Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:49 am 

Unded Infidel wrote:
Had to sleep and deal with camel spiders for a few months in Afghan, nasty ass spiders, and I'm a pussy when it comes to bugs period. They crawled on our sleeping bags and what not. Safe to say they ruined me ever overcoming my fear of spiders lol. Found three in one night as big as my hand, one continued to chase me after i smashed it with a mallet. I believe satan shit these things out and let them reproduce.

FUCK THAT! Those bastards are ugly, hostile, vile critters.

Unded Infidel wrote:
cicadas are relaxing to me lol. actually in the Chicago area theres like a thing where every 17 years or so this plague of cicadas invade for a while. it's annoying to all hell. dont know if anywhere else experiences that though.

Every summer here in Oz, these guys hatch, climb into the Eucalyptus trees and go fucking crazy! Standing in the bush out of the city on a hot summer day, these bugs can be damn near deafening.

While I was recovering from an abscessed wisdom tooth in a far north Queensland hospital (where bird eating spiders the size of dinner plates sometimes wander) I saw a shadow crawling along the hospital ceiling. Having just heard about these large, angry spiders I was shitting myself thinking this was one them! Turned out to be a gecko hunting insects :lol:

My collection

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:53 am 

i just about pissed myself at the 'hostile' insect reference :lol:
house geckos would be handy i reckon, they'd eat all the bugs and stuff

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 am 

Haha indeed. Was a bloody weird sight to see in a hospital though.

My collection

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 am 

A disorientated, perhaps somewhat immature owl flew into my window once, in the middle of the day, which we rescued and allowed to sit around in the kitchen for a while before it flew on its way. While birds flying into windows is pretty common, I've never heard of owls doing so before or since.

There are mice where I live just now that I've literally seen running through a room bedecked with five or six mousetraps, completely ignoring them and practically yelling "fuck you!" at the top of it's mousy lungs. The joke turned when we managed to capture it under an upturned drawer though.

The UK really suffers when it comes to animal stories because for the most part all of the animals are small and beige.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 am 

Probably the worst animal encounter for me was an attempted gangrape by an army of jellyfish coming out of nowhere, almost like in the movie Sphere. Luckily I had protection in the form of a drysuit and got out with only my neck severely grilled. Good thing I'm not scared of jellyfish and didn't panic. Most spiders are harmless and they scare me way more, ha.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:28 pm 

Back when I lived in Cape Town We'd get occasionally visited by all sorts of Scorpions (none of which fatally venomous), ranging from the size of a bee all the way to the OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT'S HUGE variety (so in Scorpion terms, nearly the size of a girls hand or something).

There's a wide variety of colourful, metallic looking beetles too, most commonly this kind: Image which are pretty cool. I went on Safari and such, and just driving 20 mins out of town will get you into Baboon territory (anyone curious about their behaviour, there's a reason their name rhymes with Racoon. Apposable thumbs = garbage everywhere with their primate strength and balls giving them the ability to snatch a sandwhich right out of your hand, true story.) but I can't say I had any real kinda wild animal encounter there.

Back in Canada a Beaver was just randomly chilling in my cousins backyard in Newmarket, which is odd but not THAT odd, considering the Holland River is around (although it's really dirty and definitely not a preferred habitat for a Beaver). We made eye contact and it chilled for a few more mins then waddled away. Other than my other cousin chasing down a deer while camping that's about it.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:44 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well..... Maybe it means something. Have they inspired you to do anything heroic/wear black tights?

Haha, god I wish.

Unded Infidel wrote:
cicadas are relaxing to me lol. actually in the Chicago area theres like a thing where every 17 years or so this plague of cicadas invade for a while. it's annoying to all hell. dont know if anywhere else experiences that though.

Yes! This happened here back in like 2004/2005. They were fucking everywhere.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:54 am 

glad i am not the only person who gets bats in their house i have also had 3

possum is living in my roof right now i think, i hear foxes often and sometimes see snakes, have many many spiders in my house but as long as they cant harm me or my pets i dont mind

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

i was hoping for more photos in this thread :crash:
new zealand has some bats apparently, i've never even seen one though

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

Unded Infidel wrote:

I happen to really enjoy the cicada years around here I love that sound.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 am 

i live in the country in australia so we definitely get some amazing Cicada's

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 am 

Unded Infidel wrote:
Had to sleep and deal with camel spiders for a few months in Afghan, nasty ass spiders.

the 'GIANT' ones?

those fuckers look more worrisome than a bloody scorpion!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Unded Infidel wrote:

I happen to really enjoy the cicada years around here I love that sound.

the only thing I like about them is how they leave cool exoskeleton husks attached to trees.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
i just about pissed myself at the 'hostile' insect reference :lol:
house geckos would be handy i reckon, they'd eat all the bugs and stuff

house geckos? is that what they have in Fiji? those little guys think they own the place.

is anyone else amused that this thread seems to have attracted all the Australasian folk? lol what's up with that.

p.s.
fuck you! (Hypocrisy is doing 4 shows in Aussie and NONE here)

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm 

thought i would just post this so people know they have it pretty good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:19 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Unded Infidel wrote:
Had to sleep and deal with camel spiders for a few months in Afghan, nasty ass spiders.

the 'GIANT' ones?

those fuckers look more worrisome than a bloody scorpion!

lol yeah they were pretty big, I'm used to tiny little cute spiders but these things were as big as my hand. We actually caught a camel spider and a scorpion and made them fight each other. Scorpion won, but I would rather find a scorpion than a camel spider.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 pm 

Unded Infidel wrote:
Had to sleep and deal with camel spiders for a few months in Afghan, nasty ass spiders, and I'm a pussy when it comes to bugs period. They crawled on our sleeping bags and what not. Safe to say they ruined me ever overcoming my fear of spiders lol. Found three in one night as big as my hand, one continued to chase me after i smashed it with a mallet. I believe satan shit these things out and let them reproduce.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
They entered your tents? Jesus.... *shudders*

^ This, folks, is why soldiers deserve medals of courage. xD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:29 pm 

i saw a bird bashing one of my little skinks on a rock yesterday :(

did you guys know the spiders they used in the movie arachnophobia are just avondale spiders from avondale, auckland, new zealand
they are fairly common in the rest of auckland too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delena_cancerides

edit: apparently they are another aussie import...
Delena Cancerides

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:10 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
i saw a bird bashing one of my little skinks on a rock yesterday :(

did you guys know the spiders they used in the movie arachnophobia are just avondale spiders from avondale, auckland, new zealand
they are fairly common in the rest of auckland too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delena_cancerides

edit: apparently they are another aussie import...
Delena Cancerides

Yeah huntsman spiders are really common, we actually had one on our bedroom wall last night before we went to bed.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:10 pm 

Huntsmen can get ridiculously huge.

Erotetic wrote:
house geckos? is that what they have in Fiji? those little guys think they own the place.

We got them here, too. So, so many of them.

In other news, there was a real big skink in the house recently. I had to chase it around til it went out the door before the cat could get to it. I'd find a picture, but I don't know what species it was, just that it was a skink and huge (not a bluetongue, though).

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:

haha, that's a long-running joke amongst my mates. I reckon Sacryphyx should write a song about that.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 pm 

I live next to a pizza joint and I'm always having to deal with fat-as-fuck raccoons that think they own the damn block.

When bats get into the house, my cat springs up and destroys them. But I always have to take the prize away from him, since bats are shitty and rabid.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

haha, that's a long-running joke amongst my mates. I reckon Sacryphyx should write a song about that.

lol not australia's proudest moment if i am going to be honest :P and someone should write a song about being defeated by emu's :p

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
When bats get into the house, my cat springs up and destroys them. But I always have to take the prize away from him, since bats are shitty and rabid.

Your cat seems to be a badass animal, Wombat.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 pm 

my fairly small bush house filled up with cicadas at about 2am a few years ago, i left one of those mosquito coils burning when i went out, when i got home the place was full of smoke so i opened all the windows to let it out, nek minnit, the place fills up with proper big arse bush cicadas, i must have wasted about 40 of them before going to bed :grumble:

the same house had avondale spiders and huge dragonflies, one day a bird flew straight into my lounge wall and snapped it's beak off in the ply wood [which i discovered a couple of days later]

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:47 am 

When I was with my family for our Yearly Secular Picnic Lunch in the Mountains earlier today, a big ol' goanna came ambling out of the scrub to hang out near us. He was probably hoping for a handout.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:15 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

I found him on the side of the road when, at my estimate, he was only about 2 weeks old. Apparently, someone had a litter of kittens they did not want and they left them to die. He was emaciated and had a bad respiratory infection. I thought for sure he would die.

No. He's just a badass.

The last bat that he killed was flying at about my eye-level, so about 5.5 feet or so. He leaped, from a standing position, from the floor and killed it in one motion. Impressive.

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:50 pm 

Watersnake, porcupine, opposums, bats, lizards (same species as the one in Marag’s picture), but what takes the cake is a turtle which appeared out of nowhere, and I live at least a mile from the closest creek or lake.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:25 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I found him on the side of the road when, at my estimate, he was only about 2 weeks old. Apparently, someone had a litter of kittens they did not want and they left them to die. He was emaciated and had a bad respiratory infection. I thought for sure he would die.

No. He's just a badass.

The last bat that he killed was flying at about my eye-level, so about 5.5 feet or so. He leaped, from a standing position, from the floor and killed it in one motion. Impressive.

Dude, that's an awesome story, and it was seriously cool of you to do that. I approve :thumbsup:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm 

Agreed.

And lol @ the bat catcher, that's awesome. <3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:07 am 

Back in college once, we had these little fuzzy things. That was what we actually called them, they were in reality some kind of ratty looking ground squirrel things. But they were everywhere, they lived in holes underneath the foundations of the dormitories, and to us, they were just called "The Little Fuzzy Things." The college was up in a wooded area in the hills above the town, and wildlife encounters of all types were pretty common up there, in fact- skunks turning up inside of broom closets, five inch hairy spiders running across the courtyards at night, whole legions of racoons pillaging dumpsters, and that sort of thing.

So after one night of heavy drinking, one of our buddies puked in the alley behind the dorm. We had hosted a party and polished off a full keg in the dorm that night. (Attitudes toward student drinking were more permissive back then, obviously; good luck getting away with even one frickin' beer in a dorm room nowadays!) The next morning, we were in the lounge overlooking the alley way, having a couple beers. We looked out the window, and there, below us, was a Little Fuzzy Thing happily scarfing down the vomit my buddy had left the night before. Some people still thought those things were cute. We stopped thinking so right after that moment. At least now we know why there were so many of them living around the dorms!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 am 

Living just off bushland has its perks. We get a lot of cute possums hanging around the gumtree adjacent to our veranda, as well as having bandicoots running around. Some bush turkeys have taken up residence next door, and we used to have some blue tongue lizards living in the backyard. Not too long ago a water dragon was hanging out the front of our house.

And of course we have a huge amount of spiders coming in and out, only one or two run-ins with snakes, though.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 am 

It's fairly common to see these fuckers around:

They're locally called ' Mother of the snakes', they go up to 30 cm long.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm 

Holy shit I'd crap myself if I found one.

Let's see....

Had one of these sitting down the street from my house once staring at some prey back in about 2005. I've yet to see one again though

Found this beast on the side of my house by the trashcans a couple years ago in the late summer. They're pretty rare here but they're pretty damn cool.

Found one of these spazzing out in front of a door at my last college. I thought it was a blowing leaf at first, thing was about the size of my palm.

I find the caterpillar to this around my place every once in a while.

I found a wandering turkey near my community college back in 2007, but the uni I used to go to had turkeys all over the place (it was near a huge wooded area).

but the weirdest, was when I found a white tailed deer just walking down my block like nothing was wrong. The closest wooded area is probably about 8 blocks away at least, so it's a bit far out for the thing to be showing up. They were commonplace near my uni though, because of the aforementioned wooded area.

Oxenkiller wrote:
Back in college once, we had these little fuzzy things. That was what we actually called them, they were in reality some kind of ratty looking ground squirrel things.

Sounds like chipmunks

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:46 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
It's fairly common to see these fuckers around:

Spoiler: show

They're locally called ' Mother of the snakes', they go up to 30 cm long.

What in the name of hell are those things? 30 cm?! Is there some shady nuclear plant near your location or what, Kveldulfr?!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:34 pm 

finally some photos...

they must mean 30mm, please tell me it's 30mm :o

chipmunks > vomit squirrels :lol:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:21 pm 

yeah, actually the "Little Fuzzy Things"/vomit squirrels were a type of ground squirrel. We do have some wierd ass bugs over here in Idaho, too. That picture up above (First photo in Morbidengels post) looks like a praying mantis- around late summer these things are common around here, people just pick them up and carry them around for luck; they are totally harmless albiet quite large (up to 3-4 inches.)

Every few years the foothills and range lands around here will be infested with these crickets.

They are large, brown and black, up to 3 inches long, and you can see swarms of hundreds of them. They eat all types of grass and plants- and each other. For instance, if a car runs a bunch of them over while crossing the road (happens quite frequently) then other crickets will come along and eat the smashed ones, then those get run over, and pretty soon you will have "cricket slicks" where the roadway will be covered with cricket guts, and it has actually caused accidents because it's like an oil slick. Believe it or not, I'm not making this up. And people who have never seen these things typically freak out when they see one, but to us, after a while these 3" crickets are just like ants, we don't even notice them after a while.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:27 pm 

Yeah, it's a praying mantis. I usually find one in a whole year at most. Used to get wolf spiders here too. They're big as shit, but not tarantula big.

and dear fucking god that pic is scary

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:30 pm 

Aaaaaaw, I want to carry a mantis around like a parrot! :( I'd call it Murray.....

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

we get loads of praying mantises here [in the season for them] the tiny little baby ones are quite cute i reckon
they are wicked hunters, they keep the garden etc in check :nods:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next