Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Feigr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm 

Hi all!

So I am planning to do a transatlantic trip to the land of doom, Maryland, and the surrounding area, mainly DC and perhaps a bit of Pennsylvania if I have the time. I am a big fan of doom metal, particularly the classic Maryland sound, and I wanted to ask if anyone in here could recommend me any doom metal-related places to visit over there. Any venues, record stores, recording studios, pubs...?
I've never been over there so I have absolutely no idea where to go and what to visit. Anything relevant for a doomster is welcome :-D

Thanks in advance! :headbang:

NB: I didn't really know in which sub-forum to post this, so please, excuse me if it's in the wrong one, and have the mods move it to the one it should be.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

Uhhh. Well. The epicenter is probably Krug's Place in Frederick. The legendary Maryland doom scene was a pretty small circle of dudes in the 80's, and the ones who are still around mainly play tiny shows in/around Frederick with a bunch of dad-rock bands. Frederick is sort of a semi-old-feeling (for the US) city about 40 minutes outside of DC, surrounded by suburbs, but it's kind of a rednecky area. Not lots going on out there.

Honestly, if you're coming here looking for some sort of doom-Mecca you're basically going to be massively disappointed. It was a niche scene thirty years ago and is all but dead now; your average Marylander has never even heard of it and it never really became a widespread underground cultural phenomenon like, say, black metal in Oslo or death metal in Stockholm. There aren't really any metal-focused record stores, pubs, or anything like that.

However, DC has lots of neat stuff that's definitely worth seeing, but I would wait until this government shutdown's over or you're going to be doing the tourist thing in a city where nothing's open and people are lighting themselves on fire on the Mall and whatnot.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Feigr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Honestly, if you're coming here looking for some sort of doom-Mecca you're basically going to be massively disappointed.

However, DC has lots of neat stuff that's definitely worth seeing, but I would wait until this government shutdown's over.

I'm also going to visit some relatives, so it's not a just doom-centered trip :-P

And I already knew that it was never a big thing, but I supposed there would be a few particular places such as venues, recording studios or record stores where doom metal was more prevalent. Isn't there really anything like that at all?

And yeah, I still have to sort out some visas and documents, so it might take a while 'til I get over there, hopefully the govt. shutdown will be over by then.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm 

Nah, there's nothing like that really. There's a doom "festival" at a small club in Baltimore on Oct. 25th with some local bands, but also some not-so-local bands:

http://www.autumnscreamsdoom.com/

That's a pretty cool venue, but it has all sorts of shows. I think the only real classic-era bands you're gonna find still playing much in the way of local shows are Earthride* and Iron Man. Probably your best resource for looking for events when you do come to the area is this site:

http://dcheavymetal.com/

It covers all sorts of styles but they're pretty good at covering what doom stuff there is.

*For some reason I thought Earthride were older than they are, heh. Anyway they have that sort of classic Maryland doom sound, while a lot of the newer bands are more overtly stoner and/or sludge type stuff.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 pm 

For record stores, you can go to two in Baltimore - Soundgarden (which is a general music store with metal sections) and Black Mess (which deals in metal exclusively). While I've never specifically looked for it, in my lifetime of being in Maryland, I've never come across anything Doom Metal centric, and not even a whole lot of things metal-centric. A lot of record stores in the state, from my experience, are pretty metal friendly, but not really much metal exclusive. Even for venues, it's kind of odd. There are a few venues in the area that host a lot of metal, but it's also common to end up in some bar with ping pong tables.

Once, while driving in the Baltimore area, I saw a cardboard sign that said "METAL AND PUNK CDs, LPs" with an arrow pointing to a basement door. I chose not to stop, as it was clearly some kind of bizarre trap.

Now, if you're looking for crab cakes and other random Maryland crap, I can give better recommendations there.

Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm 

I was just in Maryland to see Esoteric at The Metro Gallery. The venue is tiny, but I do know they have Saint Vitus and Pallbearer coming there later in the month. I forget which day, but now I remember because I visited this page: http://themetrogallery.net/events/ and saw that it was on October 13.

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 pm 

If you want Doom Metal go to Salem, Oregon and try to catch a show at Burial Grounds.

I hate music

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm 

I grew up in MD. Terrible place. But I suppose excellent for doom and gloom.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm 

Yeah, Soundgarden isn't the most amazing place in the world for metal but it's a pretty solid record store in general and is open real late. It's in a nice neighborhood of Baltimore called Fell's Point. There's a brilliant bar just around the corner from Soundgarden called Max's on Broadway, which usually has around 100 beers on tap plus a shitload more in bottles and a nice atmosphere. Pretty fun to sample their offerings then stumble over to Soundgarden for some late-night shopping. Black Mess is cool, too, but kind of in the middle of nowhere (as far as stuff in Baltimore goes). It's way up in Hampden.

Sidebar in Baltimore is a little bar that has shows, sometimes metal ones. You could find much worse places to drink.

Lukien
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Uhhh. Well. The epicenter is probably Krug's Place in Frederick. The legendary Maryland doom scene was a pretty small circle of dudes in the 80's, and the ones who are still around mainly play tiny shows in/around Frederick with a bunch of dad-rock bands. Frederick is sort of a semi-old-feeling (for the US) city about 40 minutes outside of DC, surrounded by suburbs, but it's kind of a rednecky area. Not lots going on out there.

Honestly, if you're coming here looking for some sort of doom-Mecca you're basically going to be massively disappointed. It was a niche scene thirty years ago and is all but dead now; your average Marylander has never even heard of it and it never really became a widespread underground cultural phenomenon like, say, black metal in Oslo or death metal in Stockholm. There aren't really any metal-focused record stores, pubs, or anything like that.

However, DC has lots of neat stuff that's definitely worth seeing, but I would wait until this government shutdown's over or you're going to be doing the tourist thing in a city where nothing's open and people are lighting themselves on fire on the Mall and whatnot.

Krug's Place closed down unfortunately. I'd recommend not coming out to the Frederick area for anything Metal related. Jack Kerouac bought a leather belt there in On the Road; that's pretty much all it has going for it.

There are some decent shows coming to the Baltimore Soundstage though.

With that being said, I would second imntbatman's DC recommendation . The Smithsonian, monuments and national mall are all worth a visit.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm 

iAm wrote:
If you want Doom Metal go to Salem, Oregon and try to catch a show at Burial Grounds.

I want to go to a show at the BG at some point, so many great artists play there.

As for doom places in the DC area, if you want to make the trek down to Northern Virginia you can check out the Vienna Music Exchange, a totally killer metal store in the suburbs.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, Soundgarden isn't the most amazing place in the world for metal but it's a pretty solid record store in general and is open real late. It's in a nice neighborhood of Baltimore called Fell's Point. There's a brilliant bar just around the corner from Soundgarden called Max's on Broadway, which usually has around 100 beers on tap plus a shitload more in bottles and a nice atmosphere. Pretty fun to sample their offerings then stumble over to Soundgarden for some late-night shopping. Black Mess is cool, too, but kind of in the middle of nowhere (as far as stuff in Baltimore goes). It's way up in Hampden.

Sidebar in Baltimore is a little bar that has shows, sometimes metal ones. You could find much worse places to drink.

Yeah, the biggest thing that keeps me from going to Black Mess most of the time is that it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to drive there. And yes, Max's is a pretty cool bar. A lot of people pour out and into BOP across the street after 2 am for some pizza, and you can often have a pretty hilarious time just people watching there.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 pm 

Oh for sure. Last time I was there a bunch of drunk bar-hopping bros crashed into Max's and were causing a scene, not knowing it's basically an old man bar where you're supposed to sip delicious beer, sit in big arm chairs and discuss literature or some such. They got thrown out and were outside yelling about how it's a douchebag bar for a while, haha.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 am 

I once saw a guy get tossed out of Max's, start banging on the windows, cursing at the establishment, just to re-approach the door and get punched right in the face by a bouncer. I think I was eating gelato at the time. That was a good night.

Feigr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm 

Ok, thanks everyone for all the recommendations! Seems like enough for a good visit even if it's not as doomy as expected :-P

Also, can anyone recommend a recording studio in MD which has been relevant for doom metal, if there's any? Just out of curiosity, and perhaps dropping some CVs to see if an employment pops around there (as said, relatives there, plus I heard the DC-Baltimore-Philadelphia area is good for sound engineers/technicians/producers).

Reply to topic