Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:16 pm 

So, where do you all get your news? Let us compare and contrast news sources, their credibility, quality, in depth reporting capability, medium, ideological purity, etc.

To start, I recently stopped reading the New York Times opinion page because the quality seems like it's in free-fall lately. Coincidentally, it happened around the time they let Brooks start writing again. A lot of the writers seem dependent on unsound extrapolations of extremely bad metaphors (Friedman), the neutral tone has allowed crazy guys to pass themselves off as reasonable (Brooks), and the dedication to whitewashing rebel crimes is Syria is sickening. So I haven't perused that publication in a while.

I browse a lot of mainstream news sites on a regular basis just to get a feel for what's being said about stuff: New York Times, Russia Times, BBC news, CNN, Al-Jazeera America, but my fav news sources for real insight lately are Naked Capitalism, NSFWcorp, Jacobin, Moon of Alabama and The Angry Arab, all of which combine news, analysis and investigative journalism. NC and MoA also have very entertaining comments sections.

How about you guys?
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:21 pm 

Abovetopsecret.com. :oh shit:
People post and debate all sorts of topics relating to current affairs, and also stuff relating to conspiracy theories (discussing if they are real, or debunking them). I like to stay away from all mainstream media sources (controlled by America, anyway) because they are just so full of sensationalism, it makes me laugh. When I saw coverage of the Boston bombings, it was almost a comedy the way they were using strong words to appeal to viewers emotions.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 pm 

I don't really bother to try looking for news sources whose integrity I respect, or whose ideological leaning I agree with. I'll just watch/read whatever happens to be around, while remaining morbidly cynical and not trusting a word if they're reporting on anything controversial.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 am 

My primary source of news is generally social media sites and word of mouth, but if I want to look into the topic further I will generally search google and find information from somewhere like the new york times or washington post.

aloof
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 am 

the ever-dependable and accurate The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:02 am 

Australian news is really pretty shit. You have the choice of the Murdoch press (same all round the world - resolutely neo-con), or the Fairfax papers. the Fairfax papers recently paywalled their online content, which resulted in my changing over to the Manchester Guardian's Australian edition. It's very left-leaning, but for balance I read the Australian financial review and the Australian (which is small L liberal, or small C conservative) as we have them in the lunch room where I work. I have a look through the Herald-Sun for balance (rabid popularist Murdoch paper - yellow journalism). I also read New Matilda (left leaning Australian commentary), The Conversation (Academic opinion pieces), Quarterly Essay (variable content - quite long opinion piece essays), Quadrant (conservative), New Statesman (Left-leaning), New York Times (the 10 articles a month you get without a subscription).

I have a job that requires me to be at my desk in case something goes wrong, but for a lot of the day hanging out looking at stuff online.

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:14 am 

I couldn't go through scores of news websites. When igoogle was functional, it served as a good aggregation of news headlines. Nothing too in depth but it served its purpose. Now it's primarily social media. I follow Time, NYT, Economist, Guardian, Techcrunch, the Verge and a bunch of others. Of late, I've been going through longreads. Some of them are pretty good.

Last edited by shouvince on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:29 am 

Fox news. Just cause they are really angry about Obama and his "affordable care act".
I'm trying to view the worst songs thread, by the way.

Someone started posting your music and the mods wanted to spare your feelings. ;)

Arkhane, Progressive Melodeath

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:19 am 

The Times, The Telegraph, Al Jazeera, The Express, Der Spiegel, The Mail, Metro, Guardian, London Evening Standard, and recently - Private Eye magazine (after reading about their special report on the scrapped NHS IT programme which cost the tax payer £12 billion)

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 am 

Mix of the guardian, the australian (I do find myself getting increasingly annoyed by The Australian, but it's certainly the best option in Oz, Newspaper wise) and the BBC. A bit of Al-Jazeera from time to time, they have some good articles and their occaisional bit of virulent anti-semitism is always good for a giggle.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 am 

I don't really follow current events as much as I used to, anymore. My parents watch nothing but Fox News, as do most of my co-workers. I personally don't trust any news source. I guess Yahoo News lures me in more than anything though the "journalists" have proven unprofessional time-and-again. RT seems the most credible of any major news network I've come across. In all seriousness, Youtube is probably the best place for anyone to get their news fix for the simple fact that you can find hundreds of videos for any given topic- all from people with varying opinions.

I'll just say this: I'm wholeheartedly convinced that the vast majority of everyone who discusses politics is full of shit. The world's problems aren't going to be solved by humanity pointing fingers at one another and waiting for things to change.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 am 

My main sources of inconsequential political outrage currently are an awfully biased German blog (and its extremely numerous and varied sources, which is where I get all my English articles from) and one German news site that belongs to public broadcasting (http://www.tagesschau.de/).
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:38 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I'll just say this: I'm wholeheartedly convinced that the vast majority of everyone who discusses politics is full of shit. The world's problems aren't going to be solved by humanity pointing fingers at one another and waiting for things to change.

Normally I'd agree with this, but the last 15 or so years here have felt surreal, and it's obvious to many now our only hint at democracy happens once every few years at being able to vote for suppression party "A" or "B" (and c if you still include a party which got least votes yet still manages to wield influence).

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm 

As a student living in the UK, I don't watch TV because of the silly TV license system. So I get most of my news off of Reddit. The news subreddit is like a hub with links to all kinds of different news sources. Avoid the comments section though!
I also frequent some Greek news sites to keep up to date with the situation in my country. I can't really trust international sources for news on what's going on there as 90% of the time it's misinformed and misleading.

hells_unicorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:23 pm 

Most of what I read is networked on opinion-based website and ideological stuff, but it tends to source itself back to Reuters and the Associated Press as far as "Hard News" goes. My favorite sites are antiwar.com, Lew Rockwell, Mises.org, and Taki's Magazine; largely because the interpretation involved tends to jive with my own outlook on things. I'll occasionally browse The Daily Caller and Reason Magazine, though they tend to be a mixed bag depending on who is writing the articles. I will seldom get any news from television, but every now and then I might turn on CNN or Fox News, though I tend to avoid the opinion related stuff, especially when it's Bill O'Reilly or Piers Morgan.

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:30 pm 

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report :oh shit:

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 pm 

DailyMail for all that great "holy shit humanity is terrible" news.

Deadline for work news.

Blabbermouth for music.

Sometimes Yahoo for more mainstream stuff if I'm really bored. And FOX/MSN for Football because I really like their Power Rankings.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm 

Slaytanic55 wrote:

Those shows are broadcasted here in The Netherlands on Comedy Central and I love watching them. Though mostly to laugh at the stupidity of the USA and its inhabitants. I guess that's pretty much the purpose of those shows anyway though.

last.fm

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm 

I don't agree with most of their analysis, but the daily show and the colbert report do actually recap most of the major tv news stories and give you the gist of the story.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 pm 

I mostly use the Guardian. I'm from the UK but living in the US and it's not paywalled, I agree broadly with their editorial policy (though not by any means with all of it) and I think their readership is broad you get some great comments and debates on many of the opinion pieces. I occasionally use the BBC but I don't really like their website. When I'm back home I sometimes read the Independent. The Mail and the Telegraph make me too angry; the Mail website is obscene with its "sidebar of shame" that (a) shows paparazzi photos of celebrities, or (b) is full of women-hating articles. Their comments sections are, to be fair, more balanced than is commonly believed. It's more likely that the editorship and writers are worse than the readers (not the other way round as is most widely claimed).

Now being in the US, I don't have TV so never see anything of the news that way. I sometimes read the Washington Post because that's where I live, or the free papers on the Metro. A lot of US news I don't have much interest in - I don't like the majority of the sports here beyond a casual perusal - and a lot of the politics I find confusing to follow and irritating in equal measure (but that's my own ignorance to great extent -- I imagine being international and trying to follow UK stuff is similar?).

I'm curious to check out some of the less mainstream sites you guys are suggesting. It's nice to find places a bit off the beaten track.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 am 

Local yocals the most really, then talk radio, that news site that's on the default browser at uni, and for periods of time I am subscribed to blogs but I usually don't do that for long.

Atrocious_Mutilation
KITTY SO PUFFY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 am 

I get most of my news from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, or ABC News as it's known around here. Being the national broadcaster, most of their stories are focused on Australia which is where I get my political news, but they're still a credible source of news for international stories. I also read RT, who I go to for international stories not covered by the ABC, but I've been reading it less lately because it can be unprofessional at times and the large bias towards Russia and Vladimir Putin. I also stay the hell away from the comment sections on RT.

While I don't regularly check them, I may find some interesting articles online from the Guardian, the New York Times and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:23 am 

RT exists purely to prop up Putin and deliberately undermine the west by spreading conspiracy theories. It's like a state-financed version of the Alex Jones radio show or infowars.com. There's not too many news sources I've come across that I won't browse through from time to time regardless of their slant, but when Assange got a show there only after he agreed not to release damning information about Russia that pretty much said all you need to know about RT. It's a very elaborate influence operation, plain and simple.

Apart from specific subjects (eg science articles for science news) I generally browse through lots of written and cyber news rather than always come back to one or two sources (or three or four). I pretty much never watch televised news.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 am 

Slaytanic55 wrote:

I like the Daily Show from time to time but I was never able to warm up to Colbert. Just his voice is obnoxious and grating. I know it's an act but it still annoys me too much. The Daily show is a bit hit or miss though. Sometimes it is really funny and others just kind of dumb and that type of humor rarely hits the right spot for me.

I use CNN, BBC, USAtoday, NBC, and the Huffington Post on my phone. They all have easy apps. The Huffington post can be annoying having to sift through celebrity garbage articles but they have good ones from time to time.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:57 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
I get most of my news from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, or ABC News as it's known around here. Being the national broadcaster, most of their stories are focused on Australia which is where I get my political news, but they're still a credible source of news for international stories. I also read RT, who I go to for international stories not covered by the ABC, but I've been reading it less lately because it can be unprofessional at times and the large bias towards Russia and Vladimir Putin. I also stay the hell away from the comment sections on RT.

While I don't regularly check them, I may find some interesting articles online from the Guardian, the New York Times and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Any thoughts on Abbot's attacks on the ABC in the last few days?

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:46 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
RT exists purely to prop up Putin and deliberately undermine the west by spreading conspiracy theories. It's like a state-financed version of the Alex Jones radio show or infowars.com. There's not too many news sources I've come across that I won't browse through from time to time regardless of their slant, but when Assange got a show there only after he agreed not to release damning information about Russia that pretty much said all you need to know about RT. It's a very elaborate influence operation, plain and simple.

Well that maybe be at least partly true, but one thing I do like about RT is that they often have more news from around the world and less news to do with celebrities than I've seen from my other primary news source, the BBC. I just ignore the Putin stuff.

I occasionally have a look at Zero-Hedge but I have no clue on most of the financial jargon (and don't care either) and zeitnews, which brings together a lot of scientific stuff from a lot of different sites.

Reply to topic