the 180 gram vinyls and less prone to warpage (and thus skipping), while picture discs warp easily. Not sure about clear vinyl, but I have not personally had problems with them warping.

Reply to topic