Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:00 am 

I decided to make this topic since I just had a "traumatic" experience about a month ago and figured it might help myself and maybe some people on MA to know that some of the musicians we look up to have endured [and overcome] similar experiences. Basically, just mention well-known figures within the metal community who have talked about being robbed, shot, or otherwise traumatized at some point in their lives.

Without going into much detail, I got jumped by three or four people a few weeks ago while walking downtown, alone, late at night. One of the people had a knife in my face while the others repeatedly kicked/punched me in the head. I don't care how prepared you think you are for something like this- you likely would not have attempted to fight back in a situation like that. And the feeling of my consciousness fading away while being struck in the head added to the sense of lost control. Needless to say, I honestly believed that I was dying and even the paramedics who arrived on the scene sort of implied that I was.

Anyway, I thankfully managed to maintain most of my sanity since then... I'm not hiding under tables on cue or sleeping with a loaded gun in my hands. I just feel somewhat paranoid every time I walk around in public; I get that feeling you get when you sense somebody is standing behind you. And there have been a few times since the incident happened where I had "flashbacks" when I'd be walking down a sidewalk and see somebody walking in my direction. So far, Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth is the only contribution I can make to the topic:
http://youtu.be/5icV66scOHk

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:17 am 

I don't really have any contributions to the thread that I can think of just offhand. I'll try to think of some, though.

On another note: have you actually been diagnosed with PTSD? Or tried talking to a therapist about it? I've never been mugged/jumped like that but I can't help but imagine that's gotta be a pretty terrifying experience that would not only leave you pretty shaken in a sort of primal/pragmatic way where you're looking over your shoulder or whatever, but could also kind of fuck up your perception of society in general. Talking to a professional about something like that seems like it could be really helpful.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I don't really have any contributions to the thread that I can think of just offhand. I'll try to think of some, though.

On another note: have you actually been diagnosed with PTSD? Or tried talking to a therapist about it? I've never been mugged/jumped like that but I can't help but imagine that's gotta be a pretty terrifying experience that would not only leave you pretty shaken in a sort of primal/pragmatic way where you're looking over your shoulder or whatever, but could also kind of fuck up your perception of society in general. Talking to a professional about something like that seems like it could be really helpful.

I haven't sought any counseling or anything for it. I mean it doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I honestly don't think it's urgent that I get treatment or whatever. I've been able to sleep at night without a problem, haha.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 pm 

I had a scarily, similar experience last year while in St. Petersburg for a one off show. We got to the hotel the night before. I got settled in and went out for a bite to eat from feeling starved after a long flight. Took a wrong turn and got jumped by three men. They proceeded to kick me on the ground until I gave up my wallet and phone. I literally thought I was going to die. I eventually got away with a black eye and a swollen face and was shook up for almost a week but no lasting effects,thankfully.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:41 pm 

If you watch that One Man Metal documentary it's really obvious that Scott Conner of Xasthur has PTSD. I really feel for that guy, my heart goes out to him. I hope he's still truckin' out there and making music.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
If you watch that One Man Metal documentary it's really obvious that Scott Conner of Xasthur has PTSD. I really feel for that guy, my heart goes out to him. I hope he's still truckin' out there and making music.

Yeah I wasn't sure what his story was, but you could tell he was fucked up and really needs help.

I've been jumped before, luckily nothing as serious as ganged up on or kicked and punched. Guy just came up behind me, swung his arm around and hit me in the jaw. I was so startled, I fell and dropped my case of beer. I told him "Just take it, man" and he grabbed the beer and ran off. I was shaken up and really hated traveling at night for a bit, but I'm over it. I couldn't imagine what it's like to have a knife or god forbid a fucking gun brandished in my face.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:33 pm 

man, stuff like that really makes me hate people more.. really.
it is not a good feeling, at all.
i am told by people i may have suffered or do from ptsd.. due to my stepmother and her over religious family making life a living hell for six years until i finally snapped and laid that weight to rest..
it is more of an exaggerated pre-sense of alert.. almost immediate alertness.. and you cant help that.. when you have a sharp, jaded experience like that Bassist, it only adds the unwanted to the edge of the shade

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 pm 

I didn't get PTSD from it but I was involved in a failed mugging.

I was walking down one of the busiest streets around my neighborhood with two friends and I was attacked cos I was the tallest one with them.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:24 pm 

Patrick Lachman and Vinnie Paul would suffer from PTSD after what happened with Dimebag Darrell. I'd imagine many musicians would have it but keep it a secret so as to not spoil the tough guy persona that the majority of metal bands exude. For example, it wasn't until Strapping Young Lad was dead and buried before Devin Townsend openly talked about his problems. Plus I'd imagine it's a private issue for most.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 am 

Oh my god I just watched that One Man Metal documentary.....jesus christ I feel bad for ragging on bedroom black metal artists now. It's so pathetic that it's not even funny to me anymore.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:44 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
Spoiler: show
I decided to make this topic since I just had a "traumatic" experience about a month ago and figured it might help myself and maybe some people on MA to know that some of the musicians we look up to have endured [and overcome] similar experiences. Basically, just mention well-known figures within the metal community who have talked about being robbed, shot, or otherwise traumatized at some point in their lives.

Without going into much detail, I got jumped by three or four people a few weeks ago while walking downtown, alone, late at night. One of the people had a knife in my face while the others repeatedly kicked/punched me in the head. I don't care how prepared you think you are for something like this- you likely would not have attempted to fight back in a situation like that. And the feeling of my consciousness fading away while being struck in the head added to the sense of lost control. Needless to say, I honestly believed that I was dying and even the paramedics who arrived on the scene sort of implied that I was.

Anyway, I thankfully managed to maintain most of my sanity since then... I'm not hiding under tables on cue or sleeping with a loaded gun in my hands. I just feel somewhat paranoid every time I walk around in public; I get that feeling you get when you sense somebody is standing behind you. And there have been a few times since the incident happened where I had "flashbacks" when I'd be walking down a sidewalk and see somebody walking in my direction. So far, Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth is the only contribution I can make to the topic:
http://youtu.be/5icV66scOHk

You really should consider seeing a therapist. A lot of people go into denial after a traumatizing experience and reassure themselves that everything is fine and things are not. Some go into a downward spiral and attempt to 'self-medicate' through drinking or drugs and it just makes the problem worse. You do show signs of PTSD although from your description it doesn't seem too severe. Many people would probably be too terrified to go out after such an experience. It is considered a disorder if te symptoms persist for over 2-4weeks. I had a very minor form of PTSD with disturbed sleep for a while and frequent dreams of being back in basic training for the military and it took about 2-3 years to completely go away.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 am 

Seek therapy now or you will regret it in the future when your life is a black hole.

Flashbacks are serious!

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:24 pm 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
Anyway, I thankfully managed to maintain most of my sanity since then... I'm not hiding under tables on cue or sleeping with a loaded gun in my hands. I just feel somewhat paranoid every time I walk around in public; I get that feeling you get when you sense somebody is standing behind you

I've had similar experiences days/months after getting into scrapes, which weren't nearly as bad as yours. Do you think its the minds way of making us more aware/prepared in future, instead of walking into situations blissfully unaware? But there's a danger of becoming paranoid if we don't rationalise what happened to us, that we stood no chance.

"There but for the grace of God go I", your experience could happen to anyone of us. The world can be a mean chaotic place sometimes and there's often no sense or reason.
When a group attacks a lone individual they're cowards. It can have a devastating effect on a persons confidence - so try and look at it that you survived and were at the mercy of violent messed up individuals, who can defend against people hell bent on being vicious?, not many. Like on karate kid when the instructor says "not be there" (move quickly) which I take to also mean don't go out alone into places that you know could be troublesome.

Whenever I got problems from someone bigger and tougher than me when younger, I started thinking of the song - Cry for the Bad man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, it helped me deal with bad situations - (that they're the ones with issues). Sometimes we're just at others mercy in life and we just have to pick ourselves up as best we can and not let it affect our mental wellbeing or torture ourselves further.
Surprise attacks would shake anyone up, even those trained for combat I'd imagine.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 am 

Well, this certainly isn't the first "near-death experience" I've had. I almost drowned in a public swimming pool when I was eight and managed to survive without counseling. Though I didn't have a choice as my parents were lazy cunts and dismissed everything I said to them.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:20 am 

There are probably many musicians suffering from it but it might be difficult to find them out. It's tricky to diagnose and loads of people with PTSD don't realize what is going on and do not seek help.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 am 

I've never been mugged but I'm always cautious when walking through the main town. Too many knife wielding dickheads who'd stab you just for a laugh.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Last edited by Foulchrist on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 pm 

Peter Tagtgren and PAIN got jumped back in '08. Not sure if they suffered from PTSD, but they had to cancel that gig and landed in the hospital. One of them got hit with a wine bottle and the other two were roughed up.

Spoiler: show

Don't know if he's spoken about this, but seeing as it was apparently unprovoked and happened in Germany, a foreign country, but I'd imagine it had to affect them in some way.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:33 pm 

Having someone smoke crack in front of you then pull out a pistol then start babbling nonsense while waving the thing in my face was pretty damn scary.

Last.fm

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 am 

I went through some serious anxiety attacks as a teenager, and bleak depression in my 20's ... I had a lot of nervous breakdowns where I just didn't want to live anymore. I'd had enough ... I just didn't know what I could contribute to this shithole universe and didn't see why I should hang around and try to "make a living." Needless to say I made it though those dark times ... but every now and again I sink back into a dark place and try to figure out my place in this universe. or more importantly, this western civilization. Sometimes it's hard for some people. Things don't work out. I feel like I'm constantly struggling with work and finding a fucking "job" that makes sense to everyone. I made the mistake of pursuing my passion so it's even harder to get across what I'm trying to do for a living (that being photography). Sometimes I just want a normal job with a regular pay check - but then after a week or two it starts eating at me that I'm not supposed to be here doing this and that I was put here to fucking CREATE! And do something that fucking means something .... even if no one cares. Life is hard.

Life is abuse!

Reply to topic