Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wolfwatching
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm 

What videogames remind you of listening to metal? I used to play a lot of Halo 2 while listening to power metal and t made the game seem epic as fuck.

There are also a number of videogames that seem to go well visually, such as God of War, Skyrim (obviously) and Sacred 2.

But seriously, want to listen to some Amon Amarth while playing Viking: Battle for Asguard.

What in your opinion are the most metal games out there?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:28 pm 

i'm sure this has been discussed to death in the VG thread at some point....to me nothing is more metal than the first 3 megaman X games, and some of the old CPSII Capcom arcade cabinets (regarding soundtracks of course)

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:27 pm 

IDK if this really counts as, for one, I've never been a big time gamer, and two, it was just the music I would put on, not necessarily something I naturally associated with the game, but I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal like Iron Maiden and Dio when I would play Starcraft. I'd boot the game from my hard drive and play CD's in the disc drive.

Honestly, that was just what I think I was most into during the time I played Starcraft the most, but I do sometimes associate the two as a result, at least certain songs. I think I was probably listening to Piece of Mind a lot around that time.

I sometimes played Quake II accompanied by metal music as well (Morbid Angel comes to mind, and I probably listened because I knew Trey was into the series or something, but their music really seemed to suit it), and I suppose that was sort of a "metal" game if you ignore Trent Reznor's association with the Quake series (IIRC, he only scored the the QIII soundtrack, but it's been ages, so I don't remember).

EDIT: There may have been a time where I played Might & Magic: The Mandate of Heaven listening to a good deal of modern Euro PM (like Rhapsody and Freedom Call) as well... Obviously, those games do lend themselves well to PM.

PS: Also, duh, Duke Nukem (I am remembering all these games I've forgotten about)!

Wolfwatching
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
IDK if this really counts as, for one, I've never been a big time gamer, and two, it was just the music I would put on, not necessarily something I naturally associated with the game, but I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal like Iron Maiden and Dio when I would play Starcraft. I'd boot the game from my hard drive and play CD's in the disc drive.

Honestly, that was just what I think I was most into during the time I played Starcraft the most, but I do sometimes associate the two as a result, at least certain songs. I think I was probably listening to Piece of Mind a lot around that time.

I sometimes played Quake II accompanied by metal music as well (Morbid Angel comes to mind, and I probably listened because I knew Trey was into the series or something, but their music really seemed to suit it), and I suppose that was sort of a "metal" game if you ignore Trent Reznor's association with the Quake series (IIRC, he only scored the the QIII soundtrack, but it's been ages, so I don't remember).

EDIT: There may have been a time where I played Might & Magic: The Mandate of Heaven listening to a good deal of modern Euro PM (like Rhapsody and Freedom Call) as well... Obviously, those games do lend themselves well to PM.

PS: Also, duh, Duke Nukem (I am remembering all these games I've forgotten about)!

ha yeah I remember I had a big power metal play list for playing one of the Might and magic games.

It's strange how reading a book or playing a game, not to mention times in your life become associated with certain bands or songs. That's possibly one of the things that makes me a fan of certain bands rather than just listening to something and going "yeah that's cool I guess", I sort of need that context.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 pm 

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:43 pm 

I don't play a lot of videogames, (Many of them just get to be monotonous after about 15 hours of play) but I remember one time I listened to V by Vreid while playing Demon's Souls. I really can't imagine a better thing to listen to during Demon's Souls play. The vaguely catchy, but still very cold and grim music of Vreid suited the sort of bleak, gothic, but still eminently inviting atmosphere of the game so perfectly.

Also, listening to Awaken the Guardian while playing Morrowind is a great experience, as both Morrowind and Awaken the Guardian have this really quaint sense of yearning for easier days about them...

Witty stuff here soon. Watch this space!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:30 pm 

How about a game with Slayer, Testament, Axl Low (sic), Millia Rage, Eddie, and music like this:

And designed, drawn and composed by this guy?
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Metallic Kilt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 am 

...Seriously? No one mentioned Brutal Legend? It's the most obvious choice, it is literally a game based off of metal.

Anyway, try this on for size.

why
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:09 am 

Playing the gore-and-gunplay mod "brutal doom" for Doom 1 & 2 is one of the greatest pleasures one can ever have when it comes to the combination of metal and playing video games. It is a mod that allows you to constantly pump-action your shotgun in the rhythm of the music like an OCD motherfucker and has a feature to flip off dead or soon to be dead enemies. There is a nifty metal song pack available for it, but it is just such great joy to play your own variations of metal in the background and just create the messiest, most adrenaline fueled demon massacring experience known to man. The music and the plot-free action gameplay just merge seamlessly into another.

My current playlist for it:
The Crown - Deathrace King
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Sodom - Agent Orange
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood
Misery Index - Heirs to thievery
Vader - Future of the past (- the last 2 tracks)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:31 am 

There are a few games that work with moods and atmospheres comparable to what some of metal's greatest have to offer.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
The bleak, creeping horror of the mutant abominations and the dark, abandoned buildings they dwell in, haunted by the maddening aftermath of man's hubris - they inhabit the same twisted corner of the imagination as Autopsy's Mental Funeral. At the same time you have these surreal and threatening, yet wondrously beautiful and melancholic landscapes. A subconscious call to submit to the "Zone", become one with the living organism it seems to be. I find that Urfaust's Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist expresses such sentimentality married to peril.

Closure
One of the most consistently oppressive gaming experiences I have had. Reality is presented as a black abyss, with isolated islands of light which cause countless horrors to materialize, but which one has to desperately cling to to survive (death is no escape). This duality of terror and nihilism is best accompanied by the ode to fear and nightmares that is Occultation's Three and Seven.

I'll write some more of these pretentious little paragraphs later.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:22 pm 

Blind Guardian and Stratovarius for StarCraft, definitely. 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' and 'Infinite' are forever linked to that game because I listened to them while gaming all the time in high school. When I play SC2, those are still my albums of choice.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Blind Guardian and Stratovarius for StarCraft, definitely. 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' and 'Infinite' are forever linked to that game because I listened to them while gaming all the time in high school. When I play SC2, those are still my albums of choice.

Oh wow... I mean, Stratovarius, I can sort of understand, but NiME just doesn't seem like StarCraft music to me at all.

Witty stuff here soon. Watch this space!

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:53 am 

I used to play Spawn on Sega Dreamcast to Deicide playlists. Probably NO ONE remembers that Spawn game.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm 

Who here has seen Grosse Pointe Blank? The scene where the drugstore clerk is playing Doom II on an arcade machine with Motörhead blaring on his headphones, completely oblivious to the outrageous shootout occurring around him. That's me.

Edit: Gotta love YouTube.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHI_i3ncJH4

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:11 am 

why wrote:
Playing the gore-and-gunplay mod "brutal doom" for Doom 1 & 2 is one of the greatest pleasures one can ever have when it comes to the combination of metal and playing video games. It is a mod that allows you to constantly pump-action your shotgun in the rhythm of the music like an OCD motherfucker and has a feature to flip off dead or soon to be dead enemies. There is a nifty metal song pack available for it, but it is just such great joy to play your own variations of metal in the background and just create the messiest, most adrenaline fueled demon massacring experience known to man. The music and the plot-free action gameplay just merge seamlessly into another.

Man...playing DooM with freelook just feels so foreign to me.

Last.fm

why
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 am 

Diamhea wrote:
why wrote:

Man...playing DooM with freelook just feels so foreign to me.

You can disable mouselook in the settings
Edit:
but generally, you are right, it feels very different from the original doom, but I daresay it improves on most of the things that the original doom did right, additionally adding a few not-sucky modern features like reloading for some weapons, that increase tension IMO.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:17 am 

Check this mod out...holy fucking shit!
Spoiler: show

Last.fm

why
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Check this mod out...holy fucking shit!
Spoiler: show

The weapons appear to be a bit overpowered? Maybe it's the easiest setting but the enemies die like flies there. Otherwise it seems awesome.

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 am 

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (even featuring original music by Ministry), Gothic 1 and Risen 1 are the "metallist" games I've ever played. Angel Devoid: Face of the Enemy would be a close runner-up.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:10 pm 

The game Damage Incorporated (also featuring chapter art by Derek Riggs) licensed Death's Cosmic Sea for an intro song. Took me almost a decade to realize it was a real band's song, but I remember always loving it; that was around when I worshiped Metallica's long instrumentals but still struggled with most metal vocalists.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:29 pm 

The most metal videogame ever has to be THIS FUCKING MASTERPIECE

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:00 am 

Honestly, I attribute my love of metal to video games. Power Metal, especially. I didn't know it as a child, but games like Mega Man X planted a seed that came to fruition as I begun digging into the epic sounds of power and black metal during my late teens/early twenties.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:00 am 

Lowtide85 wrote:

I've heard they just added multiplayer. Is it any good?

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:08 am 

Every time I play Runescape, I get a really bad hankering to hear Are You Dead Yet.. I'm not a big fan of AYDY anymore, but when the rare time I pop on Runescape happens, I seriously need to listen that song. *laughs* Also, Neopets, always need to listen to Triple Corpse Hammerblow. I am so not ashamed to admit that I still play Neopets every once in awhile.

Whenever I get right into Oblivion, (which happens about twice a year, even if it's ancient and has about a million bugs), I think of sitting there with my buddy, rocking out to Stone's Reach by Be'lakor and playing Oblivion for hours on end, drunk as hell.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:25 am 

That's funny, I popped onto Neopets a few months back and it really hasn't changed much. I still have millions in neopoints that I have no real use for. That is why I lost interest originally, the combat is boring and that's all there really is outside of the games.

Last.fm

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:44 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Lowtide85 wrote:

I've heard they just added multiplayer. Is it any good?

I really don't know to be honest, I haven't played the game and since I have so much stuff to play I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:39 am 

I don't play video games very often but if I do, I don't like listening to music in the background. I prefer to listen to the game itself.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:35 pm 

^ I'm the same, unless it's like an open-world game where the music just cycles round. Minecraft and Morrowind are good examples. Though Morrowind's soundtrack is so good that I enjoy playing it with its own music every so often.

Relevant to both that and the topic, nothing is more appropriate than playing Morrowind with some Elvenking on, especially Wyrd. Journeys through magical lands are a staple of power metal, but Elvenking seem to have a knack of sounding really open and adventury and summery.
And even if I'm in the Ashlands, there's still songs from Era, with its album cover!

And in a similar vein, Wuthering Heights is excellently fitting too, especially their first three.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:01 am 

I've been playing Skyrim lately and I enjoy it's soundtrack a lot when I'm exploring the map.

rudinesbitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 am 

Been playing Shawdow of Mordor and I gotta say, I wish these new consoles let me put the music that I want on them, like we could on the old ones. It would be pretty epic.

Last edited by rudinesbitt on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am 

Just turn off the game's music and play something in the background. That works well enough, at least for me, although it's not exactly advisable to do that with every game.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm 

Four player shitstorm on Super Smash Bro's Melee and some thrash or power metal make for a wicked awesome fight.

Also, anyone remember the soundtrack while you were dueling Griphon (or Griffin, however they spell it in-game) in the original Devil May Cry? It's a tad off subject from the OP, but that soundtrack was badass! I remember just toying with him so I can keep listening to the song.

Edit: Too many "Awesomes!", I sound like I'm from the movie Mean Girls.
I'm trying to view the worst songs thread, by the way.

Someone started posting your music and the mods wanted to spare your feelings. ;)

Arkhane, Progressive Melodeath

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:45 pm 

I had the urge to listen to Primordial while playing Assassin's Creed III last week.

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:34 pm 

Burzum's Belus seems to go pretty well with Dark Souls. Then you gotta throw on Emperor for the boss battles.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:02 pm 

When playing NHL 2K6, I'd have my team skate out to Amon Amarth's "Return of the Gods" as the pre-game/intro/warmup song. Y'know, to intimidate the opposition.

despair14
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:46 pm 

for me metal goes great with pokemon

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:43 pm 

There was a video game called Lollipop Chainsaw which had references to Bathory and Enslaved.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:58 pm 

there was this mod for operation flashpoint which had this power metal band airut as soundtrack.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 pm 

I don't listen to anything but the sound coming from the game. The audio plays a huge part in my enjoyment. A great soundtrack can do wonders. I love playing Japanese games for these reasons. On the whole, I tend to enjoy their composers better. There are some great Japanese musicians (Yuzo Koshiro being my current favourite). Although speaking of the west, I absolutely love Dave Wise.

The only games I would listen to my music with would be stuff like Forza. I don't play those sorts of racing games very often.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I don't listen to anything but the sound coming from the game. The audio plays a huge part in my enjoyment. A great soundtrack can do wonders. I love playing Japanese games for these reasons. On the whole, I tend to enjoy their composers better. There are some great Japanese musicians (Yuzo Koshiro being my current favourite). Although speaking of the west, I absolutely love Dave Wise.

The only games I would listen to my music with would be stuff like Forza. I don't play those sorts of racing games very often.

Agred. I die a little inside when people say they override the game's sound with their music. Unless the sound/music of the game is truly terrible, I can't imagine ever doing that.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next