Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I can't think of many specific cultural sayings, though I've been doing everything in my power to make "mjolnired" a thing (super drunk).

:lol: I fully support your efforts in this. That rules. :thumbsup:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 am 

Don't think these have been mentioned before, but here's a culturally significant Australian term:

Larrikin - A person who acts with good-natured irreverence, impropriety, pranksterism and a little self-deprecation. It's hard to explain exactly what it means, but larrikins are traditionally in high regard by Australians. It's a significantly overstated phenomenon, though: most Australians only like to pretend they're fun-loving larrikins.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:58 am 

re Larrikin i've heard of it, and it was in a footrot flats cartoon too, but i can't say i've ever heard anyone say it

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 am 

It's an older term, but it's still applied to younger people. Some classic larrikins include Bon Scott and Paul Hogan, but probably the most famous example would be Bob Hawke, the prime minister who was also a record-holding speed drinker. The Chaser are a group commonly seen as "neo-larrikins."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 am 

Thiestru wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I can't think of many specific cultural sayings, though I've been doing everything in my power to make "mjolnired" a thing (super drunk).

:lol: I fully support your efforts in this. That rules. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Love it, and will start using it to spread this around Oz when I'm gettin' drunk.

Has "bludger" been mentioned? This is a term to describe a lazy-assed person, usually at work places.

My collection

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 am 

And then a lazy person who lives off welfare is called a dole-bludger.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:18 am 

Preeety much yep. Another term for white trash/something disgusting or dirty is "chat" or "chatty" ie that person/thing/smell is pretty chat.

My collection

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 am 

skull - to skull/skulling = to drink something all in one go without stopping [for a smoke...]
the sticks - way out in the country
tramp - trampoline
jug - kettle
wagging - playing truant, from work or school etc
lollies - almost all sweets, lollipops included, but not chocolate
bikkies - biscuits of almost any kind, we almost never say "cookie" apart from those massive novelty sized ones made by the cookie company

chatty? that's a new one ha ha

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:31 am 

We say all of those things here, dreadbro.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:31 am 

Hailing from Wisconsin, I've noticed I pronounce a lot of "long a" words different from the rest of the Midwest. I.e,

Flag = "Flayg," where everyone else says "Flagg"

Bayg vs. bagg,
Rayg vs. ragg,

Etc, etc. Otherwise than that, the Midwest of North America is sort of known for not having a very distinct accent, but my Iowa and Illinois friends give me no end of shit for my pronunciation of the above.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 pm 

Reside in south Texas right by the border with Mexico so you're bound to pick up on Mexican/Chicano/Tejano slang simply because, well, because everybody speaks it including white peeps. Plus, you never know when you're gonna need it; chavas or what you'd call chicks really dig it hearing you try to speak Spanish and some slang here and there.

Real brother - Carnal. Real Sister - Mi Carnala
friends - Carnales, Camaradas, Compadres or Compas
My Girlfriend - Mi chava, mi novia. My boyfriend - Mi chavo, mi novio
My wife - Mi vieja - which lit. means my old woman
My husband - Mi viejo

Beers - Chelas
To drink a lot - Pistiar / We are drinking - Estamos Pistiando
Hangover - Crudo

Can I fuck your sister? - Prestame Tu Hermana - This is of course is not the literal translation but is meant to say that and actually used more as an insult rather than an actual proposal.

That's bullshit! - Puro Pedo, which literally means Pure Farts.
Don't give me that bullshit - No me Salgas con Mamadas!
Get the Fuck outta here! - No Mames Guey! - This would literally mean for you not to suck

It's all true - La Pura Neta
To answer Yes - Simon que si

They killed him - Se lo Plomearon, which means he got blasted. Le Dieron Piso - literallly means they put him on or under the ground.

Weed Joint - Un Toque
We're smoking weed - Estamos quemando/Estamos Rifando
This is good shit - Esta Con Madre or A Toda Madre - This literally means 'It's With Mother' so it wouldn't survive translation just like Puro Pedo.

He's out somewhere whacking off - Se la Esta Pelando, which literally means he's peeling it.
She got all wet - Se le iso Agua La Canoa - Lit. means her canoe turned into water.
She likes to fuck - Eya si te Presta las Nalgas - lit. she'll give you her ass
Let's go out - Vamonos a Pasear or Sal Con Migo which means Go Out With Me
To declare one's love for a girl - Se la Canto - lit. means he sang it for her. Se La Canto can also mean you told a guy off

Let's go Fuck - Vamonos a Hecharnos Un Palito - lit. Lets throw a stick
Blowjob - Un Chupon, Un Mamon, Un Paleton(a popsickle)
To ask for a blowjob - Chupame la Verga
Penis - Riata, Verga, Chorizo, Chile, there's just too many. Mexicans have a million words for both sex organs.
Vagina - Panocha, Pepa, Choncha, Burro, Burrito,
Asshole - Culo, Fundio, Tira Cacas(shit dropper), Cagon(shitter), El Apestozo(the smelly one) lol

He stole it - Se la Jambo, Pronounced Hahmbo
Thief - Rata, Jambon
He fucked you over - Te iso Tranza
Fuck You - Chingas a tu Madre! - again the translation does not survive but you get the idea
To hit hard - Palos!(sticks) or Mecos!(lit. means sperm or jizz)
Blood, or Bloody - Mole or Chingos de Mole. Mole is actually a Mexican dish of chicken served with a dark sauce and rice.
A lot - Chingos!

White Boy - Gabacho, Gringo, Guero - White Girl - Gabacha, Guera
Black Guy - Chanate, Mayate(I believe is a type of black dung beetle)

All's Well - Todo Pichon or Todo Firme

Damn it! - Puta Madre! or Chingado!
Whatever! - Mis Huevos! Which literally means My Balls!
He ain't shit! - No trae Nada! or Me lo Paso por los Huevos!, which is drug smugglin slang for somebody that can easily smuggle a little piece of shit like the guy he's talking about under his balls.

A car that is smuggling a lot of drugs - Ese carro esta bien Clavado - Clavado means nailed or to dive deep which I suppose means the smuggler is carrying a heavy load.

Go Fuck Yourself - Metete El Dedo - lit. means go finger yourself.
They lost or got fucked as in a sporting game - Se La Metieron or Le Metieron El Dedo

Here's some that rhyme:
Honestly - Me Canzo Ganzo
Do you understand me? - Me Entiendes Mendez? O te los Esplico Federico?

When you don't want to deal with somebody you see coming or don't want to hear what they're trying to tell you - Nombre, Chale Homes! or just Chale!

When you're trying to make somebody believe you - I swear! - Te lo Juro! - and then you kiss your hand after you do the sign of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit

When you're talking with another guy and swear by some man-law or code that what you're about to say is true, No Bullshit, Shooting from the Hip - Al Puro Chile! - which lit. means Straight off the Dick, Nothing but Dick no pussy shit.

To Chicken Out - Se rajo

Metalhead - Roquero or Grenudo or Grenas which means long-haired freak

Punkrocker - Ponke

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:30 pm 

I live in Downriver Michigan, which is essentially the toilet bowl Detroit took a shit into when the big three went tits up. It was settled by gangsters (Purple Gang), bootleggers from the south and Jews, and has since evolved into a strange little melting pot of all kinds of trash. The lexicon here is derived mostly from rap music and decades upon decades of imbeciles parenting imbeciles. The byzantine scope of the verbal atrocities committed here are downright Lovecraftian. I wouldn't know where to begin.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
The byzantine scope of the verbal atrocities committed here are downright Lovecraftian. I wouldn't know where to begin.

One of the most hilariously worded things I've read in a while.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
We say all of those things here, dreadbro.

yeah? so far almost every australian one i've recognised, pretty spooky since there's an ocean between the two.

nekuomanteia wrote:
Reside in south Texas right by the border with Mexico so you're bound to pick up on Mexican/Chicano/Tejano slang simply because, well, because everybody speaks it including white peeps. Plus, you never know when you're gonna need it; chavas or what you'd call chicks really dig it hearing you try to speak Spanish and some slang here and there.

Can I fuck your sister? - Prestame Tu Hermana - This is of course is not the literal translation but is meant to say that and actually used more as an insult rather than an actual proposal.
that's an interesting insult :roll:

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hmm, I guess I forgot to mention it's something you say to somebody that you know is either bullshitting you or boring you. Kinda like saying Yeah, Right. my bad.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
Also, nobody within a hundred mile radius of Chicago refers to expressways by their number, it's always by their name. "The Stevenson," "The Eisenhower," etc.

Not quite true. I think I know most of them, but I live about 35/40 miles west and I only refer to them by their numbers.

Without cheating:
Eisenhower = 294
Reagan = 88
Kennedy = 90/94
Stevenson = 55

Could be wrong, I can't remember what 290 is, or even any of the other major expressways. And then there's Lake Shore Drive, which apparently has a number but I never had any idea.

Nah man 294 is the tri-state and 290 is the Eisenhower. Also 90/94 is the Dan Ryan, 90 from about the Des Plaines oasis until the loop is the Kennedy. And 94 is the Edens and 80/94 is the Bishop Ford.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 pm 

THIS IS WHY I STICK WITH THE NUMBERS. Man I sucked :lol:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 am 

that sounds kind of confusing, you guys need like a cheat sheet on the dash ha ha

here's a question for the americans: is baloney and abalone the same thing?
they sound basically the same

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
that sounds kind of confusing, you guys need like a cheat sheet on the dash ha ha

here's a question for the americans: is baloney and abalone the same thing?
they sound basically the same

:lol: no not even close, baloney is a deli meat that either comes sliced or in stick form and abalone is apparently a type of sea snail according to google.

And don't worry BH most people stick to the numbers hell every time I try and give people directions and use the names they just look at me all confused and blank faced.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 pm 

Boloney and Bologna are the same thing.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm 

we call that stuff luncheon meat or simply shit-soss if it's the same stuff [that may just be me who says that last one] :lol:
i think the little ones we call saveloys if they're the same thing, they're red usually and have to be drowned in tomato sauce [ketchup?]
it's pretty much one step up from dog meat... [the stuff you feed dogs]

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 am 

Nah not the same thing cause while baloney isn't the greatest meat out there what you're describing just sounds nasty. Also lunch meat here refers to any meat used for samwhiches usually turkey roast beef or baloney in my experience.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm 

Also salami, chicken, ham, etc.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm 

hmm i mean the name on the 'sausage' says it's luncheon, i can't find a decent image though.
eg pork flavoured luncheon we don't say "lunch meat"

actually over here on meatlovers pizza we get about 3 different variations on the pizza and they call it beef, you can tell it's jut luncheon meat in different shapes
small sausage, big sausage and 'chunks', we don't even get real pieces of meat 8(
this is pizza hut too by the way, i think the ham is just ham flavoured luncheon meat too, not real ham
what a rip off man!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm 

Sounds like you guys are getting the shaft big time over there Dread, our meat pizza here is great (depending on who you buy it from) though I don't eat Pizza Hut, shit is nasty, but it has actual ham and sausage and pepperoni on it and sometimes other kinds of meat too. Maybe John or one of my other American comrades could kindly through up a picture for you cause I can't figure out how :aww: . And as for that "sausage" in your picture that just looks very unpleasant.

Azmodes wrote:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am 

Figure I'd add some more Greek ones. Not exactly single words but they're interesting enough to share.
These all mean the same thing; they express dissatisfaction with someone or something. They are usually stuck in at the end of a sentence and spoken very quickly, the same way you would stick 'god damnit' at the end of something. These are the most common variations:

Gamw th mana kai to patera sou: I fuck your mother and father
Gamw to kerato sou: I fuck your horn
Gamw to spiti sou: I fuck your house
Gamw to xristo sou: I fuck your Christ
Gamw th panagia sou: I fuck your Virgin Mary
Se gamw anapoda: I fuck you upside down.

One of my favorite words is what my grandfather used to call me: 'Keratopiste', which literally means 'believer in the horn' and is used to describe someone mischievous. To this day I don't actually know if he made that word up.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm 

I fuck your house :lol:

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm 

All I know is that Kiwis say 'Choice, bro!' incessantly, and that 'six' sounds like 'sex'. And that they cheat at ruggers. Besides that they sound like wonderful blokes.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm 

'Choice, bro!' is a bit of a Maori thing, most of us don't say it.
Although back in the 80's we used to say choice quite a bit.

The words bloke and mate have more widespread usage than I originally thought, do you Europeans say them too or just the English, South Africans, Australians etc?
I'm sure one of our regular friendly forum Finns said mate recently, actually it may have been one of those Portuguese fellows :p

re Rugby, we're only cheating when you lose, aye mate ha ha :roll:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 pm 

I've been wondering, (which is why I brought this thread back up...)

There was this guy I used to know who was from Australia but was ethnic aborigine, who used to use the expression "Peat This!"
Meaning, "Make Sure You Understand This!" or "Listen to This." He was the only guy I've ever heard who said that. Is that a common Australian thing? Granted, this guy did some hard time behind bars, as he was one of those guys who lived for being involved with some kind violent drama, and was the most hot-headed, hairtrigger dude I've ever met. So that saying may as likely be some kind of California prison slang as Australian, but he's the only dude I've ever heard who said "Peat This" (usually while explaining why he was about to beat the crap out of somebody.) Anybody else heard of this?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 pm 

I've never heard it used before. A lot of aboriginal sayings are very regional.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 pm 

Hella,some people say finna,hyphy and so on.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 am 

Nobody is really picky about language here. But if you call soda anything besides soda, you will get very bad looks. Actually, people use "deaded" a lot around here. And I mean a lot. I know there are people from my uni around here that have never heard it before.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Nobody is really picky about language here. But if you call soda anything besides soda, you will get very bad looks.

Relevant:
Spoiler: show

It's pop where I come from, and while I'm not going to make a fuss if you call it soda, I'll never call it that myself. The only time that word ever leaves my mouth is if I'm referring to a fruit flavored drink. It's Orange Soda or Grape Soda, but if I'm heading to the fridge, I'll ask if y'all want a pop, not a soda.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 am 

pop and soda both suck, just call it fanta or coke or whatever, pop and soda sound like mum talking her children...unless it's soda water your talking about

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 am 

waiguoren wrote:
'six' sounds like 'sex'.
no that's the ozzys,

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:27 pm 

People at school have been saying spread.
I have no fucking idea what that means besides the obvious definition.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 pm 

@BastardHead: Really? I never use the word pop I always say soda. Pop just sounds strange to me, I thinks its funny cause I'm only like a half hour away from you and nobody by me says pop either.

Azmodes wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 am 

I'm in Kendall County, which is highlighted as 80%-100% Pop. I've really only met one guy my whole life who refused to call it pop. I honestly think soda sounds less silly, because let's face it, pop sounds funny, but old habits die hard and I really can't see myself breaking from it unless I live somewhere else for an extended period of time.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 am 

We call it what it is here, Ginger ale, Sprite etc
"Fizzy drink" is a generic term for all of them and also "softdrink"

Love that map too! :p

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next