Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:59 pm 

This may get locked, because I know there's already an RPG / board game thread, but it's not very active and it seems heavily slanted towards talk about RPGs. I wanted to talk about these two games specifically.

Are there any chess and/or Go players here? I've been playing chess since I was a kid. Not very actively in the last few years, but I'm always up for a game, although my concentration is not what it used to be and I'm a far worse player now than I was a decade and more ago. I was introduced to Go by this very peculiar fellow at chess club, who described it thus: 'Chess is a battle; Go is a war.' He taught me how to play, or tried to, but I never caught on. I know what you're supposed to do, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I just put stones down randomly. So if any of you play Go, I would love some instruction on how not to be a complete sucktard at it.

Personal request aside, let's hear your thoughts about these games. Have you ever played in tournaments? Do you prefer speed chess or regular chess? Favorite chess players? Etc.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:19 pm 

I've heard of Go, but I've never played it. Chess, I was taught by a cousin of sorts when I was a kid, and I play from time to time when I'm around someone who knows how. I'm not very good at it, as I have the habit of focusing on one side of the board at the expense of the other. I've never played in tournaments though I wouldn't be opposed to doing so if my area had one, and I know next to nothing about professional chess except a guy named Bobby Fischer was an eccentric who became famous for beating the Soviets decades ago.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

I played chess quite a lot as a teen, but regrettably interest disappeared in having a club at my high school. Since then I've only played with a few relatives, and practically gave it up fter my grandfather passed away. Well, there's the computer, but playing against that damn thing is such a pain in the ass because it isn't programmed to surrender. Chasing a stranded king around the screen for twenty minutes gets old!

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 pm 

I love chess, but have nobody to play it with, except Windows 7 Chess Titans- and event that might go away if they ever manage to force me to "upgrade" (sic) to Windows 10 (which I will avoid doing as long as I conceivable can.)
I was never a great chess player, but it is an interesting and fun game, and it is satisfying to beat the computer (obviously I can't beat it at the championship level though.) One annoying thing the computer will do is try to "trick" the player into a stalemate, which is pretty tacky but you gotta watch for it.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:23 pm 

I learned how to play waaaaay chess back when I was 2 or 3 years old thanks to a combination of my grandpa and the old game Battle Chess he kept on his Apple II. I have no idea how good I actually was since obviously nobody my age knew how to play, my grandpa very likely let me win more than a few times, and by the time I was in school, I had a few years of practice under my belt and could smoke anybody just learning. I stopped playing around the time I was 9 or 10. No real reason, not a whole lot of people to play with and I was just far more enraptured in videogames by that point. A few of my close friends were in Chess Club in high school and I played against them once or twice and got royally spanked. Played a few times while waiting to be kicked out of the Navy since there was a lot of downtime and they kept a bunch of books and a handful of board games around for those stretches of time since we were all leaving anyway. I whooped everybody who didn't really know what they were doing, but two of the guys in the Separations Unit were fucking cartoonishly smart and it definitely translated into their game, since they both completely destroyed me and played a really intense game against each other. So yeah, I like it but I don't really have many opportunities to play (though I do still always keep a chess board around just in case the opportunity arises) and my skill was never particularly high, but it's fun.

All I know about Go is that Guan Yu was apparently crazy good at it.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:03 pm 

I remember Battle Chess. I actually didn't care for it; I wanted to keep the game pure. :p I was an avid chess player in high school; my best friend at the time and I would even play each other over the phone by each setting up a board, calling out our move, and changing it accordingly. Had some good games like that. In 2003, while living in Arizona, I started going to this chess club at the library. I met some cool people there. Some odd ones, too, like the guy who showed me Go. I think he really wanted to turn the chess club into a Go club. I sort of got into it, but I never understood it, so it didn't last. Meanwhile, I was playing chess with the club, and with my friend Carl, who was the son of the guy who owned the gym were I worked out. We had a series of games, every Friday or Saturday night, I forget which. He was better than me, but not so much better that I didn't give him a run for his money. I think the end score was 9 - 16, with him as the winner. I miss those days.

Now I don't have anyone to play chess or Go with, so I play online. If any of you want to play chess some time, just let me know.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:39 am 

Battle Chess... first PC game I've ever played. Or was that The 7th Guest? Don't remember. It was 20 years ago or nearly already.

I used to play chess with classmates during breaks at school back in HS, mostly in 11th grade, but never got dedicated to become good enough at it. I'd win lots of games but also lose lots of them. Never played in tournaments or anything like that.

Have not played Chess in a long time. Sometimes I download a chess app for android or tablet since it's a good time sinker, but eh.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 am 

I've never played Go but the game looks interesting. I probably wouldn't have any clue how to play.

I like Chess and I play Chess With Friends on my phone with a couple of opponents. I'm nowhere near any good at it, though, but it's nice to play it when I'm bored or whatever. :)

Reply to topic