Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
simonitro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:47 am 

Hey all,

Well, since I love metal (duh!), I have certain appreciation to punk music that I put some of it every once in awhile but I was thinking, is there like a punk encyclopedia?

Just like Metal-Archives but dedicatedly for punk music, that would be really interested to check out.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:04 am 

I'm pretty sure I've heard one of the mods (Alhadis?) has ambitions to do such a thing, but it'd be an incredibly tough task building a site like this from scratch. Hell, it's no short of a miracle (well, more hard work and passionate persistence) that has allowed M/A to thrive like it has. I'd like to see it though, as someone who plans to explore punk music in the future, it'd be a tremendously useful resource.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 am 

This has been discussed a few times now. I suggest trying to find the thread by doing a keyword search (I can't be bothered to dig it up, sorry!).
Maybe you can chat up some posters from those threads who've expressed interest in getting things up and running. Don't count on it, though, heh.

PDS
The Young One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:31 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've heard one of the mods (Alhadis?) has ambitions to do such a thing, but it'd be an incredibly tough task building a site like this from scratch. Hell, it's no short of a miracle (well, more hard work and passionate persistence) that has allowed M/A to thrive like it has. I'd like to see it though, as someone who plans to explore punk music in the future, it'd be a tremendously useful resource.

Alhadis is doing the Tome of Noise. So Power electronics and the like.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:33 am 

PDS wrote:

Ah, I see. I could have sworn I saw somewhere mention of a mod (or maybe just a prominent user?) who expressed interest in a punk/hardcore site. I may be woefully mistaken though.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:52 am 

That might have been me... :3

I made a thread about it, but couldn't be bothered to go anywhere with it because I am terribly lazy. I keep hoping someone who has the wherewithal to run with the idea does so, though...

"Tome of Noise"? How have I not heard about this? That sounds like something I should know about already.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:56 pm 

PDS wrote:

Not quite. Yes, it's going to cover noise and such, but also industrial, ambient and extreme forms of punk. I think he draws the line at hardcore punk, so obviously no regular punk rock.

Last.fm | Collection

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:23 pm 

I'm not into punk rock, but I respect it and would be all for such an archive. I think it's safe to say that just about everyone here would love to see an archive for every genre. Hell, I can't stand any of the hip-hop I've ever heard, with very, very, very isolated exceptions, but even I would be curious to browse a hip-hop archive just for my own education.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am 

PDS wrote:

this sounds ownage, is there like an eta on it?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:28 am 

A collection of ideas only at this point. He's pretty swamped with RL work. I guess a year or two at the very least?

Last.fm | Collection

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Not quite. Yes, it's going to cover noise and such, but also industrial, ambient and extreme forms of punk. I think he draws the line at hardcore punk, so obviously no regular punk rock.

So everything from Skinny Puppy to Nurse With Wound to Merzbow to Church of Raism to Caul? Sounds nice....

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:43 am 

There will never be a punk archives equal to MA because punks aren't as meticulous and nerdy as metalheads.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:52 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
There will never be a punk archives equal to MA because punks aren't as meticulous and nerdy as metalheads.

Today most punks are metalheads themselves.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

This is the truest thing ever spoken.

There was a Hardcore Database for a while, I did a lot of work with it early on (everybody was laughing about how it only had post emo swoopcore bullshit instead of Black Flag and Minor Threat, so instead of laughing at the guy I was busy adding Black Flag and Minor Threat), but yeah the problem is that it's a TON of work and you need a bunch of hopelessly obsessive weirdos to make it work. Luckily MA has that in abundance but we kinda hit a lottery in that regard. I lost interest after a month or so and HCDB went the way of the dodo bird in a very short time, though it probably didn't help that the owner/operator/webmaster wasn't a very good English speaker, so communication wasn't always easy. He was asking me to make rules for the site since he couldn't write very well, and that one simple task wound up being a total pain. This is why I stick to basic site/review modding and help with behind the scenes ideas here, actually being in charge of that shit is ridiculous.

Basically the demise of HCDB and all the attempts at Punk Archives that go nowhere should serve as a reminder to how great MA is and you should all probably send gift baskets to the mods.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:32 pm 

Yeah, but there are also several metalheads (in this very forum) fans of hardcore, thrashcore, PV, grindcore, goregrind, metalcore, post hardcore and all those niche genres.
Such site would work if it operated in unison with MA. For a start, bands denied here could be sent to the sister site for evaluation and all users here could have their profiles mirrored there.

For example, the film section of rateyourmusic is kept alive because it's seamlesslly tied to the music section of the site.

The much needed freaks to keep it running are we ourselves.

glennwills
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:29 pm 

I like the idea of a punk encyclopedia, but yeah, enormous undertaking. That being said I just don't see it having the same level of completion as MA.

Last edited by glennwills on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Yeah, but there are also several metalheads (in this very forum) fans of hardcore, thrashcore, PV, grindcore, goregrind, metalcore, post hardcore and all those niche genres.
Such site would work if it operated in unison with MA. For a start, bands denied here could be sent to the sister site for evaluation and all users here could have their profiles mirrored there.

For example, the film section of rateyourmusic is kept alive because it's seamlesslly tied to the music section of the site.

The much needed freaks to keep it running are we ourselves.

I doubt the vast majority of metalheads are actually crazy about the various niche extreme punk genres and that most who seem to be are largely faking enthusiasm on the grounds that they are fellow underground genres. Extreme punk just plain doesn't have the same base of support as extreme metal. This is because metal is better, overall, than punk (IMO).
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:56 am 

Does it need to be the majority? You just need a good bunch of people to get the thing going.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:53 pm 

That's my point, there is no large base from which to draw the true, the elite. There is a much smaller pool which will have no better a ratio of psycho fanatics than the larger pool for metal. So there will be fewer suitable people to run it in absolute terms.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 am 

You know a good chunk of the 100k bands here on metal-archives are either totally unknown, irrelevant, never released anything more than a demo or bedroom projects. Those kinds of bands are added by the musicians themselves. The archives would be just as fine without them.

An archive about hardcore and the likes with only the 10000 or so relevant bands would be totally worth it, and that could be mantained with like 5% of the current contributors to MA.

Reply to topic