Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 pm 

I hope they ditch both the prequels an originals and make entirely new stories.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 pm 

Oh god. :ugh: You know what I just realized.

Princess Leah is now....

I... I can't say it... It's too bad... Leah is... is...

A bloody Disney Princess now :aww:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:27 am 

Leia*

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 am 

iAm wrote:
Oh god. :ugh: You know what I just realized.

Princess Leah is now....

I... I can't say it... It's too bad... Leah is... is...

A bloody Disney Princess now :aww:

I wouldn't really say that. It's still Lucasfilm, regardless if Disney owns it. By that logic, X-Men's Storm is a Disney princess since her mother was Kenyan royalty, and Disney owns Marvel.

EDIT: Corrected massive typo.

Last edited by MorbidEngel on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 am 

I'm going to the go with the "There's a chance this won't blow" route myself. Lucas probably won't have anything to do with it, so that's a plus, And I agree that wee need to get Timothy Zhan on the phone right away. Who knows, this actually could be a good thing. Disney has been making some decent movies lately, or at least allwing decent movies to be made. My number one concern is who's going to be writing and/or directing.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
and Marvel owns Disney.

:roll:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 am 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
According to ABC News, Disney just bought LucasFilm, and have announced Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015, with intent to make more sequels. I used to be a massive Star Wars fan, and I've read practically all the post-Episode 6 novels and comics, so this announcement kind of rocks my world. That being said, recent history doesn't exactly inspire confidence, judging by the prequels and Clone Wars TV show. And Disney? Marvel Studios operates independently enough, but they've basically turned Pixar into another "Disney Princess" generator, so I don't know what to expect there.

My best case scenario is that they try to film the "Thrawn Trilogy," hire some good screenwriters, cast well, and keep it as far away from George Lucas as possible, but I don't exactly have high hopes. Anyway, what are your reactions to this?

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... 4-billion/

Thrawn is out, according to what I've heard. So they'll basically just cancel out the whole post-trilogy "extended universe." But I have more faith in this than if George Lucas was handling it. He's clearly lost his touch. Hopefully they'll hand it off to a good writing/directing team and give fans what they want for a change. Or, conversely, we could see "Michael Bay's STAR WARS." Who knows. Ultimately, who cares? Can it get worse? I've pretty much written off new Star Wars of any kind, so this change at least introduces the possibility of something worthwhile being done with the franchise.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am 

toxikwalts wrote:
Or, conversely, we could see "Michael Bay's STAR WARS."

The thought of Shia LaBeouf as Luke Skywalker made me cringe.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
MorbidEngel wrote:
and Marvel owns Disney.

:roll:

Oh, shit, I swapped it there. :ugh:

Thanks for catching that

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm 

Yeah, Disney owns Marvel...and Marvel movies are as shitty as they've ever been. If you think the prequels ruined Star Wars, but Thor was really good, your problem isn't with George Lucas. You just like shitty movies.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
Yeah, Disney owns Marvel...and Marvel movies are as shitty as they've ever been. If you think the prequels ruined Star Wars, but Thor was really good, your problem isn't with George Lucas. You just like shitty movies.

But The Avengers was almost universally loved and was the first Marvel movie released with Disney's involvement.

p.s. Thor was an ok movie IMO (just barely edging out IM2 for worst Marvel movie) and it was better than any of the Prequel Trilogy

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 pm 

Adept128 wrote:
Thor was an ok movie IMO (just barely edging out IM2 for worst Marvel movie)

Please tell me you haven't seen Daredevil or Elektra. Please. But if you have, my apologies and sincere congratulations on the way you comb-over covers you lobotomy scars.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm 

Napero wrote:
Adept128 wrote:

Please tell me you haven't seen Daredevil or Elektra. Please. But if you have, my apologies and sincere congratulations on the way you comb-over covers you lobotomy scars.

How about this movie? I only saw clips of it, but I can tell that it was a big flop.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm 

As a Star Wars fan, I though this was awesome news. Just think of the possibilities they could do with the Post-rebellion/New Republic era, Heir to the Empire anyone?? They got a studio that can pump a shit ton of money into it, enough talented directors and screenwriters that could treat the source material with respect, a fresh cast to star as old favorite characters like Han Solo, Skywalker etc and (best of all) Lucas doesn't have a shit to do with it anymore. EVERTHING that was wrong with the prequels; from Jar-Jar Binks to the horrible monologues and wooden acting was thanks to that fucknut.

Everyone should stop whining and crying and start imagining a talented actress portraying an awesomely done Mara Jade blowing shit up.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
They got a studio that can pump a shit ton of money into it, enough talented directors and screenwriters that could treat the source material with respect, a fresh cast to star as old favorite characters

And you think George Lucas didn't have those things at his disposal? He's only what, worth 3.3 billion and #358 on Forbes richest people in the world list.

oogboog wrote:
How about this movie? I only saw clips of it, but I can tell that it was a big flop.

Yeah I never bothered to see that either after the first one was soooooo bad, I'd rather watch the prequel trilogy again than that.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Ravenlord266 wrote:
They got a studio that can pump a shit ton of money into it, enough talented directors and screenwriters that could treat the source material with respect, a fresh cast to star as old favorite characters

And you think George Lucas didn't have those things at his disposal? He's only what, worth 3.3 billion and #358 on Forbes richest people in the world list.

The big difference being that these people wouldn't have George Lucas breathing down their necks with his 'brilliant ideas'

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm 

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you on that I'm just saying that all the money in the world can't make Star Wars great again on its own.

Azmodes wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 am 

That´s certainly true, but I am confident that there´s no reason to think another GOOD Star Wars film is impossible. Especially concerning these recent events. But yeah, I admit that money (on it's own) is not a good arguement to say something will be good.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm 

New Marvel movies are amazing, still some great Marvel comics coming out (and there's always been god-awful titles). Pixar is still kicking arse. Star Wars will be fine, if not better. Worst case scenario, it'll be reminiscent of the weaker Star Wars books and comics. I'm not saying that it'll be good if that is the case, but I don't remember many of those being concerned with "wacky" characters like Jar-Jar.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:02 pm 

I feel... half empty.
One half- Wall-E, Toy Story, Tron, Mickey Mouse, Classic Disney...
Other half- Hannah Montana... nuff said, but it goes on- Jonas Brothers, i-Carly.. I can't go on...
If anything, Disney has brains for long-standing franchises (Marvel, per se). I can't see them screwing up something as far reaching as Star Wars- they know if they do, there they go. That's the end of Disney.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm 

Napero wrote:
Adept128 wrote:

Those movies suck, but I was only talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Marvel movies from IM1 on)
Even then, I know that Spider-Man 3 was the worst Marvel movie ever when looking at the broad categorization.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:41 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
New Marvel movies are amazing, still some great Marvel comics coming out (and there's always been god-awful titles). Pixar is still kicking arse. Star Wars will be fine, if not better. Worst case scenario, it'll be reminiscent of the weaker Star Wars books and comics. I'm not saying that it'll be good if that is the case, but I don't remember many of those being concerned with "wacky" characters like Jar-Jar.

Worst case scenario, it's a steaming pile of nauseating horror.

Likely, it'll be only mildly interesting.

But I'll have to see it. And they know that. We will all need to see it.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 am 

Well I think Disney would at least attempt to release the original films unmodified/uncut. I got a fucking 1994 Star Wars Trilogy VHS boxset right by my desk and George wants it to deteriorate and be lost to time forever. He didn't fucking direct or write Empire Strikes Back, he should have no say.

The Avengers was a quality flick, I didn't lose my shit over it but I wasn't completely disinterested/brutally tortured until the utterly generic Transformers-ish 3rd act. Eh, well I don't really care about this stuff, I've never seen Toy Story or Wall-E, I don't like things that are estrogenic in nature. I got a feeling whoever does the new Star Wars will try to match the gray/mute color scheme of the originals and 70s haircuts, might be worth a shit honesty.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 pm 

The SHM wrote:
I feel... half empty.
Other half- Hannah Montana... nuff said, but it goes on- Jonas Brothers, i-Carly.. I can't go on...
If anything, Disney has brains for long-standing franchises (Marvel, per se). I can't see them screwing up something as far reaching as Star Wars- they know if they do, there they go. That's the end of Disney.

Do you really think the same people that work on icarly are going to work on star wars? :scratch:
I doubt it will be the end of disney if they screw up. Look at the shitty pirates of the Caribbean movies...yes the comparison can be made, those films made a fairly large impact on pop culture.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
The SHM wrote:
I feel... half empty.

Do you really think the same people that work on icarly are going to work on star wars? :scratch:
I doubt it will be the end of disney if they screw up. Look at the shitty pirates of the Caribbean movies...yes the comparison can be made, those films made a fairly large impact on pop culture.

iCarly isn't made by Disney :oh shit:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:33 pm 

You get my drift though.

CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm 

If Mickey Mouse or Goofy appear in the next Star Wars, I'm so joining a lesbian group on face, I SHIT YOU NOT! :???:

CheekSuck9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm 

In other words......I hate the idea! :tongue:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 pm 

CheekSuck9 wrote:
If Mickey Mouse or Goofy appear in the next Star Wars, I'm so joining a lesbian group on face, I SHIT YOU NOT! :???:

It's almost certain that will be the case, the producers of the film confirmed it. You may aswell join the lesbian group right now.

The very first promotional image has in fact been released (forgive the cringeworthy source):
Spoiler: show

Fallen Soldier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

WTF? Man, i thought that the story was over, and it is! What else can they put? All the main villains are dead lol

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm 

Are people seriously thinking Disney will "kidify" the Star Wars films (any more than Lucas did, at least)? Did no-one see the new Tron film? Mutilation and violence abound, and that's not even a film franchise they bought.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Are people seriously thinking Disney will "kidify" the Star Wars films (any more than Lucas did, at least)? Did no-one see the new Tron film? Mutilation and violence abound, and that's not even a film franchise they bought.

It's funny you should say that. What a royal fuck-up the prequels were in terms of target audience. One scene you had slapstick with that oaf Jar-Jar, in the next you had senate meetings with political lingo kids would not understand, and finally you had a scene with a limbless flaming torso screaming "I hate you" (though to be fair to Lucas, I thought that scene was very powerful).

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 am 

So apparently one Michael Arndt will be writing the screenplay for the new Star Wars. He previously wrote Toy Story 3, and Little Miss Sunshine, winning an Oscar for the latter. I haven't seen either.

There's also a wild tabloid rumor that they want to somehow bring back Vader. :ugh:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am 

....oh dear.

That would not go well at all.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 am 

Tabloids are still tabloids. Fans would eat them alive.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:19 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
He previously wrote Toy Story

I guess you could say the Millennium Falcon can go to infinity and beyond in under six parsecs.

nyuk nyuk nyuk

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
So apparently one Michael Arndt will be writing the screenplay for the one Star Wars. He previously wrote Toy Story 3, and Little Miss Sunshine, winning an Oscar for the latter. I haven't seen either.

There's also a wild tabloid rumor that they want to somehow bring back Vader. :ugh:

They couldn't possibly do this.... the whole anakin/vader returning to the light side of the force and turning into a force ghost thing is an huge part of the star wars lore (if talking about the movies ofcourse). If they really want to bring back a old villain, why not choose Emperor Palpatine? His spirit didn't die at the end of ROTJ, and they have boatloads of existing lore to work with. And it's pretty cool lore to.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
So apparently one Michael Arndt will be writing the screenplay for the new Star Wars. He previously wrote Toy Story 3, and Little Miss Sunshine, winning an Oscar for the latter. I haven't seen either.

I saw Toy Story 3 and from what I can remember it was really good so hopefully that's a good sign also according to Wikipedia this guy is also slated to write to script for Hunger Games Catching Fire so we'll get to see some more of his work before new Star Wars so again hopefully a good sign.

Azmodes wrote:

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 am 

Well, I did like both of the movies Michael Arndt's written, so that's a good sign.

Honestly, I don't think Vader is going to reappear. They're probably just throwing ideas out at the moment, and they're savvy enough to know that if they did that, the fans would riot.

Also, guys: THIS. WILL. HAVE. NOTHING. TO. DO. WITH. THE. EXPANDED. UNIVERSE. GOOD DAY.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am 

If they do bring Vader back, it'll probably be for a cameo via flashback, giving orders or some shit to the actual villain of the movie before it cuts back to the present time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next