Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:33 pm 

I use the term 'Reg' Rock, AKA "Regular Rock", to denominate modern rock bands who sound like classic rock/classic hard rock and classic hardcore (my favourite right now is Witchcraft). Meant to be used to more as a reaction to Alt Rock/Alternative, I'm wondering if "reg rock" is the correct term to use, if there has to be one.

I don't want to use 'rock'.
In this twisted world, even Ke$ha, Lil Wayne, Black Eyed Peas, and Katy Perry are sometimes (often depending on the tween-ness of the site) called 'rock.' (Can you believe this?) And when 'rock' does get through, it's used to describe alt rock/modern punk bands such as Green Day, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Fallout Boy, Three Days Grace, and My Chemical Romance- fine bands all of them, but not what I was looking for. When someone really knows just a bit more about rock, you might expect modern Metallica and Limp Bizkit or Korn to get thrown in there. If a hardcore alt fan, you might remember Jane's Addiction, R.E.M, The Pixies, and Tool. Then there's classic alt, britpop, experimental... And even some bands that sound like Reg Rock, such as Living Colour.
Nowadays, pop punk, rap core, and emo screamo are popular, 'specially amongst hipsters and emos to no one's surprise, and only metal bands that have an alt sound seem to get any attention.

All fine. Well... mostly fine. But just about all of what I said is alt rock (arguable with Metallica, but Lulu isn't helping), and not "reg rock". Alt rock, whether it be modern emo-pop punk or classic new-wave early alt, comes off as very emotional and accessible.

When I think of reg rock, the first thing I look for is the likes of guitar solos and good riffs (Lenny Kravitz comes to mind). The easiest way for me to accept a band as 'reg rock' is for them to play blues rock- for some off reason, blues rock seems to be the most rooted in classic rock of any genre save some trad doom. Add Wolfmother, Rival Sons, White Stripes, and Radio Moscow, with some Stream of Sorrow and Witchcraft added in. Boom. Blues rock extraordinaire. If you want trad metal, then you know who to add (hopefully). Electric Moon, in their sexual psyche-rock style, I also add to the mix because of their '60s synth heavy psychedelic rock style.
All in all, think of rock/hard rock/doom metal/southern rock/trad metal/art rock/blues rock/psychedelic rock as it had been 1982 and back, and you'd have 'reg rock'. Heavy riffs, great solos, powerful vocals, usage of synths now and again, varieties of experimentation (Far eastern was popular) and wonderful backbeats- maybe some imperfections here and there, but nothings perfect, and reg rock uses its imperfections for additional great musicianship or great rock and roll. That being said, even some old school punk bands can be considered Reg Rock.

Not trying to sound racist, sexist, or classist here, but generally it was long haired, working class white kids armed with guitars. The easiest examples would be Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and The Who, but you can't forget Mountain, Cream, AC/DC, UFO, Blue Cheer, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Judas Priest, Heart, Journey, Uriah Heep, The Yardbirds, The Doors, Cactus, Vanilla Fudge, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Coven, Rush, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Head Machine, Twisted Sister, The Ramones, and of course The Beatles, but not forgetting many other acts. Reg rocks seems to say 'screw emotions, I WANT TO ROCK" or uses emotions to a rather aggressive or extremely dark effect. But is this right?

Is Reg Rock a good label, and what more could be added to it? How would you musically compare Reg Rock to Alt Rock? Blues rock is making a comeback in some parts, so does this hint at a Reg Rock revival? Do any of these labels really matter? And, last but not least, is Reg Rock now "Alt Rock"?

(Expanding on that last question- Alt rock got its name partially because it was underground (i.e. college rock/indie rock), and had no way of achieving true mainstream attention, and the dominant force of rock was Reg Rock. Now the tables have turned, and 'alt rock' is the mainstream. You can't find a 'reg rock' song on modern rock to save your life; at least until recently. So is Reg Rock now 'alt rock'?)

Last edited by The SHM on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

In the broadest sense of the definition, "rock music" encompasses a lot more than we think it does, colloquially. In that sense, you could classify most distinctly American music as "rock music". I think that in the end, unless you're looking for academic precision, what you call a genre of music doesn't matter as long as you can effectively communicate the style.

If the whole meaning behind "alternative" rock is simply the underground implication (which, as I recall, isn't true), then it's a highly arbitrary label anyway..

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:28 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
In the broadest sense of the definition, "rock music" encompasses a lot more than we think it does, colloquially. In that sense, you could classify most distinctly American music as "rock music". I think that in the end, unless you're looking for academic precision, what you call a genre of music doesn't matter as long as you can effectively communicate the style.

If the whole meaning behind "alternative" rock is simply the underground implication (which, as I recall, isn't true), then it's a highly arbitrary label anyway..

I know there's more to alternative than 'underground', but the general feel is that, because it was underground for so long, it is/was UG music.
And I was referring to "rock-n-roll" rock. Guitar and all.

Fallen Soldier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm 

I don't know. The world Is getting crazy. I don't think that Avril Lavgine Is like a "punk princess". And there are a lot of gay bands that people call "alt" like Panic!At the disco.<-------(what the hell??!!!?!)

Primate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm 

A lot of these so called ''Post-grunge'' bands (Nickelback, Creed etc.) have always just struck me as either plain regular rock or hard rock. There's certainly not much punk influence in Nickelback or Creed's Music, and i'm baffled as to why they're constantly categorized as Alternative by the media.

Reply to topic