Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm 
 

Thank you Riffs. Seconding everything he said, which I didn't because I found TheExodusAttack's post/views too mind numbing and idiotic to respond to.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Fearphobia
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 am
Posts: 91
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:00 pm 
 

@Riffs: I have a question for you: What is the difference between the kind of beats in popular music that TheExodusAttack mentioned with Kesha etc. and that of EBM (Leæther Strip, Suicide Commando, Mordacious etc.) The downbeat is certainly different in EMB, to make it less catchy. How is popular music worse than EBM when it is just slightlier more accessible? After all we are comparing music that is popular against what is not, and you act like that music is the worst in existence "mind-numbing beats" when there are tonnes of unpopular music that is also purely beat based with that thudding bass.
You're laughably ignorant if you think the "uncultivated dweebs" are better than the electro goths and rivetheads that flock to that kind of EBM music. Care to take a shit on them also?

Top
 Profile  
SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 442
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:29 pm 
 

I think Pop music is pretty fucking excellent right now.

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
 

Riffs wrote:
I don't have to pretend I like shit music just because other people do. And it doesn't mean I poop on everyone else party. And I think there's tons of music appropriate for every other occasions that a lot of people seem to neglect. I've certainly never had any problems filling my place with great people (many who aren't metalheads) despite not playing that kind of crappy "chill" music.


That's really weird becasue I tell people I listen to shitty music (metal/punk/everything). I understand where Exodus is coming from and I enjoy some pop mostly because of my girlfriend. In the end, no one cares about other peoples opinions and telling people what is bad and what is good makes you look like an asshole. Just have fun.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 891
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:15 pm 
 

Fearphobia wrote:
@Riffs: I have a question for you: What is the difference between the kind of beats in popular music that TheExodusAttack mentioned with Kesha etc. and that of EBM (Leæther Strip, Suicide Commando, Mordacious etc.) The downbeat is certainly different in EMB, to make it less catchy. How is popular music worse than EBM when it is just slightlier more accessible? After all we are comparing music that is popular against what is not, and you act like that music is the worst in existence "mind-numbing beats" when there are tonnes of unpopular music that is also purely beat based with that thudding bass.
You're laughably ignorant if you think the "uncultivated dweebs" are better than the electro goths and rivetheads that flock to that kind of EBM music. Care to take a shit on them also?


I don't know what electro goths have to do with the subject at hand, so they're pretty irrelevant. You will excuse me if I don't follow your links but luckily enough, I know about Suicide Commando from a friend who is into them and I think it's crappy and boring.

But you're missing the point of my message. My message has little to do with my subjective taste in music. Everybody here could share their taste and we're very likely never to find a perfect match. Nobody cares about that.

My disagreement had to do with the way people who don't like that kind of music are portrayed by TheExodusAttack as "uncool" or somehow "out of touch" or party poopers or incapable of having fun. That's fucking bullshit.

And I'm paraphrasing here, but some of the quotes literally meant "you should listen to that sort of inane shit because everybody else likes it and you'll blend in".

Oh yeah guys! Kanye in da house! Whoop! Whoop!

Fuck. That. Shit.

It makes absolutely no sense to get into stuff because of an insecure desire to belong. That's just a miserable way to spend your time on this planet. And I think it's idiotic to think people who don't do that are automatically not "cool" or "fun".

But if you want us to discuss what I think of whichever gloriously bad and vacuous artist out there strikes your fancy, I'm not gonna be of much help because those things are rarely productive other than to know where someone else stands.
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 442
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 pm 
 

Riffs wrote:
Oh yeah guys! Kanye in da house! Whoop! Whoop!

Fuck. That. Shit.

You seriously dislike Kanye? Do you dislike blowjobs too?

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 891
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
 

SluseTheInventor wrote:
Riffs wrote:
Oh yeah guys! Kanye in da house! Whoop! Whoop!

Fuck. That. Shit.

You seriously dislike Kanye? Do you dislike blowjobs too?


LOL!

I don't care for Kanye West at all. The only thing I remember was that 30 minute movie with a phoenix-girl, but the music was lame and I can't say it left any impression.

I'd take a BJ from bird chick, though.

Image
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
Fearphobia
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 am
Posts: 91
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:59 pm 
 

Riffs wrote:
Fearphobia wrote:
@Riffs: I have a question for you: What is the difference between the kind of beats in popular music that TheExodusAttack mentioned with Kesha etc. and that of EBM (Leæther Strip, Suicide Commando, Mordacious etc.) The downbeat is certainly different in EMB, to make it less catchy. How is popular music worse than EBM when it is just slightlier more accessible? After all we are comparing music that is popular against what is not, and you act like that music is the worst in existence "mind-numbing beats" when there are tonnes of unpopular music that is also purely beat based with that thudding bass.
You're laughably ignorant if you think the "uncultivated dweebs" are better than the electro goths and rivetheads that flock to that kind of EBM music. Care to take a shit on them also?


I don't know what electro goths have to do with the subject at hand, so they're pretty irrelevant. You will excuse me if I don't follow your links but luckily enough, I know about Suicide Commando from a friend who is into them and I think it's crappy and boring.

But you're missing the point of my message. My message has little to do with my subjective taste in music. Everybody here could share their taste and we're very likely never to find a perfect match. Nobody cares about that.

My disagreement had to do with the way people who don't like that kind of music are portrayed by TheExodusAttack as "uncool" or somehow "out of touch" or party poopers or incapable of having fun. That's fucking bullshit.

And I'm paraphrasing here, but some of the quotes literally meant "you should listen to that sort of inane shit because everybody else likes it and you'll blend in".

Oh yeah guys! Kanye in da house! Whoop! Whoop!

Fuck. That. Shit.

It makes absolutely no sense to get into stuff because of an insecure desire to belong. That's just a miserable way to spend your time on this planet. And I think it's idiotic to think people who don't do that are automatically not "cool" or "fun".

But if you want us to discuss what I think of whichever gloriously bad and vacuous artist out there strikes your fancy, I'm not gonna be of much help because those things are rarely productive other than to know where someone else stands.


Electro goths have everything to do with the subject at hand. At the end of the day you are criticizing electro-pop which is basically dance / club music (correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't heard any Kesha and so on) and calling them "uncultivated" just for going to a club and enjoying themselves. It's the same with Rivetheads and Goths , as Dark Electro and EBM spawns from Industrial and more significantly from the Goth club scene. I'm into a lot of this kind of music as well as Metal which is why I called you out on it. Goth clubs are also much more social friendly than regular clubs as you can dance like mad without making unnecessary body contact - you don't have grinding, uncultivated sloppy drunks or any of that nonsense.

You say Metalheads are not incapable of having fun yet they do more bitching and whining about this kind of music than Punks, Goths, Emos and Hipsters combined. At metal festivals their idea of fun is no better than than the morons on Jersey Shore, going around shouting "SWAG" and doing drugs. Really from what I've seen metalheads are just as uncivilized as the people you criticized. You even called Suicide Commando boring when I did not ask for your opinion on him. I just asked what is the difference between the beats of EBM and electro-pop, as you just ignored unpopular music that is listened to for the exact same reason, and just attacked popular music. You can attack it all you want, it's just your argument is unbalanced when you ignore huge chunks of music. Anyone can pick a sample of some data to prove something, which is what you have tried to do there.

To be honest, TheExodusAttack has a point about being uncool. I have Asperger's and am extremely socially awkward. I'll admit I am uncool and probably one of the reasons I'll never be heavily into mainstream music. It's well documented that Metalheads are outsiders etc. in that film by Sam Dunn in 2005. It's not saying Metal fans can't be cool, but you don't see a lot of people at a club who listen to Metal. It's pretty much a fact.

Top
 Profile  
TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 am
Posts: 1749
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 pm 
 

Riffs wrote:
Lol, seriously? I was tempted to tell you to go fuck yourself but I figure you probably don't even know you're being insulting so I'm gonna try to figure out what you're trying to say here.
Riffs wrote:
They're playing the same songs over and over again because the target audience is uncultivated dweebs. Familiarity is very important for such people in all things. They react to new music the same way they react to that charming little restaurant with an actual chef. "Why don't we go to Taco Bell instead"?
Necroticism174 wrote:
I found TheExodusAttack's post/views too mind numbing and idiotic to respond to.


Charming.

Riffs wrote:
My disagreement had to do with the way people who don't like that kind of music are portrayed by TheExodusAttack as "uncool" or somehow "out of touch" or party poopers or incapable of having fun. That's fucking bullshit.

And I'm paraphrasing here, but some of the quotes literally meant "you should listen to that sort of inane shit because everybody else likes it and you'll blend in".
Riffs wrote:
It makes absolutely no sense to get into stuff because of an insecure desire to belong. That's just a miserable way to spend your time on this planet. And I think it's idiotic to think people who don't do that are automatically not "cool" or "fun".


Your problem here is you assume I "pretend" to like this music. You assume I listen to it only because I want to fit in. You assume that if only the mindless drones heard anything other than what's the radio, they'd realize what fools they've been and completely change their music tastes. But I've merely come to understand that there is a lot of great pop music out there, and the "chillness/fitting in" part I speak of is simply a byproduct of that. I don't consider music or metal to be some kind of "high art" that must be taken very seriously: it's just entertainment. Noise which sounds good and can be a lot of fun. This interpretation spans many genres of music. You assume I want to blend in to some sort of faceless crowd, but if anything I'm trying to skirt between as many genres as possible and enjoy as much as I can.

Fearphobia wrote:
Really from what I've seen metalheads are just as uncivilized as the people you criticized. You even called Suicide Commando boring when I did not ask for your opinion on him. I just asked what is the difference between the beats of EBM and electro-pop, as you just ignored unpopular music that is listened to for the exact same reason, and just attacked popular music.


BOOM. Take your unsolicited negative opinions about what other people like and keep them to yourself. The portion I highlighted is the exact kind of behavior I hate, have worked very hard to remove from myself, and encourage others to leave behind as well. Perhaps you feel very cultured and advanced/progressive for being a metalhead, but when someone hates on other genres of music or shits on new trends in metal like deathcore and djent, you're just being extremely dogmatic and conservative.

Like I said before, it's not so much about having to like pop music, because taste is subjective (duh) and everyone likes different things. It's more about how it sucks to be a cynical, negative asswipe who needs to let everyone know how much cooler he is because you "don't listen to that mainstream crap". Haters suck. Don't go on and on about how much you hate pop music, and just focus on promoting the awesome stuff you do like. Getting mad because I like Kanye West or Taylor Swift is straight embarrassing, dude.
_________________
casusluciferi666 on Meshuggah wrote:
No, they are not djent. Djent is deathcore meets Meshuggah ripoff, ie shit. Don't you dare use such blasphemous words to describe Meshuggah.
Varth wrote:
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 pm 
 

So you rail on Riffs because of assumptions he made, while doing the same thing? Do you really assume that Riffs, a grown ass man, when faced with pop music throws some kind of tantrum that's the equivalent of the personification of a YouTube comment on a Slipknot video and goes on and on about how shitty it is? I strongly doubt it. It's much more likely that he does what a logical person does and associates himself with people who have similar taste. I despise the simple and insipid audio turdage that is Kesha, but if I'm ever forced into a situation where it's played at a party, I'm much more likely to simply go to another room where it's not as loud than to whip out my cock and assert the dominance of Cannibal Corpse. You can enjoy it and you won't hear me be a debbie downer about it, but if you're honestly trying to debate it seriously, it's undeniable that modern pop is the McDonalds of music. Sure, some people like it and might even find it tasty. But it's stripped of any subtlety, there's nothing to really sink your teeth into, and you're most likely still hungry and unfulfilled afterwards.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 891
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:40 pm 
 

Fearphobia wrote:
Electro goths have everything to do with the subject at hand. At the end of the day you are criticizing electro-pop which is basically dance / club music (correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't heard any Kesha and so on) and calling them "uncultivated" just for going to a club and enjoying themselves. It's the same with Rivetheads and Goths Dark Electro and EBM spawns from Industrial and more significantly from the Goth club scene. I'm into a lot of this kind of music as well as Metal which is why I called you out on it.


It looks like despite my clarification, you still don't get it.

What I find ridiculous is the weird notion that you need to be in any kind of music to be "fun" or "cool".

I understand that you are into this kind of music. Good for you if you like it.

And I didn't say people were uncultivated for going into clubs. I've been there. I said this kind of music's main target audience today is uncultivated dweebs. That's a well-known fact if you've worked in the music or radio industry (which I have). Thus keeping the music as simple as possible, squeezing out any dynamics as possible from the mix and playing a limited number of songs on the radio over and over again. Someone was asking why that was the case, I gladly gave the explanation.

Fearphobia wrote:
You say Metalheads are not incapable of having fun yet they do more bitching and whining about this kind of music than Punks, Goths, Emos and Hipsters combined. At metal festivals their idea of fun is no better than than the morons on Jersey Shore, going around shouting "SWAG" and doing drugs. Really from what I've seen metalheads are just as uncivilized as the people you criticized.


I didn't call anyone uncivilized. But you just did ;)

I don't think about stuff like that in those terms.

It seems like you're really trying to assess the value of different kind of music as well as judge the behavior of those who are into a particular scene. From my point of view, you're the one making heavy-handed judgment calls.

I just know what I like and what I don't like. I'm not gonna make a head count for the number of people who are assholes in different scenes. What would that accomplish?

Fearphobia wrote:

To be honest, TheExodusAttack has a point about being uncool. I have Asperger's and am extremely socially awkward. I'll admit I am uncool and probably one of the reasons I'll never be heavily into mainstream music. It's well documented that Metalheads are outsiders etc. in that film by Sam Dunn in 2005. It's not saying Metal fans can't be cool, but you don't see a lot of people at a club who listen to Metal. It's pretty much a fact.


Man, I almost get a vibe of self-loathing reading your words here. Asperger can affect socialization and I'm sorry you have to cope with this. But I don't think you should de facto consider yourself "uncool". You have to go beyond labels as that because they aren't what defines you. You've already demonstrated that by coming here and telling me: "I like a certain type of music and I don't give a shit what you think about it."

And that's what it's all about for me. We are the sum of all these little things we do, we like and we think. And I take great exception with someone telling me that not liking some type of music makes people less fun. That's completely retarded.

I don't really like to label people as outsiders or not. I don't think it serves much purpose.

And who cares if we don't see a lot of people at clubs who listen to metal? There aren't a lot of people who like metal, period. I don't know a lot of people who play the bagpipes either but the one person I know who does is awesome, and fun and generous. And I love that when I meet people at parties they have all these different music tastes and occupations and cultural backgrounds and sometimes weird hobbies.

I only know of one person with Asperger and yeah, he's not the most sociable but he's currently learning Japanese (pretty lightning quick!) and that's not something people usually do but I find it so fucking awesome!
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 891
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 pm 
 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Riffs wrote:
My disagreement had to do with the way people who don't like that kind of music are portrayed by TheExodusAttack as "uncool" or somehow "out of touch" or party poopers or incapable of having fun. That's fucking bullshit.

And I'm paraphrasing here, but some of the quotes literally meant "you should listen to that sort of inane shit because everybody else likes it and you'll blend in".
Riffs wrote:
It makes absolutely no sense to get into stuff because of an insecure desire to belong. That's just a miserable way to spend your time on this planet. And I think it's idiotic to think people who don't do that are automatically not "cool" or "fun".


Your problem here is you assume I "pretend" to like this music. You assume I listen to it only because I want to fit in. You assume that if only the mindless drones heard anything other than what's the radio, they'd realize what fools they've been and completely change their music tastes. But I've merely come to understand that there is a lot of great pop music out there, and the "chillness/fitting in" part I speak of is simply a byproduct of that. I don't consider music or metal to be some kind of "high art" that must be taken very seriously: it's just entertainment. Noise which sounds good and can be a lot of fun. This interpretation spans many genres of music. You assume I want to blend in to some sort of faceless crowd, but if anything I'm trying to skirt between as many genres as possible and enjoy as much as I can.


I wasn't assuming. I was reacting to your very own words. You're the one who said people who can't be "down" with that type of music are not fun. I didn't assume you were close minded. You showed me you were by saying this.

I also didn't create stuff like "it's good to keep up with what's current so you can get into it when other people play it (which they will)". That's a direct quote from you.

I have no reason to think you don't genuinely like the music since you're saying you do. And I say good for you! Keep on enjoying it! And no, I don't think everybody would completely change their taste in music but I acknowledge that certain tastes take time to develop and limited exposure prevents some people from discovering other food, music, etc... that they would greatly enjoy but I don't think that,s a tragedy or anything, just so you know.

What I took exception with were your comments about people not being fun and how "useful" it is to get into the same stuff as everyone else. They suggested you see things very superficially. But maybe you don't. I don't know you, I only go by what you say.
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
Riffs
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am
Posts: 891
Location: Montréal, Québec
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:20 am 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
So you rail on Riffs because of assumptions he made, while doing the same thing? Do you really assume that Riffs, a grown ass man, when faced with pop music throws some kind of tantrum that's the equivalent of the personification of a YouTube comment on a Slipknot video and goes on and on about how shitty it is? I strongly doubt it. It's much more likely that he does what a logical person does and associates himself with people who have similar taste.


That's pretty much it, yeah. But I do have many friends who listen mostly (or almost exclusively) to that kind of pop music.

The guy I would consider my very best friend is one of them. I spent this last Friday night having dinner with him and a bunch of friends and one of the chicks had the great idea to bring all these songs from pop artists like Blink 182, Lady Gaga, all of them violating Christmas songs in the most inane and insincere way. Most of the guests were really excited which I found a little amusing but I don't act like a dick about it. They're really great people and many are great friends.

It doesn't ruin my evening or anything. Of course, I'd prefer if something a little more interesting was playing. But it's not like I would put some Rotting Christ at a holiday dinner either :p
_________________
mjollnir wrote:
Noble Beast's debut album is way beyond MOST of what Priest did in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
Fearphobia
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 am
Posts: 91
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:20 am 
 

Riffs wrote:

It looks like despite my clarification, you still don't get it.

What I find ridiculous is the weird notion that you need to be in any kind of music to be "fun" or "cool".

I understand that you are into this kind of music. Good for you if you like it.

And I didn't say people were uncultivated for going into clubs. I've been there. I said this kind of music's main target audience today is uncultivated dweebs. That's a well-known fact if you've worked in the music or radio industry (which I have). Thus keeping the music as simple as possible, squeezing out any dynamics as possible from the mix and playing a limited number of songs on the radio over and over again. Someone was asking why that was the case, I gladly gave the explanation.



Well I think the notion comes you define a cool person they are basically fashionable and popular, and popular music look good and are listened to by (usually) people with with a lot of friends. Even on those talent shows (America's go talent, X Factor etc.) It makes a difference on not the music but how you look, which is why they have The Voice now which takes away the physical appearance. A lot of pop music is essentially marketed towards fashion (you probably know this already.)

Also, the lyrics on radio music are usually about nothing, just whatever words fit the beat making nothing to deep and profound but just some jumbled message, in the same way popular music fans can make small talk and joke around. As an aspie, I hate small talk it's pointless. To me it's almost like stating the obvious and so I find it hard to relate to the music.

Really what it comes down to it, is unintelligent people don't have a hard time enjoying life (such as in the simple pleasures their type of music offers.) Geeks on the other hand are obsessive enthusiasts (the dictionary definition.) An obsessive person is easy to mock (i.e. someone spending a lot of their spare time listening to music or whatever should get a life.) Aspies also have narrow yet obsessive interests, you learn every piece of information you can about a particular subject, and know basically nothing else. So when it comes to talking to normal folk, it's very difficult to relate and can be seen as "uncool", "no fun" in their eyes. I'm sure a lot of Metal fans are also obsessive enthusiasts and find it hard to relate. I also think more intelligent people's brains have to work harder for pleasure which is why they find pleasure in more meaningful, profound, complex, layered, deep music (translation to normal folk = geeky, weird music.) It's sad but true.

What I basically thought you meant is you were stereotyping all mind numbing beat based music as uncultivated blockheads, which is not true as Rivetheads or whatever you want to call them is obviously a totally different culture who behave totally different. I was also trying to portray it is not just about how simplistic it is, but the textures, the structure and HOW it sounds. Which is perhaps why EBM is less popular and it is obviously is more aggressive, harsher and sounds more sinister. You have only attributed its simplicity, formulaic nature and lack of dynamics. I'm just saying that is only 50% of the reason people enjoy it, as I enjoy simplistic, formulaic EBM music (and some poppy Industrial like Ayria) but I'm not really interested in modern auto-tuned electro-pop/hip-hop (Kesha, Niki Minaj, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga.) Why? Really it's down to the personality.

Riffs wrote:

I didn't call anyone uncivilized. But you just did ;)

I don't think about stuff like that in those terms.

It seems like you're really trying to assess the value of different kind of music as well as judge the behavior of those who are into a particular scene. From my point of view, you're the one making heavy-handed judgment calls.

I just know what I like and what I don't like. I'm not gonna make a head count for the number of people who are assholes in different scenes. What would that accomplish?


Well allright, but it's true that uncultivated people do act in an uncivilized way, and I thought you were implying non Pop music and Metal fans somehow where more sophisticated because as you said yourself they can still be fun and chill. When in reality, although they listen to a finer art when they behave almost identical in their banter, drinking behaviour, drug intake etc. It's not like all Metal fan play Scrabble and Dungeons and Dragons and sip fine wine for their idea of fun. There is nothing more to be said here I think.

Riffs wrote:
Man, I almost get a vibe of self-loathing reading your words here. Asperger can affect socialization and I'm sorry you have to cope with this. But I don't think you should de facto consider yourself "uncool". You have to go beyond labels as that because they aren't what defines you. You've already demonstrated that by coming here and telling me: "I like a certain type of music and I don't give a shit what you think about it."

And that's what it's all about for me. We are the sum of all these little things we do, we like and we think. And I take great exception with someone telling me that not liking some type of music makes people less fun. That's completely retarded.

I don't really like to label people as outsiders or not. I don't think it serves much purpose.

And who cares if we don't see a lot of people at clubs who listen to metal? There aren't a lot of people who like metal, period. I don't know a lot of people who play the bagpipes either but the one person I know who does is awesome, and fun and generous. And I love that when I meet people at parties they have all these different music tastes and occupations and cultural backgrounds and sometimes weird hobbies.

I only know of one person with Asperger and yeah, he's not the most sociable but he's currently learning Japanese (pretty lightning quick!) and that's not something people usually do but I find it so fucking awesome!


Well I am glad that we both don't like stereotypes. In the same way you don't labels and personalities being attributed to music taste, neither do I, but the point with a stereotype is more often than not it is true. My point is although the stereotype can be true, the reasons for the stereotype can be different (as I mentioned earlier just because all Electro-pop is formulaic with no dynamics etc doesn't mean people listen to it just for the reason.) As I alluded to earlier, I enjoy a lot of different styles of music. As an aspie it's something I try and do to stem away from the repetitive behavior caused by the autism. As much as I enjoy Sylosis, War from a Harlots Mouth, Insect Warfare, Apparation & Sorrow, Blasphemy, Deicide, Blackdeath, Hypothermia bla bla bla I also enjoy awful lot of electro-industrial as well as Lights, Owl City, Gang Starr, The Roots, Tech N9ne, N.W.A, Skrillex, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire, The Cure, Deftones etc. etc.

As for the electro-pop of Lights and Owl City, it's something that just appeals to my human side. The sweetness of the music fills you up with a warm glow and is very pleasurable. With simple music like that, it's a subtle listen and you almost have to listen to "what is not there" which is a difficult technique when you also listen to Emperor. You just have to shut your mind off and let the emotions of the music guide you. Again, I don't like having to justify this as any much as you enjoy reading why I enjoy the music, but it's stereotyping that causes this. As a Metal fan if I said I enjoyed that kind of music and Metal they would probably assume I listened to Pop metal like Motley Crue or whatever.

Finally, just a side comment. Earlier you mentioned playing things over and over again on the radio as a bad thing. In terms of talent, remember although the music is very repetitive so is a lot of Metal (Hypothermia etc.) To hook a listener on one riff is just as hard to hook the listener on many riffs, so just because Daft Punk's Around the World is all one chorus and extremely repetitive does not make it bad. The fact that the radio / mainstream iTunes community don't get bored of that hook despite playing it over and over again means it's serving its purpose.

As for asperger's, it does not surprise me that they are learning such hard languages. Autism of any kind means you spot patterns and fine detail easily, which is good for not only learning a language but music theory. Another reason why it is "uncool" to be like me. I have a giant chart of chords and scales and I have memorized every single one, while all the cool people who play Pop music probably don't even know how to write the simplest cadence.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BloodSacrificeShaman, Empyreal and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group