Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

Hey, I want to trade with my European metal brothers but the shipping prices are pretty crazy right now, what service do you guys use to send your CDs? I know cases can reduce cost by a bit but the base cost of sending something over seas seems to be too high for the package services i am using. Anyway to use a letter price?

Sent 8 cds to Hungary last week cost $31.50 all together.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 am 

When I did it, I sent it without the jewel case and wrapped them in plastic wrap. I don't remember the exact price, but it was under $10.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am 

could usd some tips

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:01 pm 

There really isn't a cheap way to ship internationally. About all you can do to lessen the cost is loose the jewel cases and use barely any packing materials to lighten up the package. If you're sending a decent amount of stuff at once ty the flat rate packages you'll find at the post office and cram as much shit in there as you can. That's about all you can do really.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm 

First class international with the discs plastic wrapped and the booklets held stiff by a piece of cardboard. Never ship jewel cases internationally, you'd probably cut the price more than in half by packing it like that.

rotwang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:55 pm 

Quote:
There really isn't a cheap way to ship internationally. About all you can do to lessen the cost is loose the jewel cases and use barely any packing materials to lighten up the package. If you're sending a decent amount of stuff at once ty the flat rate packages you'll find at the post office and cram as much shit in there as you can. That's about all you can do really.

^This. I'm not sure if you're able to weigh your shipments before sending them out, but if the package is under 12 ounces you shouldn't have to spend more than $15 on international postage. Flat rate is probably best though; if you're not using flat rate boxes, put the CDs in the smallest possible box that won't break them since larger boxes cost more to ship, especially overseas.
I am doing this because this is my passion, I live for making music. So I sink all my time, energy and money into this. And who buys it? Nobody. Do I care? No. It's not going to stop me. It never should.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

There are calculators available online that have average weights for cds and such. As said, there is no really cheap way. As also said, consider flat rate boxes. Calculate the cost and then compare.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
There are calculators available online that have average weights for cds and such. As said, there is no really cheap way. As also said, consider flat rate boxes. Calculate the cost and then compare.

Been playing with the usps.com calculator, and i really cannot find anything better. I guess it cost me so much because those god damn Marduk booklets are just fat and heavy. Really unfortunate though, hope that things get better in the future, or a private company gets their shit together and lets people ship small/light stuff for reasonable prices.

last time it was 1pound 4ounces for 8 cds/booklets/backing, did i use too much packing materials?

edit; Ill be shipping a single digipak tomorrow/thursday to Italy, does anyone have any tips for sending single CDs/Digipaks? I dont have a box that small, would sandwiching it between a few cardboard pieces and taping the sides be alright?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:53 am 

Huldrelok wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Been playing with the usps.com calculator, and i really cannot find anything better. I guess it cost me so much because those god damn Marduk booklets are just fat and heavy. Really unfortunate though, hope that things get better in the future, or a private company gets their shit together and lets people ship small/light stuff for reasonable prices.

last time it was 1pound 4ounces for 8 cds/booklets/backing, did i use too much packing materials?

edit; Ill be shipping a single digipak tomorrow/thursday to Italy, does anyone have any tips for sending single CDs/Digipaks? I dont have a box that small, would sandwiching it between a few cardboard pieces and taping the sides be alright?

What I did with the last few cd's I've sold, was wrap the albums in plastic wrap a few times, then get two pieces of printing paper and tape it like a gift. As far as your price comment, it's only going to go up, since less and less people mail stuff(I've gone all digital myself) and more post offices are closing.

Reply to topic