* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 pm 

Primate wrote:
The SHM wrote:
Best post-grunge band- anyone want to take a crack at it?

Chevelle, 10 Years and Staind, although those bands are more sort of on the alt-metal side of things.

:ugh:
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

I like my share of grunge (mostly AiC, Soundgarden, Nirvana's noise-rockish stuff, Tad) and understand why some people dislike it. The way I see it, it was the last point in time that the general public enjoyed seeing a live rock band. It was before hip-hop and the more dance-oriented forms of electronic music (think Daft Punk) became super popular. In that way, it was really the last gasp of rock music being relevant to mass popular culture. 

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:13 pm 

Bumping I know but I just took a whole listen to the U-Men and Pearl Jam, and I think grunge, whatever that means, the spirit of grunge needs to come back, but the legacy of grunge needs to go. The spirit is making raw ass hard rock and roll mixing the best of 70s heavy rock that every old fart worships as Era of Rock Gods with hardline sludgy punk and throwing in some metal, mostly doom oriented. Just heavy ass rock like you want it, but the aesthetics were terrible. It all felt too proto emo and Nirvana pretty much more like the heaviest emo band ever. If they tried coming across more like the 70s rock stars or punks that they loved they probably wouldn't have been as loved during those years, but they wouldn't have gotten the stigma of being so emo (or leading to it).

That's what we need nowadays. A new rock and roll movement that doesn't try to copy anything but take influences and just play its ass off.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:53 am 

there was a lot of good Canadian grunge music in the 90's ... just saying

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am 

Lord Nordhausen wrote:
Bumping I know but I just took a whole listen to the U-Men and Pearl Jam, and I think grunge, whatever that means, the spirit of grunge needs to come back, but the legacy of grunge needs to go. The spirit is making raw ass hard rock and roll mixing the best of 70s heavy rock that every old fart worships as Era of Rock Gods with hardline sludgy punk and throwing in some metal, mostly doom oriented. Just heavy ass rock like you want it, but the aesthetics were terrible. It all felt too proto emo and Nirvana pretty much more like the heaviest emo band ever. If they tried coming across more like the 70s rock stars or punks that they loved they probably wouldn't have been as loved during those years, but they wouldn't have gotten the stigma of being so emo (or leading to it).

That's what we need nowadays. A new rock and roll movement that doesn't try to copy anything but take influences and just play its ass off.

What? Grunge leading to emo? Where did you read that?
Grunge is an amalgamation of Hard Rock, metal subgenres and Punk, while Emo is just a Post-Hardcore genre. Can't really see where they converge.
Grunge can't be proto-emo because, well, they appeared at the same time.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 am 

^ +2. "Grunge" associated with "Emo"?!? Seriously that's the most obnoxious thing I've came across lately.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5