Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Myjk
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:58 pm
Posts: 140
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:12 pm 
 

http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal ... -musician/
_________________
Your god is not dead, for you cannot kill what never existed.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:16 pm 
 

The redundant title of that article was a little redundant.

Top
 Profile  
CorpseFister
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm
Posts: 1904
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm 
 

Something that article fails to address is the line “not the best fit for our house and our other tenants”. It would be different if it was a private unit in a large complex or something, but this seems like shared accommodation and it’s reasonable for people to have preferences on who they want for roommates. I’ve seen plenty of drug/alcohol free housing, women who only want to live with other women, student only housing, vegan/veggie only. Hell, I’ve even seen ‘must be 420 friendly’ houses.

Seems a bit odd to decline him cause he plays in a metal band, but it’s not ‘appalling discrimination’ as the article puts it.

Top
 Profile  
oogboog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 865
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm 
 

I kinda want to know how they defined the band as "evil". Maybe the people actually took the time to look at the lyrics and analyze them.
_________________
wrath of poo wrote:
but not sub-genes of death metal ( like grindcore and black metal).

Top
 Profile  
pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 579
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
 

had to look them up, and yeah i agree with the landlady, they fuckin suck!

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3112
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm 
 

CorpseFister wrote:
Something that article fails to address is the line “not the best fit for our house and our other tenants”. It would be different if it was a private unit in a large complex or something, but this seems like shared accommodation and it’s reasonable for people to have preferences on who they want for roommates. I’ve seen plenty of drug/alcohol free housing, women who only want to live with other women, student only housing, vegan/veggie only. Hell, I’ve even seen ‘must be 420 friendly’ houses.

Seems a bit odd to decline him cause he plays in a metal band, but it’s not ‘appalling discrimination’ as the article puts it.


this pretty much.

Also, if the people don't want him there, why would he want to be there? I can't think of a suckier thing than to live in a shared accommodation with people who don't like your lifestyle, and actively tried to keep you out.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 pm
Posts: 238
Location: New York
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 pm 
 

pastafarian wrote:
had to look them up, and yeah i agree with the landlady, they fuckin suck!


I was about to say they probably thought his band sucked. They look like they fucking blow.
_________________
Pentu- Harsh noise/power electronics
Check out my blog Lies in Czech: Reviews and music

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5630
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 pm 
 

I get noise complaints from the neighbors whenever I play guitar without headphones plugged into the amplifier(even if it's just some blues lick). In all honesty to a point I can understand why they didn't let him have it, especially if they've had a loud musician living there before.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
Ribos
Radioactive Man

Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 pm
Posts: 3028
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 am 
 

CorpseFister wrote:
Something that article fails to address is the line “not the best fit for our house and our other tenants”. It would be different if it was a private unit in a large complex or something, but this seems like shared accommodation and it’s reasonable for people to have preferences on who they want for roommates. I’ve seen plenty of drug/alcohol free housing, women who only want to live with other women, student only housing, vegan/veggie only. Hell, I’ve even seen ‘must be 420 friendly’ houses.

Seems a bit odd to decline him cause he plays in a metal band, but it’s not ‘appalling discrimination’ as the article puts it.

If it is a room/unit in a house, it's not even that odd to decline him. Musicians have to practice their instruments. If he's going to do so in the house, everyone else has to hear him as well. How often have you heard some d-bag with a guitar playing some Oasis or DMB song and wanted to punch him in his goddamn face to make him stop? Now imagine trying to live with that person. Definitely not good times.

If, personality-wise, he doesn't seem like a good fit, there's no reason they should accept him into the house. Simple as that.
_________________
843182 wrote:
biohazard the band is not is when you want to add it to tell you that there is

Top
 Profile  
VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 159
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm 
 

oogboog wrote:
I kinda want to know how they defined the band as "evil". Maybe the people actually took the time to look at the lyrics and analyze them.



They were obviously joking . . .
_________________
http://last.fm/user/vhsdvd

Top
 Profile  
Myjk
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:58 pm
Posts: 140
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:23 pm 
 

Ribos wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:
Something that article fails to address is the line “not the best fit for our house and our other tenants”. It would be different if it was a private unit in a large complex or something, but this seems like shared accommodation and it’s reasonable for people to have preferences on who they want for roommates. I’ve seen plenty of drug/alcohol free housing, women who only want to live with other women, student only housing, vegan/veggie only. Hell, I’ve even seen ‘must be 420 friendly’ houses.

Seems a bit odd to decline him cause he plays in a metal band, but it’s not ‘appalling discrimination’ as the article puts it.

If it is a room/unit in a house, it's not even that odd to decline him. Musicians have to practice their instruments. If he's going to do so in the house, everyone else has to hear him as well. How often have you heard some d-bag with a guitar playing some Oasis or DMB song and wanted to punch him in his goddamn face to make him stop? Now imagine trying to live with that person. Definitely not good times.

If, personality-wise, he doesn't seem like a good fit, there's no reason they should accept him into the house. Simple as that.


He was on a local radio station here yesterday and he claimed that all his practicing came at the bands rehearsal space and that he wouldn't be practicing in the house at all. Personally I think he just suck it up and move on and stop whining.
_________________
Your god is not dead, for you cannot kill what never existed.

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2749
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:35 pm 
 

"We are uncomfortable with the energy that this music manifests. "

What a shitty article that jumps to all sorts of conclusions based on this one statement though it is mostly in a mocking tone. If I was in their position and the potential tenant was a rapper that sounded like Nicki Minaj I would probably reject her to. This really isn't news worthy.

And I completely agree with Myjk, the kid needs to stop whining and find somewhere else to live. People get rejected all the time when trying to find a place to live.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
Yahko
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:27 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 am 
 

If you are some 50+ year old person who rents their house/apartment in the area of downtown Toronto and you have a choice between a hipster who works in a graphic design company or a metal head who works in a publishing company. Your instinct is to get the hipster just because you know he wont play loud music, his friends are hipsters as well so any parties he would have would be not as heavy as the metal head guy. In the end you want a tenant that would not make noise, not break the walls and not turn the place into a brothel. No one said that the hipster wont do that - but generally speaking you want simple people as tenants.
_________________
ermmtheslightlyirate wrote:
THRASH!!!! IT'S THRASH

Top
 Profile  
The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 87
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:57 pm 
 

Is that what a metal musician looks like?? Ah.

Top
 Profile  
The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 87
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 pm 
 

I live in Toronto, I have seen Vilipend, and I have seen this article on numerous lamp posts about town. However, what you see here is a fabrication, I assure you. The real article is entitled "Landlord Takes the War on False Metal Into His Own Hands". Unfortunately, his efforts were made futile by the abundance of hipsters and affordable housing in this city.

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 953
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 am 
 

Yahko wrote:
If you are some 50+ year old person who rents their house/apartment in the area of downtown Toronto and you have a choice between a hipster who works in a graphic design company or a metal head who works in a publishing company. Your instinct is to get the hipster just because you know he wont play loud music, his friends are hipsters as well so any parties he would have would be not as heavy as the metal head guy. In the end you want a tenant that would not make noise, not break the walls and not turn the place into a brothel. No one said that the hipster wont do that - but generally speaking you want simple people as tenants.


The problem with that is there's an awful lot of assumption going on there. There a quite a lot of metalheads who do not get absolutely fucked out of their minds and start running into walls. And a brothel? Come on, man. Metalhead's are far from the top of the whore food chain. And you're right, that hipster wouldn't listen to loud, abrasive music. He'd just listen to loud, shitty ass alternative music. And a lot of Modest Mouse.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2322
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:24 am 
 

He should leave the cat do the talking.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:39 pm 
 

Both parties involved in this are silly. Now the man renting has every right not to rent to the metalhead. Since it is shared housing, it is important that a person is picked that would go well with the existing tenants. If an agreement had already been signed or it was a private unit, my opinion would be completely in favour of the musician. What really bothers me about the man who is renting:

Quote:
“I will be straight up with you both. We were quite ready to make a decision in your favour the other night.

However, upon investigation of the band Vilipend, it has brought forward some concerns for us. We are uncomfortable with the energy that this music manifests.

We really enjoyed meeting with you both and you have shown both professionalism and patience in this process. We thank you for that. However, we feel it is not the best fit for our house and our other tenants.”


It seems like the landlord already liked the guy and he was obviously ready to move him in. The fact that him playing in a metal band would completely change his mind is really silly and petty of him. Judging from this he seems like a closed-minded person.

The metal musician is also silly for kicking up a fuss about it. The man has every right to choose what personality/type of person he wants living with him, no matter how petty his selection may be. I mean he certainly does not have the right to discriminate based on race or whatever, but he can choose what type of personality he wants to rent to. And the people on the internet saying this is a human rights abuse - fucking come on guys, its obviously not. Its not like he rented to someone and after a month found out the man was gay, and then kicked him out and told him he was going to hell or whatever. He simply chose not to rent to him because he didn't like the guy's band (again, very petty, but he has ever right). This whole situation is stupid and doesn't deserve all the attention it's getting.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 pm 
 

Many are protesting about discrimination in the Chik-Fil-A thread but hardly anyone is sympathetic to the guy here, isn't discrimination in any form not to be tolerated this day and age?

If the guy becomes a nuisance deal with it then under the terms of his tenacy. But to go on looks or what someone does for recreation?


CorpseFister wrote:
I’ve seen plenty of drug/alcohol free housing, women who only want to live with other women


Women who may have been subjected to physical violence or don't want to be pestered every time they leave/enter the building.
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3690
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:49 am 
 

They can't be too smart if they claim this is a breach of Ontario's human rights code.

It would be a pretty awful city to live in if you couldn't reject a person's tenancy application because you didn't like them.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm 
 

"If Lara and I were discriminated against as a dual full-time income, caucasian, middle-class, heterosexual couple with good references and credit checks.."


definitely evil then
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
dhussey111
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 18
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 am 
 

Myjk wrote:
http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal-musician-denied-an-apartment-because-hes-a-metal-musician/

and for your signature "Myjk" GOD exist but you can not see ..
_________________
logo design

Top
 Profile  
breeze kneeze
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 79
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:08 am 
 

They probably do suck. Look at them standing outside with t-shirts on, looking like they feel cold, and they're smiling.


Last edited by breeze kneeze on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 am 
 

dhussey111 wrote:
Myjk wrote:
http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal-musician-denied-an-apartment-because-hes-a-metal-musician/

and for your signature "Myjk" GOD exist but you can not see ..

Go away.
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2749
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
Many are protesting about discrimination in the Chik-Fil-A thread but hardly anyone is sympathetic to the guy here, isn't discrimination in any form not to be tolerate


Are you really comparing the 2?

The issue with Chick-fillet is it is a big deal as they are a large franchise donating a lot of money to anti-gay groups. Here it is just a landlord rejecting a tennant because he doesn't want a metalhead. The problem is one small isolated incident where the kid can just find another place to live. Sure it is an act of discrimination but it is such a small and isolated incident compared to the Chick-Filet issue.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 87
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 pm 
 

AcidWorm wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
Many are protesting about discrimination in the Chik-Fil-A thread but hardly anyone is sympathetic to the guy here, isn't discrimination in any form not to be tolerate


Are you really comparing the 2?

The issue with Chick-fillet is it is a big deal as they are a large franchise donating a lot of money to anti-gay groups. Here it is just a landlord rejecting a tennant because he doesn't want a metalhead. The problem is one small isolated incident where the kid can just find another place to live. Sure it is an act of discrimination but it is such a small and isolated incident compared to the Chick-Filet issue.

Not to mention different users have different opinions. I doubt it is all the same people whose views suddenly shift to the polar opposite once it is a shitty metal band instead of a big franchise. Shitstorms commence just about everywhere on the internet.

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8473
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:03 pm 
 

dhussey111 wrote:
and for your signature "Myjk" GOD exist but you can not see ..

Maybe so in Pakistan. But not in the real world. If you intend to start making a religious scene on a site with a population that's 75% atheist, and that is owned and run by atheists, and has at least 6 atheists out of the 7 admins, I suggest you go somewhere else.

God is imaginary, religion is a bullshit meme, and the religious people are indoctrinated sheep who will never see the world as it really is. On the other hand, so are most atheists on the net. This planet sucks.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
 

dhussey111 wrote:
Myjk wrote:
http://www.aux.tv/2012/07/toronto-metal-musician-denied-an-apartment-because-hes-a-metal-musician/

and for your signature "Myjk" GOD exist but you can not see ..

I'm new and even I can see you're not going to have a good time on this website.


And I don't see the big deal, people get denied places to live for all kinds of reasons. Even having a cat will make a lot of people not rent to you.

Top
 Profile  
Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 pm
Posts: 238
Location: New York
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 am 
 

Napero wrote:
dhussey111 wrote:
and for your signature "Myjk" GOD exist but you can not see ..

Maybe so in Pakistan. But not in the real world. If you intend to start making a religious scene on a site with a population that's 75% atheist, and that is owned and run by atheists, and has at least 6 atheists out of the 7 admins, I suggest you go somewhere else.

God is imaginary, religion is a bullshit meme, and the religious people are indoctrinated sheep who will never see the world as it really is. On the other hand, so are most atheists on the net. This planet sucks.


Every time you post its always a laugh because I can't take anything you say seriously.
_________________
Pentu- Harsh noise/power electronics
Check out my blog Lies in Czech: Reviews and music

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8473
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:44 am 
 

Violent_Possessor wrote:
Every time you post its always a laugh because I can't take anything you say seriously.

Thank you. You've discovered a hidden fact: never take Napero seriously, and you'll have an easier life.

But but... Do I sense a wish to start arguing? It's OK to be religious, you know. Choosing a suitable arena for preaching is a good idea, though, and this site sure as hell aren't one of those.
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 pm
Posts: 238
Location: New York
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 am 
 

Napero wrote:
Violent_Possessor wrote:
Every time you post its always a laugh because I can't take anything you say seriously.

Thank you. You've discovered a hidden fact: never take Napero seriously, and you'll have an easier life.

But but... Do I sense a wish to start arguing? It's OK to be religious, you know. Choosing a suitable arena for preaching is a good idea, though, and this site sure as hell aren't one of those.


Still not taking you seriously.
_________________
Pentu- Harsh noise/power electronics
Check out my blog Lies in Czech: Reviews and music

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8473
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 am 
 

And you still have no point, so we are even. Ain't friendship magical?
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Empyreal, Smoking_Gnu and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group