Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:00 am 

Hey guys,
I'm starting this to start up a few conversations, discussions and just about anything about the one and only Angry Video Game Nerd, the very one from Cinemassacre.

My favorite episode would definatley have to be about the Action 52 NES compilation, damn that game looked like it had no thought even put into it, AVGN's reactions were classic with that.

Are there any games you think he should review but hasn't already?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 am 

He's a profoundly unfunny guy that's been doing the same old thing for years now.. Yahtzee is at least a 100x the game reviewer this guy is. I've tried watching a bit of his stuff and just been consistently underwhelming, just flat out unfunny.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 am 

Why not use the video game thread?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:14 am 

I enjoy his reviews of obscure horror films more. By the way the AVGN movie looks god awful.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 am 

How the fuck can you make a film out of what that guy does? I enjoy some of his reviews, but there's no movie to be made there. It's like Metallica making a movie out of one of their concerts.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:47 pm 

I'll watch the movie. I enjoy his videos on both games and cinema.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:52 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
How the fuck can you make a film out of what that guy does? I enjoy some of his reviews, but there's no movie to be made there. It's like Metallica making a movie out of one of their concerts.

It's not a feature length review. I recommend watching the trailer, since it seems like you haven't done that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 pm 

I do enjoy a good number of AVGN videos since it's just a guy bashing games with no tact. That, and the production level of it makes it better than most other video game bashers.
Diamhea wrote:
By the way the AVGN movie looks god awful.

But defending that AVGN movie is impossible. It looks horrendous and has been the guy's biggest waste of time since it started. A god damn black hole.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm 

I enjoy his reviews. He gets the guy-pretends-to-be-angry-at-entertainment-medium schtick right, and I always get a kick out of the nonsensical string of obscenities like "shitload of fuck" and "fuckrats."

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm 

I enjoyed his stuff around 2007, but it definitely started going downhill at some point. Not enough raw anger, too much focus on fancy shit. I liked when it was just some guy spouting off absurd rants along to footage of the games; the past few years it seems he's tried to "develop" the character, as well as cram in as much stupid bullshit as possible. Yeah, from quite early on there was an abundance of tomfoolery, but it was actually entertaining. It just sort of became less funny, a bit boring and often a little painful to watch. I still check out the new videos, even if some of them are plain terrible. An example being the Ikari Warriors review, which is probably the first one that I couldn't bother to finish watching and turned it off. That said, the latest one wasn't bad.

The movie is just a fucking ridiculous idea. Take everything about AVGN that I don't care for, and turn it into a full length movie?! :grumble:

The game looks like it could be decent for what it is, though.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 am 

why would I voluntarily listen to an angry nerd talk about anything?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 am 

I have seriously watched every video within a week. Love his style, its hilarious and I enjoy him when he is actually being himself.

Has anyone watched anything by Noah Antwiler (SpoonyOne)? He is similar to AVGN but he reviews different games. His review of the entire Ultima series is awesome and he chooses the best movies to review.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:29 am 

Yeah, unlike AVGN, Spoony consistently kicks ass.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:10 am 

I prefer the infamous plagiarist, The Irate Gamer himself, A.K.A. The Bores.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 am 

My favourite episode is Schwarznegger Games, mostly due to it covering so much ground and variety with gameplay, plus the later AVGN episodes are way more enjoyable as he comes off as a semi-relatable articulate fan rather than just being a hyper complainer with a one note swearing schtick. James' battle with beating Predator and it's badly designed levels is hilarious, 'I'm not fucking around here, I'm not fucking around!". Also the SNES vs Sega Genesis two part episode, although not AVGN is really high on my favourites.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 am 

it kinda seems like a lot of people think that he just spouts off whatever as he films and just splices it together. He actually writes out a script to use. There was an episode that showed the process that is actually pretty damn long in how he creates an episode which is filming the game as he plays which he writes down notes and time stamps of where to cut to the game footage to have the part of the rant make sense then from there develop a bit of a back story if any in what else he is going to do in the episode, then filming everything, editing. it's a huge long process and upon watching that video I had more of an appreciation of what he does. Cause it takes a week or two just to make a single episode.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:45 am 

There's that metaphor, I think Noktorn used it about Xasthur- something about how watching a man build an entire house out of waffles is kinda cool, until you realise that it's literally just a house made out of waffles. I preferred thinking it was improv, personally...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's not a feature length review. I recommend watching the trailer, since it seems like you haven't done that.

Admittedly I hadn't watched the trailer. Having now witnessed it, I can safely say that the film looks like everything I expected it to be. He'll probably make a sequel. It will be a Morgan Spurlock style docudrama and he'll find out the truth over what happened to Swordquests Crown of Life, Philosophers Stone and The Sword of Ultimate Sorcery.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
My favourite episode is Schwarznegger Games, mostly due to it covering so much ground and variety with gameplay, plus the later AVGN episodes are way more enjoyable as he comes off as a semi-relatable articulate fan rather than just being a hyper complainer with a one note swearing schtick. James' battle with beating Predator and it's badly designed levels is hilarious, 'I'm not fucking around here, I'm not fucking around!". Also the SNES vs Sega Genesis two part episode, although not AVGN is really high on my favourites.

The Action 52 video always stuck out to me as one of his best ones. It has one of my favorite moments in any AVGN episode when he ponders over why when you say "asshole" on TV, "hole" is censored but not "ass". It's a complete nonsequiter, but it's really funny and there's truth to it.

Also, when it comes to improv in his videos, the only one I can think of that was mostly improv was the Toxic Avenger episode. He somehow got Lloyd Kaufman to play the game with him, and pretty much everything Kaufman says is just an off-the-cuff vulgarity or nonsensical remark.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:18 pm 

When I was a bit younger I had great fun watching his videos. Never really liked the more filmic aspects like the shoddy effects and all that, but I had fun seeing him play and raving about the shittier aspects. I still find it entertaining today as long as you don't take him too seriously.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

When that kind of thing was new on the internet it was sorta entertaining. Now I can't see anyone finding it worth watching at all.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

The newer episodes are really lame, he seems really bored with it, and filming it in HD kind of goes against the idea of a DIY web series in the first place. It got way too big way too fast, the last time he was releasing worthwhile material was Spring 2010.

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I enjoy his reviews of obscure horror films more. By the way the AVGN movie looks god awful.

THIS right here. If I want dumb game reviews I go to Penguinz0. When I want dumb movie reviews I go to this guy.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Yeah, unlike AVGN, Spoony consistently kicks ass.

Personally I can't stand spoony. I think he's a total camera hog/whore, and has an attitude like his head is way up his ass. His movie reviews are passable, except for his reviews for newer movies where the reviews obnoxiously go on for 1 1/2-2 hours.

While I'm on the subject, I prefer the work of the Nostalgia Critic, though his newer episodes are overblown and focus more on heavy-handed tangents and extended skits than the actual reviewing. So far the only ones left with any real integrity are The Cinema Snob and Oancitizen.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm 

I like Spoony, though over the past few years his output in regards to actual produced reviews has slowed down more and more, but when he does, they're great. I have to say that I like Angry Joe a lot, he has a level of honesty that I like. But overall, the best reviewer I think is Yahtzee. The fact he's still on top of his game after 6 years despite never taking long hiatuses and not budging his style an inch is remarkable.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:31 pm 

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/09/19/avgn ... mber-2013/

Since there was talk about his movie earlier, James just put up a big, 16 minute long update about the status of the movie and when it'll be done.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 pm 

I have to post on this topic how much I hate Mike Matei. Dude is so unbelievably annoying, he is like that one friend everybody has that always has to "one-up" you by having a bigger film collection, rarer games, more this and more that. He is diluting the Cinemassacre site with his lame game and movie reviews, and he manually goes through and bans people from the Youtube channel for saying they don't like the new material.

Last.fm

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:30 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I have to post on this topic how much I hate Mike Matei. Dude is so unbelievably annoying, he is like that one friend everybody has that always has to "one-up" you by having a bigger film collection, rarer games, more this and more that. He is diluting the Cinemassacre site with his lame game and movie reviews, and he manually goes through and bans people from the Youtube channel for saying they don't like the new material.

He seems ok when he's with James, but I generally don't watch any of his solo stuff. I don't know exactly what the movie is but if it's mostly skits instead of actual gaming content it will flop terrifically. For me James is at his best when he's just sitting, playing games and angrily reviewing them. He's genuinely good at covering video games and most of the the games he's done are before my time (I'm only 23) so I get to learn a lot of the history of the industry; so it's really cool to hear about stuff like the Odyssey, 3DO, Atari Jaguar and all the bits of random terrible games that nobody remembers. But the skits just seem like slapstick fights and vulgar comedy that doesn't work for me taken out of the context of him getting pissed off at games.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I don't know exactly what the movie is but if it's mostly skits instead of actual gaming content it will flop terrifically.

Skits? From what I understand the entire thing is just one big story based on the character. Who is interested in this, other than some really devoted/retarded fans?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

AnimeDad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 pm 

caspian wrote:
There's that metaphor, I think Noktorn used it about Xasthur- something about how watching a man build an entire house out of waffles is kinda cool, until you realise that it's literally just a house made out of waffles. I preferred thinking it was improv, personally...

How in the world did that relate to Xasthur?

AVGN isn't particularly funny or insightful, or even angry, really (his videos are mostly pretty chill, aren't they?). But that's part of what makes him endearing: his stuff's like the kind of videos you might have worked on with your idiot friends in the early 90s. There's no self-awareness. It's the difference between someone who wears a Mario shirt because they want to look retro/ironic and someone who wears a Mario shirt because they like Mario.

I'm not gonna see the movie, but it's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He really envisions himself as an amateur Rocky.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
For me James is at his best when he's just sitting, playing games and angrily reviewing them.

A million times this. Silver Surfer, Dick Tracy, Ghostbusters, and Street Fighter 2010 are some of my favorites specifically because it's just him sitting, showing clips from the game, and bashing them. No retarded skits (Bugs Bunny, Star Trek, Rob the Robot, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw... jeez, :puke: ), "fanservice" (Deadly Towers), or going off on his own thing entirely (two of those Christmas specials + Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle... good fucking lord).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Frenzied Metalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 pm 

The Angry Video Game Nerd got old fast, and his newest videos are horrifying, and his movie will definitely blow, it's essentially a long, boring skit from a review with the same quality of comedy you'll get from one of those horrendous "Scary Movie" sequels, I almost feel sorry for every mindless fan-drone that donated to Jame's project, but at the same time I hope they all fall into a meat grinder for being do gullible and stupid.

I much prefer his "misc" stuff, like his reviews of old cinema, at least they aren't the same hackneyed toilet humour.

Also, Mike Metei can rot in a plague pit, I despise that guy with every fibre of my body!
I'm a lionheart"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:52 pm 

Run on sentence much?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:08 am 

Frenzied Metalhead wrote:
The Angry Video Game Nerd got old fast, and his newest videos are horrifying, and his movie will definitely blow, it's essentially a long, boring skit from a review with the same quality of comedy you'll get from one of those horrendous "Scary Movie" sequels, I almost feel sorry for every mindless fan-drone that donated to Jame's project, but at the same time I hope they all fall into a meat grinder for being do gullible and stupid.

I much prefer his "misc" stuff, like his reviews of old cinema, at least they aren't the same hackneyed toilet humour.

Also, Mike Metei can rot in a plague pit, I despise that guy with every fibre of my body!

...well how do you really feel?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:26 am 

I enjoy most of James Rolfe's stuff quite a bit. His earlier videos did have a specific kind of charm that sort of dissolved away as he went on (namely, the more focused, genuinely pissed-off anger and resentment - the second video he made, on Jekyll and Hide, wasn't what I'd call good but in a way you really did feel like you were watching someone lamenting how bad the game they ended up with was and drowning away in beer, plus in Roger Rabbit his delivery of "I want to nail Roger Rabbit to the fucking cross" is classic, you wouldn't get something like that out of him nowadays), but honestly I prefer the improved production values and more "relaxed" humor that evolved over time. He's best when making a sarcastic or bemused observation about some of the weird art and game design decisions of some of these older games. When he does his "angry" diatribe today it sounds more a forced attempt to throw his older fans a bone, but at this point he seems to have resigned it to more of a caricature than it even was before. I don't go out of my way to watch him regularly like I used to, though that's due in part to the fact that he rarely puts out an episode anymore, putting all his attention on the movie it seems (and a recent video where he announced having a child which is probably taking up quite a bit of his time needless to say). As for the movie, I have no idea. I'm not expecting great cinema from it but if he can put something together that can stay amusing for a feature's length then that's as good a start as any. And at the very least from what I remember of the trailer I saw (which I don't remember very well actually) I can say it has much better production values than, say, Doug Walker's anniversary video/movie/whatevers.

Really his best stuff are his movie reviews, Monster Madness in particular. He definitely sounds more vested in cinema than video games, and it's great to hear his thoughts on a variety of classic and obscure horror/sci-fi stuff in a way where he's free from putting on an act like with his AVGN character.

Others mentioned in the thread: I enjoy Spoony a lot even though he's had a long drought of content on his site (lately he seems to be picking up the pace though). I'm sure a lot of people jumped what looked like a sinking boat during, ahem "Twittergate" but now that that's all behind him and everything was sewn up with the parties involved he's improved, at least personality-wise considerably. Used to be a huge Nostalgia Critic fan, haven't watched any of his videos in a long-ass time, what recent ones I did watch were OK, I don't hate him like a lot of people seem to nowadays but I never feel particularly inclined to watch a video he makes like I used to. Angry Joe has done some surprisingly good and insightful game reviews but when he goes for the the "in-your-face" personality and the wildly hit-and-miss attempts at often forced humor, and the frequent typos on that background computer of his that's a part of his show tend to nag me and I only watch him sporadically. His playthroughs of certain games with "Other Joe" where it's basically them dicking around and laughing at the game and themselves I find more likeable. OanCitizen does something different and does it very well, he's definitely a refreshing entry into the "Internet video review" pantheon (he needs to speak with a little more clarity in his voice sometimes though - he goes for a dry tone in his narration over movie footage but his words tend to get muddled and blend together - slow down, speak up a bit!). I've liked some of Yahtzee's Extra Punctuation articles, and he's done some in my opinion great freeware games in his pre-ZP days (games which he's mostly looks back in shame it seems though, oh well), but I really don't care for Zero Punctuation at all. His delivery is good and he can throw out an occasional good joke but I just find the general vibe obnoxious. Cinema Snob rules, 'nuff said.

My favorite video-content-maker-people as of now outside of the aforementioned Brad Jones/Cinema Snob are probably JonTron, Continue Show and Total Biscuit, and really the ones I bother to pay attention to consistently nowadays.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:48 am 

Brad Jones is easily my favorite of the Channel Awesome personalities, followed right behind by the last couple years of Nostalgia Critic episodes when Doug starting injecting actual analysis and critiques of whatever movie he's talking about rather than just riffing on them. Brad is the best at doing that TGWTG style of reviewing where riffing and sarcastic comedy is mixed with actually reviewing the content. Spoony is very good at this too, but I much prefer his vlogs and non-character reviews where he'll spend upwards of an hour just talking about a movie or game with no added flair.

And since I've mentioned the Nostalgia Critic, I highly recommend everybody go watch the videos Doug's done under that moniker since he brought it back in February. Special mention goes to his recent review of The Last Airbender, where he utterly rips the movie to pieces while explaining WHY it sucks as bad as it does. Also, his review of Pearl Harbor, where he practically breaks character for a good 5 minutes and deconstructs Michael Bay's dollar store patriotism.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:54 am 

I enjoyed his early videos. I think as time has gone on though, he's pretty much identified all the mechanical things that can make games terrible (poor controls being the most common single factor) and so spends less time actually reviewing why the game is bad in favor of jokes/gags/production sideshows that kind of tie into the review but really constitute the framework of a webseries that could still exist and have nothing to do with videogames. I also feel like he spends less time capturing a game's most ridiculous moments on video... It can take a long time and a lot of footage to sift through to pick out the best moments and I feel like the series has slowly gone downhill over time in that regard too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:38 am 

I think AVGN has gotten quite a bit better since there was a marked dip in quality a couple of years ago. He's settled into a more relaxed style, but I enjoy his "video game history" videos as much as his angry games. Especially for some of these games, it's kind of hard to get truly angry when there's no way you could have expected it to be good in the first place.

That's one of my beefs with these "angry internet reviewers" in general; there has to be some legitimate cause to believe the output would have been good to begin with for the indignation to seem genuine. It has to betray expectations. If a game (or movie) looks like it's going to be a piece of shit, and it turns out to be a piece of shit, who cares? Some of my favorite AVGN episodes are the ones where he reviews a series of games based on a franchise, and they're all shitty, and then ends with one that's actually genuinely good. His overjoyed reaction to finding out the Super Famicom Back to the Future game kicks ass is just perfect.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:53 am 

The Godzilla one is another example of him returning from despondency after discovering the more modern Godzilla games being more in line with what he wants.

As a whole, the "Angry Reviewer" genre is one that needs to die. There might be a few good ones out there, but generally I find most of them terribly unfunny. There are some that were always awful like Irate Gamer and some that were alright/tolerable, but are now retched such as the Nostalgia Critic. If you enjoy them, more power to you. I've moved on.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 am 

Subrick wrote:
Brad Jones is easily my favorite

Umm..yeah. this.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next