Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 pm 

For those who don't know what it means, "kaiju" is a Japanese phrase meaning "strange beast" or (giant) "monster". That means Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, Mothra, Rodan, Gorgo, and all the like. I've been such a fanboy of these movies since I was like 5. Anyone else here into kaiju or tokusatsu (Japanese special FX films) stuff?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:15 pm 

I was huge into Godzilla movies as a kid. I used to see them pretty often on TV then when I had pretty much seen all there was to see I used to rent 'em on VHS from the local video store. Netflix instant-watch used to have a boatload of old kaiju movies but sadly there are only one or two left on there, I think. I had all of them in my instant queue but they got taken down before I got a chance to marathon them all.

What did you think of Pacific Rim? Did a really good job of carrying the kaiju torch, I think. Shitloads better than that awful 1998 Godzilla movie.

Does Cloverfield count? I liked that a lot, too, though it is a different feel to a regular kaiju movie.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:19 am 

I really dug Pacific Rim; even despite its numerous cliches, I really dug it. Hell, everybody I know, my mom, my brother, even my girlfriend dug that movie.

As for Cloverfield...yeah, I guess it is a kaiju film...just not a very good one IMO.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am 

Baragon is so cute when he tries to fight Godzilla.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 am 

I used to like Godzilla movies when I was young, King Caesar & Gigan are my favorite monsters from those movies.

A little off topic but fans of kaiju movies should check out The Giant Claw. Same wacky giant monster fun.
Spoiler: show

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:48 am 

I always liked the retarded (literally) looking t-rex. what was it called, gorosaurus?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm 

I used to love Godzilla movies. I still do, but I used to, too. It seems like the original Godzilla would be the obvious pick for my favorite G-movie, but I've really got to go with Godzilla 1985 instead. I know it's not as good, but I've always loved it. For one thing, I really like how he looked in that movie, and his roar was really cool and vicious. I really liked the way his atomic breath looked too. And that ending... ok, if I'm honest, if I've had enough to drink, it still makes me cry. His cries were so plaintive. There are a couple of G-movies that I don't care much for, however. Godzilla's Revenge is one. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is another, although it does have its wacky charm. Godzilla vs. Megalon never did much for me. I have mixed feelings about Godzilla vs. Gigan, because Gigan is such a cheap little bitch, and a coward. Movies that I do really like include Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Godzilla Raids Again (because it's so off-kilter and confused and entertaining), Godzilla vs. the Thing, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and actually a lot of the 90s and millennium movies. I think they got really creative (not to mention crazy) in those last two decades. Plus, Godzilla easily destroying mini black holes with his breath remains the single best thing I've ever seen on screen or canvas.

Reply to topic