Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm 

I've noticed quite a number of zines all over the MA place... I'm talking about physical monthly ordered magazines, not webzines, neccesairly.

I dunno if there was another thread like this, but if there is, would be nice of anyone to point me in the right direction and lock this thread.
I'm mostly asking because I've always wanted to subscribe to a reliable and cool zine, mostly in the Black/Death universe (I've seen too many Heavy/thrash-only ones.

This isn't just a thread for helping me find a good subscription, but post your favorites on here too!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 pm 

Terrorizer, I still sometimes read - they've got some reasonable black/death metal coverage, and they're still reasonably metal-focused.

Zero Tolerance is a magazine I get a lot out of - they cover, I'd say, a disproportionately high quantity of black-metal, but they've got a bit of everything, and seem to have an excellent ability to have atleast one band I love per issue.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 pm 

I dug Terrorizer when I could find it. I liked that they would include a sampler CD with the magazine. Now granted, out of the 15 or 16 bands on it, I might only discover one or two I liked, but I did discover a lot of cool bands this way. Plus the interviews and reviews were usually pretty good.

It's getting harder to find that magazine around my local record store, though. I think the store got pissed and quit carrying it because people would rip off the sampler CD without paying for the magazine.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am 

Yeah, Terrorizer is pretty good; I am quite fond of their sampler CDs as well, having discovered a lot of awesome bands there over the years. It's probably one of the last 'big' (that is, properly and somewhat expensively produced, in the style of a decent mainstream mag) physical metal zines that devotes a decent amount and depth of coverage to death and black; actually, one thing I still really like about Terrorizer is its sheer diversity, which not only increases the chance of finding somethign interesting, but can offer useful updates on unfamiliar subgenres.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Terrorizer, I still sometimes read - they've got some reasonable black/death metal coverage, and they're still reasonably metal-focused.

Zero Tolerance is a magazine I get a lot out of - they cover, I'd say, a disproportionately high quantity of black-metal, but they've got a bit of everything, and seem to have an excellent ability to have atleast one band I love per issue.

Basically this. The only two I read. Zero Tolerance usually has a massive amount of content. The writing is super tiny though, which pisses me off.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm 

Never been into metal zines. Got a few for christmas one year (although I forget the names), I enjoyed them well enough but never subscribed to them. Anyone used to read Profane Existence? Its a crust punk (which has a lot of overlap with metal) magazine that is no longer published in print, with them choosing to turn into a web-zine. It had some really great interviews, featured cool artists, had interesting columns and came with a CD. Its a shame their not still doing it, the web thing just isn't the same for me.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm 

I have a subscription to Terrorizer, I frickin' love it. It's thanks to Terrorizer I discovered Enforcer, Winterfylleth, Fleshgod Apocalypse; it's all good. I read Metal Hammer too, but I haven't subscribed.

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:49 pm 

I just read webzines these days but back in the day I liked Metal Maniacs (up until they changed their staff in the early 2000s). Symposium was a good one too. Worm Gear was cool and I also liked Riot from the UK (even though it was more of a punk zine).

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 pm 

terrorizer is amazing when i can find one, and with the cd still there, found alot of amazing artist on the cd, most notably fen, which got me into neo folk, shogaze, post black, and even post rock. it came with an awesome kylesa/electric wizard/watain poster, at first i wasnt into any of those bands, but i eventually started to like watain a little, and then i got really into kylesa, so now i have that side up. other than that decibel is a decent magazine to have, and for a reasonable price, i want to subscribe just for the free 7"LP

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 am 

Thanks guys, Zero Tolerance is probably one I'm gonna look at... Terrorizer seems to cover too many bands I really don't care for, haha.

By Black Metal, I hope you mean more things than just too-kvlt-4-u norwegian black metal.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 am 

Quote:
By Black Metal, I hope you mean more things than just too-kvlt-4-u norwegian black metal.

Zero Tolerence literally have a (regular?) feature called "Underground black-metal" I think - they don't limit themselves to the kvlt though. They had a really good Wodensthrone interview in the one I last bought.

I plan to subscribe when I get a more permanent address - the downside is that they only release 6 issues per year.

MetalDevastator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 am 

For me Decibel is the best metal magazine out there. I've been a decibel subscriber for about 2 years now. Decibel does a great job of covering bands from every genre of metal and really digs deep to find interesting bands. It's great to find a metal magazine that doesn't rehash the same bands every other issue. Plus you get a free 7" LP every issue. They only have one song, but their usually exclusive ones.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm 

I was a regular subscriber since issue #1 to The Grimoire of Exalted Deeds way back when. It was pretty good for the time. Have not found a zine since that really interested me.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm 

Really? Terrorizer was good when I used to read it (96-2000 ish), but god its utter garbage now. Zero Tolerance is great though.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm 

I really dig those old metal zines. You know, the ones that cover some obscure black and death metal bands from a decade or two ago. I seem to find a lot of good stuff in those. I've been liking the slayer mag so far. I really only pick it up when I'm in a down time mode, sort of. I get a cup of coffee and maybe read a zine or two. They're good stuff. It'd be cool if they still made zines that covered underground bands and stuff, bands that would be interesting to me. I supposed they do and I just don't know about them.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm 

I'll buy an issue of Terrorizer from a newsstand or a record store or Barnes & Noble sometimes; that magazine is widely available, but I haven't gotten a copy in over a year. They're a good read, some of the articles have a dry sense of humour so they hold your attention.

I've gotten Metal Hammer a couple of times, and that's definitely a lot more mainstream, but the presentation is really glossy and pretty (coming at a higher price). The issues I've gotten came in a cardboard envelope-type thing with some silly extras like stickers and posters, and they costed $14.99 newsstand price. I didn't buy Metal Hammer as much as Terrorizer because number one: they're expensive; number two: the mainstream news didn't interest me; and number three: the humour in the articles was overdone and just didn't amuse me. It became apparent nothing noteworthy was to be said and the words were just filler in most of the articles.

I subscribed to Decibel for a year as of two weeks ago, based purely on their good reputation. Oh, and the flexi disc that comes with each issue. It was also really afforadble ($24.99 for a year maybe?). Hopefully that will be good, I'll get my first issue in the mail next month.

They're not a monthly publication but I also read Chips & Beer Magazine. Fantastic articles, artwork, and toilet humour if you're into that. It's got an old school presentation and you can totally tell the writers behind the mag are into it and they showcase great bands.

Edit: I should also give a mention to a little publication called "Overgrown Tomb Zine." It's a really short read written by one guy in Pennsylvania. He interviews and mentions local bands and new, underground bands that he likes. It's got a basic layout and some typos and inconsistencies here and there but I've had a subscription since day one and I've found some great music (that I wouldn't have heard otherwise) thanks to him. It's free, too. He does it out of his pocket as a hobby.

Reply to topic