Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 am 

Void, yes there are "hardcore" influences...

But not hardcore punk or hardcore like Hatebreed, but a different hardcore - hardcore techno. There are further genre names such as speedcore, breakcore, happy hardcore, terrorcore, trancecore, frenchcore, dubcore and even metalcore (as in hardcore techno with a 'metallic' sound, which to me still sounds like techno)

That also happens to be yet another list of silly genre names. Especially since there was hardcore before there was hardcore and hardcore ripped hardcore off hardcore by stealing the term 'hardcore' from hardcore to make themselves seem hardcore!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 am 

DSBM strikes me as a bit of a silly name but I like the genre and that's what people know it by so I just try to deal with it. I've occasionally tried to call it ambient or atmospheric black metal but that might be just as stupid.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Void, yes there are "hardcore" influences...

But not hardcore punk or hardcore like Hatebreed, but a different hardcore - hardcore techno. There are further genre names such as speedcore, breakcore, happy hardcore, terrorcore, trancecore, frenchcore, dubcore and even metalcore (as in hardcore techno with a 'metallic' sound, which to me still sounds like techno)

That also happens to be yet another list of silly genre names. Especially since there was hardcore before there was hardcore and hardcore ripped hardcore off hardcore by stealing the term 'hardcore' from hardcore to make themselves seem hardcore!

If we're allowed to talk electronic music genres, brostep is probably one of the most hilariously bad genre names out there. Though I guess it does technically describe exactly what it sounds like, to an extent. Shit like Excision and Datsik certainly are pretty much the music of choice for your average ape-ish retard in the new decade.
Hehe, foreskins.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am 

VoidApostle wrote:
Not metal, but apparently there's something called lolicore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua9zX_7khck (To anyone who listens to this, I'm sorry...) which is pretty damn stupid. By the way, there are WAY to many genres with "core" slapped behind them. Are there even any hardcore influences in that song I linked?

"lolicore" really isn't even a genre. It's basically applied to any artist who makes hardcore techno or breakcore with anime little girl vocal samples.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 am 

Crick wrote:
If we're allowed to talk electronic music genres, brostep is probably one of the most hilariously bad genre names out there. Though I guess it does technically describe exactly what it sounds like, to an extent. Shit like Excision and Datsik certainly are pretty much the music of choice for your average ape-ish retard in the new decade.

Brostep is used as a pejorative and I'm sure it's fans would say they listen to dubstep. It would be pretty funny to hear someone say they listen to brostep with a straight face though.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:57 am 

Yeah, pretty much. It's the "mallcore" of EDM.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 am 

I feel like there should be a more legitimate name for that sort of music. Like aggrostep or something. That way people could stop confusing it for a different genre and there'd be a less pejorative name for it. Yknow, for documentation purposes and stuff.
Hehe, foreskins.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:25 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
DSBM strikes me as a bit of a silly name but...

To be honest, I think most DSBM is pretty silly anyway. The descriptor just makes it even sillier than it already was.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 am 

^ It becomes sillier when bands prefix DSBM with words like 'Pure'. Nortt calls their style - Pure Depressive Suicidal Black Funeral Doom Metal. It's just bands trying to +1up each other really.

iAm wrote:
shouvince wrote:
I know of a guy who started a band and called their style as Crustviolence or Crustcore. They rule though! I guess when the music takes precedence, what's in a name anyway *shrugs*

I've heard that used to describe stuff like His Hero is Gone, but I admittedly don't know much of that erm, niche. By the way what's your friends band and do they have any free downloads my broke ass could rip?

Not a friend, more like a "scene-guy". The band is called Filthpact.
http://www.filthpact.com
http://www.myspace.com/filthpact

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am 

I've heard of several bands described as Crustcore, Cripple bastard is one of them.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 am 

Crustcore is uuuuusually just another term for crust punk, although it's often applied specifically to the hardcore/d-beat styled stuff that comes out of Sweden (aka kängpunk, discore). Cripple Bastards is more crustgrind, which some people might call crustcore, but I've never heard that.

For another semi-kinda-sorta-genre in the crust spectrum with an odd name, there's stenchcore. It's generally applied to particularly metal-influenced and dirty crust punk. There's also "apocalyptic crust."

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:54 am 

Stenchcore was essentially an alternative name for Crust Punk in the early days of the genre (Hellbastard, Amebix, Deviated Instinct), due to the bands mainly consisting of hygenically-challenged Crusties living in squats.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 am 

Yeah, that's pretty much the long and the short of it. It's not a name you can take a lot of pride in, these days.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 am 

Yeah, in my eyes, "Crust Punk" refers to the earlier style - i.e. thrash-tinged tribal punk, rather than the more extreme grind-orientated stuff it refers to now, which is what I call "Crustcore". A lot of stuff I call Crust Punk is rejected by modern Crust fans.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 am 

Not really a "silly" genre name, but it always drives me nuts when people try to label bands like Cephalotripsy as "slamming guttural brutal death metal". Not only is that retardedly long, but it's dreadfully redundant (90% of those bands use gutturals, and literally all of them are intrinsically brutal death metal). Just call it "slam death metal" or "slam", fuck.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 am 

anti-cosmic metal of death, anyone?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Crick wrote:

Brostep is used as a pejorative and I'm sure it's fans would say they listen to dubstep. It would be pretty funny to hear someone say they listen to brostep with a straight face though.

I can't take any type of genre named step seriously regardless of suffix. Step implies some footwork being done here. What is being stepped on? Is it a stepping dance? Or is there a wubwub foot pedal used in making this music?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I can't take any type of genre named step seriously regardless of suffix. Step implies some footwork being done here. What is being stepped on? Is it a stepping dance? Or is there a wubwub foot pedal used in making this music?

Well, yes, it is referring to dance, as all the "-step" genres are dance genres. It originated in the 90s, with Hardstep Drum n Bass and 2-step Garage, and I suppose the the term has roots going back to "Steppers" Reggae.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:01 pm 

Like I said in the TS: any genre label that sounds silly is eligible for inclusion in this thread. This is the place to make fun of it, have a real good laugh about it and then going on loving it at the same time.

Seeing what has been written so far:
I really think all those Post prefixes are as silly as hell in two ways!
I'll explain: post means "after" so a prefix saying that it comes after something ........ what kind of prefix is that? Shouldn't that be a suffix then?
Furthermore: since post means after: does that mean that when someone calls his music post-metal that Metal in itself doesn't exist anymore? Something can only come after another thing when the first thing has become non-existent.
Or does that mean that it is a style that is created right after the original style was created? That can also not be true because Post metal is around for some years now but I witnessed the whole transition from Heavy metal to Speed metal to Thrash metal and Death metal. This all happened before there even was thought of the label Post metal.

Sometimes I think some labels are only thought up by people who want to be part of a particular scene while they know they really aren't. Hence the Dark Ambient label. Ambient is a style of House music (which in itself has nothing whatsoever to do with Metal, leave alone Black Metal). Dark Ambient is just a tad more sinister in it's lyrics so that explains the prefix Dark.
Now comes the but in (no, not the double T-ed butt): There has always been a style label for more sinister music since the late 70's / early 80's: that is called Gothic. It is a complete way of life to quite some people. So wouldn't Gothic Ambient be a better descriptor? It probably is like I said before: that would imply that the people who make Dark Ambient have nothing to do with the Metal scene and that is what they so desperately want since they are not capable of making metal music themselves or because they are involved in something Metal and are afraid people might not like them anymore because they are involved in something that isn't TRUE metal (or like they like to spell it TROO, that alone should make one think. Anyone who doesn't use the normal spelling has something to hide or is too stupid to really care about!).

Come to think of it: the House label is also a very stupid genre label: Does it mean that you only play this music while you are in a house? Why then have House Parties in abandoned factories and such? Silly to the limit!
Now if they only come up with silly walks to complement their music they could apply to the ministry of silly-walks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

balbulus wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Well, yes, it is referring to dance, as all the "-step" genres are dance genres. It originated in the 90s, with Hardstep Drum n Bass and 2-step Garage, and I suppose the the term has roots going back to "Steppers" Reggae.

Yeah, it's a bit overdone these days (drumstep in particular is rather silly) but looking back to it's origins it does make sense. Plus techstep is my favorite style of drum and bass so I've been used to it for years.

Honestly, I'm surprised deathstep (or maybe dubcore?) has not become a thing. I supposed it's because anyone who would want to hear such a thing is too busy thugging out and making agro faces to be bothered to learn how to use a sequencer. I briefly considered making some as a troll project but then decided my time would be better spent studying 18th century Bulgarian weaving.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

Deathstep has been done, in both "deathcore band adds a brostep breakdown" and "brostep with lots of deathcore samples" forms. Emmure had a brosteppy song, and there's one by the Browning.

It's all pretty lame.

Rob1 wrote:
\Ambient is a style of House music

Uh, no. Not at all.
Quote:
Dark Ambient is just a tad more sinister in it's lyrics so that explains the prefix Dark.

Lyrics? No. Nope. Not at all.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
Sometimes I think some labels are only thought up by people who want to be part of a particular scene while they know they really aren't. Hence the Dark Ambient label. Ambient is a style of House music (which in itself has nothing whatsoever to do with Metal, leave alone Black Metal). Dark Ambient is just a tad more sinister in it's lyrics so that explains the prefix Dark.

:durr:

First of all, ambient has been around for at least a decade before house music really got off the ground. You never see Tangerine Dream's Zeit or Klaus Schulze's first two albums being classified as house do you?

Second of all, most ambient doesn't even have lyrics. The "dark" add-on describes the music's darker, creepier atmosphere.

You could definitely tell that this is creepier than this.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Not metal, but apparently there's something called lolicore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua9zX_7khck (To anyone who listens to this, I'm sorry...) which is pretty damn stupid. By the way, there are WAY to many genres with "core" slapped behind them. Are there even any hardcore influences in that song I linked?

For some reason I had I a bad feeling that was going to be an anime thing, maybe its the word loli, but that was kinda creepy. Some music genres shouldn't exist.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 am 

Rob1: having "post-" as a suffix just because its meaning contradicts the general idea of a prefix seems rather silly. It's like saying that the word "long" should be changed to "looooooooooooooooooong" so that it matches the definition. Also, I disagree with your claim that "post-" implies that whatever came before has been eliminated. Humans are "post-monkeys", but that doesn't mean that monkeys no longer exist. Likewise, thrash metal didn't literally cease to exist the second that death metal became a thing.

Post-metal is post-rock with metal influences, it's not meant to imply that the subgenre as a whole will inevitably succeed all other metal from an evolutionary standpoint.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:08 am 

Well since Post Mortem means after death and Post War means after the war.........

I like all the comments I read. Even when they tell me I'm wrong. Like I said in the topic start: this topic is for laughs, not to be taken too seriously! (I'll keep that for my wife, she can take me whenever she wants, seriously!)

BTW: I consider Thrash Metal and Death Metal the same. Why: the only difference in song structures might be the way they sing but since Chuck Billy also uses some grunting and several death Metal bands also have used clean vocals I think it is fair to say that the are one and the same. especially considering that Chuck Schuldiner himself always meant to make Thrash Metal but was given the monniker Death metal because he, like he said himself, couldn't really sing. If he had been able to he probably would have been glad to have a singer like Warrel Dane as the lead singer for Death from the get go!

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 am 

Another genre I was thinking about recently with a silly name is baggy. It's kind of a mix of indie rock and alternative dance music that emerged in England in the late 80s. The Stone Roses are a good example. Apparently the name comes from the people in the scene (centered on Manchester or "Madchester" as they called it) wearing a lot of baggy clothes.

Rob1 wrote:
BTW: I consider Thrash Metal and Death Metal the same. Why: the only difference in song structures might be the way they sing...

That's not even remotely true.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am 

Rob1 wrote:
BTW: I consider Thrash Metal and Death Metal the same. Why: the only difference in song structures might be the way they sing but since Chuck Billy also uses some grunting and several death Metal bands also have used clean vocals I think it is fair to say that the are one and the same. especially considering that Chuck Schuldiner himself always meant to make Thrash Metal but was given the monniker Death metal because he, like he said himself, couldn't really sing. If he had been able to he probably would have been glad to have a singer like Warrel Dane as the lead singer for Death from the get go!

:eek: Woaah there. Very very simplistic deductions. Like Beast said, not even remotely true.

I saw some talk of Deathstep above here. Is that even a thing? I've heard of Deathrap but never that. I can imagine deathcore bands experimenting with the wubwub sounds but ugh...I shudder to think what it might sound like.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Humans are "post-monkeys", but that doesn't mean that monkeys no longer exist.

Now I ain't no scientician, but I don't remember being a monkey!

I definitely see the useful-ness of the post- prefix, although it does irk me the way it is used sometimes to describe, in the case of "post-metal", metal bands that take influenced from post-rock bands, as opposed to bands that do to metal what post-rock dudes did to rock, if that makes sense.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am 

shouvince wrote:
I saw some talk of Deathstep above here. Is that even a thing? I've heard of Deathrap but never that. I can imagine deathcore bands experimenting with the wubwub sounds but ugh...I shudder to think what it might sound like.

It's sort of a thing. Some deathcore bands have added wub wub and some wub wubbers have added deathcore elements, but it's not really a full-fledged genre. Death rap isn't really a thing either; it's just what a few associated horrorcore artists (chiefly Necro, who coined the term) call their style of death metal-inspired hip-hop.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 am 

The closest things to deathstep that I'm aware of are Big Chocolate's various remixes of deathcore songs. It's definitely been done before, but at this point in time it's more of a concept than an actual genre.

And yes, being the local Emmure fan, I can confirm that they do indeed get their WUBWUB on at times. Particularly on Speaker of the Dead.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am 

shouvince wrote:
Rob1 wrote:

:eek: Woaah there. Very very simplistic deductions. Like Beast said, not even remotely true.

Because there have been additions later on doesn't mean it isn't true! Chuck Schuldiner himself always said that the only reason he sang was because he couldn't find a decent vocalist! If you listen to early Death and compare that to thrash bands from the same time (like when I was in my teens and you guys were in your...wait, you weren't even born yet) like Death Angel. Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament etc you will find the similarities (besides the vocals) are very striking.
Later on there were the addition of techniques like Slurring but they weren't there at the time!

I won't tell you I know better because I'm older but I did witness the whole movement of metal and it's various subgenres from the get go! When I started listening to Metal it was the NWOBHM followed by the likes of Dokken etc. Shortly thereafter being followed by Metallica and Exodus as the Speed Metal kings and Slayer as the Pioneers of Thrash Metal.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am 

Rob1 wrote:

What are you smoking? Because I want some, dude!

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am 

Thing is, Rob1, Death (like most early death metal bands) were still drawing upon thrash metal to some extent. Later in the 90s, the genre shedded its inherent thrash influence and became more of its own separate entity. I don't think anyone here will argue that even early 90s albums like Legion and Considered Dead have little more than minute traces of thrash remaining in their sound. And I'm referring to the riffs involved, not the vocals (which really aren't the best way to define a genre, anyways).

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm 

Rob1, like I said it was a very simplistic deduction on your part. I'll just explain why I felt your post made me reply that way.

Rob1 wrote:
BTW: I consider Thrash Metal and Death Metal the same. Why: the only difference in song structures might be the way they sing but since Chuck Billy also uses some grunting and several death Metal bands also have used clean vocals I think it is fair to say that the are one and the same.

Vocals don't determine a genre, it's the music.

Rob1 wrote:
Because there have been additions later on doesn't mean it isn't true! Chuck Schuldiner himself always said that the only reason he sang was because he couldn't find a decent vocalist! If you listen to early Death and compare that to thrash bands from the same time (like when I was in my teens and you guys were in your...wait, you weren't even born yet) like Death Angel. Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament etc you will find the similarities (besides the vocals) are very striking.

All genres emanate from somewhere, possibly similar points of reference. So there will obviously be similarities in style I don't deny it. In my books, Possessed were one of the front-runners of creating this new genre...moving away from the then conventional thrash metal sound. I agree Death played a role in it too but you made a blanket statement saying "Thrash and Death are the same". That's just such a über macro-view of looking at things which made me disagree with your post. That's all.

Rob1 wrote:
I won't tell you I know better because I'm older but I did witness the whole movement of metal and it's various subgenres from the get go! When I started listening to Metal it was the NWOBHM followed by the likes of Dokken etc. Shortly thereafter being followed by Metallica and Exodus as the Speed Metal kings and Slayer as the Pioneers of Thrash Metal.

I guess you have a different perspective since you saw the whole movement unfold. Pretty cool, I wish I could've had a first-hand peek at it. But I feel it could be biasing your statements/deductions/whathaveyou. Us younger guys see everything outside-looking-in so I guess we're more objective :-P

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm 

Like I said before: I don't mind being told wrong. (In my professional life I am right almost all of the time, being a teacher) I also very much like a good discussion and the best way to inspire those is by making a bold statement which will provoke others in contradicting it. It inspires us all in what we say and how we say it.

I really like all the comment I get back and am wearing a broad smile while typing this! ;)

The nice thing is that you see that certain techniques that are used in one style also permeate in others thus making the distinction between one style and the other less set.

To me it's all metal to begin with and the subgenres are not too important to me anyway! I like the music or not. That is my main focus. The rest is trivial!

that is why I don't mind making fun out of genre labels in the first place, I don't take it too seriously!

If you want to know what I have done musically: you could check out the pages of Winterpain, Halcyon (Dutch band) and Achnaton. And that is what is suitable for the MA!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm 

Alright Rob, you seem like a cool, sensible, and level headed guy. It's just that stating that thrash and death metal are one and the same is bound to stir things up a bit, especially on this forum.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm 

ANTI-KAWSMIC LILITHIAN BLACK METTLE

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm 

I swear: once some shitty emo kids decide to cross black metal with hardcore, I will lose my faith in humanity. They'll end up calling it something gay like 'grimcore' or 'blasphemousskinnyjeanscore'. Damn you Asking Alexandria!

Back to OP: Nintendocore. They literally take nintendo bleeps and mix it with double bass drums and random, shitty djent, core style riffs to create some sort of nerdy, emo crap that probably causes ear AIDS.
How about those bands that mix dubstep and metal/hardcore? Or the ones (often find them on this site)
who cant for the life of them decide what are? Stuff like Symphonic Sludge/ Death Metal cross over with Doom and Crust influences should not exist. Or the ones who are obviously 12 years who made the band who just label it, plain and simple, as Metal.

Not close to metal, but the most ridiculous thing I've heard of: White Power Rap.
This Exists.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
To me it's all metal to begin with and the subgenres are not too important to me anyway! I like the music or not. That is my main focus.

Yup, absolutely. I try not to dwell much in genres as well and that's almost my fuckin' mantra to listening to anything; which is why I'd like to believe I'm quite open-minded :-D

Rob1 wrote:
If you want to know what I have done musically: you could check out the pages of Winterpain, Halcyon (Dutch band) and Achnaton. And that is what is suitable for the MA!

Those bands seem badass. Good stuff! :metal:

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm 

Black metal has some bad ones. Arcane Black Metal? Often they name their styles after lyrical themes. For example: Satanic, Depressive, Christian/Unblack, Suicidal, Pagan and Viking (should just be called flok black metal), and National Socialist. Its really quite pointless. Name your music after the sound. Not Ideology/lyrics.

For instance: why not call your dsbm band Black Metal/ Ambient, Melodic Black Metal, etc?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next