Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:42 pm 
 

This very much sums up my taste in Whisky. This is what I have at home at this moment:

Image
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 2627
Location: Orocarni
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
 

That is an unbelievable amount of whisky and money right there.


And I guess you'd be the person to ask: how are the lower-end Ardbeg's? The ones in the$45-$60 range?
_________________
Quote:
<@failsafeman> if you touch a girl while you're fucking a gorilla, it doesn't count as gay
<@failsafeman> that's a rule

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 pm 
 

Earthcubed wrote:
That is an unbelievable amount of whisky and money right there.


And I guess you'd be the person to ask: how are the lower-end Ardbeg's? The ones in the$45-$60 range?


Amazing. In fact, the Ardbeg Ten is in my opinion one of the best single malts there is. There are many single malts in that price range that are known are some of the best around. Caol Ila 12, BenRiach Curiositas, Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10 etcetera.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 954
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 am 
 

Love the username. Ardbeg is some exceptional shit. First scotch I ever tried, actually. The first straight scotch, anyway.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2211
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:10 pm 
 

Nice selection there! I'm trying to track down a Caol Ila at the moment but I haven't had much success. Bowmore is another one and Bunnahabhain, though I haven't placed as much emphasis on those. I might have seen Bowmore, but skipped over it probably because I haven't researched it enough (I'm not getting a Scotch simply because I know its peaty, I'm getting one that I've heard good things about).

I recently got a bottle of Isle of Jura single malt. It's decent, but I'll have to pour another dram to further remark about it.

I'm really curious about BenRiach. I think I've seen that in the state store before. I'm all for trying peaty single malts that aren't from Islay - since trying new Islay malts might require me to either wait until Kilchoman ships stateside, Port Charlotte ships stateside, or the state store stocks Caol Ila, Bowmore and Bunnahabhain.

I could cheat at Bowmore though and get McClelland's Islay malt. It's cheap - among the cheapest single malts, and only aged 7 years.

Peaty scotches aren't the only scotches I like. I gave Bruichladdich a try and found that very enjoyable. Not very smoky, but quite rich and well rounded. It's been a while since I had some, which speaks volumes about how much of an impression it made. Like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, I can conjure up the flavor just by memory.


Burnyoursins wrote:
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but that Balvenie 12 year is indeed fantastic. In fact, I'm drink a glass of it right now. Highland Park is quite good, as well. I have a friend who's an absolute scotch connoisseur who swears by Tullibardine (15 ,18 year). He's absolutely in love with that stuff. I'd also like to put in that Ardbeg is absolutely fantastic. That peat smell will knock you flat on your ass, but god DAMN, does it ever taste good.


May this thread never die for as long as I have a bottle of Scotch and other fine whiskies on hand to talk about - or just drink until I get more buzzed than a swarm of bees. Balvenie is another whisky I'm putting on my short list of new stuff to try.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
Nice selection there! I'm trying to track down a Caol Ila at the moment but I haven't had much success. Bowmore is another one and Bunnahabhain, though I haven't placed as much emphasis on those. I might have seen Bowmore, but skipped over it probably because I haven't researched it enough (I'm not getting a Scotch simply because I know its peaty, I'm getting one that I've heard good things about).

I recently got a bottle of Isle of Jura single malt. It's decent, but I'll have to pour another dram to further remark about it.

I'm really curious about BenRiach. I think I've seen that in the state store before. I'm all for trying peaty single malts that aren't from Islay - since trying new Islay malts might require me to either wait until Kilchoman ships stateside, Port Charlotte ships stateside, or the state store stocks Caol Ila, Bowmore and Bunnahabhain.

I could cheat at Bowmore though and get McClelland's Islay malt. It's cheap - among the cheapest single malts, and only aged 7 years.

Peaty scotches aren't the only scotches I like. I gave Bruichladdich a try and found that very enjoyable. Not very smoky, but quite rich and well rounded. It's been a while since I had some, which speaks volumes about how much of an impression it made. Like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, I can conjure up the flavor just by memory.


Burnyoursins wrote:
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but that Balvenie 12 year is indeed fantastic. In fact, I'm drink a glass of it right now. Highland Park is quite good, as well. I have a friend who's an absolute scotch connoisseur who swears by Tullibardine (15 ,18 year). He's absolutely in love with that stuff. I'd also like to put in that Ardbeg is absolutely fantastic. That peat smell will knock you flat on your ass, but god DAMN, does it ever taste good.


May this thread never die for as long as I have a bottle of Scotch and other fine whiskies on hand to talk about - or just drink until I get more buzzed than a swarm of bees. Balvenie is another whisky I'm putting on my short list of new stuff to try.


I can recommend all of the ones I've got right now. Especially the..fuck it. All of them.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2211
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 pm 
 

No no, I want to know what "Especially" you meant...

Especially if it is not one of the following: Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin (because I tried all of those. All this whisky talk makes me want to have a dram right now!)

The photo gives me an idea, I'm going to try and photograph my whisky collection - which will not just include Scotch but Irish, bourbon, Japanese, French and Pennsylvania Rye whiskies.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 pm 
 

It is hard to find many heavy-peat scotches that aren't from Islay. Ledaig and Ardmore are both peated and delicious, the former from Mull and the latter a Highland, and while neither are anywhere near as phenolic as the Islay players, they both offer a great perspective on the various ways in which peat can play a wonderful role. Ardmore Traditional Cask strikes me as a simplified version of Talisker but I actually kind of enjoy it more, in a way. It's not quite as savory, with an emphasis more on oak and sweet peat.

From what I've read, Longrow CV also sounds like a really intriguing non-Islay, heavily peated scotch. As it comes from the Springbank distillery, I'll be absolutely sure to give it a shot at some point.

EDIT: Whoa, this just shot to the top tier of my to-try list:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12984.aspx

Reinvented Tobermory 10 from the Ledaig distillery. Intelestinngg...
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 am 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
It is hard to find many heavy-peat scotches that aren't from Islay. Ledaig and Ardmore are both peated and delicious, the former from Mull and the latter a Highland, and while neither are anywhere near as phenolic as the Islay players, they both offer a great perspective on the various ways in which peat can play a wonderful role. Ardmore Traditional Cask strikes me as a simplified version of Talisker but I actually kind of enjoy it more, in a way. It's not quite as savory, with an emphasis more on oak and sweet peat.

From what I've read, Longrow CV also sounds like a really intriguing non-Islay, heavily peated scotch. As it comes from the Springbank distillery, I'll be absolutely sure to give it a shot at some point.

EDIT: Whoa, this just shot to the top tier of my to-try list:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12984.aspx

Reinvented Tobermory 10 from the Ledaig distillery. Intelestinngg...


The Longrow C.V. is indeed amazing and quite peaty.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Bede
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:58 am
Posts: 212
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 am 
 

Spoiler: show
Image


Arbeg_Wizard inspired me to take a picture of my babies as well, so here it goes. Finished a 15yo Glenfiddich and 12yo Bunnahabhain last week, so I think I need to replace them with something as soon as possible.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 pm 
 

The vodka. What is it doing there? :P
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Bede
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:58 am
Posts: 212
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 am 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
The vodka. What is it doing there? :P


Haha, damn, I didn't even realise it's there when taking the photo. That's my current collection of spirits, so it has a place next to the whiskies. Besides, it's decent vodka :)

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 954
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:19 am 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Julian, don't drink the Swish... :D

Do they really drink Canadian Club on that show or are you just going with the Canadian reference?


I'm pretty positive Lahey drinks Alberta Premium on that show. They blur out the label, but there's no other whiskey with that bottle shape. That drunk asshole. *laughs*

On topic, I had just bought a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 y/o today. Cracked it open the second I was home. Very sweet, slight hints of peat, but very buried. Definitely not a bad scotch, but I prefer the absolute punch in the face of peat/smoke that comes with a bottle of something like Ardbeg. And by today, I mean yesterday. Hahaha.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 am 
 

Is Alberta Premium supposed to be cheap supermarket liquor? (Because of the show's setting and how he could probably only drink that much if it was cheap, haha...) I only ask because my only experience with Canadian-label whiskey has been Canadian Mist, a.k.a. the cheap piss-whiskey I took straight from the bottle in my college days.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 954
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
 

Well, I mean, it's not terrible (okay, it's pretty terrible), but yeah, it basically is just cheap liquor. The hilarious thing is that I'm almost entirely positive that's it's pretty difficult to come by Alberta Premium OUTSIDE of Alberta, and that show takes place is fucking Nova Scotia. So where the hell is he getting the car loads of Alberta Premium from? *laughs*

Jesus, Canadian Mist. *laughs* Haven't had a sip of that stuff in years, and thank fuck for that. There's this stuff called Black Velve Also, Crown Royal is a Canadian whiskey, not sure if you've ever partaken in it, just assuming you have. *laughs*
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:55 pm 
 

Oh, I've had CR and BV, for sure...but Canadian Mist remains in my mind as the worst. A bottle of that led to a most enjoyable incident in Denver 4 years ago in which I stumbled out of a nightclub and passed out under a car in an alleyway for the night. The fact that I forgot the lack of oxygen in the high altitude makes alcohol hit you faster didn't exactly help. Two years later CM was also involved in a group decision to hurl my friend's coffee table off his second-floor balcony (we made sure there was no one below us first; we weren't entirely daft. :lol:)

But to speak of the comparative sanity of the present day, I'm looking into grabbing some Laphroiag Cask Strength with tomorrow's paycheck. Will post back with my impressions.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 954
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:13 pm 
 

Yeah, Canadian Mist will do that kind of stuff to you. Hahaha.

Yeah, let me know how that stuff is. I'm thinking of grabbing some myself.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:35 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
No no, I want to know what "Especially" you meant...

Especially if it is not one of the following: Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin (because I tried all of those. All this whisky talk makes me want to have a dram right now!)

The photo gives me an idea, I'm going to try and photograph my whisky collection - which will not just include Scotch but Irish, bourbon, Japanese, French and Pennsylvania Rye whiskies.


BenRiach Curiositas, BenRiach Authenticus and Benriach Arumaticus Fumosus, the ones I have in the picture are a must-purchase. Oh, to the Whisky enjoyers here, Sláinte!

Image
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2147
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:20 pm 
 

Image
Bought a bottle of this virginal Ardmore yesterday. I'd gone to the store with a list of Springbank and a couple other things from this thread, but they were all out. My brother had mentioned Ardmore a while back, so I picked it up. Glad I did, too. I took it and a bunch of my tasting glasses to a dinner party where we were going to have an impromptu whiskey tasting. It sat in state with a Laphroaig 10yr., a couple bourbons (Jefferson, Single Barrel 120 proof Knob Creek -ouch-, Blanton's which I hadn't seen in a couple years), and Whistle Pig rye.

Even in its vestal, unaged state this Ardmore was my favorite on the table. The Laphroaig 10yr had the best nose by far, and I did the most huffing of that one, but none of the palettes really compared to the scotches. I'm pretty new to scotch, so I can't do much in depth reviewing, but peat is easily one of my favorite flavors. This Ardmore was lighter in general than Laphroaig, but was better balanced over all, and very smooth. Easy to drink, and easy to linger over. I like that in a beverage. That Knob Creek, though, was almost undrinkable. Once I put some water in it, I could actually taste it. Honestly I couldn't see the appeal. Bourbon-y moonshine. blech. I did like the Whistle Pig, though. Ryes are definitely a style I need to try more of.

The dinner party basically confirmed that I like scotch better than bourbon. Scotland pretty much steam rolls Kentucky. I can linger over a glass of scotch for close to an hour, snacking and chatting, even ones as comparatively unimpressive as these two. With the bourbons (even one as delicious as Blanton's and Jefferson wasn't half bad), while the flavors may be fine, nothing really changes as time goes on, and I end up downing it to clear the glass for something new. Scotch definitely evolves as it waits. Luckily I had a three-glass flight in front of me, so I could make room. What I should have done is lightly sampled the bourbons (for science) and then filled three glasses with two scotches and called it a night.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 pm 
 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
The dinner party basically confirmed that I like scotch better than bourbon. Scotland pretty much steam rolls Kentucky.


This. Good bourbon is great and I would never refuse it (thinking of adding some bottles of Eagle Rare and Bulleit Rye to my shelf soon...so you know I'm not lying), but scotch really does walk all over anything from Kentucky in terms of complexity and depth.

Ardmore is great! And speaking of affordable scotches, if you're looking for another awesome scotch in a different style and an even lower price range than Ardmore, check out the anCnoc 12. It's a very nice Speyside and if you're in the mood for something on the lighter side it's a fantastic choice. Really fruity, grassy, with a dry edge, sweet but not dumbed down - essentially the scotch equivalent of a delicious white wine.

Image
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm 
 

Also, to The Ardbeg Wizard: You mentioned you had a quite favorable experience with Longrow CV. Did you find it as mezcal-like as I've read it is? I have to say that sounds really interesting, but by the same token would be wondering if it were better to just buy mezcal instead. Research, research.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:55 pm 
 

Got around to the quarter cask today. Very interesting flavor - I read reviews saying it was a bit sweeter and was hesitant at first, as I love that salty, smoky Laphroiag 10-year flavor. But I liked it quite a bit. Starts off sweeter indeed, almost coconut-like, then the trademark Laphroiag bite comes in with a vengeance. Finishes slightly sweeter as well. I'd say this falls between the 10-year and Ardbeg in terms of Islay, though I still like all three very closely overall.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:21 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Also, to The Ardbeg Wizard: You mentioned you had a quite favorable experience with Longrow CV. Did you find it as mezcal-like as I've read it is? I have to say that sounds really interesting, but by the same token would be wondering if it were better to just buy mezcal instead. Research, research.


Well, it might have some hints, but I definitely would not say it's overpowering. If you like a good dram that suits with the current shitty, rainy weather, then this is a very good purchase.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2147
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:27 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
(thinking of adding some bottles of Eagle Rare and Bulleit Rye to my shelf soon...

Never seen Eagle Rare. I find Bulleit's rye similar to their bourbon in that they pass the requisites, but they're both a sour miss for me. Though a lemon twist and some ice can change that.
Alternatives that come to mind are Rittenhouse or Old Overholt is comparably priced to the Bulleit Rye.. at least here, comes in a bigger, more tasteful bottle, and is more fun to drink.

Under_Starmere wrote:
- essentially the scotch equivalent of a delicious white wine.
*sexy bottle shot*

Sounds awesome. I'll definitely look for this. The mutual orbiter and I were talking about including Scotland distillery tastings in a vacation .. in some kind of abstract future wherein I have money.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 pm 
 

Has anyone here tried Tallisker? The liquor store manager here recommended some after I bought my Quarter Cask over the weekend; said it had a very unusual flavor with a taste of black pepper.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2211
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm 
 

Talisker is a good single malt from the Isle of Skye. It's the first whisky I tried that was peated and smoky. I first had it at a hockey game when they would sometimes have some single malts at the bar, which also included Oban. It's not as smoky as Laphroaig or Ardbeg, but it's got a decent kick to it. Judging by the layer of dust on the empty bottle, it's one I haven't had in a long while though.

I definitely recommend it if you like peaty whiskies!
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
Talisker is a good single malt from the Isle of Skye. It's the first whisky I tried that was peated and smoky. I first had it at a hockey game when they would sometimes have some single malts at the bar, which also included Oban. It's not as smoky as Laphroaig or Ardbeg, but it's got a decent kick to it. Judging by the layer of dust on the empty bottle, it's one I haven't had in a long while though.

I definitely recommend it if you like peaty whiskies!


Really depends on what Talisker you're referring to, since then 10 yrs might be slightly smoky and peaty but far from one of the first I'd recommend to someone who likes peaty Whiskies. I'd recommend it as a rainy day, stormy day Whisky. Peppery, slightly salty, light peat and smoke, seawead. It's a real seaside Whisky and a great one.
Oban is more orange hinted, bit salty and slightly smoky and peaty as well, but very smooth.

If I can recommend a Single Malt to peat and smoke freaks, I'd like to recommend to try to find the Caol Ila Natural Cask strength. I do recommend it to people who've had a Laphroaig and/or Ardbeg before. Needs to be watered down with a splash in order to get the oily hints out. If not, it's very similar to the Caol Ila 12, but way more in your face. It packs a damn good punch.

Besides that: The most interesting bottle I've ever bought and probably the best purchase: the Blackadder Peat Reek. If you come across this one, buy it immediately.

http://www.blackadder.nu/newidx.php?page=productpeatreek&site=INT
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm 
 

Talisker 10 isn't so much specifically peaty as a really robust blend of different savory notes (olive, leather, salt, smoke) with deep oaky sweetness. It's a great whisky but something about it feels a bit cloying for me after many glasses over the weeks. I'd say try a glass of it first and see what you think. Taken occasionally it can be a real knockout but if you're looking for something more consistent - a daily go-to dram - I'd suggest spending that money elsewhere.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Talisker 10 isn't so much specifically peaty as a really robust blend of different savory notes (olive, leather, salt, smoke) with deep oaky sweetness. It's a great whisky but something about it feels a bit cloying for me after many glasses over the weeks. I'd say try a glass of it first and see what you think. Taken occasionally it can be a real knockout but if you're looking for something more consistent - a daily go-to dram - I'd suggest spending that money elsewhere.


I never had that ever, but hey, that's the beauty of Whisky. To each his/her own.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm 
 

Yes, palates do have their preferences! Don't get me wrong, though, Talisker is damn fine stuff, it's just if I could only buy one (clearly in some theoretical, scotch-starved hellworld) I'd probably invest in something else simply because Talisker doesn't strike me as as much of a go-to whisky as some others. Mostly due to its olive-y character, it's more of a mood-specific dram for me. But then that's the beauty of having a range of bottles on the shelf, you're free to indulge those moods.

In closing: If you have the budget for it, indulge!
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Yes, palates do have their preferences! Don't get me wrong, though, Talisker is damn fine stuff, it's just if I could only buy one (clearly in some theoretical, scotch-starved hellworld) I'd probably invest in something else simply because Talisker doesn't strike me as as much of a go-to whisky as some others. Mostly due to its olive-y character, it's more of a mood-specific dram for me. But then that's the beauty of having a range of bottles on the shelf, you're free to indulge those moods.

In closing: If you have the budget for it, indulge!


So, have you drank the BenRiach Curiositas? I think that might be to your liking.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
 

I haven't, but I'd like to! Unfortunately I've been a bit hampered in my scotch journey recently by financial limitations, but I will try to select a glass at the very least, when I get a chance. In my investigations I've also been trying to experience a fairly wide range, not getting too wrapped up in the peat-heavy scotches but rather casting a wider net to gain more holistic perspective on The Ambrosial Malt.

It's my birthday this weekend, and as a part of that I'm going to taste a range of four or five glasses at a really well-stocked whisky bar here in NY. I'll be taking the opportunity to not only try some new things but audition a few whiskies with a view toward what bottles I might buy next. So far the tasting I've set up for myself will be (in this order):

1. Hakushu 12
2. Tobermory 10
3. Clynelish 14
4. Lagavulin 16

And I'll try to sneak in one more if I can, probably an Ardbeg 10 or Uigeadail :thumbsup: Hell, if they're lenient enough I'll try and have a wee taste of whatever I can...

Have you tried Ledaig 10, ArdWiz? And would you recommend any particular bottles from Bruichladdich? I've only ever tried the Rocks and I believe the Port Charlotte PC7, but that was years ago, before I really knew what was what. Rocks I thought was pretty good but nothing amazing.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I haven't, but I'd like to! Unfortunately I've been a bit hampered in my scotch journey recently by financial limitations, but I will try to select a glass at the very least, when I get a chance. In my investigations I've also been trying to experience a fairly wide range, not getting too wrapped up in the peat-heavy scotches but rather casting a wider net to gain more holistic perspective on The Ambrosial Malt.

It's my birthday this weekend, and as a part of that I'm going to taste a range of four or five glasses at a really well-stocked whisky bar here in NY. I'll be taking the opportunity to not only try some new things but audition a few whiskies with a view toward what bottles I might buy next. So far the tasting I've set up for myself will be (in this order):

1. Hakushu 12
2. Tobermory 10
3. Clynelish 14
4. Lagavulin 16

And I'll try to sneak in one more if I can, probably an Ardbeg 10 or Uigeadail :thumbsup: Hell, if they're lenient enough I'll try and have a wee taste of whatever I can...

Have you tried Ledaig 10, ArdWiz? And would you recommend any particular bottles from Bruichladdich? I've only ever tried the Rocks and I believe the Port Charlotte PC7, but that was years ago, before I really knew what was what. Rocks I thought was pretty good but nothing amazing.


Personally, I'd say the Bruichladdich Peat. I'm not too much of a Bruichladdich man, but hey, this is the one that I liked the most.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Evangelion2014
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 2:59 am
Posts: 437
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm 
 

Until recently, I've been mostly a beer person, but I'm starting to branch out into brandy and hopefully whiskey next. The only things I've had are Tullamore dew and Glenlivet 12. Tullamore dew was ok but wasn't the biggest fan of the spice notes combined with the heat and the lighter body. Glenlivet 12 was good but was a little too smooth for my taste and I wish the grain taste was a bit more aggressive. So people know a rich rye whiskey single malt scotch and bourbon? I heard bulliet rye has a very strong rye taste which interests me, and I'm looking for a scotch a lot bolder than Glenlivet.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2147
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:05 pm 
 

Coming to the bottom of my bottle of Ardmore. It's a sad fucking thing. Each pour gets smaller and smaller, I spend more and more time with my nose in the snifter, takes me longer and longer to finish, and the taste is only getting better. Periodically I'll be walking around at work and I'll think I can smell it. It's like catching a whiff of a recently-departed lover's perfume. :aww:

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
 

I suppose, in this case, money can buy you love. Though you should probably cheat on Ardmore a few times before settling down again.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:01 pm 
 

So I was just able to restock my scotch shelf for my birthday. It now consists of these three gentlemen:

Image

Image

Image

Though I always like trying new things when buying fresh stock, this time I couldn't resist the Springbank. It's such good stuff. As I've never had bottles of Ardbeg or Hakushu here at home, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they develop with oxidation. Expecting good things! Particularly interested to see how it'll affect the Ardbeg. So far I'd have to say that Caol Ila is my favored Islay scotch (of the 10-12 year offerings), but I did notice that after a lot of oxidation the smoky character wore off a bit, and the last few glasses that I'd been saving ended up lacking that sweet cigarette smoke aftertaste that made the rest of the bottle so delicious. On the flipside, Laphroaig benefited from oxidation, the minerally character dampening down a bit as the bottle wore on and the whole smoothing out a fair bit. Still wouldn't list Laphroaig 10 as one of my favorites or anything, but it definitely improved. Curious to see how Ardbeg will develop as it occupies kind of a balanced middle ground between Caol Ila and Laphroaig.

From my four-scotch tasting last week, I'd have to say that Clynelish 14 is easily the grassiest scotch I've ever tasted. The influence of GRASSY NOTES on the finish is really pronounced and possibly even too much, but it's pretty unique due to that quality. Definitely a bit more individualized than scotches with the emphasis on peat, for example. It's not often grass gets the highlight, so that was quite interesting. The Hakushu 12 definitely has some prominent grassy notes on the finish, though not as heavily. Sweet on the front end, grassy/peppery on the finish. Good stuff, I'm definitely curious to see how it'll age.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2147
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:48 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I suppose, in this case, money can buy you love. Though you should probably cheat on Ardmore a few times before settling down again.

She was definitely good. It wasn't meant to last, though. Both of us wanted other things. I'll learn from the experience. I think we took it too fast. It didn't have time to really bloom and change into something we could both appreciate. We just kind of couldn't get enough of each other and I think it's for the best. It was good while it lasted.

Those three gents you're having over look delightful. I've no idea what to expect from Japanese whiskey. And I haven't gotten to try Springbank yet, which chafes .. deeply.

+ something I learned at bar training the other day is that an odd coincidence is that countries with an E in their name tend to spell whiskey with the ending e. Countries that don't have the e spell it "ky." I haven't looked into whether that's entirely true, but of the places he could think of, it was true. Scotland, Canada, Japan: whisky. America, Ireland: Whiskey. :???:

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
So I was just able to restock my scotch shelf for my birthday. It now consists of these three gentlemen:

Image

Image

Image

Though I always like trying new things when buying fresh stock, this time I couldn't resist the Springbank. It's such good stuff. As I've never had bottles of Ardbeg or Hakushu here at home, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they develop with oxidation. Expecting good things! Particularly interested to see how it'll affect the Ardbeg. So far I'd have to say that Caol Ila is my favored Islay scotch (of the 10-12 year offerings), but I did notice that after a lot of oxidation the smoky character wore off a bit, and the last few glasses that I'd been saving ended up lacking that sweet cigarette smoke aftertaste that made the rest of the bottle so delicious. On the flipside, Laphroaig benefited from oxidation, the minerally character dampening down a bit as the bottle wore on and the whole smoothing out a fair bit. Still wouldn't list Laphroaig 10 as one of my favorites or anything, but it definitely improved. Curious to see how Ardbeg will develop as it occupies kind of a balanced middle ground between Caol Ila and Laphroaig.

From my four-scotch tasting last week, I'd have to say that Clynelish 14 is easily the grassiest scotch I've ever tasted. The influence of GRASSY NOTES on the finish is really pronounced and possibly even too much, but it's pretty unique due to that quality. Definitely a bit more individualized than scotches with the emphasis on peat, for example. It's not often grass gets the highlight, so that was quite interesting. The Hakushu 12 definitely has some prominent grassy notes on the finish, though not as heavily. Sweet on the front end, grassy/peppery on the finish. Good stuff, I'm definitely curious to see how it'll age.


Good selection, definitely! Personally, I prefer the Springbank 15. Have you tried it? I recommend it strongly.
_________________
The Power Of The Riff Compels you!

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 2571
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
 

Welp, finished the Quarter Cask and looking to try something new. Since I've been trying a lot of Islays lately I'd like to take a quick break into a different variety. What would people here recommend for something with a more traditionally woody/oaky flavor? The last thing I had along that line (before I was buying scotch on my own) was Glenfiddich, but I've heard that get middling reviews from experienced scotch drinkers.
_________________
henkkjelle on the Dutch wrote:
Actually we have a extra set of appendages protruding out of our lower ribs especially designed for rummaging through our poop. Newborns that do not possess these appendages are thrown of a mountain.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkeningday, hots_towel, Kahalachan and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group