Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The end of the episode pissed me off. I just hope Walt dies at this point.

not too far off from my own feelings.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:09 pm 

Spoiler: show
Hank found Gale's journal. It's fucking on like Donkey Kong. WALT VS. HANK, 2013

Obligatory Last FM Link

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm 

Hank's face at the end was priceless. :lol I'm glad Walt gave Jesse his share of the money at least. Also of course...the prison scene was brutal but nicely done

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm 

First of all to all the people who whine about Skyler and that she sucks so much - she just pulled the smartest thing ever to knock some sense into Walt in the past 2 seasons. I salute her indeed.

I surely didnt see the ending coming to such a development. Its going to be interesting in watching Hank figuring his case out because he has, beyond reasonable doubt, to prove his theory. Then he has to face a moral conflict of what to do and lastly how to do it. I kinda now feel bad for him because ALL his work (he is probably the greatest detective out there) is crushing down to a much tougher case. I wonder at what point Hank would find out about the Czech ordeal. Because If the blue shit sticks there it would spread like the black plague all across Europe.

I was happy to see Walt being responsible for Jessy's monetary assistance, and it was interesting seeing Jessy being on guard against Walt and yet again he was wrong and he again felt like a complete idiot.

I wonder how much Walt paid for the jail cleanup - 100K a head ?

Last edited by Yahko on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 pm 

Hey genius, use spoiler tags.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:11 am 

I haven't read the entire thread since I'm not caught up (last episode I saw was the train heist, S5), but perhaps I should stop read it because the rabid, irrational hatred for Skyler is genuinely pissing me off.

Walt is really a complete monster, but Skyler gets all the shit for her mild flaws in comparison (omg she fucked another man while being in a fucked up marriage, LYNCH HER)? This is just fucked up and shows that people have their priorities completely out of whack. Either that or good ol' fashioned sexism, I guess.

Yes, I said it, because I genuinely think it's part of it, even if the haters might not even realize it themselves. The same thing is happening to Catelyn Stark. People hate her for a bunch of bogus reasons, they forgive the same "flaws", or even far worse ones, in other male characters. Meh. I see it way too often: flawed males are always so deep and real and "human", flawed females are "annoying bitches who needs to die already".

Skyler is a fantastic character, superbly written, very real and very human, flawed but strong, she's clever and cunning (the "bimbo secretary" stunt she pulled on the auditor had me in stitches, as did her plan to get the carwash). She's not a paragon of virtue but compared to Walt she's still very morally solid and put up with so much of Walt's bullshit, and I am rooting for her, though I expect at some point Walt will feed her that ricin cigarette to kill her, though I hope not. (And some disgusting sickos here will cheer, no doubt...)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 am 

:hail:
KING DIAMOND salute for Morrigan, the voice of reason!

I have never understood the hatred for Skyler or the distaste for Walt Jr. I find Skyler incredibly compelling and well developed as a character. How the HELL did you guys think she'd possibly react after finding out? It was a betrayal, plain and simple and whether you agree with what she felt or how she's acted since then, you have to acknowledge that it was a betrayal.

Walt developed into a completely different man than the one she knew right beneath her nose and while she was fulfilling her role as dutiful, compassionate wife in the wake of the devastating news of his illness, he was dancing outside the zones of his moral continent. She had no idea and to fully grasp what he had become would shake anyone.

Morrigan is right, there is an unwelcome hint of sexism in the way Skyler is hated on. She's being viewed as bitchy even when she is legitimately coming from a place of hurt and bewilderment. But she has proven time and again to be greatly resourceful and cunning, so enjoy her while you can.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 am 

The face I've been waiting all season/series for. Image

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:31 am 

Priceless, bitch!

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 am 

Skyler's alright in my book and I certainly hope she's alive at the end of the show. I do enjoy the more cunning side of her though and I hope we get more of that for the last part of the season. I really really wanted her to punch Walt in the face at the end of 'Madrigal'. I think I'm being vague enough as not to have to use spoilers. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm 

As of this last episode, Skyler was even so much more badass than before.

Her plan of protecting the kids worked. Walt was forced to quit. Walt would've gone on forever if Skyler hadn't intervened. Skyler is awesome for making Walt stop. Something Gus, the law, Tuco, no one else did. Skyler got Walt to stop.

But now next year is gonna be Walt vs. the law and I have to wonder how that's gonna go down.

Last edited by Kahalachan on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm 

It was a great episode, I love this show's subtlety. I will say that I wish they gave Jesse more attention, but I suppose this show is mainly about Walt.
It will be really interesting to see where it goes after the surprising end of the mid-season finale.
Also
Do you guys think the cancer is back? It was strongly hinted at.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BlasphemousGoatSodomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm 

In addition to hinting that the cancer was back this episode, Walt was taking some pills and coughing in the flash forward in the season premiere, so I'm going to assume yes.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:31 pm 

I think Walt's cancer coming back is the reason he's coming out. He's making peace with his inevitability death. He probably wouldn't even be able to prolong his life with that much money.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am 

The prison montage was nauseating.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm 

http://i.imgur.com/WSTvu.jpg
Contains spoilers.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 pm 

That is awesome. And it just might happen like that too. :eek:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:05 pm 

Also, I declare spoiler tags unnecessary for this thread (though do use them in the general TV thread). If you haven't watched the season, then don't click the thread, or do so at your own risk (like I did, I stopped reading all posts that were posted after the air date of the last episode I had seen). Common sense, please.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 am 

I don't understand how Walt can just be out. He has new distributors now, who get a 35% cut of what is obviously a fuckton of money. They won't just let that slide, they will want that 35% to keep on flowing in indefinitely. I can't see how these new distributors couldn't be any more dangerous to him than Gus was really. What's stopping them from being psychopaths who would threaten him and his family at gunpoint to keep him cooking for them? Sure they could go back to the old cook, but they get more money for "coke classic". He could teach someone else to cook like him, but I don't see him giving away his formula due to his pride, and either way it would take weeks so he wouldn't be out straight away.

I think he has to have been bullshitting Skyler. I'm sure the creators can't have overlooked those issues I just mentioned with the new distributors

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

I felt the same way too. Those new distributors won't let him go that easily. Then again, his only contact is that nervous woman, so maybe he could get rid of her?

The writers have never let plot holes unresolved (although I always figured Mary's shoplifting would eventually lead somewhere but I guess it was just "character development"), so I'm confident this will be addressed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 pm 

Yeah seems like next year will pan out as the pic shows. The reason Walt is getting a gun in the beginning of Season 5 is cause of the distributors not Hank. This last episode might be a curveball.

In a touch of irony, what Skyler wanted would endanger the family cause Walt going out is the deadliest thing he could've done.

Hmmmmmm........damn have to wait a year to see what really happens.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm 

Haha .. Marie's shoplifting seemed more of a character point because that's what passes for risk-taking in her life. Hank gives her a disgruntled slap on the wrist and a disapproving look and she can feel chagrined. She's actually one of my favorite actors on the show. Consistently painfully awkward. Gawd it's like the woman has never taken a deep breath in her life.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm 

Hah, Mary (or Marie?) is hilarious. A well-meaning, caring person with good intentions, but sooo oblivious to how annoying she is to everyone. Poor girl. :lol: I kinda felt sorry for her when Hank was being such a grumpy dick to her, though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm 

I feel like she won't even be able to process when she learns the truth. She'll look like a pigeon on mushrooms.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:19 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I felt the same way too. Those new distributors won't let him go that easily. Then again, his only contact is that nervous woman, so maybe he could get rid of her?

The writers have never let plot holes unresolved (although I always figured Mary's shoplifting would eventually lead somewhere but I guess it was just "character development"), so I'm confident this will be addressed.

The funniest example of this is when Walt threw the pizza on the roof, viewers were wondering why pizza was uncut. In season 4, there was a scene with Badger at the house party explaining why the pizzas he brought were uncut. Heh.

I admire the relative lack of loose ends in the story. For the mysteries that do exist, you can bet that it's going to come up in a future episode. In season 5, the Grey Matter story, something that was teased in seasons 1/2 and left alone, was used to manipulate Jesse while also telling the viewers what the hell happened. I thought that was great.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:37 am 

I can't get over what a complete throw away episode Fly was. Thankfully there hasn't been any more silly episodes like that.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 am 

I liked Fly, even though it was filler. It was pretty entertaining and really showed how neurotic Walt is.

That said, though I do consider it filler, I read a pretty good defense of the episode by someone who disagreed with me. He argues his case well, so here it is just for reference:

Ond wrote:
I don't consider 'Fly' to be filler. It was certainly one of the more placid and reflective episodes of the series, and perhaps it was designed to be 'filler' in terms of the pacing of season 3, but ultimately the plot and metaphor of the episode was very relevant to the show as a whole. It's obvious that the point of that episode was not the face-value aspect of a fly acting as a contaminant, the fly represented Walt's trepidation to continue his role as a cook for Gus, more specifically I think it represented Gale - an element that Walt realized created jeopardy for his safety/his family's safety. Walt thinks the fly is dispatched during the episode, but at the very end we see another fly hanging around - foreshadowing Gale's death (which seems to resolve Walt's safety/his identity as Heisenberg) and his role in Hank discovering Walt (the fly appearing at the beginning of 'Gliding Over All', Gale, the fly/contaminant, being the catalyst to Walt's downfall due to the book's dedication)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am 

When that episode ended my room mate said "I don't want to sound negative but..." and I cut him off with "That was the worst episode of anything ever?".

I don't think the metaphor was lost on me, obviously it was about a lot more than a god damned fly, but the execution was just WOEFULLY boring and frustrating. It almost felt antagonistic towards the viewers, which maybe was the goal to help you identify with Walt or something. Either way, fuck that episode man.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:43 pm 

Is it just me or did everyone else here loop the season 4 finale nursing home explosion aftermath OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER? I literally watched that scene over 100 times in one sitting. Quite possibly one of my favorite cinematic scenes of all time. Although it was extremely extremely unrealistic, I literally thought that Gus was a Terminator and that the series would spiral into a final season in the Terminator tv series. I was seroiusly looking forward to seeing a flap of flesh drooping over a metal exoskeleton.

Here is the scene, someone already beat me to it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvBXc55ddE

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 pm 

Yeah that Fly episode was pretty weak, though i see what they were going for with it. It's not one of those classic episodes of the show you could just watch as a standalone viewing, but if there's anything this show needs it's some more low key, realistic, down to earth moments to counter the insane hyperdrama, high octane, explosion/muderfests that seem to have become almost the entirety of the show. (Not that the early seasons weren't crazy, over the top, and high octane themselves).

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 am 

Dexter needs a reality check, Breaking Bad is doing fine.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 pm 

Breaking Bad gave me balls of Blue. That wasn't so much a cliff hanger as the store just not having the second disc. :fuck:

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:36 pm 

Do you guys find anything Stephen King-esque about the character of Walter White and how he "breaks"?
Did anyone read "Roadwork"?

vanadiis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yeah that Fly episode was pretty weak, though i see what they were going for with it. It's not one of those classic episodes of the show you could just watch as a standalone viewing, but if there's anything this show needs it's some more low key, realistic, down to earth moments to counter the insane hyperdrama, high octane, explosion/muderfests that seem to have become almost the entirety of the show. (Not that the early seasons weren't crazy, over the top, and high octane themselves).

I've turned like 4 or 5 people onto this show, and I always tell them to just skip that one because I don't want them to get impatient and stop watching the show altogether. People have such short attention spans, it's quite pathetic.
But FUCK I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 pm 

I kinda hope everyone in the show dies. Even the baby.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:51 pm 

You're so edgy!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:03 pm 

I thought the episode with the fly was actually pretty funny for a show that doesn't really have any humour. I mean, given the situation and all.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:20 pm 

iAm wrote:
...for a show that doesn't really have any humour

:confused: The show has tons of dark humour dude...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

vanadiis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm 

Yeah especially when he falls off the railing, and crashes into that large barrel thing stomach first. I don't know why, but that made me laugh so hard.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:59 am 

How about when Spooge's head was crushed by an ATM machine and Jesse became known for it? That was funny. :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next