Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm 

I've been strongly considering a career change towards getting involved in the music industry in some capacity, namely metal or some other form(s) of extreme music. Whether it's in journalism or label management or promotion or engineering at a studio, this is something I want to get my foot in the door of but currently lack experience in. I get that it's a close-knit market that isn't the most lucrative and has its share of nepotism, so I'm not so disillusioned in that regard. What I'm asking the forums is based purely on what you all know through your own experiences and/or that of others about how I might start down one of those aforementioned paths. What formal education is required? If so, what are some reputable schools I should be looking at? Whom and where should I avoid?

I'm not posing these questions in hopes of finding all the answers here, and I understand this isn't the most profound source of expertise as I'm looking for information in other sources as well. Therefore, I'm asking of the moderators to please let this thread stand with that in mind and if this should be moved somewhere else or locked, so be it. If anyone here would be kind enough to lend some basic pointers to help find a step-off point, it would be most appreciated. Thanks, guys.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:42 pm 

I mean, you're kind of all over the place there, buddy. Step one: figure out what part of the industry you want to work in. The "path" to being a music journalist is vastly different than an engineer.

I worked in the industry for too long (still not very long). You don't need any "formal" education, and in fact, a lot of "Business of the Music Industry" programmes are money-grabs. You might learn some fun things about royalty accounting, or, at the very least, be able to intern at a label, but its mostly a waste of time. Interning is probably the best, and now likely the only way unless you "know someone", way to get your foot in the door, but be expected to spend a lot of time getting coffee, restocking shelves, sorting demos, and not learning anything practical. I got really lucky in that I was overqualified for what I was doing, but most people intern forever before they even get a hint of an interview. Then again, even interning is hard these days, because the idiots who spend 2 years interning at labels are getting more and more "qualified" as the years go on - we had an intern with an MBA and two other degrees.

Be expected to work long hours for little, or no, compensation, other than the supposed "joy" of working in the industry. The perks of going to free gigs, etc., still exist, but the glory days are kind of long gone.

I don't know. If you have any specific questions, I guess you can PM me.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:02 pm 

Save yourself the $$. Once you graduate with that degree, you are bound to be a blue collar worker in today's economy. And on top of that, you want to be involved with metal...worst industry to be in. It's really who you know rather than the degree you get. College could potentially open your door to some internships, but I'm sure it will not be metal related.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 pm 

I'd definitely recommend getting a degree first as something to fall back on and then decide what you want to do.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm 

I hear people talk about getting together with some people and hosting gigs and annual festivals all the time on here, I'd recommend finding a thread with people talking about that and talking to them about the whole process of planning the event, to permits, to setting up PA systems and all of that kind of stuff.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm 

I actually got my foot into the music industry last year doing rigging, stage setup, scaffolding, installation of video audio. Physical work for the most part. This year I got to be a roadie for a Canadian rock band for a few months - about 20 gigs in total across. And of course I observe who does what, the skills they have, the positive and the negative aspects of the job.

If you going to own your own label and doing producing / maybe soundman job then you can say OK I'm sticking to metal. Otherwise you can forget about the idea working just in the field. The music industry is build on a premiss of if there is work you take it even if its Justin Bieber (which is by far not the worst gig to score) but you land doing something like Fall out Boy because it pays your bills. You really need to look deep inside yourself and asses what is it you are good at or see yourself being a part off. Is it sound, is it video, is it technical support, is it management, is it creative/marketing, is it being whoever etc. Are you good with people / bad with people.

How old are you - because most of the people I know started early because this kind of industry is word of mouth thing - there is no resume, if you are good you would have work, if you suck you would land going screamo gigs for 150$ a night at the most. You really need to explore the fields you think you might like - start eliminating fields that you don't like (this is easier). If you want to ask specific stuff once you figure out, give a shout here and I'll try to guide you as much as possible and give you the most honest opinion.

Reply to topic