Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:04 pm 

I don't know exactly how tall I am, but I believe I'm about 183cm-185cm(6'-6'1). It's been a while since the last time I've had my height measured. But it falls somewhere in that area.

I am OK with my height, I guess. Although I was told when I was a kid by my doctor that I could even reach 190cm, so that kinda disappointed me. But hey, being over 190cm seems like a pain. Unless you're a basketball player or a football goal keeper or something like that.

What about you? How tall are you? Are you happy with your height? Has your height been helpful or detrimental to your life thus far?

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:19 pm 

Weird thread, but aight, I'll bite.

I'm 178cm (or 5'8, for the ones who use bullshit measuring systems :-P ), and..... Yeah, I'm pretty okay with my height. Not too tall, but far from short. I got relatively wide shoulders too, so I tend to look bigger than I actually am, but I don't mind it much.

I just find the huge difference in height between the male and female population in my country kinda funny. Most women here are tiny munchkins (160-165cm or 5'2 to 5'4 on average), while the guys are, generally speaking, closer to my height, so you tend to to see lots of couples where the guy towers over the girl by a fair margin.
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'm six feet on the dot. I had a growth spurt back in middle school; for a while I was the tallest in my class. Now, however, I'd say I'm average or slightly above average, and that's fine with me. I'm happy with my height. Most of my friends are slightly shorter than me or around the same height.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:22 pm 

I think everything below 180 is too midget and everything above 190 is too freak, so I'm quite fine with my 185.

The contents of your post have been mailed to Jackoroth's dad.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I think everything below 180 is too midget and everything above 190 is too freak, so I'm quite fine with my 185.

I wouldn't call someone between 175-179 a midget, but I don't envy their height either. I was about 174 at age of 14-15 and was happy when at a doctor appointment at age of 16 I was measured at 182.

I know people above 187 and they all complain about not having much space to fit in their legs on airplanes and many cars.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:25 pm 

I am 5'6", leaning a bit more up to 5'7" but not quite there yet. Basically, I'm the shortest guy at anything I go to. Most of my female friends are taller than me as well. I'm fine with it, but being short is annoying sometimes.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:27 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Are you calling me a midget, ya lungo? :guns:
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:27 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I am 5'6", leaning a bit more up to 5'7" but not quite there yet. Basically, I'm the shortest guy at anything I go to. Most of my female friends are taller than me as well. I'm fine with it, but being short is annoying sometimes.

The only times I feel average or even short at times is when I walk past a bunch of Dutch tourists. Some Germans and Swedes are quite tall as well. I notice that guys from those countries usually tend to be around my height.

I remember seeing a handful of giant women in the Netherlands many years ago. It was surreal. A woman that's over 190 is just mindblowing.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:37 pm 

I have the average length of 179cm. However I live in the Netherlands where the average adult male length is 184cm (tallest in the world) so I'm actually considered to be on the short side. It doesn't bother me on a social level, but I do notice it whenever I'm in the middle of a group of people. One of my best friends being a giant 2 meter behemoth makes it extra apparent also. :lol:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:39 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I have the average length of 179cm. However I live in the Netherlands where the average adult male length is 184cm (tallest in the world) so I'm actually considered to be on the short side. It doesn't bother me on a social level, but I do notice it whenever I'm in the middle of a group of people. One of my best friends being a giant 2 meter behemoth makes it extra apparent also. :lol:

Actually, there's a place in the world where the average height is even higher... the Dinaric Alps, a region in the Balkans where it's like 185-186cm or so... no wonder Balkan folks are so good at basketball and volleyball.

In my country, you wouldn't exactly be considered a manlet.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

You Dutch people really like to brag about your length aye?

I'm 163 cm myself. Sharing the same small size along with OpsiusCato and some other person here who I forgot the name of.

Having that said, I wish I was 10 cm's taller or so.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm 

colin040 wrote:

That will be Festivus' next thread.

The contents of your post have been mailed to Jackoroth's dad.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm 

I'm somewhere between 182-185cm, but I'm still in my growing age so it'll change sometime soon. I'm above the country's average though

Napero wrote:
I keep reading your username as "razzberrysoda". Too much Pokémon Go with youngest daughter, it seems.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

Last edited by raspberrysoda on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm 

droneriot wrote:
colin040 wrote:

That will be Festivus' next thread.

I don't care about the size of other dudes' junk... I'm bigger than all of you in that area anyway!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:58 pm 

180 cm. 16 years old, which means I did most of the growing now. What with all the old people I kept meeting as a kid everyone was telling me I'd be super tall, but I don't think that'll be the case. At most I might reach a 186 by the time I'm 20.

Ку.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:06 pm 

I'm 18 years old and around 6 feet tall (183 cm). I've always been really happy with my height, I'm taller than most of the people I know at my age level but not everybody. When I think about it, 6 feet really isn't that tall at all but it's not short so yay.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:32 pm 

I'm a 12 foot tall roided out psycho and nudist. I'm also an avid gun collector and open carry advocate so I've never once been told to leave a restaurant or public venue I crashed despite the fact that my very existence blows the minds of neurotypicals.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:39 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
blows the minds of neurotypicals.

reminds me of something SJWs would've said

Napero wrote:
I keep reading your username as "razzberrysoda". Too much Pokémon Go with youngest daughter, it seems.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm 

31 years old and 178cm, or 5'10.

I wish I were a little taller. Maybe like 6'2 or something. Even though I'm average height I always feel short.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm 

I actually don't know how tall I am. I do know that in my year I am of above average height for a guy and that I am taller than my mum, my 28 year old brother and as tall as my dad, in spite of a slouched posture. I'm perfectly fine with my height, needless to say.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I actually don't know how tall I am. I do know that in my year I am of above average height for a guy and that I am taller than my mum, my 28 year old brother and as tall as my dad, in spite of a slouched posture. I'm perfectly fine with my height, needless to say.

Yeah, I slouch a bit too. That's one of the disadvantages of being tall. Taller people tend to have worse posture and more back and knee problems than shorter ones.

I'm the 2nd tallest in my family. The tallest person in my family is my brother. Everyone else is of average height or their gender, iirc. Also, keep in mind older gens tend to be shorter.

stickyshooZ wrote:
31 years old and 178cm, or 5'10.

I wish I were a little taller. Maybe like 6'2 or something. Even though I'm average height I always feel short.

I'm 183-185 and wish I was 187-188 at times, for some silly reason. I guess us humans are never fully happy with ourselves.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:07 pm 

I'm about 6'4, besides the fact that I have to crouch under things and shower heads are rarely tall enough, being a tall white man is pretty dope. People afford me respect for basically no reason, and girls like it too, not that I'm any good at capitalizing on it.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:11 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I'm about 6'4, besides the fact that I have to crouch under things and shower heads are rarely tall enough, being a tall white man is pretty dope. People afford me respect for basically no reason, and girls like it too, not that I'm any good at capitalizing on it.

Riding on airplanes and cars must be tough, though. Are you at least good at basketball or volleyball? Plus, isn't it hard for you to find beds that fit you? And what about clothing?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:35 pm 

I always hear how ~6'2'' is the ideal male height, but I think that a lot of this is relative to your frame and how well you actually "fill out" your height when you are that tall.

I am 6'3'', my dad was 6'2'' and my mother and sister are both ~5'10''. I guess it LOOKS impressive, until I get up and start moving around, then I'm bumping into shit, my lanky arms swinging all over... it's awkward, and girls don't necessarily like this. Being quite tall, I get the sense that you are somehow "imposing" to strangers... someone mentioned that you get unspoken respect, but I've noticed that women kind of avoid me when I'm walking down the aisle at the grocery store, etc. sometimes I wish I was more innocuous and harmless looking, but I always try and remind myself that anyone can gain muscle, change their hairstyle, etc. but if you are short, you are fucked for life.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I always hear how ~6'2'' is the ideal male height, but I think that a lot of this is relative to your frame and how well you actually "fill out" your height when you are that tall.

I am 6'3'', my dad was 6'2'' and my mother and sister are both ~5'10''. I guess it LOOKS impressive, until I get up and start moving around, then I'm bumping into shit, my lanky arms swinging all over... it's awkward, and girls don't necessarily like this. Being quite tall, I get the sense that you are somehow "imposing" to strangers... someone mentioned that you get unspoken respect, but I've noticed that women kind of avoid me when I'm walking down the aisle at the grocery store, etc. sometimes I wish I was more innocuous and harmless looking, but I always try and remind myself that anyone can gain muscle, change their hairstyle, etc. but if you are short, you are fucked for life.

I've met many short and average guys who could pull girls without much trouble. I doubt most girls/women care as long as you're taller than them when they're wearing heels.
That being said, I would definitely NOT want to be under 6 feet. I wouldn't like to be as big as you are either... but if I had the choice to pick between being 6'3 and under 6 feet, I'd pick the former over the latter in a heartbeat.

Extremely tall people tend to be quite lanky, from my observation. And also tend to slouch, which is understandable. Being so goddamn tall seems like a pain.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm 

I'm 6'3". Just about average for Minnesota.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:42 pm 

In my first couple years of high school there was a kid with a growth problem who was about 7 foot 4-ish and he wasn't done growing. I'm not sure if he's still alive because he wasn't supposed to live very long, but I never got the chance to talk to him so I have no idea.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 pm 

I'm like a bit more than 6'2". I don't really think about it too much, so I guess that means I'm okay with it. I just wish it was more in the legs and less in the torso.

In regards to the ladies, I really don't think they give a shit. I've known tall dudes that had no luck and shorter ones that seemed to be drowning in it. Just don't be a weirdo and you're good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:12 pm 

176 cm which puts me around 5'9. When I was 12 I really shot up in height compared to everyone in my grade. Thought I'd be around 180cm by the time I was in my mid teens but no, I'm right where guys normally are in America.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

What is fucking you up is that you have no self esteem or confidence. Height is a no-factor here.

lord_ghengis
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 pm 

Does a height exist that can make up for being diamhea?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:53 pm 

He's not wrong. I've run into a number of times where I've got the comment "I'm so glad that you're tall, I couldn't date short guys." It's all preference, of course. Some people aren't bothered by height, or prefer short guys or really tall guys, or don't care as much if the person has prevailing personal qualities... At least that'd be the hope in a good, solid relationship. But, there are multiple studies that suggest it's not wrong to think women prefer tall guys. In fact, it appears to be scientifically the case.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
but if you are short, you are fucked for life.

Even with hyperbole, it's astonishing that people actually believe this. I know plenty of successful short men, one of whom is dating a woman ~25 years his junior...

Derigin wrote:
He's not wrong. I've run into a number of times where I've got the comment "I'm so glad that you're tall, I couldn't date short guys." It's all preference, of course. Some people aren't bothered by height, or prefer short guys or really tall guys, or don't care as much if the person has prevailing personal qualities... At least that'd be the hope in a good, solid relationship. But, there are multiple studies that suggest it's not wrong to think women prefer tall guys. In fact, it appears to be scientifically the case.

C'mon. There's a significant amount of of difference between "women statistically prefer taller men" to "if you're a short man, you're fucked for life".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:29 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Does a height exist that can make up for being diamhea?

:lol:

Yeah, i'm inclined to think it's a confidence thing re: the preference of the opposite sex. I know a fair few short dudes with attractive partners. I'm aware that's anecdotal, of course, but whatever. Certainly doesn't fuck you for life. Maybe if you were 5 foot nothing. Personally, I've been tall ever since I was 19 but it wasn't until I trimmed up a bit and gained confidence/stopped being a vaguely autistic manchild (around 24/25 years old) that I had more luck with the ladies.

I'm about 188 myself which is 6'2". So kinda tallish. I'm pretty happy about that, I can be a bit imposing to some people but that's more my build and because I can get really loud when I'm excited. Gives me a few advantages with some sports, helps me reach shit at work that other people struggle with, although I'm forever hitting my head on pipes and valves and shit. Apparently gold mills are designed by and for midgets.

VulpesInfernalis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 am 

I am five feet and 3 inches tall. My favorite singer ever (Kyo) is two inches smaller than me.

Niklas Sanger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:54 am 

I'm 5'11", its a nice height to beat, I'm glad I'm not too short or too tall. (Tall people can look creepy sometimes)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:23 am 

Diamhea wrote:

Dude...are you okay? You've been posting really strangely the last couple of days. What you're describing has nothing to do with your height and everything to do with your perception of the world. I've seen photos of you and you're a muscular machine. If people (not just women) are avoiding you, it's entirely because of intimidation, but if you're not walking around scowling and punching babies, I think it's all a misinterpretation of the world. Spending 1 second with you will show people you're okay. :)

Morrigan wrote:
C'mon. There's a significant amount of of difference between "women statistically prefer taller men" to "if you're a short man, you're fucked for life".

Yeah, exactly. Short people get girlfriends just like the rest of us! Well, not me, but "us" in general. :D

I'm 5'8, 173cm or thereabouts. I guess I'm short-normal. Most of my friends are taller than me and while I would've like a few extra inches of height, there's really nothing I can do about it. I'm also solid (read: fat) for my height so I'm perpetually in need of losing a few kilos, haha.
I have Facebook again. Make me not lame on there. (Let me know who you are first, of course.)

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:56 am 

Pfft. Amateurs.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:00 am 

170 cm. Teenage smoking and not eating well in that time propably have something to do with it. Though my parents are quite short too. My father is about 173 cm and my mother is propably not much over 160. Yes, I wish I'd be taller, but it is what it is.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:14 am 

hey, zodi, do you play basketball?? ;) ;)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next