Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MyrVarg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:36 am 

Quote:
Guns N’ Roses, with founding members Axl Rose and Slash, will headline the Coachella Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., set for April 15-17 and April 22-24, according to multiple sources. The reunited band is also negotiating with promoters to play as many as 25 football stadiums in North America in the summer of 2016, and is scheduled to be one of the first acts to play the new Las Vegas Arena, set to open April 6. Guns N' Roses is said to be asking as much as $3 million per show, with tickets topping out in the $250-$275 range.

More here;

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6828129/guns-n-roses-reunion-coachella-stadium-las-vegas

I just wanted to say have fun paying up to $275 to see performances of this caliber live but with Slash.

Youtube: show

Youtube: show

GNR had their chance to be something special but they pissed it all away... well Axl ruined it more than anything but I expect him to probably ruin it again by being 3 hours late to shows, putting on sucky performances, and I can definitely see him going back to his douchey antics ultimately causing Slash or whoever else returns to hate him again by the end of the tour. It will probably end a lot how the KISS reunion with Peter and Ace ended, with the same problems returning (egos, substance abuse, etc) and killing the band all over again.

GNR is irrelevant and washed up now, they definitely do not have the allure of being the 'most dangerous live' band like they did in their heyday. I doubt any of those football stadiums will sell out but there are always those old people who can't let go of the past who may gobble up the tickets along with kids who just want to boast about saying they saw the original GNR live so who knows? Maybe it will generate a lot of cash. Really not worth it in my opinion, there are countless newer bands (that are also way more cheap to see live) that are more exciting that could use the support over GNR.

That's my two cents, what do you think of the reunion?

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 am 

Not only is that really bad timing to announce it, but at those prices, they need ALL of the original members, not three at most.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 am 

Gross.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:58 pm 

Chinese Democracy is one of the best albums ever made.

Cold Blank Stare

Coagulated Blood

Festivus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 pm 

This would have been cool like 10-15 years ago.

FirebathDan wrote:

Dunno if you're being serious or not... but nevertheless, it's an underrated album and I'd rather listen to it than to any other GNR album nowadays. Used to like GNR a lot when I began seriously getting into music, but don't really care much about them nowadays.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:05 am 

Festivus wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

Dunno if you're being serious or not... but nevertheless, it's an underrated album and I'd rather listen to it than to any other GNR album nowadays. Used to like GNR a lot when I began seriously getting into music, but don't really care much about them nowadays.

100% deadpan, bro.

Maybe it's hyperbolic to say one of the best ever, but easily the best GnR record. The only GnR record I own on vinyl.

As for the topic at hand, despite GnR being formative for me in my youth (first time I ever heard curse words in music-my first foray into more "adult" music) and my general high praise for this band on the record (ChiDem and the Illusions are among the best recorded music), I would never go see this band live, not in 1991, not in 2015, regardless of who's in the lineup.

I'm not putting down $100-300 to sit around for hours on end after the opening band, only for Axl to throw a fit over something and kill the show after 5 songs (sometimes warranted e.g. when objects are thrown) or how he kind of just sucks live these days (he's always been hit or miss live). I know that when they're on, they're on and you get a solid 3-4 hours of career spanning entertainment, but I am just too old, ornery, impatient, and cheap for that.

That said,

FirebathDan wrote:

Cold Blank Stare

Coagulated Blood

Festivus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:00 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

100% deadpan, bro.

Maybe it's hyperbolic to say one of the best ever, but easily the best GnR record. The only GnR record I own on vinyl.

As for the topic at hand, despite GnR being formative for me in my youth (first time I ever heard curse words in music-my first foray into more "adult" music) and my general high praise for this band on the record (ChiDem and the Illusions are among the best recorded music), I would never go see this band live, not in 1991, not in 2015, regardless of who's in the lineup.

I'm not putting down $100-300 to sit around for hours on end after the opening band, only for Axl to throw a fit over something and kill the show after 5 songs (sometimes warranted e.g. when objects are thrown) or how he kind of just sucks live these days (he's always been hit or miss live). I know that when they're on, they're on and you get a solid 3-4 hours of career spanning entertainment, but I am just too old, ornery, impatient, and cheap for that.

That said,

FirebathDan wrote:

I think a lot of people got into GNR as teenagers when they began getting interested in music. Not just rock fans but many metal ones as well, at least from my observation.

I still like GNR's more aggressive songs despite Axl's voice grating my nerves occasionally. What I really don't like are their sappy ballads. Sweet Child O Mine is fine instrumentally wise, but the lyrics and Axl's voice ugh. Appetite is still a pretty solid rock album, regardless. Lies is hit and miss. I kinda forget it exists, tbh. It seems to lack some flavor/personality, dunno. Use Your Illusion I is good for the most part, I guess. Don't care about UYI II except for like two songs and the Spaghetti Incident(was that a Calvin & Hobbes reference?) seems pointless.

Chinese Democracy is a pretty solid album. But it's not really GNR anyways. And I can see why people have been disappointed by it since there was no need to take 15 years to make it.

I'd never see them live nowadays either. Maybe in their prime if I could travel in time and know it'd be a great show.

Btw, I remember almost a decade ago Velvet Revolver coming here and cancelling their concert near its date. Classmates of mine and other people who had tickets for the show were pretty pissed off about it and I recall a couple even stating "these guys are EVEN WORSE than Axl in this aspect!".

Juan Quevedo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 am 

I think most of us have been touched by Guns'n Roses' music at some pint of our lives. I think most of us have some attached feelings and moments to certain songs. Now when they announce the reunion, I can see many of us be delighted by the news. But we need to take into account that they aren't the teenagers they used to be anymore. Ageing doesn't come alone, there're many important physical aspects to take into account. By the age the voices, movements and performances in general. But I think it's going to happen like it did with Star Wars on its last movie; most of us enjoyed the movie by the fact that it moved our feelings and touched those emotions we had at the time we saw the movies. The only thing I say is that if they decided to regroup the band and stand in that way It'd be awesome. I just wanna express how nostalgic this news can be. It is awesome and unbelievable we can witness that kind of event.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 am 

Sounds like some people want a new house/car combo.

Oh, I stopped following Gandhi's career since he left Gorgoroth.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:50 pm 

MyrVarg wrote:
I doubt any of those football stadiums will sell out...

Everything will sell with massive marketing.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:44 am 

This is absolutely no different to the vast array of recent metal reformations, most of which were accompanied to various degrees of fanboyism in these parts.

I saw GNR, well, Axl and friends back on 2007 and I was pleasantly surprised that he could actually still belt it out. Around the time, there were these horrible videos floating around which showed him destroying songs such as You Could Be Mine. I thought it'd be an average show, and as such, I was pleasantly surprised. I'd happily see the band again. Also, living in Australia, we're kinda used to paying extortionist fees for touring bands.

On the Slash thing, I know that DJ Ashba has recently left the band, and I wonder if Slash rejoining is just a tour thing, or if it's permanent?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:45 am 

I like that song of theirs, I Used To Love Her (But I Had To Kill Her).
Yep. Really nice song.

tomcat_ha wrote:
the whole fps genre suffers from pewpewification

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:26 am 

Would be hilarious and awesome if Sebastian Bach opened for them, with Steven Adler on drums, Izzy on guitar, along, Nikki and Mick on bass and guitar.
Or more realistically, if "Skid Row" got their heads out of their asses and got Bach back.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:16 pm 

From the moment GN'R released Chinese Democracy I have always been vocal about how much I like that album. I guess to counterbalance all the negativity it got upon its release. I think many disregarded it because of the circumstances rather than based on the music. It sounds like a natural follow up to the Use Your Illusion albums.

Furthermore the GN'R incarnation, of say the last ten years, have mostly been pretty awesome musically. The guitar players they've attracted have been awesome which really reflects on Chinese Democracy. I also love how they've been really open with using ex members as guests. Duff and Izzy both has been doing gigs with GN'R every now and then for years now.

I love classic GN'R as much as anyone but I think many are putting to much value into Slash being back. He sure coloured the songs with his style but it was really Izzy that was the song writing brains. I don't care for Adler though. He's a mess-up and I'm not sure he could handle the back catalogue as he perhaps should. I love Duff back, he was my inspiration when I started playing bass. But that a personal thing.

And again, everyone talks about the original line-up getting back together while everyone means the classic line-up. Original means first and the people who recorded Appetite for Destruction weren't all in the band from the start.

Edit: As far as the live performances GN'R was always hit or miss. Sometimes they were awesome and sometimes they were the pits. That has been the case since the beginning. I saw them after the release of Chinese Democracy and it was great and after that I've seen clips like the ones in the original post on the same tour. They just never were consistent.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:32 pm 

Axl had all the potential in the world to make the New GNR a real success. He had fucking Buckethead and Bumblefoot, two virtuoso guitarists in the band and from all accounts was ready to take on the world again. For whatever reason it never happened and one by one his guys left because CD was not being released. Axl deserves all the blame for the fuck up that was 2001-2014.

I just hope he doesn't take anything for granted this time and realizes that this is his last shot at glory.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
I just hope he doesn't take anything for granted this time and realizes that this is his last shot at glory.
That's a lot of confidence in a burnt out diva. Of course he's going to fuck up.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:37 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Axl had all the potential in the world to make the New GNR a real success. He had fucking Buckethead and Bumblefoot, two virtuoso guitarists in the band and from all accounts was ready to take on the world again. For whatever reason it never happened and one by one his guys left because CD was not being released. Axl deserves all the blame for the fuck up that was 2001-2014.

Because he has no idea what glory is.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Juan Quevedo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:37 pm 

So everything that we had in our minds has just been fucked up by the biggest Diva in the world. I cannot imagine how can someone not see the great moment it's to make a great reunion and break the whole world with their music. I cannot see how is it possible they play with the expectations of the fans that followed them when they shined, and supported them when they decided to quite trying. Everything is left, is to take all the enthusiasm and take it up the ass. It's incredible, at the end, that we believed in all the bullyshit they said.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:22 pm 

I'm going remain optimistic that this reunion/regrouping goes well and we get new music out of it. Slash and Duff's rightful places are in GNR so lets see how it all goes down.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Reply to topic