Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tapsa93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:32 pm 

I started out with rock + melodeath as a kid,  along the way my musical taste developed and now my favourite genres are symphonic bm, tech death and pure dm. Obviously i never left rock and melodeath behind so theyre still there, trash, folk, bm and progressive metal just "came along" the years. But that aside, heres the stuff that being a metalhead got me into. 

just resently i started to love to listen to Ambient during i.e reading, drawing or bisycling, and it has gotten me into stuff like: nox arcana, Saurian exorcism, the two Burzum albums, latin guitar music, red army choir, some pink floyd, soundtracks from various games and movies (van helsing, kill bill etc) God of war (game series) soundtracks are fucking awesome to listen to while working out, really gets the adrenaline flowing :P) this darkish piano only music like that which is included in every fleshgod apocalypse cd or morbid angels song victorious march of reign the conqueror.  and ultimately into classical music.

Old school thras metal and death metal. Ive always been a fan of basic thras (slayer, kreator, evile and all that) but then, durin the time i "investigated" thrash metal a bit more closely i got into oldish thrash like demolition hammer and old sepultura for exmaple. And that ultimately got me into old school dm.

Gothic metal mostly through cradle of filth, nightwish, darzamat and symponic bm in general.

"cock rock" through heavily drinking with one of my friends. we suddenly got this idea to not to listen to the usual stuff while drinking and switched it to bands like dragonforce, manowar, teräsbetoni, sabaton and demons & wizards. It was fucking hilarious. 

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:19 am 

So far Metal has got me into some Punk Rock and Hardcore Punk.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:50 pm 

Because of all the folk metal I listen to, I find myself listening to a lot of folk these days.
This is some really good stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTYA8n-tw8Y&feature=plcp

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 pm 

Metal has really opened my ears to a lot of great music. Thanks to metal I listen to classical, neofolk, martial industrial, grind/pv, stuff like skinny puppy (metal got me used to harsher shit, and early skinny puppy is kind of gnarly), shoegaze, and dark ambient.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 pm 

I started many years ago with Ozzfest and Warped Tour back in elementary/middle school. That evolved into all genres of metal. I definitely somehow branched out and away from metal at some point over the last 7+ years though.. which happens to be around the last time I posted on this board. I listened to literally everything over those years from rap, country, 80’s, anything on the radio too really. Metal didn’t open me to that music though, it just brought me full circle. I got back into listening to solely metal and realized how a lot of other “music” isn’t really awesome at all.

What metal has influenced me to get into is soundtracks, theme songs (my favorite is Candyman), and instrumental type of stuff. I don’t really know how that happened, but I used to think it was the coolest thing when Rammstein was in a movie… funny now.

vanadiis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am 

Prog - Opeth leading to Porcupine Tree (who I'll fucking take over Opeth any day... goddamn love Steve Wilson)
Industrial - Shit like Fear Factory lol and Static X lol and Rammstein leading me to bands like NIN and Ministry, who then led me to KMFDM and Skinny Puppy and Pigface
Classic Rock - The majority of members in metal bands have classic influences, and if you pay enough attention, you'll catch onto a lot of Sabbath, Floyd, and even Yes.
Folk - Now I'm still discovering a lot of stuff, but listening to folk metal will bring you to real actual folk, which is fucking legit if you ask me.

BlackMarketVinyl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:30 am 

Dream Theatre got me into metal, and eventually I moved into black metal. Now I hardly listen to anything outside of black metal.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:04 am 

The only thing I can think of is Marty Friedman's solo stuff, which can be quite soft and "exotic". I remember picking up his Scenes album back in the mid-90's, and was that ever a surprise. But it grew on me and I now really enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/Crrnqc03Gjs

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3