Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 am 

Bumblebees are just adorable! I wish we got them here :( I've never seen a real life bumblebee.

I'm also quite partial to praying mantises, these little fellows are common here - for Goatfangs, they're Orthodera ministralis :P

Spoiler: show

I had two of them living in my front yard for about 3 months until the cold weather hit this year. Cute little critters.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Anyway, I find most insects to be cute. However, I have no mercy for mosquitos. Those things bite you, make you itch, and are horrible. Besides them, most bugs, even pests, can be cute. I find slugs, with their slow vulnerability, twirling antennae, and general harmlessness, to be super cute. Same with bumblebees and most spiders (for different reasons, obviously). I mean, how could anyone hate these?

Slugs would be cuter if they weren't so fucking slimy. Bumbleblees are cute as hell though.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
*I even felt bad about killing ants I've seen on my computer table recently... Bad enough that I'd squish them as quickly as possible just to get rid of them, and then eat them to feel justified in doing so. Not fucking joking. I'm a total pussy.

To be fair, arthropods in general are a great source of protein. I'd suggest something more substantial than ants though.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm 

Took this a while ago :p

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:37 pm 

Ugh, I hate tiger mosquitoes. Damn things are invading Europe as we type. They carry a absolute smorgashboard of diseases and their sting is a lot more painful than your regular mosquito = must die.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
mosquito = must die.

:nods:
Disgusting things. Really makes you want to use that brush now. :roll:

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:49 pm 

Erg, I just noticed it was full of blood too :ugh:

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Could they be camel crickets?

that picture made me jump a little bit...yes, that's them. 'cept that one looks a lot smaller than some of the ones I've seen creeping around.
Mosquitos are a plague, living in a place that gets as humid and shitty as it does here, you basically have two options whenever you choose to go outside, A: smell like that Off! shit for the rest of your day or, B: get covered in mosquito bites from knee to forearm. I usually go for the latter since I can't stand the smell of whatever they put in those repellant cans... Human beings are reasonably good at making things go extinct, why haven't we found some substance that'll systematically wipe them all out by now?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:22 am 

Ever tried Tea tree oil or some kind of Eucalyptus oil?
I reckon Tea tree oil is pretty good at keeping Mozzies away, good for zits and spots, shaving cuts etc too

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:17 am 

I found this Puriri Moth on the footpath today, the body was the size of my thumb!
http://www.kcc.org.nz/puriri-moth

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:16 am 

This is sort of a bug thread so I'll put this here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... nd-Out-Why

They found out why the bees are dying. I think this is highly important. It's of course the humans' fault.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:19 am 

That sucks, did you know you can only legally buy or sell New Zealand honey here, no other honey is allowed.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 pm 

This past winter I found a shrew in my mom's driveway. I was pulling up ti the garage when I noticed a brown little thing burrowing into the snow. Unfortunately for him, shrews can't bury into asphalt. So I got out and dug him out of the snow so that he wouldn't get squished. He was a cute lil bugger!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:07 pm 

That shrew is adorable.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
That shrew is adorable.

Yeah dude. It's nose was wiggling back and forth like a rabbit.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 pm 

Heh heh rodents are cool like that :p
Pity they are such voracious little buggers [especially Shrews]

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm 

They are! It bit me a couple times after I (stupidly) tried to pet it. Luckily it didn't break skin!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm 

Did you know we say pat over her not pet?
We pat our pets

I always thought Shrews were small but that one that savaged you is pretty big

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 pm 

When I was out doing research in Indonesia, I went to the bathroom to take a leak first thing one morning, and there was a big ass monitor lizard sat over the waste hole in the floor, just staring at me all like "Yes bro, can I help you?"

Monitor lizards are rad.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 pm 

I didn't exactly find these critters on my doorstep... rather they were mailed to me, and I picked them up at the post office. New pets!

First up is this girl:

That's an Eastern Lubber grasshopper - among the largest grasshoppers in the United States. She is very docile, sweet and gentle. No biting, no hopping away, nothing. The worst she does is shits when I pick her up after she had been relaxing for a while. With a bug that size, these turds are larger than tic-tacs.

I also got a male. He's also very docile, but gets really horny around the female. I have them in separate containers because otherwise she wouldn't be able to get him off her back! I do intend on breeding them.

The female is named Clementine and the male is Sunny.

The following images may cause you to shit a brick:

Those are the infamous Red Eyed Devils from Texas. They are giant carnivorous katydids and they are voracious! So much so, I got crickets just for them... I have two females. They eat more than all of my mantises combined. When handling them, they tend to test nibble my fingers... which fucking hurts! But these are big beautiful bugs and I'm steadily getting used to them. I find that if I wash my hands before handling them they largely avoid nibbling me. It also helps to give them a cricket or mealworm.

One is named Aylith and the other Shub-Niggurath. Aylith is the gentler one of the two - she is also more docile and willing to be handled. Shub-Niggurath is the one pictured, especially giving a threat pose with her wings. These bugs don't hop away when threatened, they come after you with a vengeance! The two look almost identical, I can only tell the two apart in that Shub-Niggurath is a bit darker and has a slight misalignment in her wings that makes the hindwing somewhat visible. They also have different personalities. Aylith loves crickets - while Shub-Niggurath will tend to avoid them when I give her one (she readily takes mealworms though). Shubby also tends to hold her prey in her jaws for an extended period of time, perhaps because she doesn't like me that much and sometimes gets skittish and drops whatever she has to hop off.

They also have the longest antennae I've ever seen on a bug. Four inches each.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

@ dreadmeat: That makes a lot more sense, come to think of it

@ Goatfangs: Holy shit, that katydid looks ferocious! The grasshopper is really neat looking though. The patterns on its exoskeleton are beautiful.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
When I was out doing research in Indonesia, I went to the bathroom to take a leak first thing one morning, and there was a big ass monitor lizard sat over the waste hole in the floor, just staring at me all like "Yes bro, can I help you?"

Monitor lizards are rad.

Their brazilian relatives, teiús, must be the asshole cousins of the family then cause I've never saw any one of them stare at people with anything but pure, unadulterated hate.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 am 

As cool as monitor lizards are, I feel the need to point out how they're also damn creepy. Seriously, have you looked one of those things in the eye? They look smart. Too smart.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:
*I even felt bad about killing ants I've seen on my computer table recently... Bad enough that I'd squish them as quickly as possible just to get rid of them, and then eat them to feel justified in doing so. Not fucking joking. I'm a total pussy.

To be fair, arthropods in general are a great source of protein. I'd suggest something more substantial than ants though.

They're just an occasional snack. Not my main source of nutrition.

Not sure if I should be flattered or embarrassed that my confession about eating ants to suppress guilt resulted in three consecutive replies of befuddlement... I'M GOING WITH FLATTERED. :hail:

Oh, yeah, and a mockingbird got into the cafeteria at the school where I custode (IDK if that's a real word) today... Me and three other people spent at least half an hour trying to get it out. I felt really worried because it was getting super-tired and freaked out, and a couple of the people were getting impatient and one even threw his shoe at it.

It was pretty distressing. ;_;

We had to turn out all the lights because the damn bird kept trying to escape through them, even with three doors and a window open.

Well, those two co-workers got fed up and left, and I finally decided to try a tactic of getting it close the an exit and then charging at it, which actually managed to work better than just clapping and yowling at it every time it landed (haha)...

I must admit, I felt a pathetic sense of smug self-satisfaction for being the one to get the bird out of the building, partly because it took that much fucking doing, but also because I "RESTORED BALANCE" in the cafeteria and got the bird back out into its natural habitat unharmed.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:

Monitor lizards are rad.

He was monitoring you. In a bathroom, of all places.
That's pretty kinky.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm 

So my wife's been feeding a few of the local squirrels and so now every time they see us they come a running for some peanuts. It's actually really cute.

ImageImageImageImage

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm 

Those little furry guys are so darn cute. Don't try petting them though...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Those little furry guys are so darn cute. Don't try petting them though...

I did pet them actually and I have a video to prove it. I tried posting it but it didn't work and I don't know how to post it in a working format.

Azmodes wrote:

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm 

Wow, that's so cool! I just assumed that they would take a bite at a hand that tried to pet them.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 pm 

Yeah the little buggers nipped me a few times but nothing serious I barely even felt it. I'm hopefule that they'll get used to it soon so I can actually pick them up and play with them.

Azmodes wrote:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 am 

Some kind of online video converter perhaps?
Doesn't youtube have that option?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 am 

having some laffs with my pets today:

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:28 am 

I'm confused about the colors. Explain.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:35 am 

I'd say the inside of a tube was painted/coated then they crawled through...

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 am 

Jeez this thread is full of scary looking bugs :ugh:

This critter used to turn up outside my place and liked to curl up on my lap, she lives in France now :(

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
I'd say the inside of a tube was painted/coated then they crawled through...

No no, was bored so coloured them in with highlighter. Still find it hilarious.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 pm 

aw :[

I wouldn't feel right about doing that... unless I was wasted and had a blacklight on nearby, in which case I'd think it was fucking hilarious.

A friend of mine has/had a white rat. She was so cute... I miss seeing her. She would always crawl inside my shirt, though, and I was often too afraid of squeezing her to death to pull her out... She liked snuggling in arm pits, as I recall.

Rats are gr8...

Cats, too. I have so many cats, you guys.
I have enough cats that I could devote a whole thread to them.

LIVING IN CAT CITY (CAT HAMLET, AT LEAST), MY FRIEND. YOU BET IT STINKS.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm 

Yesterday, while feeding my bugs and cleaning their cages (The Red Eyed Devils shit EVERYWHERE) - out of the blue a Camel Cricket hops onto my head, then immediately off into an open container.

I thought one of my grasshoppers had escaped, since I had just finished cleaning their cage. The Schistocerca in there are sneaky devils too, especially the male S. americana. But instead I saw it was a Camel Cricket with its big legs and long antennae and I was like "awwww!"

I found a lid to the container it hopped into and trapped it. They are very tricky to catch! I took a few photos and took him outside to set him free.

Speaking of Schistocerca (which is the genus that includes S. gregaria, the only Old World species. That, my friends, is the legendary Desert Locust) - I found a baby green grasshopper in that genus while I was in Florida. I had hoped to find Eastern Lubber grasshoppers, but didn't. I find this cute little green hopper though, and she has grown quite a bit. She's now larger, yellow and bears a passing resemblance to Dead.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:32 am 

When I woke up this morning, I found this mid-sized moth fluttering in the corner. It seemed injured and now I think it's dead :(

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 pm 

One of my cats loves murdering moths, when I find one in my house rarely it isn't all torn up and near death, except of course when the cat brings the corpse to show it off to me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next