Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
slander
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 am 

Ah, looks like I'm fucked.
Diagnosed with sudden hearing loss in my left ear a few weeks back, and received a little extra in the form of chronic tinnitus as well. Causes remain unknown. Steroid treatment doesn't seem to be yielding results.
Now that about a month has passed and tests show no significant changes, I'm beginning to accept the possibility that this might be it.
I remember reading a thread about tinnitus here years ago, and I thought I'd make a new one, now that I joined the dubious club of the hearing-impaired.

Listening to music has been... difficult, to say the least, with tinnitus persisting over everything. It seems like trying to drown the tinnitus in music just makes it flare up in an even worse fashion.
I'd like to hear how other people are dealing with this type of phenomenon in their lives, assuming there are people with similar stories who still post.

doomicus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am 

I have rather blatant and severe tinnitus, more so in my left ear than right but present in both. It's been something I've been dealing with for years now and honestly the only thing that ever helps is to ignore it as much as possible and trying not to stress and or focus on it as that only makes it even more noticeable. Other than that I just do my best to make sure it doesn't progress via ear protection at shows (I'm fond of etymotic high fidelity ear plugs). Shit is definitely a bummer.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 pm 

Sorry to hear it, man. I have something tinnitus-like that comes and goes and when it flares up it can be pretty annoying - especially at night, or if I'm concentrating on something and all of a sudden wham! hit with the tinnitus bat. At its worst it can make me dizzy as it comes on, but mostly it's just an onset of inner-ear pressure and that fucking zinging noise. Thankfully it never lasts too long; I can only imagine how annoying it would be full-time. A couple of people I know have chronic tinnitus - musician friends, dad who was in the army back when hearing protection was for poofs - and they all sleep with music/the radio on. From my own experience, trying to drown it out with music doesn't do anything but raise the whitenoise levels on the whole; I gotta have the music on at a lowish volume, just enough to kill the silence.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 pm 

I've had moderate (or possibly "severe") tinnitus in both of my ears for as long as I can remember. While it can be annoying as fuck at times, just remember that there are a lot of other people going through the same thing. White noise tracks definitely get my mind off of the constant ringing when I'm lying awake in bed at night, and there are different types of meditation that might work for you.

On a related note, I remember seeing a Youtube video of William Shatner talking about his tinnitus and how he considered suicide and whatnot because of it. It's pretty deep, I'll try to find it and post a link.

Edit: Found it.
Youtube: show

Piikkienkantaja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:46 pm 

I've seen this mentioned in the last couple of days on some news sites:

"Could electromagnetic pulses be used to treat tinnitus?"

I don't know if this will amount to anything, but it might be worth following.

From the article, it sounds like it applies to varieties of tinnitus that originate in the auditory cortex. It may or may not apply to varieties caused by, for example, pressure on the auditory nerve.

Reply to topic