Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 pm 

I don't know about this. I can see it going horribly wrong in a flash what with them just trying to pump the shit out on a yearly basis and losing focus on decent plots, dialog, and actual acting ability.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 am 

darkeningday wrote:
You thought Lucas was milking his franchise before? You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet.

Well, it worked for Harry Potter. Maybe it works for Star Wars, who knows?

Of course Star Wars ain't based on bestseller literature.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:27 pm 

I know necromancy is often frowned upon but I have to do it in this case. A title for episode VII has all but been confirmed, A New Dawn. http://www.zergnet.com/news/90500/star- ... -confirmed

Azmodes wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I know necromancy is often frowned upon but I have to do it in this case. A title for episode VII has all but been confirmed, A New Dawn. http://www.zergnet.com/news/90500/star- ... -confirmed

Interesting. I'm sure some people will whinge about the similarities to A New Hope, but I feel like the broad, archetypal titles of episodes 4-6 fit the archetypal nature of the series itself. The Episode 1 and 2 titles just sounded awkward.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 am 

Can't wait to finally see Solo bang Organa as an old couple. HOT.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:05 am 

A New Dawn. Because we've never heard that one before.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:58 pm 

It's a rumour at this point. As is Return of the Sith and Rise of the Jedi.
CF_Mono wrote:
A New Dawn. Because we've never heard that one before.
Star Wars was never exactly inventive with it's names.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 am 

Since this thread's resurrected again, I'll pose a question for discussion: When do you think Disney's gonna release the movie's name and/or teaser trailer? I think the logical point to release them would be in front of Guardians of the Galaxy, as that too is a big Disney release guaranteed to be seen by hundreds of millions of dollars worth of people. It just makes too much sense not to. As for the theatrical trailer, it'll be in front of The Avengers 2. That too makes too much sense to not do.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:59 am 

*SPOILER ALERT*: the whole plot to ep 7

You've been warned. ;)

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:15 pm 

I'm not sold on a Boba Fett spin off. Sure he's a cool looking character but in the context of the original movies he's virtually insignificant and disposable, Return of the Jedi made that more than clear. Plus part of the appealing aspect to Boba Fett was the element of mystery to the character.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm 

I think you just hate Maori :-P
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
*SPOILER ALERT*: the whole plot to ep 7

You've been warned. ;)

Skimmed this, reads like one of John_Sunlight's patented FFA stories. John are you secretly one of the writers for Disney and the new Star Wars franchise? Or perhaps Supershadow himself???? Truths of the multi-verse revealed.

Azmodes wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:36 am 

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The Force Awakens.

THE. FORCE. AWAKENS.

:puke:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 am 

Well that's ambiguous.

So the title seems to be pretty unanimously disliked so far. All I've been hearing about it on the radio all night is how much it sucks. I gotta agree with that sentiment too, what is that even supposed to mean? I'm guessing something with a new Jedi.

Azmodes wrote:

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:09 am 

I like it. It's something that no one wouldve thought of and better than any of the prequel names.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:47 am 

It means that there's a new generation of Jedi after their massacre but eh, it's a very, uninspired title. Most of the fan made ones were better.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Most of the fan made ones were better.

I feel this sums up the entire franchise, especially if you consider the EU fan made (Disney sure does).

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:47 pm 

It's going to be so hard to forget about Heir to the Empire - Dark Force Rising - The Last Command, Tim Zahn's awesome trilogy that I read a dozen times when was younger. That plus the Clone Emperor storyline that followed. It's a shame Disney flushed it all away.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:39 pm 

Not so much flushed away as moved to a parallel universe, which is exactly how I'm going to treat this new trilogy in return... unless it turns out to be some sort of all defeating masterpiece for the ages. I'm interested in the new movie, but disney is not fucking up Admiral Thrawn and Co for me. Although, ofcourse, these characters and events can still exist in this new universe. I just hope they don't fuck them up if they do.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 pm 

im confused, are the new movies officially retconning the EU? i havent read too much into the legacy era (my favorite is old republic era), but arent there enough gaps in time between stories so that there will be enough room for the movies AND the established lore?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:25 pm 

Well the owners of the franchise decided that it isn't canon anymore.

On April 25, 2014, a StarWars.com press release confirmed that the films of the sequel trilogy would not adhere to the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe,[9] with further comments from LucasBooks Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle confirming that the EU as a whole is no longer considered canon. The EU has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner.
Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film. Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series and all novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole.

Basically it was all a fever dream dreamt up by Han Solo while recovering from Ewok-fest.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:15 am 

wow, thats really upsetting to me. im looking at my darth bane trilogy and various other books and realizing that disney pretty much said "yeah, none of that happened." i realize this is all fiction, but the universe as a whole all felt so tied together when i looked at things as recent as the revan book, and as far back as the release of a new hope. oh well...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:25 am 

I was sort of fine with it because as long as nothing in the new lore contradicts the now non-cannon lore, I can reasonably assume the lore to still be true. Just not mentioned. However, then I read this:

Jar Jar canon, Thrawn non-canon. :guns:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:28 am 

KOTOR1 and 2 will always be canon in my world. It's still real to me, damnit!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:55 am 

*rubs hands* Wait, you guys are still betting on Abrams not fucking this up after he just took a dump on the entire Trek universe? No way are you Wars fans going to be getting off the hook with anything vaguely respectable here, and that's just the way it is.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:06 am 

People's expectations aren't going to get met because their fucking standards are so goddam high, as if the original trilogy was some spectacularly well written piece of work. Not to say they were bad movies or anything (I'm a huge star wars fan and have been since I was a toddler), but if people would just go into the movie expecting a fun sci fi movie, then all would go well. That is exactly what the entire trilogy is- fun sci fi featuring stupid shit like sound in space and a scenario where little teddy bears facilitate in destroying an entire military base.

Remember when the newest Indiana Jones movie was released? People were disappointed, but honestly it just reminded me of an umpteenth indiana jones movie- nothing more and nothing less. I had fun, just like the first three.

Basically, Abrams better make a masterpiece, because anything else is going to be seen as absolute garbage..

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:35 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Agreed along with the Thrawn trilogy and Star Wars Legacy. Shame they are throwing away the E.U.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:17 am 

The new revamped Star Trek movies weren't that bad, I did prefer the first to second though (got a bit silly with unstoppable Spock machine). Um, wasn't Rion Johnson supposed to be director of the episode 7?

@ Unorthodox, people are going to complain no matter what. Slightly revamped characters - complain, not everything is clearly explained - complain, etc. My assumption is it'll be met with the same degree of split aversion as Batman Begins, then 4 years later when the sequel is released in a more neutral light.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:56 pm 

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was already mentioned in the movie thread.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 pm 

oh man it's gonna be hard to avoid watching the trailer til the movie comes out in december 2015 (i want to go watch this movie without having any pre-knowledge about what i'm about to witness on the screen) and facebook is not helping, trailer screenshots everywhere :s

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Agreed along with the Thrawn trilogy and Star Wars Legacy. Shame they are throwing away the E.U.

Much of the speculation appears to be that they did not want to be tied down to the EU, but do want to adapt elements of the EU into the new series of films. In essence, taking the good plot points and characters from the EU and changing them. From what many people are saying, this might mean that the individual we see in the teaser could be someone like Revan. That would tie in really well with the voiceover for the teaser, which emphasized the "awakening" of dark and light.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:35 am 

Derigin wrote:
Much of the speculation appears to be that they did not want to be tied down to the EU, but do want to adapt elements of the EU into the new series of films. In essence, taking the good plot points and characters from the EU and changing them. From what many people are saying, this might mean that the individual we see in the teaser could be someone like Revan. That would tie in really well with the voiceover for the teaser, which emphasized the "awakening" of dark and light.

This reeks of nothing but PR bullshitting to keep the fanboys at bay. If they actually put Revan in any of Disney-produced cash guzzler movies, I will permanently jam a shoe up my rectum.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:57 am 

Well considering it's JJ Abrams and that he has a tendency to take established EU and manipulate it instead of outright rewriting it, I look forward to you shitting out a shoe. Besides, they're already doing that with the EU in Star Wars Rebels.

Also what Hollywood films aren't cash guzzlers nowadays? That point is mute. :P

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:08 am 

Just a teaser. Has it been often that a trailer(s) to a movie hypes you up only for what turns out to be a disappointing movie???

Expedience wrote:
*rubs hands* Wait, you guys are still betting on Abrams not fucking this up after he just took a dump on the entire Trek universe? No way are you Wars fans going to be getting off the hook with anything vaguely respectable here, and that's just the way it is.

The first Star Trek reboot movie he did was... effective. For a modern popcorn flick, it did things right for the most part, and I liked that the characters were faithful to the originals. The second movie seemed to still stay in the green zone... but then, as it progressed, yeah, things took a turn for the worst, straight into the red. What happened in the second half pretty much sunk it for me--- a double-barrel shotgun blast point blank, brains splattered, please-excuse-the-blood clusterfuck.

So hell yeah, I think Abrams could very well fuck this whole new Star Wars thing up too (even more if you thought the prequels sucked). Oh hell yes. But I imagine it could follow the same formula as the Star Trek reboot--- first movie passable, even good, then the second movie has its moments, but ultimately fails and probably sets up a third film for failure. Who knows? (Shit, that TV series, "Lost", which I believe Abrams co-created, seemed to follow that idea too of starting out interesting/good then faltering as Abrams and co. threw some really odd curveballs in the mix....)

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:15 am 

The trailer (oh, it's a 'teaser'), predictably, is predictable. My favorite part is the girl riding the flying USB drive.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:08 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Star Wars: Legacy and the Thrawn trilogy are too good to be scrapped.
I was so sure the plot would more or less follow Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, now I don't know what to think.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:21 pm 

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think a complete revamp would be best - scrap all the stuff that happened in the novels, set it far in the future, no R2-D2, no C3PO, no lame-ass Wookie planet (Kyshyrk or whatever the hell it's called) - just start over because continuing after Jedi would be lame. An entire galaxy with so many options for storylines I think I'll puke if I have to see R2-D2 and his more-gadgets-than-Inspector-Gadget shit he's got going on.

Yes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:13 pm 

IT'S KASHYYYK YOU UNCULTURED GUNGAN!

Also, R2D2 is by far the best Star Wars character haha! I love the lil guy so much.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm 

What the hell did they do to the Millennium Falcon :o it looked like shit. I was hoping the teaser would make me excited for the movie. All it did was make me wish it wasn't happening :ugh:

Azmodes wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:30 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Well considering it's JJ Abrams and that he has a tendency to take established EU and manipulate it instead of outright rewriting it, I look forward to you shitting out a shoe.

Upon what are you basing this?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next