Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:25 am 

Since The Force Awakens is out in less than 2 week, I've decided to make this thread since I'm sure I'm not the only Star Wars fan here! The most expected movie of the year which already got 50 million in advance tickets deserves its own thread! I just can't wait and I feel like a kid. I remember going to see Revenge of the Sith when it came out with my best friend (I was in high school) and we got tickets for this new episode for the 18th.

Share your expectations, theories or excitement here!

Some posters:
Spoiler: show

The last trailer and one of the TV spots:
Youtube: show

Youtube: show

My main theory:
After VI, the jedi knight turned master and sole force user in the galaxy decided to create his academy. And after let's say a decade, everything goes well, he's training kids and shit but one day, one of the students (Han and Leia's son, Ren) turns to the dark side due to his obsession with his grand father (this obsession has been proven by the trailer, Kylo Ren has Darth Vader's helmet) and forms his own troop, the Knights of Ren. This cult destroys the academy and Luke exiles himself out of disgrace. Due to that, Han and Leia decides to hide the younger daughter sister of Ren on a desert planet (shitty parenting? dunno!). One day, they hear about the old Anakin lightsaber (the one Obi Wan gave to Luke and lost after his duel with his father on Bespin) and there's a chase between General Organa (yep, confirmed) and the First Order to retrieve the saber. This is what starts the movie.

"There has been an awakening, have you felt it?"

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:52 am 

"The Force... it is calling you."

Yeah I'm stoked after the horror of the prequels, only slightly redeemed by Revenge of the Sith. I'm nowhere near the SW nerd my cousin is, but it's a joy to look forward to this. BTW, never seen that elderly Carrie Fisher/Leia with lightsabre photo, that's hot.

Dunno about the "academy" routine, but yeah, I reckon Mr NotDarth EvilChristian (Ren or whatever) and new sexy female lead girl are the twins of Han and Leia, representing the lovely duality that makes super trashy space dramas so watchable. I really hope Fisher and Ford manage to carry over the excellent "tension" dynamic that pretty much sold the whole gunslingers-in-space genre in the first place, yes, even as old fogies. Whatever, I really don't give a shit, as long as it makes me feel like a gobsmacked young kid again instead of nearly vomiting in dissappointment like I did watching Attack of the CGI.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I hope Abrams studied up on Joseph Campbell and keeps his lens-flares to a minimum.

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:10 am 

Ok I'm geeking pretty fucking hard over this movie not going to lie. Honestly I have no idea what to expect and I'm trying to distance myself from all talk about the plot just so I can be completely open and without expectations for opening night.

That being said I don't believe Luke will be playing an integral role in this episode. I think he will only be referred to and shown in memories and maybe a few small scenes of his own. I think he will be a major player in the new series (assuming that three movies are made) but for this film in particular I think he'll be shrouded in mystery.

And yeah that picture of Carrie Fisher is fucking hot. She really turned it around to reprise her role for these movies.

Margaret Atwood wrote:
War is what happens when language fails.

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:11 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:
"BTW, never seen that elderly Carrie Fisher/Leia with lightsabre photo, that's hot..

Unfortunately not a lightsaber, it's some sort of grid, she's in a conference room with many screens! I don't think she has a lightsaber or was trained as a jedi but it would be cool if it was the case. Ford recently answered some questions and said that the duel between Rey and Ren was cool, with him always trolling it's hard to know what's true or not though! I think Rey has a double blade lightsaber or will have one! I think Finn having a lightsaber is a misdirection and he's not actually a jedi!

Something like that:

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
And yeah that picture of Carrie Fisher is fucking hot.

Innit? It's my new facebook profile picture, as we have some idea how hot chain smoking ex-drugfucked old space princesses really are. In case you don't know what facebook is, it's a website where I have no friends and I only let my family be my friends, basically so I can write weirder shit than I do here and they all laugh because they know me.

Also, can Ren please have wiped out the Gungans in some kind of Alderaan incident? Pleeeeese?

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:18 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Ok I'm geeking pretty fucking hard over this movie not going to lie. Honestly I have no idea what to expect and I'm trying to distance myself from all talk about the plot just so I can be completely open and without expectations for opening night.

That being said I don't believe Luke will be playing an integral role in this episode. I think he will only be referred to and shown in memories and maybe a few small scenes of his own. I think he will be a major player in the new series (assuming that three movies are made) but for this film in particular I think he'll be shrouded in mystery.

And yeah that picture of Carrie Fisher is fucking hot. She really turned it around to reprise her role for these movies.

Assuming? It's been announced that it's a new trilogy and I'm pretty sure they won't have any money issues lol, this movie will probably break the records!

Good point about Luke. One of the best thing I've heard is that each of the movie will be about one of the old main characters or will focus them more than the others. TFA would be more about Han Solo, while the other two could be about Leia and Luke. But I believe they'll balance it well with the new trio of protagonists with Rey (Skywalker?) , Finn (Calrissian?) and Poe Dameron.

There's been rumours that they got an actor who looks like young Mark Hamill to play a flashback so there's that.

My Facebook pic is currently Max Rebo haha, I'm pretty sad he's not in TFA since he died in RotJ :(

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I don't think she has a lightsaber or was trained as a jedi but it would be cool if it was the case.

I really hope you're wrong, but you've probably seen a bigger image or whatever. But remember in Empire, when the ghost of Kenobi say's "That boy was our last hope" and Yoda replies "No, there is another"? THAT is what I want to see. All Hail Queen Organa!

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 am 

Oh, she's definitely force sensitive! I also hope that I'm wrong and General Leia Organa Solo is a badass jedi master like her twin brother!

Shattered Empire #3 (comic book). Y'all should read it, PM me if you want the files...!

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 am 

Well it's quite obviously not a light sabre. It's a computer type light, just look at the photo again. Of course Leia is Force attuned and could be easily trained (see the whole Yoda statement or the fact that you could do it in the CCG, but Disney has thrown out so much lore already that the CCG means less than nothing) but yeah not a light sabre.

What I really hope happens is that the original idea of the prequels is finally realized and that Jar Jar Binks is finally allowed to be the dark jedi master Lucas intended him to be. Sure it would only be 10 years and two god awful movies late but it's better than never!!!!!

Margaret Atwood wrote:

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:44 am 

I think all "expanded universe" has been scrapped for this movie though.

Re: Luke's role, I hope he is basically reprising Alec Guiness' more or less, as mentioned. Also, as Lucas himself has said: Anakin WAS the chosen one, and this is eventually recognised by the end of the new trilogy. He "cancelled out" the Sith Order, after destroying the thousands of Jedi. The artificial hand metaphor was so important in the deeper subtext of what Lucas (via Campbell) was on about. Only the twins remained, Luke and Leia. Thus my theory Ren and, erm, the female lead are the twins. I'm really curious how NotTemuera Morrison Storm Trooper blue lightsabre dude fits in...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:46 am 

JJ missed out on some fertile and therefore profitable pun territory by not setting the release date for May 4th.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:26 am 

Yeah I'm with Erosion here. Losing my shit over it and planning on going in cold to just see what happens. God, I hope it doesn't suck.

And yeah pretty much all EU stuff has been made non-canon. It's now "Legends" or whatever the fuck.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:43 am 

Definitely going in blind for this. Went to see Mockingjay Pt. 2 last night and when the trailer for The Force Awakens came up I just stared at the back of the seat in front of me the whole time :lol:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:14 pm 

Jesus christ, I didn't realize until just now how difficult/expensive it is to acquire DVD copies of the original versions of the films nowadays. Luckily my brother bought copies years ago, but fuck... the revisionism campaign perpetrated by Lucas to snuff out the films in their original form is disturbingly obsessive and indescribably dumb.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:23 pm 

^Do yourself a favor and watch the despecialized editions of the original films. Basically, it's a fanmade remaster that takes footage from a ton of different sources to unscrew up Lucas's revisionist campaign on the original trilogy and keep it as close to the theater release as possible (Han did shoot first we all know this).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm 

I expect something that will be similar in quality to the new Star Trek movies, as in good enough to satisfy most people and make for an entertaining evening at the theater, but nowhere near as good as to hold a candle to the original trilogy. I hated the two aforementioned movies as a Star Trek nerd, but as standalone movies they were actually not bad at all. The new Star Wars movie will obviously different, because it is easier for epic modern cinema to live up to epic 70s/80s cinema than it is for epic modern cinema to live up to an almost strictly dialogue-based 60s TV show, but in principle I think the same will happen: A bit annoyed on the inner nerd side, enjoying myself on the other.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:33 pm 

Yeah, why The Phantom Menace is $86.52 on Amazon right now is beyond me. And who the hell would pay that much for a film about nothing?

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:40 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I expect something that will be similar in quality to the new Star Trek movies, as in good enough to satisfy most people and make for an entertaining evening at the theater, but nowhere near as good as to hold a candle to the original trilogy. I hated the two aforementioned movies as a Star Trek nerd, but as standalone movies they were actually not bad at all. The new Star Wars movie will obviously different, because it is easier for epic modern cinema to live up to epic 70s/80s cinema than it is for epic modern cinema to live up to an almost strictly dialogue-based 60s TV show, but in principle I think the same will happen: A bit annoyed on the inner nerd side, enjoying myself on the other.

Nah, Star Trek Into Darkness was just a bad movie period. I agree otherwise though.

Still, it can't be worse than The Phantom Menace.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 pm 

I wouldn't say it's about nothing, it's sort of a preamble blown up to movie length, introducing all the characters and settings (and little more), parts of it might have made a decent first 10-15 minutes to Attack of the Clones.

Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:22 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
the revisionism campaign perpetrated by Lucas to snuff out the films in their original form is disturbingly obsessive and indescribably dumb.

agreed. I hope his drafts and production notes get intercepted by his handlers and stored safely away, they feeding him the lie that the team on set cares very much about what he has to say.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:31 pm 

On my DVDs of the prequels Phantom Menace just says "Start your Star Wars DVD collection blah blah blah." The next two at least have plot summaries before that little tidbit of salesmanship.

Yeah, it's a preamble, I suppose. Just a long, torturous, Jar Jar-infested, sure-as-shit-not-worth-$86.52 preamble.

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:18 pm 

IT'S NOT A FUCKING PREAMBLE DAMNIT :fuck: :brick: :brick:

Just go back and watch episodes 1-3 with the knowledge that Jar Jar IS the evil sith lord and Palpatine is his apprentice. The reason it never came to fruition is because of all the backlash Lucas suffered from episode 1 and he wasn't about to have his franchise ruined.

As for watching non special edition Star Wars, I went so far as to buy a VHS player and the tapes. It really does make a difference.

Margaret Atwood wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:55 pm 

The Plinkett reviews are awesome, if you guys haven't seen them haha.

I rewatched all 6 movies again this year and while I do think 1-2 are legitimately downright terrible in dozens of ways, they are still pretty enjoyable to watch. Maybe that's just how strong the fanboyism is in me though.

But I will standby and say Episode 3 is a very legit good one. It's almost exhilarating and exciting to see the sheer amount of chaos that goes down, because most of those characters were something to hate. Windu being destroyed always cracks me up and is amazing. The Emperor is a major highlight in the prequels and while I used to think Yoda becoming a ninja in the prequels was lame, I can't deny that it's fucking awesome to see the Emperor and Yoda of all people duel it out. The entire Order 66 (whatever) scene is absolutely amazing, and this movie is quite possibly John Williams at his absolute best, it's a beast of a soundtrack and very moving. The PG-13 evilness that surrounds this movie is fascinating in its own way, I still can't get over how fucked up the implied child murder scene is. That's more disturbing than a lot of stuff you'll see in R movies. Less romance shenanigans and Obi-Wan is finally somewhat likeable, along with Anakin. It's good.

Empire is perfection though and the final stretch of Return takes the cake for me.

I'm very stoked. I've been worried because I actually don't think JJ is all that great, the lens flare abuse and general filming aesthetics of his Star Trek movies are puke worthy, but luckily I think this is going to look way cooler and more toned down thankfully. Other than that despite my distaste for some of his stuff, it's still going to be better than Lucas.

Can't wait.

If you guys want a more authentic experience with 4-6, look for the Harmy Despecialized Edition's. Should be easy to find.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:52 pm 

Buying my ticket for opening day tonight. I cannot wait at all for this movie. I just want it to be here, right now.

And yeah, get the Despecialized Editions of the original trilogy. Those were what led to Machete Order being created too.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:55 pm 

Thanks for the heads up guys, sounds like a plan.

Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:31 pm 

Anyone want to guess at total box office draw before it leaves theatres?

Currently it seems the worldwide box office record holder is Avatar at just over $2.78 billion, with $.76 billion domestic. I think it's safe to say that Star Wars will break a billion dollars domestic. Worldwide .. fuck, dude .. I dunno. Maybe over 4?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:48 pm 

I read that George Lucas was paid over $4 billion by Disney for the rights to Star Wars, which is...mmm kind of a lot of money.

Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:56 pm 

why didn't he threaten to throw them in the sarlaac? He could have gotten triple! Fuckin weird that Disney stands to make that entire chunk of money back in under six months. .. and then they own the rights to Star Wars. .. heh .. lol

What's the plan with the single character movies coming out in between the main episode one? Anyone know? I saw Tony put up a Fett poster a while back, but ..

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:04 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I read that George Lucas was paid over $4 billion by Disney for the rights to Star Wars, which is...mmm kind of a lot of money.

Yeah, they paid him 4 billion and told him to fuck off! Best decision ever.

I just want to visit the planet in Interstellar (the one where time flies) for 5 seconds and be back for the 18th.

G_W:
2016: Rogue One next year with a fucking great cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/
2017: Episode VIII
2018: Standalone Han Solo movie, they've been auditioning like 2500 actors for the part, this was rumored to be a Solo/Fett adventure. Directors: Phil Lord and Chris Miller / Writers: Lawrence and Jon Kasdan.
2019: Episode IX
2020: Boba Fett movie
2021: The Adventures of Bib Fortuna
2022: Salacious B. Crumb: The Return of the Rat Jester
2023: The Adventures of Ghost Obi Wan and Ghost Qui-Gonn Jinn
2023: Boss Nass christmas special

That's all I have for now.

Grave_Wyrm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:10 pm 

hahah .. seems like things are going to start downhill around 2021. Boss Nass hahaha

Awesome to see Kasdan(s) back.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:37 pm 

Re; the prequels, I'd love to see this despecialised hoohaa, sounds interesting. I watched the Neon Noir cut of I-III, which was interesting because of the neo-retro-electro soundtrack, but also shithouse because there was no John Williams!

Ep I had it's moments, it wasn't entirely pointless. "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" is a great Jedi one liner, and I still use it frequently when dealing with dickheads. Also, it really does set up the phantom-like insidious role of the false flag maneuver. But Jar Jar as a Sith?!? Pretty glad that will not be canon.

Ep II was so horrible I will not even bother writing about it.

Ep III was indeed watchable. The opening sequence was a complete spectacle on the big screen. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise was handled so well I think it will be taught in both theatre and esoteric schools in the future for decades. McDiamid shines in his handling of the Emperor, and the amazing parallels to contemporary socio-religio-economics and warfare is genius. And again, John muthafarkin Williams...

I really wonder if Abrams can handle this kind of subject matter, it was so obvious that Lucas himself only barely managed to convey it himself. Not being a Wiggles In Space fan (that's Star Trek to you) I really have no measuring stick to tell whether the Trek movies actually carried the original concept material over or not. But it's definitely got much higher chances of being more watchable as a new trilogy than the prequels. "Always emotion, the future is."

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
2016: Rogue One next year with a fucking great cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/

Is this going to relate at all to the mysterious Bothans?

Metantoine wrote:

What are the dates for Jawas Go Wild: The Great Sandcrawler Race and Tim Burton's Lobot and the Flying Security Factory?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Yeah, they paid him 4 billion and told him to fuck off! Best decision ever.

I just want to visit the planet in Interstellar (the one where time flies) for 5 seconds and be back for the 18th.

G_W:
2017: Episode VIII
2018: Standalone Han Solo movie, they've been auditioning like 2500 actors for the part, this was rumored to be a Solo/Fett adventure. Directors: Phil Lord and Chris Miller / Writers: Lawrence and Jon Kasdan.
2019: Episode IX
2020: Boba Fett movie

That's all I have for now.

Don't even kid dude. I don't want the Marvel schedule to become a thing with Star Wars and completely ruin the magic.

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Is this going to relate at all to the mysterious Bothans?

Metantoine wrote:

What are the dates for Jawas Go Wild: The Great Sandcrawler Race and Tim Burton's Lobot and the Flying Security Factory?

Rogue One could be a very cool jedi-free spy/thriller. Mads Mikkelsen is rumored to play an imperial officer, shit could be great!

About Lobot, the Lando comics recently released by Marvel features him and it's quite interesting!

The dates I wrote are true by the way, until 2020 at least. ;) I'm fine with getting one Star Wars movie a year personally, it's not like they can spread the story thin since it's a mix of anthology movies and the new trilogy, both are (mostly) unrelated. It's not like Marvel who has to introduce EVERYONE in order to combine them in yet another Avengers movie.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 pm 

Yeah, Rogue One sounds like it could be cool. Since the mind-searing atrocity of the prequels was committed the whole Star Wars reality kinda got desanctified, if you will, so I'm open to new stuff coming down the pipeline as long as it's not garbage.

Ooh ooh, we need a Lando origin story, like a gritty, '80s-style con/gambling/hustler film depicting our plucky playa's unscrupulous rise from shady entrepreneur to glitzy tycoondom.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:20 pm 

Eh, watching the trailers, reading about it, I dunno the only thing that comes to my mind is "I have a bad feeling about this". I don't wanna be a pessimist, I actually enjoy the prequel despite all the bad acting, but I'm not up for a disappointment.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:53 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Can't. Fucking. Wait. In the immortal words of Comic Book Guy; best movie ever.

Margaret Atwood wrote:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:57 pm 

Hard to believe Revenge of the Sith came out 10 years ago :eek:

He he I quite like this

viewtopic.php?p=2040422#p2040422

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:03 pm 

I recently rewatched the original trilogy, and they were all good, especially A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Just snappy, fun action movies with great characters and classic plots full of intrigue and adventure. Good stuff...I am hoping this new movie will be good, but I won't be surprised if it's rather safe and generic like the Star Trek remakes. I doubt it will be bad, it can't be bad - because then Abrams will be the most hated man in America.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:26 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Anyone want to guess at total box office draw before it leaves theatres?

Currently it seems the worldwide box office record holder is Avatar at just over $2.78 billion, with $.76 billion domestic. I think it's safe to say that Star Wars will break a billion dollars domestic. Worldwide .. fuck, dude .. I dunno. Maybe over 4?

4 billion is pushing it, but I've been predicting for years that this movie is gonna break 3 billion. It's got the hype behind it, for sure, as this is the most attention I've seen a movie get prior to release since The Avengers. 1 billion domestic is a very lofty number, but if any one movie could do it, it's this one.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next