Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
It always amazes me that the practioners of ye olde madgicke use it for such incredible feats as vague feelings that something changed in their lives because of it, yet it lacks practical uses such as cleaning the toilet, or doing the washing.

That's because "magick" is, by definition, not reality. The reality based way to clean things is called "detergent". Which may have been considered magical at some point I guess. The same concept applies to homeopathic remedies.

Two quotes, just for fun:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

"By definition, alternative medicine has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proved to work? Medicine." - Tim Minchin

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm 

I went through a "magick" phase when I was about sixteen to eighteen. I used to read loads of Israel Regardie, and was more into the mysticism of the practice, rather than the "evil" side. Crowley never did much for me, outside of 777 and I used to study angelic communications, rituals, all that jazz. I won't make any odd claims or say anything that claims it can heal you, or fucking turn copper into gold, but what I will say is that having a system in place, one that affects you and only you, that demands rigorous attention and focus - is good for you.

Many of these magical systems ask that the practitioner devote some time each day meditating, reflecting, focusing, etc. I think that, if you have a system in place that demands that you give yourself this introspective time, it is good for the soul. Whether it is Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/Jewish/Magick meditation, or writing 1000 words a day, or jogging in the park without music, hiking, sitting quietly reading, whatever. I think as long as a system promotes time to get to "know yourself" I won't really shit on it - even if that time is spent focusing on Tarot cards to help you understand the universe. Introspection and "slowing down" are two things that are vastly lost on us modern liberal Westerners, we shouldn't be too hasty to kick people down while they try to do so.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Introspection and "slowing down" are two things that are vastly lost on us modern liberal Westerners, we shouldn't be too hasty to kick people down while they try to do so.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2