Choose!
Cassette Tape 20%  20%  [ 12 ]
Vinyl 80%  80%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 60
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dragons_secrets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm 

Vinyl or cassette tape. Which format do you prefer, and why?

All these years and I had never bought any albums on vinyl until recently. Now I want to get more. Particularly I'm interested in getting older albums on vinyl just because more recent releases (I.E. digitally recorded albums) don't appeal to me in anything other than CD format.

Cassette tapes, I also still buy on occasion. I've acquired quite a few lately. Both vinyl and cassettes from a lot of the 80's metal bands I'm interested in also tend to be very cheap while many of these band's CD editions tend to be out of print and more expensive. So that's another perk.

Comparing the sound quality, vinyl sounds wonderful. Most people may disagree, but I love how tapes sound too. Neither format would I ever consider "better" than CD, but I still enjoy both formats for different reasons. Gonna have to give the cassette tape the edge though, since I own far more of those.

Anyway, I digress. Discuss!

Discogs

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poll added, gentlemen!

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:12 pm 

Vinyl for sure. There was a time where I thought cassette was better, but it was before I realize how easy it is to make decent-sounding vinyl rips, because all I had ever heard were bad ones. Cassettes are simply okay, but I'd never buy one of a release that has a vinyl or CD version, unless it has something other versions don't have, e.g. Sound Barrier's second album having a bonus track on cassette.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:12 pm 

out of the two choices. Obviously will go for vinyl for a better sound quality, more likely to last much longer under care, large space for artwork, more interesting inserts also can be obtained with vinyl. Tapes are pretty bottom of the barrel.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 pm 

Cheap, lightweight, easier to maintain, less fragile, aesthetically pleasing claustrophobic relationship with its packaging, can be played in a car... advantage: tape.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:36 pm 

Tapes are literally the worst format ever, i'd rather listen to 128kbps mp3s than that shit. Vinyl forever!

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:45 am 

If I had to purchase one, I'd rather vinyl. One of the main reasons I buy tangible music is the allure of having it in my hands and looking at the artwork. Cassette really isn't a format that shows off the art very well and several of the advantages tape has are even stronger with CD, which weakens that argument considerably.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:59 am 

Let's face it, tapes are for walkman toting hipsters. There is not a single thing a tape does that a CD doesn't do better. Vinyl on the other hand, is the tits. Hell, my Mayhem vinyls are a display collection more than anything and they're still awesome.

Expedience
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:23 am 

I have yet to hear the benefit of vinyl's reputed sound quality, despite owning a set-up. Admittedly it's not a $5000+ set-up (probably around $2000+ including speakers and amp) but for that money I should be able to get a better sound than my CD-player, and I don't. I own mostly CDs but they're not the best format - too easily scratched and playing them in the car messes them up. Compared to this, cassettes rate fairly well and due to their compactness and low price, I'd still buy them. Thankfully I don't have to, so I'm going to keep listening to digital formats. I discovered a lot of metal buying cheap 2nd hand cassettes though, so I do have to thank it for that.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 am 

I'm really interested in the way metal fans have this fetish for cassettes and LPs. I don't observe this amongst other subcultures or groups of fans to anywhere near the same levels. I'm in my mid 30s and throughout the 80s and 90s I had records and tapes. I didnt own a cd player until 1994. Throughout this whole time, I would be happy with any format that allowed me to listen to music, be it the radio, tapes, records or cds. In my own head, I think being into music itself is paramount and format fetishisation just seems like an unnecessary distraction.

Vinyl is still quite popular and the format was sustained, in my opinion, by the massive popularity of dance music in the 1990s. It was not the only reason that vinyl remained viable but it was a very large contributing factor. Turntables were selling massively in the 1990s and did so until the advent of good quality, user friendly cd decks and eventually products like Serato and Traktor.

Nowadays LPs are really expensive as they cater to mainly young people who see them as a more authentic, retro fetish item. It seems the same with cassettes. I get it, but ultimately find it a bit pointless and self indulgent. Why not just listen to the music instead of dissecting the format it comes on?

I would argue that audiophilia and music appreciation are two distinct things. Ive never been interested in audiophilia even though now, as an adult I have fairly decent equipment.

I still have hundreds of records but after moving house a few times the bin bag of tapes eventually got binned. I had some wonderful things copied onto tapes but to be honest, I'd be hard pushed not to be able to track the music down again online.

I would answer the question Vinyl vs cassettes as who cares? They're both not really relevant unless it's from a collectors/fetishist viewpoint. I would encourage people who are too young to have had records and tapes when they were the standard format to stop wasting their time trying to connect to something that's gone and just enjoy music for what it is.

My apologies in advance to anyone I might infuriate with these opinions.

Betamax vs Laserdisc
The Horse vs The Car
The internet Vs slugging through record shops, being introduced to band by older kids, hearing a band mentioned once in a snippet of a TV programme. ( I look back on all of this fondly but the world's different now and I love the unlimited access to worldwide music)

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 pm 

marcomai wrote:
I'm really interested in the way metal fans have this fetish for cassettes and LPs. I don't observe this amongst other subcultures or groups of fans to anywhere near the same levels.

Really? I have to say, it seems like you just don't know anything about other subcultures. Noise and the amalgam of "indie" and "emo", not to mention punk, are all pretty stuck on tape/vinyl.

Obviously, I choose vinyl, but since tapes keep coming up on this forum recently (has anyone else noticed this? where is this sudden influx of tape talk coming from?), I can't help but continue to point out that, if you're some 16 year old puke who doesn't know anything about cassettes, you probably have no business posting in this thread. Ignorant kids and yachtzis don't know shit, and they aren't really qualified to comment, considering.

Tapes are really only as bad as the user is clueless/lazy. Just like vinyl... or CD... or a baby. They only get screwed up if you suck at taking care of them.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 pm 

I like tapes. I get some cool new stuff for $3-5 and can find some old heavy metal, hard rock, and prog rock on tape in thrift stores for 50c or a dollar. Oh, they also play in my car. Yes, my big, old, outdated, unfashionable, inefficient car. Why not just get a new Prius, right?

I mostly collect CDs though, but I own dozens of tapes and listen to them in the car.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:31 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
marcomai wrote:
I'm really interested in the way metal fans have this fetish for cassettes and LPs. I don't observe this amongst other subcultures or groups of fans to anywhere near the same levels.

Really? I have to say, it seems like you just don't know anything about other subcultures. Noise and the amalgam of "indie" and "emo", not to mention punk, are all pretty stuck on tape/vinyl.

I don't think that Noise constitutes a subculture at all. Perhaps a subgenre of a few different musical styles.

I think that the vague 'amalgam of "indie" and "emo" ' in you reply doesn't sound anything like a subculture either. If it does, then that's certainly a mouthful. I think what you are refering to fits in more with what I was talking about when I mentioned young people looking for something that seems somehow more authentic which then goes on to be fetishised. Think 'vintage'.

You mentioned Punk. Perhaps that's similar to what I was talking about with metal. There are many subcultures based around music that don't have this vintage format fetish though. There's an awful lot of electronic styles/subcultures where it's just not like that.

Mind you, the music is released differently. In Metal, your favourite artist releases full lenghts that you can absorb over a year or a couple of years before their next release. You go and see the tour. You explore the back catalogue etc. It's not like that within most of the electronic music genres.

I tend to see these thigs as fetishisms. The map is not the territory. Music before formats. I'm a dick. I know.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm 

The main reason that both formats thrive in the world of metal (especially tape) is the "collector value" thing. For a physical format, CD's are by far the most convenient, of course. I guess out of the two formats, I'd choose vinyl, mainly for the benefit of having big artwork.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 pm 

I feel it's necessary to mention that I don't know a single subculture outside of metal that fetishizes CD's so much.
first press CD's are, like, the holy grail for metal music collectors... Not sure where this notion that metal fans are obsessed with tapes/vinyl is coming from, considering.

marcomai wrote:
I don't think that Noise constitutes a subculture at all. Perhaps a subgenre of a few different musical styles.

I think that the vague 'amalgam of "indie" and "emo" ' in you reply doesn't sound anything like a subculture either. If it does, then that's certainly a mouthful. I think what you are refering to fits in more with what I was talking about when I mentioned young people looking for something that seems somehow more authentic which then goes on to be fetishised. Think 'vintage'.

In other words, "I have no background in or experience with these things, so I think it's safe to assume they're all bullshit". Talk about a fucking mouthful.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Not sure where this notion that metal fans are obsessed with tapes/vinyl is coming from, considering.

Spend some time over on the NWN forum hahaha. "When comes the vinyl version?"

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 pm 

Only vinyl is real and true!

Etc etc.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:38 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
I feel it's necessary to mention that I don't know a single subculture outside of metal that fetishizes CD's so much.
first press CD's are, like, the holy grail for metal music collectors... Not sure where this notion that metal fans are obsessed with tapes/vinyl is coming from, considering.

marcomai wrote:

In other words, "I have no background in or experience with these things, so I think it's safe to assume they're all bullshit". Talk about a fucking mouthful.

I'll happily admit to having no background in emo. However, I was good friends with hardcore kids in the 90s who were into emoti-core as it was starting to be called at the time, so I'm certainly familiar with it and have watched it develop into what it is today.
I've been into indie of all sorts of descriptions for over twenty years: buying records, travelling the country for gigs, zines, clubs and on and on and on.

Ive ran club nights, dj'd , released electroninc music and been around all sorts of music and groups of musical people in the uk and usa.
I demonstrably have experience and background in these things.

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 am 

Certainly not a background worth citing in debate, if you're trying to claim that the noise and indie scenes don't have an analog fetish. (I don't know enough about emo to say anything legitimately informed, but I know enough about the_raytownian's tastes to assume he knows what he's talking about here.) Might's'well throw industrial into that, too - there's a disproportionately large amount of old industrial releases on tape and vinyl, from what I've seen, with very few on CD unless they're relatively high-profile releases. Point is, it's not a phenomenon exclusive to or even dominated by metal.

Seriously, though, you don't think there's a noise subculture? You know there are entire forums dedicated to it, right? Like Special Interest? Saying it lacks a unified subculture is absurd.

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Certainly not a background worth citing in debate, if you're trying to claim that the noise and indie scenes don't have an analog fetish. (I don't know enough about emo to say anything legitimately informed, but I know enough about the_raytownian's tastes to assume he knows what he's talking about here.) Might's'well throw industrial into that, too - there's a disproportionately large amount of old industrial releases on tape and vinyl, from what I've seen, with very few on CD unless they're relatively high-profile releases. Point is, it's not a phenomenon exclusive to or even dominated by metal.

Seriously, though, you don't think there's a noise subculture? You know there are entire forums dedicated to it, right? Like Special Interests? Saying it lacks a unified subculture is absurd.

All I was trying to say about Noise is that it crosses between a variety of genres and so isn't as easily identifiable as a subculture in and of itself. Plenty of avant garde styles within multiple genres could cross into the Noise section of the venn diagram. Jut look at the sub headings under the name of the forum you linked me to.

This format fetish thing that I was talking about, while metal may not have a monopoly on it I still stand by what I said. Sure, you could talk about punk and it's myriad off shoots but what I'm saying is that lots and lots of people who are immersed in different musical subgenres, scenes or subcultures don't harp on about the merits of listening to the shit they like on tapes or records as some sort of badge of authenticity or connection to something that was around before they were old enough to experience it.

That's not to say that people in some of those very scenes don't have their own peculiar fetishes for, say, analogue synths or sound modules but that's a different conversation.

Don't tell me my experience of being involved in music isn't worthy of being cited in a debate. I was around gigs, clubs, record shops, bands, scenes and fucking cassettes before you were even born.

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

marcomai wrote:
All I was trying to say about Noise is that it crosses between a variety of genres and so isn't as easily identifiable as a subculture in and of itself. Plenty of avant garde styles within multiple genres could cross into the Noise section of the venn diagram. Jut look at the sub headings under the name of the forum you linked me to.

If you look at the topics on the forum itself, you can see that noise is by far the primary thing they talk about, with things like death industrial (closely related, either way) coming in second. It is a de facto noise forum. Also, the same thing you just said could just as easily be applied to metal - "plenty of styles within multiple genres could cross into the metal section of a Venn diagram" - so why does this not invalidate the existence of a subculture surrounding metal in your eyes?
marcomai wrote:
This format fetish thing that I was talking about, while metal may not have a monopoly on it I still stand by what I said. Sure, you could talk about punk and it's myriad off shoots but what I'm saying is that lots and lots of people who are immersed in different musical subgenres, scenes or subcultures don't harp on about the merits of listening to the shit they like on tapes or records as some sort of badge of authenticity or connection to something that was around before they were old enough to experience it.

That's not to say that people in some of those very scenes don't have their own peculiar fetishes for, say, analogue synths or sound modules but that's a different conversation.

There are plenty of metalheads who sincerely don't give a shit about analog music formats. I myself only posted in this thread stating a preference because it was there for me to post in and because there wasn't a pro-tape opinion yet. I can assure you that choosing the format of an album that I ultimately choose to buy is not a laborious, mind-wracking process for me. Also, if you haven't noticed, there are quite a few forum regulars who are completely absent from this thread, and that's probably because, oh I dunno, they sincerely don't care? Which seems to fly in the face of your proposal? It sounds like you just wanted to generally soapbox on the fetishization of analog formats in general, and then singled out metal culture as the primary perpetrator of it to get a reaction out of the people who read your post.
marcomai wrote:
Don't tell me my experience of being involved in music isn't worthy of being cited in a debate. I was around gigs, clubs, record shops, bands, scenes and fucking cassettes before you were even born.

That just means that your perception of the scene is more likely to be inaccurate, because you're more inclined to compare the current state of the music scene to how it was when you were a kid, and will thus hyperanalyze differences which hardly even exist instead of grasping the big picture.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:24 pm 

marcomai you are just very off about thinking that metalheads are the top of the heap of worshiping certain formats. You have no experience in punk, grindcore, indie rock, hardcore and well it's so widespread and equal with I would say with grindcore being even more so than metal in worshipping it... as in true grindcore not buying albums on cds cause it's not on vinyl (experience with my band) or unless the cd is ultra limited then they might.

Not being a dick you are just simply wrong, kinda like quite a few other people have pointed out as well.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm 

I say they both lose. GO WHALERS!

But really, I can't imagine any sane reason why somebody would prefer cassette tapes at this point. The quality is lame, they're easily damaged, the artwork and layouts are dinky and fucked up. I own a whopping three vinyls (I quit getting them when I realized how insanely inefficient they were), but at least there's an old timey rustic feeling of nostalgia with them. Tapes are like the Fisher-Price of music.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I say they both lose. GO WHALERS!

But really, I can't imagine any sane reason why somebody would prefer cassette tapes at this point. The quality is lame, they're easily damaged, the artwork and layouts are dinky and fucked up. I own a whopping three vinyls (I quit getting them when I realized how insanely inefficient they were), but at least there's an old timey rustic feeling of nostalgia with them. Tapes are like the Fisher-Price of music.

even fisher price had better taste than tapes:

And actually made a real one that played real records.

I actually had that one^^^^ it's still at my mom's house.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
marcomai you are just very off about thinking that metalheads are the top of the heap of worshiping certain formats. You have no experience in punk, grindcore, indie rock, hardcore and well it's so widespread and equal with I would say with grindcore being even more so than metal in worshipping it... as in true grindcore not buying albums on cds cause it's not on vinyl (experience with my band) or unless the cd is ultra limited then they might.

Not being a dick you are just simply wrong, kinda like quite a few other people have pointed out as well.

^
Also, using the "I'm older than you!" argument is ludicrous and it doesn't inprove the discussion whatsoever especially when you're way off about the subject.

To put some meat in my post, I'll say that I'm slowly starting to truly return to the physical format realm because my dad got me a nice ampli and it works well with my turntable and my tape deck. I'll still download since I'm a broke student and I listen to a lot of stuff but in the end, I enjoy listening to CDs, tapes and vinyl a lot more than sterile mp3s. Vinyl of course is the superior format (bigger artwork, nice sound) but the tape definitely has its charms, I think it's a neat little format and I've been looking for a Walkman haha! I often find tapes for 1 buck each (found some Def Leppard, Rush, Judas Priest at my local thrift store) and they bring me joy!

BastardHead, in the words of Uncolored: "You're an enemy of metal"

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:49 pm 

Vinyl by far. Cassette tapes can have a billion things go wrong with them no matter how well you take care of them. Your deck gets exposed to any type of magnetism or static and there is a tape in there....it's ruined. If you do not clean your heads regularly, your tapes can be ruined. Proper turntable toner arm balance with a good stylus and you can enjoy much more playing time with incredible sound.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 am 

Gonna have to go with tapes. Vinyl definitely offers the best art experience of the major three formats, but not so much that that outweighs the benefits of CD's vs. vinyl for me (i.e. smaller packaging, cheap shipping, lower prices, portability, ease of use, easy ripping, etc.). The sound quality on vinyl and CD are also really similar.

However, that tape hiss just adds an extra dimension to the sound that's absent on the clearer CD and vinyl formats, which I think adds a certain charm to releases sometimes. Also, while it's easy to directly compare vinyl and CD's for me, tapes just have this other set of qualities that make them sort of an interesting/viable alternative: often they've got totally different art, they're super durable in that you can toss them around, they ship super cheap, they're often dirt cheap in the first place, etc. They do have their drawbacks (sound degradation, tapes getting eaten, annoying to navigate compared to the other formats).

tl;dr - I prefer CD's most of all, but vinyl is too similar to CD for me to invest in but tapes have their quirky charms, so, tapes.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:54 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
you don't think there's a noise subculture? You know there are entire forums dedicated to it, right? Like Special Interest? Saying it lacks a unified subculture is absurd.

Pretty much my entire point. There's quite a few forums. and festivals (even ones strictly for HNW) all over the globe. and labels releasing nothing but noise.
BUT, if we're being real here, most noise artists today release everything on crappy spray painted CDr's. :lol:

mjollnir wrote:
If you do not clean your heads regularly, your tapes can be ruined. Proper turntable toner arm balance with a good stylus and you can enjoy much more playing time with incredible sound.

The thing is, tape decks do require a lot more "regular" maintenance, but it's also a whole lot less complicated than adjusting/switching out parts on a turntable. I never needed a protractor just to clean a tape deck, for instance.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm 

MOTHER FUCKING CASSETTES.

SUCK A DICK.

#NoiseLyfe #cutandloop

BAPTIST- drone, meditation, ambient - new song!

Expedience
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:49 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
However, that tape hiss just adds an extra dimension to the sound that's absent on the clearer CD and vinyl formats, which I think adds a certain charm to releases sometimes.

Now that I think about it, both thrash and old-school death have appealed less to me since then my tape days, and I think it's because the tape format made the sound warmer and took an edge off the guitars which made you want to crank it louder. On CD and digital, the guitars are much more incisive and "studio" - which I find less pleasant for thrash and death. When I finally replaced my Asphyx The Rack tape with CD the increased clarity made the music lose something. There's a different energy going on with tapes which suits some music, while others like classical are better the more clarity you give them.

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 am 

I've never owned, listened to, or cared about vinyl. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I mean I get why people hate tapes, but I don't get what the big deal is about records to metalheads. I wonder.. but not enough to actually buy some records and find out, ha. Vinyl apathetics, I know you're out there with me.

As for original press CDs.. They feel more original, even if they sound the exact same as a reissue. Reissues are the only feasible or affordable option sometimes though. First press is like an official poster or something, and the reissue is almost like a print. Even though it's official too. If that makes any sense.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:11 am 

Giving a shit about which version of a CD you have makes a lot less sense to me than listening to old metal on vinyl, since there's actually an audible difference. Analog recordings will always sound better on vinyl because the analog waveform is preserved instead of being converted to binary code. Although when it comes to CD reissues I do get pissed off if they contain badly mixed live tracks or demo versions at the end, who the hell actually wants to hear that sort of rubbish?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:54 am 

Well there are tons of people who do give a shit which version of a cd they have. Also sometimes the artwork is changed, sometimes the mix is tweaked. But still sometimes it's just nicer to have that og cd instead of the reissue. I usually go with what comes up.

Now for a great reissue that Demilich 20th anniversary one... fucking top notch the remix actually adds more so you can make out a lot of lost detail. And the newer songs are pretty damn sweet.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 pm 

Vinyl mainly for longevity and availability of titles.

Also here's a link to the tape thread we had going the other day viewtopic.php?p=2447394

Sell/swap viewtopic.php?p=2040422
Wanted viewtopic.php?p=2343125
Feedback viewtopic.php?p=2470301

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:28 pm 

Cassette tape rules divine. Best format ever. Practical, die-hard, and totally fucking METAL!
He's fucking older than me!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:32 pm 

CrO2 metal, even :p

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:48 pm 

Right! Fuckin' A, dreadmeat! \m/
He's fucking older than me!

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Well there are tons of people who do give a shit which version of a cd they have. Also sometimes the artwork is changed, sometimes the mix is tweaked. But still sometimes it's just nicer to have that og cd instead of the reissue. I usually go with what comes up.

I do give a shit, it's just less significant than the difference in quality I can hear between vinyl and CD. It all comes down to individual releases, it's much less of a big deal if a CD is simply reprinted multiple times than if it's remixed, remastered in a way that alters the sonic quality of the music, or has crappy bonus tracks added. Same with layout alterations, if they improve the artwork then sweet, but for example later pressings of the Slayer and Danzig back catalogue on American Recordings have those horrible generic disc-face labels, generic AR chunky black-on-white title bars and Tipper Stickers printed over the artwork. That's an example of ruining a layout, whereas for instance the 2007 Sentenced reissues have the artwork altered, but it still looks cool so I don't mind so much.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:35 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
...later pressings of the Slayer and Danzig back catalogue on American Recordings have those horrible generic disc-face labels, generic AR chunky black-on-white title bars and Tipper Stickers printed over the artwork.
This is awful, it's annoyed me for ages, all my Slayer discs look the same :crash:

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 pm 

Vinyl all the way of course.

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
chaossphere wrote:
...later pressings of the Slayer and Danzig back catalogue on American Recordings have those horrible generic disc-face labels, generic AR chunky black-on-white title bars and Tipper Stickers printed over the artwork.
This is awful, it's annoyed me for ages, all my Slayer discs look the same :crash:

Yeah it's even worse on Decade Of Aggression because they changed the front cover picture too. I used to have the original pressing of that (not the metal box version, just the standard one) but some fuckin maggot stole it :grr:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next